• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt will pay just $1.85 million in proposed class-action settlement

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
719c6c64efb8dbf088b2677dee1a2c2e.png

Last week, game developer CD Projekt was negotiating to settle a class-action lawsuit over the infamously botched launch of Cyberpunk 2077, a game that came riddled with bugs and poor enough performance on consoles that Sony pulled it from the PlayStation Store and many storefronts offered refunds.
CD Projekt says those negotiations are now concluded, and here’s how much it’s agreed to pay: $1,850,000 USD.

While the settlement will likely have to be approved by a court, it sounds like the lead plaintiffs and their lawyers negotiated for a fairly tiny sum here in exchange for “relinquish[ing] any and all claims against the Company and members of its Management Board.”
That’s when you consider that the game had a development budget of over $316 million (according to GamesIndustry.biz), recouped that entire development and marketing budget in digital pre-orders alone, and didn’t actually see a huge impact from refunds.

Perhaps the plaintiffs didn’t have much of a case? It’s worth noting that this lawsuit (technically, four lawsuits that had been rolled into one) were brought by shareholders who believed they were misled by the company about financial performance, not gamers who purchased the game.
Despite the game’s seemingly very decent sales, the company’s reputation has slipped, sales projections have lowered, and its stock price has fallen a reported 54 percent since last year.

CD Projekt has repeatedly promised to fix the game, and issued a series of patches, suggesting it might eventually become the game it promised.
In late October, the company announced that next-gen updates for both Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 would be delayed to 2022. “Apologies for the extended wait, but we want to make it right,” the company wrote.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Yeah so really not much. It's just a slightly higher cost that would have been required for them to defend in court, so the prejudice is not so high I guess (but still 2 €m are 2 €m and represent several people annual salaries so CDPR is feeling it a little bit no matter what)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How the fuck does a game cost $316 million to make when even movies dont cost that much?

Pretty sure Avengers Infinity War is the most expensive movie ever made and even that topped out at $300 million.

Flabagast

How the fuck does a game cost $316 million to make when even movies dont cost that much?

Pretty sure Avengers Infinity War is the most expensive movie ever made and even that topped out at $300 million.
Big video games are more complex than big movies nowadays, and have more people involved in their production.

For reference RDR2 costed btw $600 to $800m (marketing included though)

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

As if you could compare these two mediums in that regard. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Video games today are more complicated and higher budget than movies.

Especially, now that they're paying the same Hollywood actors to be in the games.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Bad management. It is a cancer to this industry.

TransTrender

Gold Member
That doesn't even cover the legal fees in the USA, so I'm guessing this is converted from Polish currency with Polish only plantiffs and over there that's a much larger sum of money.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Is this game really that bad? I was thinking on buying it, looks cool despite the bugs (I would be buying for my PS4 Pro).
Nah it's not that bad. I played through it twice. I haven't touched it since, but it really left me wanting a 9/10 - 10/10 vision of Night City.

Edit: and if you are getting it on pc you will likely have a lot less glitches. I barely had any and I played it on release.

Last edited:

tassletine

Piracy in Russia is ubiquitous. There's almost nothing here except cheap virtue signaling and a company so deluded it thinks it will have an impact.

Top Bottom