• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curated Demos of Upcoming Games Are Coming to Game Pass

Topher

Gold Member
I don't much care about the flips and flops of warring honestly as I play on all the platforms

I totally agree with you all games should have some sort of demo would help me a lot

Its what I said earlier in the thread.

I dont remotely understand releasing a demo for a game thats on Gamepass

The only time I could see it helping anyone is if some Indie Dev just wants to do a trial run of a possible game they were considering putting on Game Pass?

I dunno I think its dumb in all honesty

I would think this would be for games not on Game Pass. Did I miss them saying this is for games already on Game Pass? If so....yeah, what's the point?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would think this would be for games not on Game Pass. Did I miss them saying this is for games already on Game Pass? If so....yeah, what's the point?
It sounds like its just mainly for Indie Devs to try and get Game Pass people excited for their games but doesn't say if the game would be on Game Pass or not

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Its what I said earlier in the thread.

The only time I could see it helping anyone is if some Indie Dev just wants to do a trial run of a possible game they were considering putting on Game Pass?

Jesus I guess I'm not awake quite yet, I think I read the tone of your post totally differently...

Ozriel

M$FT

Why does a game that you have full and free access to even need a demo? Why would they release a demo for a Gamepass game? Its like releasing a demo for a F2P game...

These are for games that aren’t on Gamepass, I believe.

They’re making this feature available for Gamepass subscribers since they have to pay the devs something for the demos…but it’s a win-win for both devs and subscribers since demos can drive sales.

Helghan

I love demos because it will let me see if I get vertigo or not but if the game is coming to Game Pass anyhow I don't get the need (unless I missed something as I read through it really quickly)
You don't have to download the complete game to find out if it's something for you, and it's a curated experience instead of the whole start of the game itself.

They might let you play level 5 instead of starting with 1.

These are for games that aren’t on Gamepass, I believe.

They’re making this feature available for Gamepass subscribers since they have to pay the devs something for the demos…but it’s a win-win for both devs and subscribers since demos can drive sales.
Which actually doesn't make a lot of sense. If demos drive sales shouldn't demos exist right now, voluntarily? Why does Microsoft need to financially compensate a developer to create a demo, shouldn't it pay for itself with the additional sales?

To me this suggests demos actually don't increase sales, and the payment is to compensate the developers for that.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
1. Not forced or mandatory for all games above a certain price threshold. Meant for indie devs first and foremost.
2. Opt in program for those who chose it.
3. Developers get compensated for this unlike elsewhere.
None of that clickbait was ever confirmed. The service is already out and there's only like 5 trials on it so no one was forced. How do you know they were not compensated?

Making demos (instead of trials) is a lot of work according to the last thread so you should be even angrier with MS. Poor devs!

I've already made my disgust for demo's known so I'll only leave one positive comment.
Indie games will have a platform to use as a resume for their work.

Chukhopops

Still not a big fan of paid demos, do it like Nintendo and give solid demos for free for your first party games.

Doing the Fire Emblem Warriors demo now and it’s made me pre-order it. Just make good games and demos won’t have a negative impact on sales, problem solved.

Kilau

Gold Member
Demos for games yet to be released sounds good.

If Xbox is helping and paying for the cost of the demo development then it seems like a great idea to promote your game.

Elysion

Banned
So basically early access for indie games?

Though I do like the idea of releasing a demo before the game comes out. This used to be somewhat common in earlier gens; FF8 for example had a demo that was released in 1998, while the game itself didn’t come out until 1999.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And it's not opt-in on PS? You ignored half my post 🙄

Based on what we know, no, it's for all games above the $40 (or is it $35 ?) price threshold.

Like I said, these are false equivalencies, nothing more.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Based on what we know, no, it's for all games above the $40 (or is it $35 ?) price threshold.

That was BS. The service is already out and this is the only trials announced

PlayStation Studios​

• Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection | Naughty Dog, PS5
  • Horizon Forbidden West | Guerrilla, PS4/PS5

Third-party partners​

• Cyberpunk 2077 | CD Projekt, PS5
  • Farming Simulator 22 | Giants Software GmBH, PS4/PS5
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderland | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • WWE 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
I'm sure 2K was forced and caught by surprise 🙄

adamsapple

That was BS. The service is already out and this is the only trials announced

PlayStation Studios​

• Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection | Naughty Dog, PS5
  • Horizon Forbidden West | Guerrilla, PS4/PS5

Third-party partners​

• Cyberpunk 2077 | CD Projekt, PS5
  • Farming Simulator 22 | Giants Software GmBH, PS4/PS5
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderland | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • WWE 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
I'm sure 2K was forced and caught by surprise 🙄

The leaked documents also said the mandate doesn't apply to all games released beforehand. We'll know how accurate it was with more newer games coming out with or without trials in 90 days of their release.

Swift_Star

Banned

I’d like to see official source for this, or are you again basing on baseless rumors, something you said we shouldn’t be doing?

Still paid demos though.

T-Cake

Even though I'll probably be in my grave, it's nice to know XBox is going to be around for a long time yet.

With Xbox’s 20th anniversary recently behind us, it’s also important to let you know what to expect from Team Xbox, including our devices and services, as we build a platform for the next 20 years of gaming.

adamsapple

This whole forced thing is so stupid for people like you to cry about. Game trials aren't even curated, so the dev doesn't have to do any work. And how do you know Sony won't compensate the devs at all?

And it doesn’t appear that Sony is offering any extra compensation to developers in exchange for providing the new perk.

Last edited:
so its real demos not timed trials of new games.
Id rather have timed trials, but only if I can carry progress over to the actual game, like you can do with most SquareEnix titles. But, regardless, these shouldn't be locked behind monthly subscriptions like GamePass and PS+ Extra.

jaysius

Banned
1. Not forced or mandatory for all games above a certain price threshold. Meant for indie devs first and foremost.
2. Opt in program for those who chose it.
3. Developers get compensated for this unlike elsewhere.
That forced bit was overblown and probably from a bad source.

52094854574_4c8c1fd5a3_b.jpg

Now that Sony has fully announced the perk they've said "BLOCKBUSTER" games will have the trial, this blockbuster wording is flakey and easy for them to worm out of.

]
Blockbuster GIF by Big Potato Games

adamsapple

Even though I'll probably be in my grave, it's nice to know XBox is going to be around for a long time yet.

It's interesting to consider that MS has already been in the console industry for longer than Sega was.

That forced bit was overblown and probably from a bad source.

Now that Sony has fully announced the perk they've said "BLOCKBUSTER" games will have the trial, this blockbuster wording is flakey and easy for them to worm out of

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of planned leaks to gauge feedback and modify the plans accordingly before release.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Instead of MS and Sony doing these demos/trials behind sub plans, here's a novel concept.

How about just allow whichever devs doing them the option to release them to all gamers like 360/PS3? You'll get shitloads more people trying it.

Well, hand it to MS and Sony for taking the feature away and making them a bullet point on sub plans.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They're not mandatory trials for 'all' games, and primarily meant for indie developers.

That's .. what false equivalency is. Trying to draw a parallel between two things that isn't there.

If people can't see the difference between the rumored implementations I don't know what to say. The concerns from the developers perspective were the only things that were negative in the Sony thread from what I remember. From the gamers perspective, who would have a problem with demos?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yes, and a lot of it was bitching and moaning about the price barrier.

This also has a price barrier

Therefore not a false equivilience

Must have happened after I stopped following the tread. The only negatives I remember mentioned was about developers being forced to participate and Sony collecting funds as a result of the demos but not compensating devs. I don't see the equivalence to what is being reported here. 🤷‍♂️

triphero

Banned
Wow demos. My god, Xbox anouncements are so damned boring.

Sony has released banger after banger since PS5 came out.

How about you release some actual games, some cool games? Their gaming priorities are so whack. Either shitty coop multiplayer services type games, or long ass RPGs that will come out in 4 years.

What is MS' allergy to making some tight cool single player games, like Sony does, and kills doing it? Xbox games seem to be the mainstream McDonalds junk food of games.

Sony is just running rings around them.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
6weekslatermeme.jpg

Paid demo’s are cool now!
Still don't care about it, but cool for those that do, I guess.

HOWEVER, Microsoft has a much better approach than Sony. Optional for devs and they're compensated. Sony is forcing devs and no compensation is made available. Doesn't sound fair, does it?

Lognor

Banned
Sounds like game demo’s behind a paywall
So is sony's BUT devs opt in (they're required to participate on ps) and devs are compensated (devs are required to do it free of charge on ps)

So yeah, a much better approach from ms. Very innovative in the 'demos behind a paywall' game.

Top Bottom