• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Graphics king on any platform?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
raw
Okay I'll bite, anyone post up a location and I'll fly there and capture video/screens, and I'll do the same and someone else can fly through and show me what it looks like on their machine. I'm only expressing my experience with the game on my Xbox. I wish the game was offered on cloud streaming, it would probably look better than what is on my Series S (at least the performance is usually better from the titles I've played that way).

One of the things that helps some of the PS5 titles mentioned is there is only one set of hardware at the moment. The results are the same for anyone playing it. If it looks bad, it's bad for everyone.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this modded or is this how the game looks? It looks way better than in trailers

Thats what it looks like.
Its just about finding the right TOD and locations
It almost never rains in the game, so waiting for the right amount of cloud cover and/or rain with RTGI makes the game look absolutely stunning.

RTGI, RTAO, RTSh with RT Reflections can make even "basic" games look absolutely stunning.
And this is from a relatively small dev team, imagine what the bigger teams using RTGI will be able to achieve,

Tis why the console versions using RTAO and RTSh seems stupid, when they could have RTGI and RTAO for about the same cost.

S0ULZB0URNE

Dying Light 2 with Raytracing......at the right time.
TOD will pretty much always cause games to go from stunning to okay, but for a game with dynamic TOD Dying Light 2 looks absolutely stunning a good portion of the time. Long live RTGI.
Just make sure to calibrate.

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

that looks great

Black_Stride

that looks great
Any and all Nvidia sponsored titles should include RTGI its basically the most transformative single feature you can add to a game.

If AMDs RX7000 series has decent Raytracing performance then even AMD should start asking devs to us RTGI.

Fredrik

TOD will pretty much always cause games to go from stunning to okay, but for a game with dynamic TOD Dying Light 2 looks absolutely stunning a good portion of the time. Long live RTGI.

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

Holy… That literally looks like real life, through the phone at least, what engine is that running on?

Black_Stride

Holy… That literally looks like real life, through the phone at least, what engine is that running on?
Its whatever iteration of the Chrome Engine they are up to now.
They call it the C-Engine now....but its an evolution of Chrome Engine.
Chrome_Engine_5_Logo.jpg

c-engine_welcome-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Art direction doesn’t equal graphics.
It most certainly does.

A game can have all the technical achievements it wants but still, look terrible. All these games use the same techniques and technologies but look different because of art direction. Art direction plays a massive role in how good something looks.

Black_Stride

RX 6800XT owners pictured trying to run Dying Light 2 "maxed" out.
RDNA 3 cant come quickly enough.

FLVHKTFXMAMCUNM

<--- Secretly hopes GPU prices are still inflated by the time I sell my RTX30 series so i can jump on RTX40 early.
This generation is going to be brutal on our GPUs.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
It most certainly does.

A game can have all the technical achievements it wants but still, look terrible. All these games use the same techniques and technologies but look different because of art direction. Art direction plays a massive role in how good something looks.

You’re right. PAC Man has some of the best graphics ever. Better graphics than Flight Sim on PC, easily. I seek out graphics threads to make sure people don’t overlook the beautiful classic art style, especially the beautifully drawn pellets.

Best graphics of 2021: Pac man

I never said art style didn’t play a role, btw

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Thats what it looks like.
Its just about finding the right TOD and locations
It almost never rains in the game, so waiting for the right amount of cloud cover and/or rain with RTGI makes the game look absolutely stunning.

RTGI, RTAO, RTSh with RT Reflections can make even "basic" games look absolutely stunning.
And this is from a relatively small dev team, imagine what the bigger teams using RTGI will be able to achieve,

Tis why the console versions using RTAO and RTSh seems stupid, when they could have RTGI and RTAO for about the same cost.

RTGI has to be the single best graphical feature I've ever seen. It's amazing. Like a generational leap all on its own.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

Sadly, this is not how the game looks for 99% of the time. It's nothing special to be honest. I'm playing at max settings (including RT) with DLSS set to performance and in my 8+ hours of play time I was impressed maybe once or twice.

Black_Stride

RTGI has to be the single best graphical feature I've ever seen. It's amazing. Like a generational leap all on its own.
This correct.
If devs can find an efficient way to get RTGI or any clever GI on consoles we are in for a lovely generation.
Lets hope devs are looking at Lumen and coming up with similar or better solutions.

Black_Stride

Sadly, this is not how the game looks for 99% of the time. It's nothing special to be honest. I'm playing at max settings (including RT) with DLSS set to performance and in my 8+ hours of play time I was impressed maybe once or twice.
The downside of Dynamic TOD.
Just like in real life the lighting dictates how good a scene looks.

Its a double edge sword.

Tripolygon

Banned
You’re right. PAC Man has some of the best graphics ever. Better graphics than Flight Sim on PC, easily. I seek out graphics threads to make sure people don’t overlook the beautiful classic art style, especially the beautifully drawn pellets.

Best graphics of 2021: Pac man

I never said art style didn’t play a role, btw
If that is your opinion then by all means good for you. But you said,

"Art direction doesn’t equal graphics"

It does. If the thread was the best graphics technologies then sure we can list graphic technologies used and we will find 100s games that use the same technologies. The thread is the current graphics king on any platform and art direct plays a massive role in defining the graphical look of a game.

Graphics is just a visual representation of an object.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The downside of Dynamic TOD.
Just like in real life the lighting dictates how good a scene looks.

Its a double edge sword.

It's not only that. Game is very much rooted in last gen technology. It came out 2.5-3 years too late. RT lighting and global illumination is the only thing elevating it. Texture work, materials, character models... it's all just 'okay'. It definitely does not belong in this thread.

93xfan

Banned
If that is your opinion then by all means good for you. But you said,

"Art direction doesn’t equal graphics"

It does. If the thread was the best graphics technologies then sure we can list graphic technologies used and we will find 100s games that use the same technologies. The thread is the current graphics king on any platform and art direct plays a massive role in defining the graphical look of a game.

Graphics is just a visual representation of an object.

Quick, we have to let people know about Mega Man 5 (NES).

It’s between that or the Duck Tales HD bonus content drawings.

If you read my post on context, you’d see I was calling out garbage like the user saying new Pokémon has the best graphics.

Art direction, optimization, knowing where to cut corners, and other technical knowledge all have a great role to play. But some act like they can just plop a game in a graphics thread because they like a few cool visual details, all the while ignoring major drawbacks. The new Pokémon cannot compete with other open world games on its own platform and has major pop in issues. I wouldn’t call it graphically stunning even if it had the coolest looking game characters I’d ever seen

Last edited:

Hunnybun

This correct.
If devs can find an efficient way to get RTGI or any clever GI on consoles we are in for a lovely generation.
Lets hope devs are looking at Lumen and coming up with similar or better solutions.

Is it roughly as demanding as reflections? Cos it seemed so from the performance we got in Metro Exodus.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Demon's Souls or Ratchet and Clank on PS5. I'm sure there are other games out there that are technically better, but those have a wowfactor for me. And as much as I disliked the story, I think tlou2 is also impressive.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
6 series X hooked up 6 tv's running the same game, 6 x the power!!! 49 million simultaneous pixels! Oh wait.....nevermind

I'd have to agree with ratchet so far......though op makes it sound like it's running at 4k 60.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This thread shows people cant decipher between art, technical sophistication and environment + character preferences.

yurinka

I'd say Ratchet Rift Apart.
Not at all, it’s highly stylised compared to most other games, it’s just let down by the hardware.

pokemon_legends_arceus_male_player_character_running_through_town.jpg

Show me a game that looks better than that, in terms of art direction and style. Pro tip: you can’t.
Knack :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Outlier

Current favorite:

Cyberpunk_2077_Screenshot_2022.01.24_-_21.25.00.65.png
I remember coming across this view of Tokyo Town (from a similar angle) and I was awe struck.

I just stared at it wondering what it'd be like if it were a real place that I would shortly begin to explore...

Man... What a view.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
my pc is the current king
photomode-02012021-013349.png

photomode-02012021-224235.png

photomode-04012021-023259.png

photomode-27122020-010807.png

photomode-04012021-044759.png

photomode-04012021-001509.png

photomode-29122020-015644.png

Cemu-1-22-5d-FPS-30-50-Vulkan-AMD-GPU-Title-Id-00050000-101c9400-Breath-of-the-Wild-US-v208-2-11-202.png

Gtfo with these non exclusives.

honklhonk.jpg

For real though, every game looks impressive in here with the exception of that pokemon game lol.

But it's clearly to see that people picks their platforns exclusives, both Nintendo and PlayStation players.

Xbox players stays silent though lol.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't understand the "it's just smoke and mirrors" comment. Game rendering is all smoke and mirrors.
3QIDyYa.jpg
Its about its aplications. The difference between imitating a certain visual/physical effect and actually simulating it is that the simulation is much more generalist and considers a much wider range of situations, including ones the developers might not have thought of. Given the interactive/dynamic nature of games this is very important.

Using the pipe analogy, it'd be like the difference between painting a pipe in a frame and building a pipe model out of wood to display it in a glass frame.

Last edited:

Relativ9

This thread shows people cant decipher between art, technical sophistication and environment + character preferences.
To me it just seems like people confuse any stylized art style with good stylized art style. We can argue about taste and preferences till our face turns blue, but some things are pretty universal. Washed out, flat, and lifeless environments exist in both "photorealistic" and stylized art, and just because a world is drawn in less polygons with old-school rendering techniques doesn't mean that lazy design is excusable.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My nominations are Cyberpunk and Microsoft Flight Simulator. They both push technical boundaries (at least on PC) and often look beyond impressive (although of course just like any other game the illusion sometimes break).

I'd also like to say Star Citizen, but then again it's not a finished product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom