• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
FWgKOutXEAMGmK8

• Genre: Run and gun, platformer, co-op
  • Platforms: Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4
  • Developer: Studio MDHR
  • Publisher: Studio MDHR
  • Release Date: June 30, 2022

Review Agregator:

66PY1k6.jpg

Noisy Pixel - 100/100
Cuphead The Delicious Last Course is one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had, managing to serve as a primarily standalone accompaniment to an already masterful title. It’s emblematic of why I enjoy video games by providing challenges that demand continual and natural player growth, with unquestionably fair enemy design.
Gfinity - 100/100
Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course strips away some of the less interesting scenarios and polishes what made it a standout success. It’s a little on the short side given the long wait time, but it’s justified by its bargain price and immediately obvious love and attention for its addictive and fair gameplay loop.
GamersRD - 95/100
Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is a new content that maintains the success formula of the original game. Adding extras, renovating some details and making the game a little better. Despite the fact that it’s really short, it is extraordinary content.
Wccftech- 90/100
Cuphead: The Delicious Course is excellent fan service and the perfect continuation of a game that felt almost impossible to replicate. From the new boss designs to the addition of Miss Chalice, there is so much for everyone to enjoy, whether they just want to beat the new challenges or conquer them entirely.
Destructoid - 90/100
After all these years there still isn't anything quite like Cuphead.
Game Informer - 88/100
The Delicious Last Course sends our jolly beverage containers off on a high note. It offers an entertaining final exam of your skills while also freshening up the original adventure by giving players a cool new character to enjoy. It’s more Cuphead at the end of the day, but I had a great time revisiting Studio MDHR’s wonderful animated universe, testing my mettle against its villains, and feeling fist-pumping triumph all over again.
GameSpew - 70/100
If you’ve been longing for more Cuphead, then The Delicious Last Course is for you. But if you were, for whatever reason, hoping for a big shake-up in terms of gameplay or difficulty, you’re not going to find it here. Brutal but beautiful, this is simply more Cuphead, be that for better or for worse.

Last edited:
I just wonder if the difficulty might affect the score. I think I read somewhere that this new character makes the game easier.
They finally figured out the 'cheat code' for getting games journalists to enjoy a game, huh.

I'm looking forward to playing this. Going to load up my 200% save later and have a go. I was surprised by the price too, I expected them to gouge us a little bit.

Needlecrash

Played a few minutes of the DLC. COT DAMN IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD. The music is just the chef's kiss. This DLC was well worth the wait. I'm legit curious about their next project. Once the complete physical versions of the game get released I'll definitely cop a copy.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Cuphead's The Delicious Last Course DLC is finally here, but is it worth picking up? Find out in our in-depth impressions just short of a review that covers the new bosses, music, & more!

Last edited:

Beechos

Game is amazing already beat 5 bosses. I agree miss chalice makes the game easier with her double jump ability. I can beat games like this but cant do souls games go figure.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Those who don’t like Cuphead won’t really find anything to love in The Delicious Last Course, and that’s perfectly fine. Ultimately, The Delicious Last Course is meant to essentially be more Cuphead, and I, for one, am glad for that. The Delicious Last Course adds great new fights, and interesting new characters, and an interesting secret to figure out. Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is the perfect example of how a DLC or expansion doesn’t really have to reinvent the wheel; it just has to remember what made people love the base game to begin with, and expand on those concepts.

The Delicious Last Course is basically a must-buy for anyone who likes Cuphead, but it’s also worth keeping an eye on if you just like great side-scrolling action.

Saber

Gold Member
Didn't find the game that great. It was ok.
The lack of normal stages is depressing and the soundtrack pales alot in comparison with the original.
Also, while I pretty much like the difficulty(lmao took me alot to beat the final boss), I don't like the approach with the dogsplane boss. It's too cheesy to rely on inverse control scheme just to "win" against the player.
The ms. chalice addition was pretty awesome though.

Fake

Already beat the game. I gave 8.5 because:

- Not particulary fan of the DLC OST. I expected the same level of the base game.

- Missing normal stages. Only bosses get a bit bored over time. What I like in the base game are the stages you need to reach the end.

Still a great game. The new shots are nice, the new girl is good to play too and the bosses are badass. Artwork is top as usual.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not many people talking about this eh? Picked it up after being away, boy am I rusty. Being away from games in general for a month and coming back to this is a real kick in the teeth, love it though, just as quality as the base game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ooof. I tried the original few times. I did finished the first island and a bit of 2nd but it's so busy on the screen and it's honestly not for me

mxbison

I wanted to wait and play this with my Cuphead-buddy, but man am I tempted to just jump in alone....

Also wtf is that 7/10 review complaining that a dlc is not different enough from the main game lol.

Saber

Gold Member
Not many people talking about this eh? Picked it up after being away, boy am I rusty. Being away from games in general for a month and coming back to this is a real kick in the teeth, love it though, just as quality as the base game.

Still has its vibe and difficulty punishes harder(something I pretty much like), but the DLC has some let downs(already explained in my old post).

Overall its ok. I like pretty much the new shot additions and the new playable characters.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
And we're out! Great little DLC, well worth the few bucks for the bosses you get. Not chasing A+ ranks or any of that but I bet you could really squeeze some value out if you were.

hlidR0T.png

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Not many games refer to themselves as delicious, but who would deny it works for Cuphead? Studio MDHR’s painstaking recreation of a 1930s Disney aesthetic oozes confectionery flavour that sends you flitting between its delicacies like an all-you-can-eat buffet. And even if this new dish of platforming goodness arrives a little cold—nearly five years after the original game’s release—it remains a succulent proposition. Just don’t forget Cuphead is similarly famous for its boss fights that rain merry hell upon you. Prepare to di(n)e.

At least you can jump right into this DLC even from a fresh save without completing the main meal. Reach and finish the first mausoleum challenge that becomes accessible only a couple of stages in and you release the star of this episode, Ms. Chalice. From there, a clock-faced boatman will row you to the new fourth isle, where your task is to return the ghostly Chalice to corporeal form. To do that, all you need is, well, a Wondertart, at least according to jolly local chef Saltbaker. He’s only too pleased to make it providing you can gather five special ingredients. But wouldn’t you know it these particular groceries are protected by burly bosses, and you’ll have to defeat them first.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Currently co-oping this and very happy with it, a must have specially considering they are only asking 8€ for it.

Top Bottom