• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Trilogy Remastered

I picked up the Crysis Remasters during the Epic Sale. Having not played them since near launch, I wanted to give them a spin. I'm extremely happy I did.

Crysis 2 is the standout in hindsight. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the very best SP FPS games of all time.

GRAPHICS: It strikes a rare balance of dripping with post processing effects without suffering any of the ill effects of it. It retains a clean and high fidelity look that is sometimes lost in pools of DOF, bloom and blur in other titles. Detail is out of this world and textures are crispier than fresh Raising Cains chicken. The ray tracing adds a lot at very little expense. Being a poor with a 1070Ti, I'm actually able to use it without dropping too many frames. It is not Nvidia based, so anyone can enjoy the effects.

FEEL: This game has tactile feedback in spades. You know when you've hit an enemy without the use of hit markers. Your weapons have terrific weight while still feeling nimble because of this. I feel it's in the S-Tier of games that do this well along with juggernauts like FEAR. The variety of weapons is perfect. The sniper rifle, shotgun and combat rifles feel great and clearly defined. The SCAR has a completely different feel than the Scarab. I like them all so much that one thing I can fault it on is not letting us carry more than two. Which still has the upside of having to choose your loadout carefully. The DSR sniper rifle and Marshall shotgun is my go-to pair. What a shotgun it is! A great combination of range and stopping power. One of the very best rangey shotguns that I can think of.

Traversal is fast and furious. I felt like a nimble gazelle running and sliding into cover moments before my cloak loses power. You have a terrific amount of control.

The player has a bevy of options for how to tackle each section. Stealth is rewarding and fair, with just the right amount of suit energy to feel both powerful and vulnerable at the same time. Going loud is just as viable, but IMO requires more skill. YouTube has terrific videos of people who've mastered this route and they're truly stunning.

The soundtrack is one of the very best of all time. I'll just leave this here.

If there is interest in the thread I'll add more thoughts later. I encourage anyone who loves a good SP FPS to pick these beauties up before the sale ends. They run terrifically on potato tier computers.

stn

I also got the trilogy after beating the games years ago on the X360. Very solid games but I didn't like the fact that
there were very few boss fights. You're this super-powered soldier but you're always fighting grunts.

I also got the trilogy after beating the games years ago on the X360. Very solid games but I didn't like the fact that
there were very few boss fights. You're this super-powered soldier but you're always fighting grunts.
I'm trying to think of an actually good FPS boss battle and struggling to do so. I agree in theory. Perhaps something like the Halo 2 Scarab.

Crysis 2 has a masterpiece blueprint. Issue was primarily execution, caused by adapting the design to consoles and their then technical limitations.

Crysis 2 has a masterpiece blueprint. Issue was primarily execution, caused by adapting the design to consoles and their then technical limitations.
That was how I felt at launch. Maybe the drought of quality games has raised my opinion of it. Playing it again in the Remaster is like a whole new experience. We all wanted something like Crysis 1, but the scope of these sequels is akin to the "open yet linear" sandbox of Halo games. I believe they've aged very well.

Have you tried since the performance patch? 2 and 3 run much better though.
Performance wasn't the problem, the issue was I could only see basic level geometry in low resolution lol. Even on the basic settings I couldn't see a damn thing and my laptop is somewhat old but near the higher tier.

You've convinced me to give it another go. I beat it when it first came out, but thought it was a straight 7. Notably, I thought that the most remarkable thing about it was the intro music...so much so that I felt it set me up for disappointment in the actual game, lol.

One of my biggest complaints was the lack of character progression: You start out with the exact same capabilities you end with. This was during the era when everyone else was going the other direction, so it may feel better now than it did then.

You've convinced me to give it another go. I beat it when it first came out, but thought it was a straight 7. Notably, I thought that the most remarkable thing about it was the intro music...so much so that I felt it set me up for disappointment in the actual game, lol.

One of my biggest complaints was the lack of character progression: You start out with the exact same capabilities you end with. This was during the era when everyone else was going the other direction, so it may feel better now than it did then.
There are a few suit powers you can "level up" but the real level up is your own skill set from just experience and familiarity with the tools.

Top Bottom