• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek vs Naughty dog?

TxKnight7

Both studios are very well known for pushing boundaries in games graphics
but who made the better looking games that was released the ( same year ) from both?
2013 - The last of us | Ryse Crysis 3
2011 - Uncharted 3 | Crysis 2
2009 - Uncharted 2 | Crysis warhead
2007 - Uncharted drake's fortune | Crysis

According to Digital foundry experts Crytek games has the more advanced Tech/Graphics especially on pc
with more open levels/environment than ND games in that time

5WASzDF.jpg

Richard Leadbetter،
"Crysis 2 on console is an exceptional release.
phenomenally attractive game, producing effects quite different and in many ways more advanced than anything we've seen elsewhere on console. We all wanted Crysis on console to be an event, a showcase release: by and large, Crytek has delivered, and those cutting edge visuals are backed by a truly impressive game design".

John dark1x 2021
" before we go into all of the details again i just have to stress how good crysis 3 still looks today i mean this was released before the last generation of consoles i think it still holds up, looks like a Ps4 and xbox one generation title in a way that kind of shocking".

"When it comes to advancing the state of real-time rendering technology, Crytek has long stood at the forefront of the industry.
-
"The fact that Crysis 3 runs on console at all is a remarkable achievement, with Crytek deploying a wide range of advanced rendering techniques"

"Crysis 3 is one of the most technically accomplished games of this generation, a visually spectacular piece of software that pushes graphical boundaries on all platforms.
And with all its graphical settings pushed to the max."

"Crysis 3 on PC effectively offers a "next-gen now" experience - a preview of the level of technical prowess we should expect in the years to come from the new wave of consoles".

Alex - 2018
"Crysis first released on PC. In 2007, it pushed real time rendering to new heights and spawned the memetic phrase, "but can it run Crysis?". Never had a game released that pushed hardware and engine technology so much, and never has one since."

JkK9jDj.jpg

6BiM7Dy.jpg

MgA786J.jpg

Re39kHJ.jpg

uyo8OKJ.jpg

mP11JY0.jpg

CFRM0tF.jpg

BQCipIa.jpg

dVf0D5q.jpg

rUc2wWT.jpg

vpoCd6A.jpg

UiDU3kI.jpg

1RujINT.jpg

IM5sFbH.jpg

wSZgU9x.jpg

eJitU5t.jpg

I6FIT8K.jpg

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is this comparison as fucking dumb as I think it is, or am I just too dumb to understand.

Edit: oh, reread the OP. Disregard.

Edit2: wait no. I did read this right the first time. I go back to my opinion this thread us dumb.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Comparing a PC-centric studio to developer owned by a console manufacturer doesn't make any sense. The gap in hardware specs is too large, no matter if you're comparing Uncharted to Crysis, or Crysis 3/Ryse to The Last Of Us.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Not exactly fair to Naughty Dog. Their games on the same platform look far superior to Crytek. Crysis, 2, and 3 looked better than anything on gen 7 consoles but they also required machines far more powerful than the consoles to look much better. Crysis 3 was also effectively a high-end 8th generation game when it was released in 2013 and remained among the best looking 8th gen games for a few years.

Give Naughty Dog a high-powered PC and I'm sure they could do wonders too. They already did on anemic machines.

That said, Ryse on X1 did look pretty freakin' amazing despite its low base resolution.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Crytek. They've been at the tip of the spear for pushing the boundaries for a decade. In terms of game quality (for my subjective tastes) I think the games are more replayble too. But I can play my fav FPS campaigns once every couple years and still enjoy them.

OG Crysis on PC still has not been surpassed when you factor in the physics engine. Games are prettier now, but the worlds are lifeless. No cutting down trees with an LMG or blowing up shacks with physics based collapses.

ND is still very, very good at what they do, and from a console-only perspective deserve to be in the conversation in terms of graphics.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Naughty Dog been able to focus on a single hardware platform with direct access to the engineering team that built it, giving them advantages that a shop like Crytek doesn't have.

In general I would give Crytek the check mark because I think it comes a bit harder for them, but I think the comparison is a bit flawed. They make different kinds of games.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Crytek when it comes to visuals by about 2 landslides.
This comparison makes no sense and is unfair to Naughty Dog as they mainly make just console games which are way better than Crytek games imo.
Hell, even Crysis with the enhanced edition mod looks better than all the ND games mentioned.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

the fact that a game RUNS AT ALL on said console is considered a milestone baffles me , crysis 1 , 2 and 3 were hideous on ps3/360 and there were much better alternatives available on both
on consoles it is naughty dog
on PC it is crytek
I still think even on consoles
crytek games were more advanced the tech and visuals like DF said even the cinematic were real-time in-game, while all ND games cutscenes were (FMV) video files plus their games are more linear than crysis games
For example this is in-game real time you can even move the camera on the characters with the controller but you can't find in uncharted 3 or last of us a real time in game cutscene that looks better

igzFjjX.jpg

"No more pre-rendered cutscenes from Naughty Dog starting with Uncharted 4".

8mjxL7N.jpg

Last edited:

TagZ

I wish Crytek was making a new Hunt Showdown instead of another Crysis. Feels like Hunt is held together with duck tape even though the game seems to be slowly growing.

Played Crysis on the PS3 and it's impressive in the sense that they got it to run on that box. The PS360 generation was probably the last one where we got state of the art custom hardware built for games. It was a different world back then. It also helps that the software engineering world was full of God-tier developers who've seemingly all got burnt out and moved on from games.

I'd be surprised if Crytek wasn't acquired by Sony. They're just a perfect fit for WWS considering Insomniac and GG have apparently decided to stop making FPS games. They've got Bungie but desperately need some first party FPS. Hoping the next Bluepoint game is an RFOM remake with full multi-player.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I still think even on consoles
crytek games were more advanced the tech and visuals like DF said even the cinematic were real-time in-game, while all ND games cutscenes were (FMV) video files plus their games are more linear than crysis games
For example this is in-game real time you can even move the camera on the characters with the controller but you can't find in uncharted 3 or last of us a real time in game cutscene that looks better

igzFjjX.jpg

"No more pre-rendered cutscenes from Naughty Dog starting with Uncharted 4".
People share face shots to show how realistic cutscenes look when they're basically just high-quality skin textures, which is not hard to pull off for developers.

Cutscenes on Crysis 3 used a lot of the rendering budget on a single character during cutscenes, which is different than a lot of Naughty Dog games. Naughty Dog games rendered entire scenes (pre-rendered and real-time) versus Crysis which mostly rendered mostly the characters up close.

Laptop1991

I loved Crysis 1 back in 07 and the original Far Cry, i've only ever played Crytek's games as a PC gamer, but the truth is they never really matched the 1st game since that time and while i'm not a PS5 gamer Naughty Dog have put out regular good games that do well on Playstation, and Crytek haven't made anything really good for a long while now.

Neo_game

ND are way overrated IMO. Crytek games on consoles I do not think are too well optimized. So ND is definitely better on consoles. It is no fair comparison but Crytek games on PC is obviously superior. lol.

OCASM

Banned
Cutscenes on Crysis 3 used a lot of the rendering budget on a single character during cutscenes, which is different than a lot of Naughty Dog games. Naughty Dog games rendered entire scenes (pre-rendered and real-time) versus Crysis which mostly rendered mostly the characters up close.

Mhh...

SHA

Fps to 3rd ps , apples to oranges, 3rd ps runs on a weaker hardware , I don't dislike it but there's a quite difference, you can't bring all the nice stuff about pc into consoles , crytek didn't make the poor decisions that resulted the stuff we got, it's the hardware that limits the experience, 3rd ps isn't a nice modern choice for a new game either, look what happened to most of them , it didn't succeed to set a standard for the industry, a piece of art that works for its own self, you can't take something good about it and add onto it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Crytek was on top of the world for a short moment in time but they dropped the ball so hard it actually created a black hole so big it warped spacetime and made everyone retroactively forget Crytek was ever a thing.

Crytek was the leader, and their engine produced stunning results. They tried to push their engine as a middle ware alternative to Unreal but their engine is alot harder to use, and it's optimisation for CPU is dog shit.
What they managed to do with Ryse on the OG Xbox One is nuts. That game still hold up today
Crytek found themselves in financial trouble, couldn't pay workers, lost talent and for some unknown reason didn't keep making new games. It was Crysis or die.
This has hurt them.
Their tech is no longer world leading, they have no super IP, and fuck all money coming in.

Naughty Dog have the benefit of only having to work on one peice of hardware, on an engine born from the cluster fuck of the PS3.
This has now made them industry leaders in graphic fidelity and performance. What they managed to get out of the base PS4 is amazing.

This is not a fair comparison. One is a studio on the decline, the other at the top of their game.

lukilladog

Crytek dropped the ball with Crysis 1 remaster, hdr looks bad and looks ugly in general because its based on the console version. 2 and 3 have fast ray tracing and look pretty good, but they dont support HDR. Uncharted remakes are very good and look great on HDR despite not having RT. Naughty dog is doing better now.

fermcr

Crytek started out good as a game developer (Far Cry and Crysis) but got worse as time went by. Nowadays they are basically irrelevant. They have a game engine (CryEngine) that produces great graphics, but unfortunately not many developers use it.

The best thing that could happen to Crytek would be if someone purchased them.

Even as an Xbox guy it would be absurd to claim Crytek is a superior dev to Naughty Dog. All the pretty engines in the world doesn't make up for the fact that they haven't done anything significant in a decade.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's good of you to post this thread but you can find the answer in their history of releases. One has a rock solid consistency dating back from the mid-90s? The other has great technical games that push hardware but it's not as consistent.

Unless it's an argument about something that is your favorite in relation to a game or something that was on a certain platform but one company of the two that you refer to and still relevant versus the other that is been pretty stagnant recently.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Folks forget Crytek did the first (and best) Far Cry game, before the franchise got Ubisofted. That game in freaking 2004 was insane.

I'd still choose naughty dog for the first 4 crash games. Not for the cover shooters ffs...

Last edited:
Top Bottom