• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll premium arrives on Xbox Gamepass Ultimate perks

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/11/09/crunchyroll-premium-arrives-on-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-perks/
Perks: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/perks

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Perks continues to bring extra value to our members with a constantly evolving catalogue of free in-game content, entertainment, and more. In the past, we’ve partnered with companies like 2K, Ubisoft, EA, Discord, and Disney+. However, we know that a lot of our gamers are big fans of watching anime, so we’re pleased to announce we’re now teaming up with Crunchyroll, the global anime brand, to bring our members Crunchyroll Premium at no extra cost.

Fbh

Can't complain about extra stuff when there's no additional cost.

So cool I guess

What's the perk? Like a free month or something?

The text in the OP seems to indicate Gamepass now includes Cruncyroll premium at no extra cost...permanently (at least for now) it seems.

Edit: seems like it is limited after all.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Kinda weird. Doesn't Sony own Crunchyroll?
Why is that weird?

MS has no reason not to work with Sony Pictures on stuff. They work with Playstation even directly.

Not like this is going to balloon GamePass numbers, so Playstation probably doesn't have a reason to get on the phone and call up Sony Pictures to complain lol.

Last edited:
The text in the OP seems to indicate Gamepass now includes Cruncyroll premium at no extra cost...permanently (at least for now) it seems
I can't see most links at work, but I would be pleasantly surprised if that's true. A lot of the streaming sites have little free month promo stuff buried in a Gamepass menu, or they can be purchased with MS Rewards.

Graciaus

Goody, so ya'll can watch Muv-Luv Alternative and The Faraway Paladin, which are my highlights for the season :D
I am enjoying muv luv but I wouldn't recommend anyone watch it without reading the visual novel. Using it as a recap for the upcoming sequel.

86 is so far the best thing this season for me.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Perfect timing for the holidays. My kids will be happy. I'll use it too, I just redeemed it to a new account. Crunchyroll membership status says good through Jan. 23, 2022. Nice perk.

MOTM

Banned
Won’t necessarily get people more people to sub to Gamepass but will get some people to upgrade to Ultimate for sure.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Haven't watched chinese cartoons in a while, maybe I'll give it a try. Gotta look up what's good these days...
Son Of A Bitch Ngapa GIF

Lokaum D+

So Xbox user gain 75 free days on Crunchroll, and Playstation user get nothing and Sony owns Crunchroll ?

That makes sense

Reizo Ryuu

I was gonna come in here and be like "great, US only"....but it's right there to be redeemed...time to binge some chinese cartoons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The fuck, didn't Sony buy CR a while back? And now it's "free" with GP but not with PS+? Lol Sony.

I know that Sony Pictures and PlayStation are pretty much separate companies that don't give a shit about each other, but still.

Last edited:
Funimation just this past week fixed their que list on the website login. Finally!
Looks like Something new is being done with these Anime subscription services. Finally!

yurinka

Doesn't Sony own Crunchyroll?
The fuck, didn't Sony buy CR a while back? And now it's "free" with GP but not with PS+? Lol Sony.

I know that Sony Pictures and PlayStation are pretty much separate companies that don't give a shit about each other, but still.
Yes, Sony owns Crunchyroll.

It's a win-win deal, both get benefited. MS gets another selling point for Game Pass Ultimate, Sony pretty likely gets paid by MS to put Crunchyroll there + Crunchyroll gets new subscribers if some users continue there after the 75 days free trial of Crunchyroll Premium (for new Crunchyrolls only, it's an extension of the 14 days free trial for Crunchy Roll Premium everyone has in all platforms) included in Game Pass Ultimate.

I can't see most links at work, but I would be pleasantly surprised if that's true. A lot of the streaming sites have little free month promo stuff buried in a Gamepass menu, or they can be purchased with MS Rewards.
For all users in all platforms (not only the GP Ultimate) Crunchyroll is free if whatching it with ads. Then there's the ads free Crunchyroll Premium which has a paid subscription and a 14 days free trial for everybody (in all platforms, not only GP Ultimate).

With this deal they are expanding this free trial period (this GP Ultimate deal is only available to new Crunchyroll users) to 75 days of CR Premium to Game Pass Ultimate. It must be claimed before 2/8/2022 and redeemed before 3/8/2022.

Last edited:

You all realize this is a promotional deal, right? Xbox users will subscribe for 3 months and continue on subscribing once the trial period is over. It benefits Microsoft and Sony if people opt into it.

Sony already did a Funimation promotion earlier this year. Sony is not gonna lock every one of its business divisions behind PlayStation hardware

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
AFAIK it's only for new CR subscribers, right? Cause they have the opposite promo but only for new GP subscribers

oldergamer

Corporations don't typically care who they work with. Different divisions have different goals.

Nintendo however will never work with Sony, they hold grudges. I know some people that worked with Nintendo and left, only to find out they were blacklisted from ever working with them again. Don't piss Nintendo off, you will regret it.

soulbait

Reading people's reaction about this, and similar business agreements show several things:

1. Many of you have no idea how businesses actually work, especially large corporations. CR, even though owned by Sony, is not the PlayStation portion of the company. This is a promotion that will mostly benefit CR through new subscriptions. For GamePass, it makes current subscribers have more value for a free 75 day demo of CR. So it helps keep numbers for GamePass versus being used to really grow numbers.

2. Many of you really view everything through console war tinted glasses. The reactions about a Sony company working with MS really spins your head, because you view both corporation as these warring factions. In reality, yes they are competitors, but they will work together when there is mutual business terms that favor both, especially when it is different departments. This is similar to when there was an announcement of MS's cloud infrastructure Azure having an agreement with Sony, as if somehow Sony was working with the enemy. In reality, Sony was just buying the ability to use a large cloud service rather than building there own. Azure probably provided the tools they needed versus AWS or another cloud provider, so they went where they had the best deal and why aligned with their services.

3. Some of ya'll really need to grow up.

FMX

Some of you guys don't understand business. Sony owns Crunchyroll not Playstation (which Sony owns too). The Crunchyroll side of the business needs to make money in their own right. They are not going to turn down money due to some stupid fanboy war. They have to recoup their investment. Geez some of you guys think these fanboy ideas exist in the real world. Just in your head.

Hey, maybe they can fund Season 2 of High Guardian Spice with this deal now? You never know ;)

They had xbox deals already before sony buying them, this is probably some legacy contract shit.

Or maybe, and just bear with me here, it's gonna get crazy up in here I know, but maybe, just maybe...

they...

...made the deal after Sony purchased Crunchyroll?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Gonna need a list of good anime to watch, I guess. Please no serialized shit that never ends like DBZ pls. Anything with a good story and/or good visuals.

Edit: strange, it's not showing up in my perk list. I only see Eternal Return 'Ultimate Bundle'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom