• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 achieves massive success with 1 million+ playerbase

zephiross

But it's still not GTA Deus Ex.
But it was never meant to be. I don't get the obsession CP2077 detractors have with wanting it to be like GTA. Yes it's open world, yes it has similar elements with GTA but that doesn't mean it is or must be a GTA clone. Pastas aren't failed pizzas because they're made with wheat based dough, and seasoned with tomatoe sauce and cheese. Similar ingredients, different things....

Could the police integration have been better ? Yes.
Is it a necessary or an important gameplay element like in GTA ? No.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Too Late Grandhotelabc GIF by ABC Network

Brand already ruined

Yah, it’s a mistake releasing them on PS4 and Xbox One. Game was terribly broken and unplayable on these console platforms

Just started playing on PS5, I thought it would look better? The driving is terrible but so far it’s pretty good.

Played for about two hours last night and only drew my weapon once. Is it this story heavy throughout or is it just front loaded?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Played for about two hours last night and only drew my weapon once. Is it this story heavy throughout or is it just front loaded?

Super story heavy but once you finish ACT 1, the game opens up and you can ignore the main story focus on side content that's more action packed.

Just started playing on PS5, I thought it would look better?

It looks okay on consoles but it won't blow you mind like the PC version can do.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Replaying it now after my initial 40 Hour playthrough and am loving it. I missed so much of the open world content first time through, which colored my perception of the content and I didn't really give the game the credence it deserves for replay value. There are tons of way to make characters that can play substantially different and I'm having a blast.

Game desperately deserves a 2.0 relaunch. I think all of the criticisms it garnished were well deserved at the time, but it's a drastically better game now and should not be overlooked.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Started my second play through. I enjoyed the pre patch game but it looks so good now. I'm just going to enjoy the story this round.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’m glad that many people are enjoying the game now. I’ll probably get around to the PS5 version eventually. But I can’t lie the delays & launch bugs produced some of the best shitposting I’ve seen in my message board career. I will never forget the absolute shitstorms this game caused.

cormack12

Gold Member
I stopped playing this and waited for 1.6 on the PS5. I'm back up to act 2 now, a little way in. Thoughts:

Performance is still shaky. Stutters, micro freezes are still evident. And I have seen some weird texture glitches and lighting. More annoying than game breaking.

I don't know if they cleaned up the map and icons but everything seems clearer now from the cyberpsychos to the side jobs and hidden things.

I got myself a decent cyberdeck this time round instead of paying Victor back which is good.

I still think trying to play stealthy is grim. Sure, you can find the laptops/terminals like in far cry but if you don't it's really not possible to disable cameras individually, knock people out one by one and complete the 'puzzle'. Also when you do trigger them the AI is pretty bad, they all run in the same place and you just toss a grenade lol. I think this is the only thing bumming me out really so far. You seem to be able to do a little bit of stealth but then shit hits the fan and they all play out the same with spawning enemies in bizarre, cleared locations.

The world itself is cool, I wish the map had more specific descriptions than just the district and the area.

I'm liking it much more than the first time round though.

Guilty_AI

I still think trying to play stealthy is grim. Sure, you can find the laptops/terminals like in far cry but if you don't it's really not possible to disable cameras individually,
You can disable/control them from a distance with hacking. Or just shoot them if you have a silenced weapon.
Alternatively there's also a breach protocol daemon (which you get with a perk) that temporally disables all cameras from a network.

knock people out one by one and complete the 'puzzle'.
That depends on your build, but since you're using a cyberdeck i suggest shopping around for quickhacks. There are tons of covert and ultimate hacks that can be pretty useful for stealth, like one that attracts enemies to your location or another that disables their vision for a few seconds.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
You can disable/control them from a distance with hacking. Or just shoot them if you have a silenced weapon.
Alternatively there's also a breach protocol daemon (which you get with a perk) that temporally disables all cameras from a network.

That depends on your build, but since you're using a cyberdeck i suggest shopping around for quickhacks. There are tons of covert and ultimate hacks that can be pretty useful for stealth, like one that attracts enemies to your location or another that disables their vision for a few seconds.

I'll keep a lookout but for example just now I was on the cloud mission (early on). I have reboot optics, ping, breach, distract, shutdown cameras and a couple more.

But they don't really do much when there are three guys standing in the room waiting for me to enter with no visible flanks. Is that just the norm, or do I unlock better stuff as I go on. I can only craft uncommon quickhacks atm.

I tend to breach for the 30% bonus then maybe reboot a few optics (btw why can't you do front takedowns ffs) and then find myself in combat so huh

FYI Netflix is only distributor for Edgerunners. CDPR produced the show themselves in collaboration with Trigger Studio.
On one of the streams some guy (can't remember his name) from CDPR said they wrote the story themselves and let Trigger animate it.

It just goes to show CDPR know how to write a good story and I find it funny that "Netflix" is keeping them relevant lmfao. Like you say they are only distributing it and if the game really sucked then we wouldn't see such a huge number of people playing it right now and saying how good it is. They'd have enjoyed the show and moved on. alright some people would've went back to the game but not like this.

People will never learn to let their hate go. While they are full of hate we'll enjoy watching the show and playing the game.

In other news...no chance we won't see a Cyberpunk sequel! :messenger_beaming:

I'm hyped for Witcher 4 but can't wait until CDPR come back to Night City. I know they aren't done in 2077 yet but still....

As I said, the outpouring of support should turn a few heads at the studio to make another expansion after Phantom Liberty. Here's hoping.
Same i hope they rethink the 1 expansion only and go back to the original 2 expansion.

If all we get is Phantom Liberty then fine I get if they want to move on but there is a lot of love for 2077 and I do hope they can take a bit more time to work on a 2nd expansion because it'll be a while before we get a sequel.

Guilty_AI

I'll keep a lookout but for example just now I was on the cloud mission (early on). I have reboot optics, ping, breach, distract, shutdown cameras and a couple more.

But they don't really do much when there are three guys standing in the room waiting for me to enter with no visible flanks. Is that just the norm, or do I unlock better stuff as I go on. I can only craft uncommon quickhacks atm.
You need to get new quickhacks asap (and equip them), you can get them on netrunner stores. Also upgrade your cyberdeck when you're able to for more quickhack slots, more ram, etc.

In the situation you described, you could for example just off them with damage and ultimate quickhacks, or attract one of them to your location with a whistle quickhack to get them.
There are also some cool ultimate quickhacks you can get for crowd control, like one that detonates grenades on enemies bodies, or another one that induces cyberpsychosis and gets them fighting each other.

It might seem bad at first, but trust me when i say stealth hacker is the op-est build in this game.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Just started playing on PS5, I thought it would look better? The driving is terrible but so far it’s pretty good.

The first few hours are just the setup for the story. It definitely opens up and you will be using your guns, blades and cyberhacks.

Gambit2483

People finally done crying about the launch and realizing the game is good? Great news
Tbf it did launch as a broken buggy unfinished mess for a lot of people so....yea.

I'm just glad Phantom Liberty has ditched last gen consoles. Hopefully we can see what this game can really do when not held back by 7+ year old tech

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
But it was never meant to be. I don't get the obsession CP2077 detractors have with wanting it to be like GTA. Yes it's open world, yes it has similar elements with GTA but that doesn't mean it is or must be a GTA clone. Pastas aren't failed pizzas because they're made with wheat based dough, and seasoned with tomatoe sauce and cheese. Similar ingredients, different things....

Could the police integration have been better ? Yes.
Is it a necessary or an important gameplay element like in GTA ? No.
I think the expectation is fair, because they essentially sold gamers on the type of living and breathing world we expect from an open-world game.

I think part of the desire for a police system also comes from people actually wanting some type of gameplay that takes advantage of the open-world they’ve designed.
It looks amazing but it’s not really good for anything.
I never felt like any of the missions took great advantage of the level design.

Ideally, police chases would have you taking full advantage of the awesome architecture and highway system to engage in combat with police and drones.
I can’t really think of any content in the game that took full advantage of the open world. Maybe I’m missing something but generally speaking, it doesn’t seem to.

All in all, I just think that type of expectation is fair, based on the way they talked this game up. The world should react to you in a believable manner, with atmosphere and gameplay being such important pillars of the game.

Plus, it’s like all the elements are just sitting there, waiting to be combined. It’s painful. You have all these awesome body-mods and futuristic highway structures, but nothing forcing you to engage with them.

How awesome would be to find yourself at a police roadblock, hit the handbrake, hop out the car, fire a few homing bullets, while using it as cover - but “oh no”, the police are coming from behind now.
Quick, use your pogo-stick legs to hop onto the highway above, steal another car, and jet out. You’ll survive if you can escape the drones still on your trail. Maybe try shooting from the driver seat.

This is the type of shit we all dreamt of, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think part of the desire for a police system also comes from people actually wanting some type of gameplay that takes advantage of the open-world they’ve designed.
Problem is, this criticism goes for most open world games. Even in recent GTA games police chases are basically pointless considering how mission centric they are, and how absolutely everything that happens in missions is scripted. GTA open worlds look pretty but are ultimately useless in the grand scheme considering the whole game plays like an Uncharted title.

Plus, it’s like all the elements are just sitting there, waiting to be combined. It’s painful. You have all these awesome body-mods and futuristic highway structures, but nothing forcing you to engage with them.

How awesome would be to find yourself at a police roadblock, hit the handbrake, hop out the car, fire a few homing bullets, while using it as cover - but “oh no”, the police are coming from behind now.
Quick, use your pogo-stick legs to hop onto the highway above, steal another car, and jet out. You’ll survive if you can escape the drones still on your trail. Maybe try shooting from the driver seat.

This is the type of shit we all dreamt of, if you ask me.
You'll still be using them. While the open world itself doesn't serve much purpose, localized mission and level design is pretty good and does inspire you to use all of this stuff (unlike GTAs/RDRs, which is one of the reasons why i usually consider CP the better game). Like one time i used double jump to reach a second floor window and immediatly activated optical camo to pass through guards and cameras, then hacked a guard unconscious, stole the data i needed from a computer and noped out from another window.

I also should point out that, 90% of the time, scenarios that look cool in our heads don't really work from a game design perspective. The scene you described would end with a game over screen 100%, unless everything was scripted to go that way.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Problem is, this criticism goes for most open world games. Even in recent GTA games police chases are basically pointless considering how mission centric they are, and how absolutely everything that happens in missions is scripted. GTA open worlds look pretty but are ultimately useless in the grand scheme considering the whole game plays like an Uncharted title.

You'll still be using them. While the open world itself doesn't serve much purpose, localized mission and level design is pretty good and does inspire you to use all of this stuff (unlike GTAs/RDRs, which is one of the reasons why i usually consider CP the better game). Like one time i used double jump to reach a second floor window and immediatly activated optical camo to pass through guards and cameras, then hacked a guard unconscious, stole the data i needed from a computer and noped out from another window.

I also should point out that, 90% of the time, scenarios that look cool in our heads don't really work from a game design perspective. The scene you described would end a game over screen 100%, unless everything was scripted to go that way.
I don’t think the scenario I described is all that complex, if they can implant a police system with reasonable a.i.

The level design is already there, the body mods are already there, the combat is already solid.

You make a good point about localized missions but I didn’t have the same experience. Many missions felt rather boxed in to me. I remember small parking lots shootouts and junkyard heaps where I’d fight “psycho’s”, while crawling over a few piles of trash.

I agree that it’s all too rare for games to take advantage of their open-world design. I think GTA actually does this pretty dang well.

And I think Infamous 2 always deserved more credit for the way the enemies will just hound you up the sides of buildings and such. It really forces you to take advantage of the level design and interlace that with the combat. The enemies seek you out and not the other way around, and what a difference that can make.

Guilty_AI

I don’t think the scenario I described is all that complex, if they can implant a police system with reasonable a.i.
Its pretty complex, cause while you leisurely jump and go around trying to find a car the police would be shooting at your back, you'd be dead before you could even land.
As i said, that all sound cools but its still movie logic, and movie logic generally doesn't really apply well in games unless its scripted.

You make a good point about localized missions but I didn’t have the same experience. Many missions felt rather boxed in to me. I remember small parking lots shootouts and junkyard heaps where I’d fight “psycho’s”, while crawling over a few piles of trash.
I'd say Gigs is where the level design and mission design shines the most.

I agree that it’s all too rare for games to take advantage of their open-world design. I think GTA actually does this pretty dang well.
It really doesn't. Just think about what you do in the game.
You're always going from point A to B, from mission to mission. Police chases and mayhem serve no purpose and aren't even all that fun, they used to have some significance in older GTA titles but not anymore. Side activities (which also consist of you going to X in the map most of the time anyway) are not really fun either, unless you really enjoy virtual darts.

Last edited:

Sentenza

People finally done crying about the launch and realizing the game is good? Great news
Jesus Christ, you guys aren't just delusional but even obnoxious about it.

The game still sucks in pretty much all the same ways it sucked at release.
You just have abysmal standards for quality gameplay.

I can play CP2077 right now at 100+ fps and with RT active. I still think it's a turd.

And the only ones thinking the "new gen update" was a game changer are people who played on a fucking toaster.

We surpassing Witcher 3 now. Cdpr on fire.

A shame.
I guess CDPR will never need to learn from its mistakes because suckers will always give them a pass.

I know for sure I won't touch future Witcher or CP games from them with a ten feet pole until I'll get a chance to try them before buying.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I know for sure I won't touch future Witcher or CP games from them with a ten feet pole until I'll get a chance to try them before buying.
Then why are you here? Go discuss or play a game you enjoy and have a better time instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom