• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Beats Elden Ring As Most Played Single-Player Game On Steam

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I too lost interest in Elden Ring. I'm actually tired from the Souls formula full stop. From are experts are releasing the same game over and over again. Cyberpunk on the other hand - cannot stop playing. Such a good game tbh. Although I must say some of these side quests feel like a chore. I'm just glad that PC games include mods. The "fast travel to anywhere" mod is an absolute game changer.
I put probably 40-50 hours in Elden Ring, and I cannot find the strength to continue. I am reasonably good in this game, did everything including Volcano Manor, it's just that the combat is so janky...
This would have been a glorious 20-30 hour game, but pushing past that I lose interest.

Finished CP2077, cannot wait to replay again on my Steam Deck. It is not Witcher 3 (but that game had glorious music and CEE flavor), but it will do for now.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
No thanks. I choose hate:
aei1d4o.png
Let me introduce you to Sébastien Chabal:

Happy France Rugby GIF by Rugby World Cup

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not really. It is absolutely undeserved with the state of the game at release on consoles.
The consoles were cheap and outdated when they launched and were 7 years old when the game launched. But sure complain that a dev pushed the game too far to run on shit hardware because you love outdated games running on outdated hardware. I'd rather have something that pushes the limits than something that runs well on, what is now, 10 year old hardware. It should not have been released on last gen consoles. That was not the dev team's fault but the fault of the publishing/marketing arm of the company.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The consoles were cheap and outdated when they launched and were 7 years old when the game launched. But sure complain that a dev pushed the game too far to run on shit hardware because you love outdated games running on outdated hardware. I'd rather have something that pushes the limits than something that runs well on, what is now, 10 year old hardware. It should not have been released on last gen consoles. That was not the dev team's fault but the fault of the publishing/marketing arm of the company.

From what I’ve seen of the console versions, everyone at CDPR was at fault.
Sure, the old consoles were outdated by the time it released, but those old consoles could still run games like Metro Exodus and Red Dead Redemption. They may not have run them well, but they ran them.
Cyberpunk wasn’t a matter of a well developed game struggling on old hardware. It was an indisputable trainwreck of an unfinished game loaded with bugs.
All from a game in development nine years.

Denton

All from a game in development nine years.
This is both true and false. Yes originally the development started in 2012. But it all got scrapped and development started from scratch in 2016, after Blood and Wine. Technically the game we actually got to play was in development for four years. Given that they had to rearchitect the entire engine and make a type of game they never made (modern city, cars, first person), Cyberpunk is one hell of an achievement. Their mistake was trying to do too much. Launching 9 different SKUs at the same time, when two of those are very low performance (especially on CPU and storage speed front) was too much.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I agree. It shouldn’t have been released on a very outdated hardware but AT LEAST optimize it at launch for the new hardware as I’ve played it on PS5 and game crashes every hour of gameplay.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

I started playing Cyberpunk a week before the v1.60 patch. Gotta say, I think I timed it right. Game is really good, though I have experienced some odd glitches here and there.

I do it for free.

The cyberskeleton just screams video game boss fight. It puts giant markers on the ground before dropping a gravity bomb. It has obvious weakpoints that can be exploited. They even directly say who it was originally going to be for. Arasaka probably has copies of its best soldiers and I'm hoping that Phantom Liberty is going to rework the final boss in some way to incorporate the cyberskeleton or at least tech from it.

Yep, you don't even have to guess just how many players are now searching out a sandevistan in the game. And, yes, it's every bit as badass a cyberware OS as the anime makes it look. Everything you saw, increased strength, speed, it does all of that for real in the actual game. I especially love how the anime utilized the actual UI elements of the game a lot in the show. I've been high on my praise from this game from the very start, so I'm all the more happy to see it getting the appreciation it deserves without all drama over launch.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gonna wait for the next big patch with the improved police system and whatnot before I reinstall and finish the story. 1.6 was too little.

I haven't been following closely, I've just been sitting on my $5 copy waiting until I feel like I have the time to take on a big ass game/RPG.

But they're not done with the big patches yet? I thought the game was already pretty much rescued? I feel like I spend entire years being distracted with other stuff letting games sort themselves out and nothing happens lol. It's getting weird.

Edgerunners is so damn good no wonder people are going back to the game.

I now want a spin off game with anime art style. I'm thinking something like a Cyberpunk x Persona mix. A fully explorable 3d world but anime characters and flashy combat with stylistic menus/transitions. Get Trigger to do the cutscenes.
And when Elden Ring releases a DLC it'll go above Cyberpunk again...
sadly i don't think we're getting any meaningful DLC. fromsoftware already have a new game ready to announce which is supposedly nearly finished development.

if we get ER dlc i hope it adds more variety to the world to make it more exciting to explore. after about 30 hours i got bored of exploring as it's just all the same shit all over the place. beautiful map but so much wasted potential. the combat and story/plot was great though.

Last edited:
Good news that people are going back to it after the great Anime.

Picked it up on PC myself after watching Edgerunners and I’m loving it. Glad I held off until now because it looked like a fucking mess at launch.

Mephisto40

Edgerunners is so damn good no wonder people are going back to the game.

I now want a spin off game with anime art style. I'm thinking something like a Cyberpunk x Persona mix. A fully explorable 3d world but anime characters and flashy combat with stylistic menus/transitions. Get Trigger to do the cutscenes.

sadly i don't think we're getting any meaningful DLC. fromsoftware already have a new game ready to announce which is supposedly nearly finished development.

if we get ER dlc i hope it adds more variety to the world to make it more exciting to explore. after about 30 hours i got bored of exploring as it's just all the same shit all over the place. beautiful map but so much wasted potential. the combat and story/plot was great though.
I think it's pretty much guarenteed ER is going to get DLC, would be a complete waste on From Software's part to not release DLC for their most successful game ever considering every other souls game they have made has had DLC in the past

darrylgorn

Can't believe this thread got to 4 pages lol

I played the shit out of CP2077 right from launch and do not have any interest in Elden Ring but why this is a comparison for Steam sales and why anyone would really care anyway is beyond me.

Denton

109 000 people on steam at the moment. Very unusual for a two year old singleplayer game to see this kind of resurgence, good on CDP.

Looking forward to see what numbers Cyberpunk will be doing once Phantom Liberty comes out.

But they're not done with the big patches yet? I thought the game was already pretty much rescued? I feel like I spend entire years being distracted with other stuff letting games sort themselves out and nothing happens lol. It's getting weird.

There have been big patches, but more are on horizon. The two are not mutually exclusive. Some people are really obsessed with playing Cyberpunk like GTA and cause mayhem in the city and shoot cops and pedestrians, and whine about the police system being very basic, so CDP is still reworking that.

Last edited:
fuck it. i was going to wait for the expansion to replay it but i really want to play it now. i have it on GOG so i won't be contributing to steam stats :messenger_grinning_smiling: sorry

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
109 000 people on steam at the moment. Very unusual for a two year old singleplayer game to see this kind of resurgence, good on CDP.

Looking forward to see what numbers Cyberpunk will be doing once Phantom Liberty comes out.

There have been big patches, but more are on horizon. The two are not mutually exclusive. Some people are really obsessed with playing Cyberpunk like GTA and cause mayhem in the city and shoot cops and pedestrians, and whine about the police system being very basic, so CDP is still reworking that.

I don’t think it’s unusual to see when we take into consideration that it’s a CDPR game, that showed great promise and is being fixed and improved.

Denton

I don’t think it’s unusual to see when we take into consideration that it’s a CDPR game, that showed great promise and is being fixed and improved.
For CDPR game sure, but for games in general? I can't think of any singleplayer game that years after release gets a resurgence like this without any expansion. CDP's idea to make the anime and its execution of it, plus not abandoning the game really pays dividends.

I put probably 40-50 hours in Elden Ring, and I cannot find the strength to continue. I am reasonably good in this game, did everything including Volcano Manor, it's just that the combat is so janky...
This would have been a glorious 20-30 hour game, but pushing past that I lose interest.

Finished CP2077, cannot wait to replay again on my Steam Deck. It is not Witcher 3 (but that game had glorious music and CEE flavor), but it will do for now.

That's exactly why I don't want everything open world. It adds bloat and like 30 extra hours onto the game.

Rambone

I hope CPR continues to invest in Cyberpunk, it is a cool game. I really appreciate that they added Cloud saves so I can play the same save file no matter where I play (PS5/Series/PC). It's a shame the feature is not available with Stadia as that is where I had most of my progress.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I hope CPR continues to invest in Cyberpunk, it is a cool game. I really appreciate that they added Cloud saves so I can play the same save file no matter where I play (PS5/Series/PC). It's a shame the feature is not available with Stadia as that is where I had most of my progress.
It’s also a shame you need to activate it before it transfers. I have my XSX save but I sold the console in May so I cannot transfer the save to PC.

DragonNCM

Got this game on xbox sale year ago. Was a totall mess. After latest patch plays & looks damn good even on my xss.This is the real Cyberpunk what we have waited for. Game obviously was not ready to launch in 2020.

Flutta

Banned
Quest director breaking down seeing the resurgance of cyberpunk.

Did Sean Murray or anyone in his team cry when people started playing NMS again after their disastures launch? I dont think so. Stop showing us your bitch side and keep working on the game you twat. FFS

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Cyberpunk is a good game on consoles now, but the pc mods for this game are crazy. I would love to have the flying cars mod on console.

AndrewRyan

This game looked good on my old 2080 but upgrading to a 3080 took it to another level. It's so beautiful, almost draw dropping at times.

Majukun

Show managed to promote the CP universe way better than the game ever did... Kinda shows how botched the development of the latter was.

The game will still remain a missed chance, a game that is good at multiple things but not great at either.

Last edited:

op22

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...berpunk-2077-a-revenge-story/?sh=1a94f7262bf6

I’ve seen a lot of Edgerunners viewers get actually excited when you tell them that you can end up fighting Adam Smasher in the game itself, and joking or not, a wave of new memes have arrived about players marching into the game to go destroy Adam after he’s killed
“Best Girl” Rebecca and main character David.

Here I was thinking being called "fuckmeat" in 2020 was enough to make him one of the most hated villains.

Last edited:
Top Bottom