• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek vs Naughty dog?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
On a pure technical level Uncharted was a pretty looking postcard, while Crysis was doing crazy levels of detail that all other developers simply can’t be bothered to do. That could be because of time, money, whatever - that level of detail just doesn’t happen. Well, Rockstar comes super close.

Now if we’re talking Ryse, then it’s just a really pretty game versus other really pretty games. I’d give Naughty Dog the edge simply with their superior character animations.

If we’re doing Naughty versus Guerilla, the nod goes to Naughty. Guerilla’s good, but they’re not in ND’s level. Once again ND’s facial and character animations are on a level shared by few others. Guerilla sure ain’t one of them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Crytek and it's not even close. People still use the original Crysis (2007) to benchmark their rigs. Just insanity.
Naughty dog game have 4 goty winner meanwhile crytek zero > better? Only 2 game considered good ( crysis 1 and crysis warhead)

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Crytek was ahead of its time in graphics until 2013, when Ryse came out.
Many modern advancement were introduced in Crysis 1, 2 and 3.

Then they stopped to pay people, many talented devs left, now it's just a good developer with decent games.

Crytek games might be an acquired taste or something because I think their gamedesign and -play is where they actually shine the most.
Their tech was top notch for a while, kind of doing what Doom3 and HL2 did in FC1, with their first game, "easily" competing with THE veterans of the genre. Did a new studio ever do that? Rise to the top from nowhere? They widened the levels of linear shooters with Crysis. Something Stalker and Metro Exodus did later and I think Boiling Point did first on an actual open world scale. And C2 and 3 were designed around allowing different approaches, either guns blazing, or stealth equally possible (at least in many situations). Metro is I think the only current game which allows that. Maybe even perfected it, with its no-kills possibilities. Deus Ex would probably a similar league. Ryse was a competent, casual-friendly, fair Batman like game, with awesome visuals but a very mediocre story to begin with (sort of like Dantes Inferno which should have been an easy copycat victory) and the Kinect nonsense launch which did hurt everything.
While Naughty Dog just used the God of War formula of epic setpieces and rather usual gameplay.
Imho ND games might feel better, but Crytek made the actually better games.

Fbh

Back then Crytek but they were usually targeting much better hardware. During the last few years of the 360/Ps3 generation the gap between PC and console versions of games was massive.
The console version of their games was close but I'd give the edge to ND.

These days there's not even a competition, I don't even know what Crytek is doing.

On a pure technical level Uncharted was a pretty looking postcard, while Crysis was doing crazy levels of detail that all other developers simply can’t be bothered to do. That could be because of time, money, whatever - that level of detail just doesn’t happen. Well, Rockstar comes super close.

Now if we’re talking Ryse, then it’s just a really pretty game versus other really pretty games. I’d give Naughty Dog the edge simply with their superior character animations.

If we’re doing Naughty versus Guerilla, the nod goes to Naughty. Guerilla’s good, but they’re not in ND’s level. Once again ND’s facial and character animations are on a level shared by few others. Guerilla sure ain’t one of them.

maxresdefault.jpg

To be fair to Guerilla Forbidden West was a massive improvement in terms of character models and animations.
For example this is a minor side character for a minor sidequest:
33TmZaL.jpg

The animations still aren't as good as ND but there's also a lot more cutscenes and dialog scenes in Horizon than any ND game.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I would say ND, what they were able to achieve on PS3 alone is badshit crazy. Crytek games looks crap on console, Ryze is an exception, but its so linear and boring. I don't even consider it a contender.
ND gave us U1,2,3 and TLOU on PS3. Still blows my mind.

Alphagear

Guerilla Games would be a better comparison.

Just look at Killzone 2/3 on the PS3 to Crysis 2/3.

Then compare Ryse to Killzone Shadowfall and Horizon 1/2.

As impressive as Crysis/Ryse games were on console, nothing comes to close to Killzone Shadowfall at launch and Horizon Forbidden West on the PS4.

Nobody fucks with naughty dog when it comes to visuals and presentation. Rockstar got the closest with RDR2. Nobody else is in their league.

That Crytek does not exist. This is where they are at now

xggTyFr.jpg
W7awjMU.jpg

Don't need to even show Naughty Dogs recent work
That's not exactly a fair comparison.

Hunt is 5 years old, hasn't been upgraded to any of the newer versions of the engine and since it's a highly competitive skilled based multiplayer game, everyone plays it on ultra low settings to get the best FPS. The game doesn't look bad when maxed out but it was never going for the graphic pushing limits that a Crysis or their Ray Tracing demo is.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I take it we are talking purely graphically right?

• FarCry - Naughty Dog were still doing Jak games when this came out.
  • Crysis - Nuff said
  • Crysis 2 - Limited scope but still a graphical powerhouse.
  • Crysis 3 - Still a benchmark to this day.
  • Ryse - Not a great game, but graphically next level when it launched. On a frikken Xbox One VCR no less.
  • Robinson - One of the best looking VR titles when it dropped.
  • Hunt Showdown - Svogi for the win!!

Lets see what they can do with Crysis 4.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

Crytek was on top of the world for a short moment in time but they dropped the ball so hard it actually created a black hole so big it warped spacetime and made everyone retroactively forget Crytek was ever a thing.
Ok i had to laugh 🤣
But they are coming back with Crysis 4, and maybe Ryse 2 if the rumors are true.

TxKnight7

Naughty dog render bones under the character skin.

Is not even a debate. Seriously those guys are obsessed with details.
Arguing is just a waste of time

uncharted-thinking.gif

7 years ago
I meant games that was released the same year from both , but i agree on uncharted 4 being the best looking the year it was released.

TxKnight7

Comparing a PC-centric studio to developer owned by a console manufacturer doesn't make any sense. The gap in hardware specs is too large, no matter if you're comparing Uncharted to Crysis, or Crysis 3/Ryse to The Last Of Us.
Clearly Richard from DF says on consoles
(The year it was released)

"Crysis 2 on console is an exceptional release.
phenomenally attractive game, producing effects quite different and in many ways more advanced than anything we've seen elsewhere on console. We all wanted Crysis on console to be an event, a showcase release: by and large, Crytek has delivered, and those cutting edge visuals are backed by a truly impressive game design".

GymWolf

Ryse son of rome had some of the best animations last gen despite beeing a launch title. Its mind blowing how good the animations are even during gameplay.
2616518-6755660508-uploa.gif

ValuableSafeBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

d6uqija-ccd983b1-9b0c-4b1e-97e2-f5ed2675d0a9.gif
I played the game and i was not particualrly impressed with the animations, they were ok but nowhere near the realism of tlou2, i hated the small scripted cutscene for the fatalities.

What was good was the digital acting, especially on this dude

Ryse-6.jpg

TxKnight7

Pretty close in terms of visuals. Naughty Dog miles ahead in animation and game design.
Funny because a ND dev himself said

“Really excited to hear about Crysis Remastered, I have fond memories of working on the original console port,” Cooper said in his tweet. “Its sandbox approach to gameplay later became hugely influential on my ‘wide-linear’ level design in Uncharted 4 and beyond.”

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ryse son of rome had some of the best animations last gen despite beeing a launch title. Its mind blowing how good the animations are even during gameplay.
2616518-6755660508-uploa.gif

ValuableSafeBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

d6uqija-ccd983b1-9b0c-4b1e-97e2-f5ed2675d0a9.gif
Naughty Dog is on a completely different level. Unmatched hit reactions.

untitled-2ock7e.gif

Unmatched facial animations.
This is arguably the only facial animation in video game history where you can lip-read the characters lips:

EeJE0ly.gif

"Please stop"

Majormaxxx

maxresdefault.jpg
This pic reminds me of the dreadful, horrible models in Medal of Honor Warfighter

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I played the game and i was not particualrly impressed with the animations, they were ok but nowhere near the realism of tlou2, i hated the small scripted cutscene for the fatalities.

What was good was the digital acting, especially on this dude

Ryse-6.jpg
I mean yeah TLOU2 is better obv. but its not miles ahead. Its better because it released 5 years later when the tech advanced. If Crytek and MS could make Ryse 2 im sure that it would be one of the best again.

Naughty Dog is on a completely different level. Unmatched hit reactions.

untitled-2ock7e.gif

Unmatched facial animations.
This is arguably the only facial animation in video game history where you can lip-read the characters lips:

EeJE0ly.gif

"Please stop"
Like i said, TLOU2 is better, but not on a different level better. You guys act like ND are the only one that can do great animation and others are far below.
Look at Marcus face in game, see how detailed the facial animation is. And the Hit detection and cuts where also in Ryse as seen in my gifs i posted earlier. You could even chop off arms legs and everything. This game launched in 2013 on a toaster lol
2.gif

%C7%C7%B4%CF%BD%AC.gif

19704bz2qd3dygif.gif

GymWolf

I mean yeah TLOU2 is better obv. but its not miles ahead. Its better because it released 5 years later when the tech advanced. If Crytek and MS could make Ryse 2 im sure that it would be one of the best again.

Like i said, TLOU2 is better, but not on a different level better. You guys act like ND are the only one that can do great animation and others are far below.
Look at Marcus face in game, see how detailed the facial animation is. And the Hit detection and cuts where also in Ryse as seen in my gifs i posted earlier. You could even chop off arms legs and everything. This game launched in 2013 on a toaster lol
2.gif

tbf, tlou2 also run on a toaster:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

TxKnight7

Guerilla Games would be a better comparison.

Just look at Killzone 2/3 on the PS3 to Crysis 2/3.

Then compare Ryse to Killzone Shadowfall and Horizon 1/2.

As impressive as Crysis/Ryse games were on console, nothing comes to close to Killzone Shadowfall at launch and Horizon Forbidden West on the PS4.
Killzone 2/3 are way more linear than Crysis 2/3 on consoles with worse physics/effects/textures and overall visuals the cutscenes are pre rendered too unlike Crysis 3 wich has more advanded tech/graphics and all real time
Ryse not only own the SIGGRAPH award for best graphics over killzone shadow fall
Also from the DF analysis
" if you really want a taste of what we can expect from the next generation of consoles, Ryse towers over the rest.")

Rubik8

Well, Naughty Dog makes games I want to play to the end, and Crytek hasn’t made a game that held my interest more than an hour. So I guess graphics are irrelevant.

SABRE220

Hard to compare them since they had wildly different constraints and goals. Crytek did something that hasnt been replicated for three generations of hardware, they legit said screw consoles we are going to push tech so far that nothing for a generation will even come close. Essentially they designed their game around unlimited hardware power for that generation of tech and the results were justified, honestly nothing even came remotely close the sheer scale of physics and fidelity was mindboggling. Once people used mods we had physics involved with massive nuclear weapons affecting hundreds of individual objects and foliage...even most current-gen games are embarrassing in comparison to the physics in Crysis match that with the ridiculous fidelity and crytek earned their status as the tour de force in graphics design for the two generations. Unfortunately, they also served as a cautionary tale on the reality of monetary constraints and feasible design decisions as our current gaming climate evolved.

Onto naughty dog what they did with 400mb of splitram, and the paltry rsx was amazing. The sheer level of detail and results they managed to bring out of the ps3 was ridiculous but again their attention to detail is what sets them apart amongst sony's elite in terms of sheer technical prowess honestly guerilla and ssm were right up there if not better at times. God of war 3, ascension and killzone 3 were ridiculous achievments on the console. I think naughty dog would and have done a better job with limited hardware but Im not going to take the credit away from what crytek achieved with crysis and claim naughty dog would have accomplished the same in that scenario.

Last edited:
I have a lot of respect for Crytek. You're talking about a developer that had the ambition to target the fastest PC hardware not just on the market but years on out; This will be the equivalent of today's developer targeting a RTX 4090 then maxing out it with rendering features while still having software under the hood ready for Nvidia and AMD's next gpu hardware; And successfully, let me say that again successfully releasing a retail game on the market that stands out amongst everything technically. I miss Crytek man.

Hugare

ND's secret sauce, just like Rockstar, is not only having great tech, but amazing atention to detail

John from DF analyzed TLOU Part II when it launched and said that on the surface, in terms of tech, it wasnt doing anything really crazy.

It doesnt use RT GI or RT shadows, RT reflections and etc. But what they use, they use as masters.

The reflections in that game, despite being SSR, are some of the best in the industry, almost looking like RT

Until launch people didnt know if Part I had RT reflections or not, because they were so damn good that people werent able to spot it in small gameplay snipets

As pointed already on this thread: they developed a bone structure system for more realistic deformation and animations.

They developed their own tech for the eyes, even made a GDC presentation about it. Someone probably spent like 6 years working on that stuff (I believe they mentioned it during the presentation)

Their lighting sollution is outdated on paper, using baked lighting instead of RT GI, for example. But it works for them because each environment is made by hand by artists that know how to properly lit them. So the final result is just as good if not better than a RT sollution.

So its all about those small details that make them the best out there

While most developers would use the standard sollution provided on the engine that they are working with, ND goes "fuck that, let's make our own sweat tech for that specific cutscene"

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Crytek as much as I loved their visual prowess... have only made one and a half good games. And that's including the hunt showdown.

Unfortunately their jump to multiplatform was a downfall.

Should have stayed PC kings and pushed boundaries further
You do realise crysis wasnt that much of a profitable game because not only was it stuck to a certain machine but only 10% of players at the time could even play it, they wouldnt of been able to push boundaries

StueyDuck

You do realise crysis wasnt that much of a profitable game because not only was it stuck to a certain machine but only 10% of players at the time could even play it, they wouldnt of been able to push boundaries
Profit has nothing to do with what I said.

The thread is about two powerhouse developers when it comes to visual prowess and when crytek jumped to console the crysis games took huge steps backwards in their visual prowess and design. And until hunt:showdown which I consider half a good game they kind of failed upwards in regards to what they were so great at with crysis and far cry prior

Last edited:
Top Bottom