• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - What a fantastic game

OZ9000

Banned
So I recently completed Crysis 2 and I cannot believe how good of a game it is. I think I've had this on Steam for 10 years now; however my old potato PC could not run it well so I only played 50% of the game before I quit.

But I am glad I gave it another go. Crysis 2 is legitimately underrated. It also makes me miss games from this era - no B.S. filler involved, just an adrenaline rollercoaster experience.

- Awesome graphics
- Incredible soundtrack
- Good story with exciting twists and turns
- Solid campaign length (I was surprised it took me a full 11 hours to complete. I personally think 8-12 hours is an appropriate length for most titles anyway)
- RPG mechanics are 'light' (no forced leveling up, constantly grinding for unlocks, or artificial difficulty scaling)
- No side missions
- Good variety in locations
- Battles are intense in the second half of the game

The game starts off with open and sandbox like arenas but the pace subsequently kicks up and the campaign does become more linear, however you still have flexibility on how to approach the game. Nevertheless, there is absolutely nothing wrong with linear titles IMO. Some of the best games I have ever played are linear e.g. Resident Evil 4, MGS1/MGS2/MGS3, God Of War 2/3, Halo 3.

If you like FPS games, go play Crysis 2.

10/10 would play again

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
So I recently completed Crysis 2 and I cannot believe how good of a game it is. It also makes me miss games from this era - no B.S. filler involved, just an adrenaline rollercoaster experience.

Crysis 2 is legitimately underrated.

- Awesome graphics
- Incredible soundtrack
- Good story with exciting twists and turns
- Solid campaign length (I was surprised it took me a full 11 hours to complete. I personally think 8-12 hours is an appropriate length for most titles anyway)
- RPG mechanics are 'light' (no forced leveling up, constantly grinding for unlocks, or artificial difficulty scaling)
- No side missions

The game starts off with open and sandbox like arenas but the pace subsequently kicks up and the campaign does become more linear, however you still have flexibility on how to approach the game. Nevertheless, there is absolutely nothing wrong with linear titles IMO. Some of the best games I have ever played are linear e.g. Resident Evil 4, MGS1/MGS2/MGS3, God Of War 2/3, Halo 3.

If you like FPS games, go play Crysis 2.

10/10 would play again
Are you playing the original or remastered?

I bought the remastered collection on Xbox, but haven't played them yet. Only played maybe an hour of 2 when it came out.

OZ9000

Banned
Are you playing the original or remastered?

I bought the remastered collection on Xbox, but haven't played them yet. Only played maybe an hour of 2 when it came out.
Original game.

I also installed this modpack

stn

It is very solid but I feel like it was missing proper boss fights. I'd give a B+ overall. Good but could have been better.

GametimeUK

Back when I was a console pleb I remember being impressed by the tessellation on the bricks in this game when my friend was showing off his gaming rig to me. The framerate melted my mind. Fun times the game looked good...

but dem bricks!!!!

Run-M-Run

Definitely bombastic visuals, soundtrack and good gameplay to boot. The multiplayer was awesome, too bad it didn't survive. Just wish we would've gotten a sequel to C1, this was a huge departure in terms of gameplay and openness.

OZ9000

Banned
It's the best crysis game.
I replayed the first one remaster in 2022... it's still weird and ends in like 5 hours.
You aren't kidding

I saw the last 10 minutes - that's got to be the worst ending to a game ever.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Crysis remastered is a bastardized version of the original.
They patched a lot of the stuff. Added the breakable objects and so on.
I've finished original crysis like 5 times. So I felt the urge to replay remastered. But I was just shocked how short it was somehow haha.
I've yet to paly Crysis 2. I think only consoles version of it support HDR, so I might go with that

OZ9000

Banned
They patched a lot of the stuff. Added the breakable objects and so on.
I've finished original crysis like 5 times. So I felt the urge to replay remastered. But I was just shocked how short it was somehow haha.
I've yet to paly Crysis 2. I think only consoles version of it support HDR, so I might go with that
Is Crysis 1 Remastered worth playing?

I do like how well Crysis 2 controls with a controller tbh.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is Crysis 1 Remastered worth playing?

I do like how well Crysis 2 controls with a controller tbh.
Of course it is. Ps5 version is a bit shitty though so I've played it on pc.
I've heard crysis 2 on console is a different port.

The blueprint is fantastic. But the scope stepdown from Crysis 1 is pronounced.

But imagine if this game were a 1:1 recreation of NYC under siege by alien forces? My god....

SkylineRKR

Crysis 2 is probably my number one Crysis game. The first is better for the first handful of levels but then it jumps the shark with the vehicle sections and ultimately the alien invasion. The first also has the original suit controls patched in, on consoles too. Which are vastly superior since you can simply enable your enhancement of choice. But that recharge time... it takes some pacing away.

Crysis 2 is more consistent throughout but never reaches the heights of C1 either. But both games didn't hold up well for me. I beat both remasters last year and didn't have as much fun with them as I once had. I always feel weak somehow, despite having the suit. It depletes fast. The AI is kind of shaky as well. Gunplay and controls feel kind of dated.

3 was ok but shorter and worse than both. Design of 3 was basically corridor, open room, corridor.

I would like to see Crysis to return though, I think the suit gameplay is potentially awesome and they can do lots of stuff with it today.

I saw the last 10 minutes - that's got to be the worst ending to a game ever.

And then Crysis 2 is completely different, happens in New York, retcons everything, even the aliens are different. It basically pulls a Quake 2 but pretends it's a sequel to the first game.
I like it very much and the sci-fi stuff is actually pretty cool, but it's not what I wanted or needed.

Mr Hyde

Crysis 2 is much better than the first one. I compare it to the Predator. First one with Arnie was in the jungle (as was Crysis), second movie takes place in the city (as was Crysis 2). First Predator is more popular (like Crysis) but second movie (and Crysis 2) is much better and more fleshed out (and of course much more underrated).

Best Crysis game? Best Crysis game. Legit makes(most) of 1 unplayable. Seriously, how could Crytek fuck the pacing up so bad? I kinda dread playing it again on PS4.

Top Bottom