• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Graphics king on any platform?

FukuDaruma

MDEQEp8.jpg

Not cherry picked and compressed enough, try converting to 16 color gif or something.

Sophist

PS1: Vagrant Story, Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver, Metal Gear Solid, Spider-Man 2000
N64: Perfect Dark
Saturn: Night into Dreams?

Dreamcast: Shenmue 2
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Xbox: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Far Cry Instincts, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick
GameCube: Resident Evil 4, some Star Wars game?

Wii: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3? Not sure.
PS3: Last of Us, God of War Ascension
X360: Halo 4, Gears of War Judgement, The Witcher 2
Wii U: Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Switch: I don't know
Xbox One: Gears of War 5, Ryse - Son of Rome, Quantum Break
PS4: Last of Us Party II

Switch 2?: Lol
Xbox Series X: Forza Horizon 5
PS5: Ratchet and Clank - Rift Apart
gamecube: prince of persia, need for speed underground 2, lord of the rings
ps1: crash bandicoot 3, quake 2, rayman 2
n64: conquer bad furday

Hunnybun

You see, this is what started my problem with you in the other thread. I'm a newish member on this forum, so it's easy for a reasonable person to look through my history and see that I don't subscribe to any blind fealty for one console over the other. In fact, I recall reaching out to you in good faith for your "objective" opinion on a tech matter prior to realizing how you conduct yourself here.

Most of us in this thread don't have a background in tech; therefore we only have tacit knowledge of what makes for great graphics. Just because we don't have a firm grasp on all of the terminology doesn't diminish our ability to discern between relatively impressive graphics vs. those that are not. Throughout this thread, people have brought up titles from all consoles and PC. Cyberpunk (PC), Ratchet (PS5), Flight Sim (Series X). The vast majority of us, with all of our various preferences for different platforms, agree and understand why these games are being considered without understanding all technical aspects that make them exceptional.

And you, a VFX professional, pop up in the thread and have this to say about a title that has garnered praise from the tech industry for it's graphical achievements:

You are much worse than a console warrior, you're an instigator. It's shameful.

Trust me, he's just not worth it. Complete and utter troll.

Just put him on ignore and move on.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You also offer no proof so your statement is not accurate, but opinion based as you claimed earlier. Prove that Insomniac didn't use any new tech. By the way you immediately lash out, it really makes you sound like a troll or warrior instead of a reasonable voice of knowledge I think you are trying to present.
This is very easy:

* Typical 4k textures and normal maps
* pre-baked GI probe lighting
* low resolutions shadow maps on shadow casting lights
* PBR materials
* Sprite card FX
* Normal anisotropic filtering
* RT reflections on all materials but using sharp one bounce reflections with a radial blur of the reflection framebuffer
* Use of some cube maps
* 1 shadow casting lightsource (i.e. the Sun)
* Typical hair shader using real strands but very low vertex count for shading. Root to Tip color gradient to simulate self-shadowing on furs.
* FB reconstruction to downres framebuffers and then upscale them on final framebuffer due to lack of bandwidth from the PS5 for true 4k/60FPS with all options on.

There's nothing that needs proving with R+C, it's a great looking game and even if it doesn't push whatever boundary you use to decide what is graphics king, it's reasonable to understand why people would select it. The same is true of most of the games people have mentioned thus far.
You act like I have a problem with what people selected. I initially gave my reason why I didn't select it and then gave what I would select and it produced all of this backlash.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sigh. It has state of the art RT reflections, state of the art SSD implementation, and you think it has no tech???

No wonder you arent taken seriously around here. No tech, my ass.

0C7YXkw.gif

MUeIFG3.gif
Snake,

Casting a reflection ray to get a reflected color from another object using the new ray-tracing algorithm is the most basic form of ray-tracing that a company can do when starting out on implementing a RT pipeline. Excuse me for knowing this and stating it.

And I don't care what people think of me, people make their own unpopular opinions all the time. It shouldn't warrant this kind of backlash. I even spoke about the shortcomings to CP2077 and Control. I didn't see a single person take offense to that. Likewise with FS2020 "close up" blurry textures. This is a game forum where we, as adults, should be able to state our opinions in good faith without being trolled for them.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not cherry picked and compressed enough, try converting to 16 color gif or something.
I've got others, but I don't dare post them to avoid hurting anyone else's self image. I have played the game on XSS and it absolutely looks like shit. Please believe me when I say, it was a massive disappointment to learn. Especially considering how great other titles like Forza look and play.

This is very easy:

* Typical 4k textures and normal maps
* pre-baked GI probe lighting
* low resolutions shadow maps on shadow casting lights
* PBR materials
* Sprite card FX
* Normal anisotropic filtering
* RT reflections on all materials but using sharp one bounce reflections with a radial blur of the reflection framebuffer
* Use of some cube maps
* 1 shadow casting lightsource (i.e. the Sun)
* Typical hair shader using real strands but very low vertex count for shading. Root to Tip color gradient to simulate self-shadowing on furs.
* FB reconstruction to downres framebuffers and then upscale them on final framebuffer due to lack of bandwidth from the PS5 for true 4k/60FPS with all options on.

You act like I have a problem with what people selected. I initially gave my reason why I didn't select it and then gave what I would select and it produced all of this backlash.
Sir, I requested proof. Please provide proof they used no new technology to produce this game.

Fredrik

Sure does, not even against that.

Just, OT is about next-gen games, like top tier. Ascent tricks the eye (not in a bad way) with very good art direction.
Fair enough, might be smoke and mirrors I guess but for me it still deserves to be up there. Looks like concept art at times, the art direction is absolute top tier, and the granuality in the textures and the level of details put most AAA games to shame. I haven’t even played it maxed out on the PC yet, the pics are from Xbox.

kingpotato

You know it looks like this because of photogametry right? (which ironically should be regarded as a cool use of tech in the game).
If it bothers you and you don't care all that much about the autheticity of the scenario, you can just disable it

I said the tech was impressive. I do think it's an amazing achievement to be able to go anywhere. If the tech doesn't come together to make a consistently impressive visual showcase then it isn't "graphics king" in my opinion.

Foilz

Banned
For me Demon souls is no way best looking game so far. It's nice but I was never blown away by it.

God of war on PC is still the best looking game overall followed by Forza, and I may be in the minority but Jedi fallen order maxed out on pc

Roberts

Oh boy, there are so many aspects, both artistic and techical that the only way for me to judge graphics is based on the game’s ability to make me say “wow” and make a screenshot. Red Dead Redemption 2 did that a few years ago. Valhalla, Forza Horizon 5 and Tsushima made me stop and observe the view (but these games have not so great looking parts). Even though it is nowhere a graphics monster, I think new Halo can be quite breathtaking at certain moments, but Sea of Thieves is a game that still blows my mind visually.

Loope

Snake,

Casting a reflection ray to get a reflected color from another object using the new ray-tracing algorithm is the most basic form of ray-tracing that a company can do when starting out on implementing a RT pipeline. Excuse me for knowing this and stating it.

And I don't care what people think of me, people make their own unpopular opinions all the time. It shouldn't warrant this kind of backlash. I even spoke about the shortcomings to CP2077 and Control. I didn't see a single person take offense to that. Likewise with FS2020 "close up" blurry textures. This is a game forum where we, as adults, should be able to state our opinions in good faith without being trolled for them.
Maybe you should be the one blocking these people.
I think sometimes it's the way you word your opinion that comes out a bit strong (not for me though). I'm accused of the same when i give my opinion on my line of work, sometimes it's better to reign it in a bit and try to say things differently, although in this thread i didn't see you coming off too strong, it was just an opinion, but you know how it is, feel free to be opinated as long as it's not about a Sony exclusive unless you want to get piled on by the same crew.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Snake,

Saying Ratchet has no tech is NOT an opinion. It's a fucking troll bait and you know it. I am surprised you werent banned for making definitive statement like that, especially after you followed it by downplaying its RT implementation.

Downplaying RT reflections is hilarious coming from you who downplayed last gen games like TLOU2 because they werent using ray tracing. Now RT reflections are the most basic form of reflection? So if thats the case, what does that make Flight Simulator, the most disgusting looking game of all time? By your logic, it has no RT so it must have negative tech. It must not even exist. 99% of the fucking games released last year did not feature any ray tracing. And ratchet has no tech?

And no, whatever criticism you might have presented for Control or CP 2077 did not start with you saying THEY HAVE NO TECH. You know what you are doing which is riling up the PS fanbase. You are not fooling anyone. You are factually wrong here.

You did this last month saying Ratchet has no fur. This month, it has no tech. What's next month? Ratchet has no graphics? It was a figment of our imagination?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Star Citizen.

The end.

You can act like it doesnt exist. Like it's vaporware, or its a scam. But whatever it is, it is the best looking out there.

Looks good but that planet looks extremely empty. Are there no loot or materials or something to find?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Ascent looks amazing
KCPR2C2.jpg

p2jTkPW.jpg

nrQAG4u.jpg

5emDATr.jpg

6WQ8z9l.jpg

8TmGlEX.jpg

Ascent is definitely doing more than just artstyle. It has incredible lighting. The levels are filled with detail and objects you could only dream of in traditional games. The material quality is phenomenal and the destruction is just the cherry on top.

If it wasnt for flight sim looking all photorealistic and shit, this might just be the best looking game on the xbox platforms. It is far more impressive than Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. For traditional, non-sim games, its either Guardians or Ascent on xbox. It should not be disqualified for any reason.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ascent is definitely doing more than just artstyle. It has incredible lighting. The levels are filled with detail and objects you could only dream of in traditional games. The material quality is phenomenal and the destruction is just the cherry on top.

If it wasnt for flight sim looking all photorealistic and shit, this might just be the best looking game on the xbox platforms. It is far more impressive than Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. For traditional, non-sim games, its either Guardians or Ascent on xbox. It should not be disqualified for any reason.
I think the Ascent looks really good. Love the atmosphere.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Saying Ratchet has no tech is NOT an opinion. It's a fucking troll bait and you know it. I am surprised you werent banned for making definitive statement like that, especially after you followed it by downplaying its RT implementation.

Downplaying RT reflections is hilarious coming from you who downplayed last gen games like TLOU2 because they werent using ray tracing. Now RT reflections are the most basic form of reflection? So if thats the case, what does that make Flight Simulator, the most disgusting looking game of all time? By your logic, it has no RT so it must have negative tech. It must not even exist. 99% of the fucking games released last year did not feature any ray tracing. And ratchet has no tech?

And no, whatever criticism you might have presented for Control or CP 2077 did not start with you saying THEY HAVE NO TECH. You know what you are doing which is riling up the PS fanbase. You are not fooling anyone. You are factually wrong here.

You did this last month saying Ratchet has no fur. This month, it has no tech. What's next month? Ratchet has no graphics? It was a figment of our imagination?
Snake you are getting overly emotional about this topic.

When I say it has no tech, I mean tech that pushes the boundaries to make it a "next-gen" title OTHER than RT reflections. There are games out that have actually pushed the boundaries with RT entire lighting pipelines as well as reflections. SO excuse me for downplaying R&C tech but it doesn't hold up against these other game engines that actually do push tech.

FS2020 has no RT but it's using some really incredible techniques that has only been in film like texture synthesis. I read the whitepaper on texture synthesis and it's pretty bad-ass. Likewise their implementation of photoreal textures across an entire planet along with excellent implementations of volume clouds with self-shadowing and dynamic weather is completely bad-ass. Regardless of it's blurry textures within 10m, the overall presentation is excellent.

R&C's art direction is superior to 99% of all games out there. I give the team props for making such a convincing game look like "CG". But I can't in good faith say it's looks comes from technological advances in rendering.

Fredrik

Plays great too, and it’s running at 60fps, and it’s made by 12 people, kinda. The praise is deserved! Critics were drunk when reviewing it as far as I’m concerned. 68 Metascore pfff

kingpotato

Nice, those definitely are not flattering, but you have to admit it's a bit dishonest.

It's funny that when you mention flight simulator people always quibble about how you are only supposed to look at the ground if you at least a mile away from it. They argue that seeing the horrendous looking terrain is some fluke like what you posted here where the camera is shoved into the ground in photo mode, or the player is bugged out of the level. Almost every time people say the poorly rendered terrain/structures are like finding low res grass in Forza or something, but the reality is that flight simulator is covered in 190 million square miles of blurry mess as soon as you fly lower than 2000 feet. You don't have to try to see the mess, it's literally everywhere.

The are a lot of things that are amazing about flight sim, not only the tech behind streaming the whole planet, but the vistas when you are high in the sky, especially in mountains. The accuracy of plane models and sounds. The physics and how you can actually learn to fly. The impressive number of airports and landmarks. How nice the sky can look at times. It can almost be photorealistic at times, under certain conditions.

I don't believe it deserves to be graphics king considering how uneven the package is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I mean, its forza horizon 5…how is this even a question lol. Im just being facetious of course, forza looks amazing, but so does demons souls and flight simulator as well. I find that ratchet looks amazing on some planets, and not quite as good on others, maybe its the lighting

Relativ9

Not at all, it’s highly stylised compared to most other games, it’s just let down by the hardware.

pokemon_legends_arceus_male_player_character_running_through_town.jpg

Show me a game that looks better than that, in terms of art direction and style. Pro tip: you can’t.
Looks like a dead and flat world? Everything looks stale, lifeless and sanitized. An abundance of color doesn't mean it's a cohesive, and well communicated art style. It's isn't terrible by any means, but here for example you've got a grass texture that clearly is supposed to look layered with some chuncks of grass overlapping others, but it's completely without any sort of tessellation, normal map, or vertex displacement, a limitation of the hardware no doubt, but then the smarter choice would've been to use a more uniform texture for the grass, especailly as it blends into the sand bath since there is absolutely no height-based blending meaning the clear "fade to next texture" is jarringly obvious.
For an example of how to do a similarely cell-shaded sort of art style "right" see something like Ni No Kuni (1 and 2), there you've got textures layered together with much sharper borders but much less detail in the actual texture. This technique could of course quickly look boring with you have large areas of the same texture, but because of that the designers become hyper aware of the need for layering the textures to create more detail and variation, a longer design process to be sure, but gives a much more visually pleasing and immersive result.
wBYLOrJ.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Looks like a dead and flat world? Everything looks stale, lifeless and sanitized. An abundance of color doesn't mean it's a cohesive, and well communicated art style. It's isn't terrible by any means, but here for example you've got a grass texture that clearly is supposed to look layered with some chuncks of grass overlapping others, but it's completely without any sort of tessellation, normal map, or vertex displacement, a limitation of the hardware no doubt, but then the smarter choice would've been to use a more uniform texture for the grass, especailly as it blends into the sand bath since there is absolutely no height-based blending meaning the clear "fade to next texture" is jarringly obvious.
For an example of how to do a similarely cell-shaded sort of art style "right" see something like Ni No Kuni (1 and 2), there you've got textures layered together with much sharper borders but much less detail in the actual texture. This technique could of course quickly look boring with you have large areas of the same texture, but because of that the designers become hyper aware of the need for layering the textures to create more detail and variation, a longer design process to be sure, but gives a much more visually pleasing and immersive result.
wBYLOrJ.jpg
We’ll just have to disagree to agree. I’m not sure if you guys are trolling but just look at this;

pokemon-legends-blog-1614354073346.jpg

Stunning.

Last edited:
ratchet and clank. seeing it on youtube is one thing but actually seeing it in on your own OLED tv is just next level. second place is a tie between demon souls and forza horiznon 5. all 3 will be surpassed by horizon forbidden west in a couple of weeks.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dying Light 2 with Raytracing......at the right time.
TOD will pretty much always cause games to go from stunning to okay, but for a game with dynamic TOD Dying Light 2 looks absolutely stunning a good portion of the time. Long live RTGI.
Just make sure to calibrate.

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It;s ratchet, but Guardians and Horizon FW look almost as good so it's not like it is leagues ahead of everything else out there.

Insomniac's decision to focus on native 4k is baffling to say the least. They left a lot of performance on the table leaving themselves with just as much of a pixel budget as cross gen games like Horizon FW and Guardians.
Guardians is good point
Dying Light 2 with Raytracing......at the right time.
TOD will pretty much always cause games to go from stunning to okay, but for a game with dynamic TOD Dying Light 2 looks absolutely stunning a good portion of the time. Long live RTGI.
Just make sure to calibrate.

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

Is this modded or is this how the game looks? It looks way better than in trailers

Top Bottom