• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current generation new game technology thread

cormack12

Gold Member
I thought it might be good to have a megathread discussing and tracking all the new cool stuff throughout the generation as it goes. The hardware one kind of run its course but we sometimes overlook a lot of the tech being introduced. So I figure we can bang all UE5, Sophy and VFX stuff in here as a general catchall and if anything is groundbreaking then split it out. I'll start with a few obvious ones:

Dead Space Remake
Intensify Director System

“The Intensity Director,” Eric says, “is a way for us to control the stress level for the player, to be sure there’s always something happening. It lets us control the emotion and tension, and to always keep the player on their toes, to keep them careful.”

“It’s a content organization, spawning, and pacing control system,” says Senior Systems Designer Dan Kim. “And depending on how we count things, the system has more than 1200 unique events, with a massive variety of combinations possible. Different elements, like audio or lighting changes, fog or steam, enemy spawns—all that combined together in layers to create encounters that feel like hand-made situations.”

Peeling system

During the broadcast, Philippe Ducharme and Roman Campos-Oriola showed off some of the remake’s visual upgrades and new features. These include a new “flesh peeling system” for the Necromorph enemies. As gruesome as it sounds, this system will show flesh being stripped away from your enemy as you damage them. More exposed limbs will be easier to cut off with weapons like the Plasma Cutter, so there’s tactical benefits too.

As Campos Oriola explained (thanks to Video Games Chronicle for the transcription) “For us what is interesting is this opens a whole new layer of shooting and combat loop, where you can have some weapons that are better at carving through the enemies and some that are better at cleaning them and removing their flesh.”

Top Bottom