• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Studio Director on Delays And Long Development: ‘Who Cares?’

Personally I don't care either. There's always tons of games to play and I usually play games at my own pace. It's rare that I'll rush to buy a game at launch these days.

Saber

Gold Member
My only problem is with disonest devs.
Delay a game is not really an isuue. Like, if its really about internal problems or polishing the games I'm all for it. But announcing projects before they even started and keeping making promises they won't deliver its another story.

I like how Nintendo had that dojo for Smash Bros Brawl I believe it was. Basically they had a website that showed us something new everyday in Brawl. Like a new or old weapon, characters, stages, etc. It keep interest among it's fans.
The Dojo was amazing!

I don't care about delays, either. We'll get a game when we get it. There's already too much for me to play. I doubt that publishers think the same way, though!

Sojiro

Personally I don't have an issue with a game receiving a delay, I am sure most of the time it's to the benefit of the game. However I do agree with some posts that I don't see why we get some announcements for games that take years to come out. Getting people hyped for some game through an announcement, and then expect them to retain that hype for 4-5 years is asking a lot. Just announce games closer to when you can release them.

Roxkis_ii

I personally don't mind games being delayed. It the marketing, hype, and fanboys that make delays feel like shit.

"Hey look how awesome this is, get excited! Coming soon!!"

Fans also hype up and weponize the game and call it the best thing since sliced bread and how it shits all over everything currently out, etc.

So when a game does get delayed, it makes fanboys melt, because their console weapon got deflated. All the people who had that game weaponized agasint them laugh at the fanboys, making them feel worst about the delay.

If games weren't hyped to hell by marketing and fanboys, delays wouldn't be such a big deal.

bender

What time is it?
When it comes to the Cuphead series I can totally understand people having the mindset of "who cares if it's delayed," but a lot of other games have cool features and gameplay that interest people. In those cases delays are hard to come to terms with because of how fun the games look.
FrankWhoppingAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Jaybe

It ain’t a delay if you don’t announce dates…
But I don’t really care if a game is delayed either, just seems like a bad look on studio management not meeting a target.
I’ll take a delay over a buggy or incomplete game any time, I will generally just play a game once and want it to be a high quality experience.

Neilg

I maybe wrong here but isn’t studio usually do job listing that’s separate from game announcement? I mean Monolith Soft also did job listing but didn’t really announce their game until it was actually ready to be announced.

If you have nothing to show to us then in my opinion game is not ready to get announced.

The problem is a job ad only hits people who are already looking for jobs. Bethesda saying they'll be working on ES6 starting next year might get someone thinking 'ok, if i do a few months of personal work i can put together some appropriate environments in time, get hired as a lead instead of my current level and maybe get to work on my favorite series right from the start'

the fact is, it works - and it's how you get your most dedicated and passionate employees, so it won't be stopping. you're not supposed to stay hyped about it all the way from when they say something is in pre-production. CDPR's teaser to say they're planning to start on a big open world sci-fi city got them some incredible art talent on board, and for all that games faults the environment art was not one of them.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I just thumbs-upped that whole quote. I think she out-Miyamotoed Miyamoto with that. Plus, Cuphead itself DELIVERS THE GOODS!!!

I now wish Miyamoto would have said, "A bad game is bad forever. If a good game needs more time, THEN WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK, BITCHES?!"

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
"Mental health needed to be at the forefront, taking the space and time that you needed, especially over the last two years"

Yea thats the same speech they give to all the truck drivers, police, farmers and dock workers I know. You know, the people that are actually important.

JLB

Banned
Just don't announce games before they're at least mostly finished. Capcom starting to announce games half a year before release is working out well for them.

Good for Capcom. But if other companies (say: Sony announcing The Last Guardian 317 years before release, or MS announcing Fable and releasing it probably in 2024 or 25) is ok as well.
Problem is on peoples land and their dramas.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
"Mental health needed to be at the forefront, taking the space and time that you needed, especially over the last two years"

Yea thats the same speech they give to all the truck drivers, police, farmers and dock workers I know. You know, the people that are actually important.
Wait wat?

Top Bottom