• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 Remastered Blackfire Mod is 🔥

TxKnight7

Blackfire is considered one of the best mods for the original versions of Crysis 2 and Crysis 3. Now The Blackfire team has released two new versions of its mod for Crysis 2 Remastered and Crysis 3 Remastered.

WfPrY3y.jpg

5UoAc4e.jpg

dWrTTpc.jpg

Last edited:

SZips

I couldn't tell what the differences were supposed to be until I read the video description.

BlackFire's Mod 3 is a lighting mod for Crysis 3 Remastered that completely changes the look of the game, transforming the game's original dark atmosphere into a colorful sunny day for all levels.

This mod makes all the levels daytime (including the first one). This mod was made for the players who don't mind changing the original artstyle of the game and prefer to play the game in a bright sunny day and those who always wondered how the night levels would look like during daytime.

I mean... ok? That seems really odd. As does this:

Some of the game's strutures don't cast shadow properly whith my lighthing changes, so be aware that some places the lighting can look a little bit odd, but that's the choice I made and I'm happy with it.

Why is this mod considered "one of the best" for the original release?

I did not like Blackfire in Crysis 3. My issue with Blackfire was that it makes some pretty nonsensical changes that the creator likes but other may not. It tends to change the entire atmosphere of the game's levels completely resulting in many areas losing any sense of depth and the lighting becoming flat.

I ran my own Reshade that was light on processing but accentuated the contrast already present in the game.

The Dome's lover dam section is full of shadowed crevices and dark hiding spots. The area was dark and shadowed by design to encourage the player to use his long-range weapons from cover. Blackfire destroys this by having many of the dark areas fully lit making everything too easy to pick out for the player and making it seem like the NPCs are just blind, breaking immersion.

With a light Reshade:
23hr2JW.jpg

AsjlZT0.jpg

K9f6kTa.jpg

With Blackfire:
WfPrY3y.jpg

Heavily overgrown sections of the Dome are the same, with plenty of shadows to lose track of enemy characters in. The areas pictured are relatively close to each other in the game.

Light Reshade:
zxskunY.jpg

OPvFQjp.jpg

TLcCemQ.jpg

With Blackfire:
5UoAc4e.jpg

Chinatown is absolutely ruined with the mod. At this point in the game it becomes a borderline horror game as the aliens show up. The enemy presence is ramped up drastically in both number and difficulty and you're fighting them in the dark. It's supposed to be near-pitch black with only the Dome spotlights and fires lighting your way requiring you to use your abilities to track them. The eerie feel of the original game is gone with Blackfire.

Light reshade:
4XniBFs.jpg

With Blackfire
dWrTTpc.jpg

CamHostage

Chinatown is absolutely ruined with the mod. At this point in the game it becomes a borderline horror game as the aliens show up. The enemy presence is ramped up drastically in both number and difficulty and you're fighting them in the dark. It's supposed to be near-pitch black with only the Dome spotlights and fires lighting your way requiring you to use your abilities to track them. The eerie feel of the original game is gone with Blackfire.

Light reshade:
4XniBFs.jpg

With Blackfire
dWrTTpc.jpg

It is essentially the point of Blackfire, though, that for some reason there are people who want an all-daytime look in their games instead of the time setting the artists created it for, so this modder light/color-corrected the game for daylight.
Why? I'm not sure.

Top Bottom