• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Asks About Ryse: Son Of Rome, Gets Huge Response From Xbox Fans - "Please bring it back"

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

It's been ten years (!) since Ryse: Son of Rome debuted as an Xbox One launch title back in 2013, and people are still talking about it. While it didn't get the most outstanding reviews, the game's breathtaking visuals, engrossing story and addictive hack-and-slash combat left an impression on many Xbox fans over the past decade.

Randomly, Crytek decided to bring up the game in a Twitter post this week, and it ended up getting a big response, circulating to around 165,000 people thanks to the high number of retweets and likes that it received.

As you can imagine, the responses were full of praise for the game, with many people pointing out how they'd love to see either a remake or a sequel (or both), while also sharing their favourite memories:

Life_Is_Xbox: "This had everything to be a massive Xbox exclusive franchise. Shame we never got a sequel!"

Charlie_Hust77: "Just a genuinely beautiful, epic and fun game. My personal favorite of the last generation. Would absolutely love a sequel and it would be a day one purchase."

Faithtwelve: "It's one of the most underrated games of last Gen. Incredible story paired with great gameplay and world."

There have always been calls for Ryse: Son of Rome to get a sequel, and the original plan appeared to be that it would become a franchise rather than a one-off game. Nevertheless, we've never seen any concrete evidence that Ryse 2 is in development, despite a rumour that surfaced a couple of years ago that it could be in the works.

It seems unlikely at this point that Ryse: Son of Rome will ever return to Xbox, but at least we can play the original as part of backwards compatibility on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. How about a 60FPS upgrade and resolution boost, Crytek? That's what we'd realistically like to see in 2023.

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

Spaceman292

Banned
The story had a couple of cool moments, like when that guy fell onto the huge statue and stuff. Still not good enough to be brought back.

Codes 208

The game got a lot of undue hate because of the initial qte combat in its trailer, but in the game itself, it was much faster and honestly a joy to play. Not amazing or a GoW killer, but it was fun (and graphically id argue it was to xbox one what gears was to xbox 360

Even had a fun co-op wave mode to play

Last edited:

ShadowNate

It's been rotting for years in my backlog along with probably hundreds of other titles I tell myself I'll play one day.
Still haven't felt like moving it up in the queue.

It's a great ride whose only major flaw is that it has three bad guy models.
Each new level looks better than the last one and all have a memorable visual theme. The Colosseum was astonishing, I have a very strong memory of playing that section while utterly dumbfounded by how good it looks and runs (on PC of course).

TheStam

Absolutely made me drop my jaw when I played it when I got my Steam Deck last year. Looks stunning on a handheld. Controls were janky and weirdly mapped I felt. Still enjoyed it quite a bit.

freefornow

Gold Member
Considering the shifts in development focus (Kinect, then shift to XB1) its no wonder the game ended up as it did. Great visuals but some of the gameplay missed the mark. I enjoed the game though.
Would love a remake (more character models, remove QTE's, enhance visuals/game logic).
Then a sequel.

Kikorin

Setting and graphics were awesome, but the game was unbelievable bland and boring. Maybe with a lot of adjustments could make a worthy comeback.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pretty game. Combat has major issues. Its ... fine. Nothing that notable attached to the IP. Could start from scratch and would be fine

Warablo

It was better than I thought it was gonna be, but surely hope they make the sequel have actual gameplay. Still think it would be hard sell on consumers to buy it at full price.

moniker

I recently played this on PC. It still looks good (at 4K 100+ fps) but it's a fairly mediocre game. Still fun in small bursts though but I couldn't stand playing more than one level at a time.

I wouldn't say no to a sequel though.

Hugare

Randomly, Crytek decided to bring up the game in a Twitter post this week, and it ended up getting a big response, circulating to around 165,000 people thanks to the high number of retweets and likes that it received.

Circulating = tweet views

How many of those people actually retweeted? 191. And 56 comments.

From "huge response" I was expecting some form of interaction from the fans. But not really. 179k people probably looked at it while scrolling twitter and said "what is this game again?"

Game looks great to this day, but it was a glorified tech demo that should stay dead. There are many more games more deserving of being revived than Ryse.

Bragr

Banned
It was cool, but I just remember fighting the same looking guys over and over and over and some bad AI and a lot of linear design.

But Ryse and The Order deserve more. Huge potential in both games.

simpatico

In the realm of launch games, it was great. One of the more polished and fully realized launch games (that still impressed graphically). Almost a modernized beat em up with well done Roman styling. Combat was very simple but fun. Game is short enough that you won't tire of it too much. COD campaign length, pacing and quality.

Variahunter

Well it pains me a bit to see that game receive more love than forgotten classics like Vagrant Story, Jet Force Gemini, Ogre Battle, Shinobido…

Is this really what people want ? Games with barebones level design and gameplay ? Sure there’s spectacle but that’s not why I play games…

Banned
dogshit game. one of the worst games in its genre actually.
the only ones that I'd say are worse are really old arcade brawlers by bad developers

Top Bottom