• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Gets Mind-Blowing Unreal Engine 5 Treatment by a Fan

Madflavor

The steelbook version was on sale a wile back for $10
The game is a major letdown RPG wise going from Witcher 3 with it great story & great RPG elements to Cyberpunk was bad for me & many others

It was hugely disappointing for me when the game dropped and it wasn't even close to what they said it was going to be. But with the dust settled and the game receiving multiple patches, I've come to terms with it and after spending 100+ hours on it, I see the good in it. And there's a lot that's good and even great about the game.

It's a victim of being rushed by management to appease investors, and marketing overselling the game to be more than it is. Honestly whether you love or hate the game, my heart goes out to the development team. Crunching 80 hours a week, knowing it's going to release in an unfinished state and knowing marketing is selling it as a different game. They knew they were being set up for failure in so many different ways. It must've been a soulcrushing experience to work on the game. I'm not happy with CDPR the company, but I'm happy for the development team that the game has found it's following, and has started to win some people back. It won't win everyone back. Some people won't change their minds or won't give it another chance. And that's perfectly understandable given how falsely advertised the game was.

Guilty_AI

The steelbook version was on sale a wile back for $10
The game is a major letdown RPG wise going from Witcher 3 with it great story & great RPG elements to Cyberpunk was bad for me & many others
Witcher 3 was terrible RPG with horrible RPG mechanics. I really don't understand how people criticize some aspects of CP2077 then turn around and praise witcher 3 despite how that game suffers from the same issues and more.

Last edited:

Raven77

Dang that's awesome looking. Imagine 5 years from now when devs really have a chance to get used to working on ue5.

Madflavor

Witcher 3 was terrible RPG with horrible RPG mechanics. I really don't understand how people criticize some aspects of CP2077 then turn around and praise witcher 3 despite how that game suffers from the same issues and more.
The bugs for TW3 weren't nearly as bad as CP77. If you truly believe they were, then I don't know what to tell you other than that sounds like selective memory to me. On top of that the marketing for TW3 didn't oversell the game to be something it wasn't. People ran into issues with bugs when TW3 released, but overall the game was very well received on launch. Let me put it this way. The buggy state of one of these games was bad enough to get pulled off one of the markets, the other wasn't.

I say all of this as someone who loves both TW3 and CP77. If you think CP77 gets more hate than it deserves, then yeah, I'm with you on that. The game is in a much better state than it used to be, and memes and broken promises aside, it's still a great game. But I can't pretend that I wasn't also incredibly disappointed. The developers for CP77 themselves have said they thought it was a joke when it was announced for a 2020 release date. You've got one of the most hyped games in history that wasn't going to deliver on a lot of what marketing said it was going to be, and was not even close to being in a polished playable state. It was a perfect shitstorm.

Guilty_AI

The bugs for TW3 weren't nearly as bad as CP77. If you truly believe they were, then I don't know what to tell you other than that sounds like selective memory to me. On top of that the marketing for TW3 didn't oversell the game to be something it wasn't. People ran into issues with bugs when TW3 released, but overall the game was very well received on launch. Let me put it this way. The buggy state of one of these games was bad enough to get pulled off one of the markets, the other wasn't.
I'm talking about the overall game systems, not bugs. And its not selective memory, the release of The Witcher 3 was terrible too, so much so i clearly remember people talking about it despite having 0 interest in the game at the time. And looking back they were even the same bugs CP2077 had (objects superposing, t-poses, invisible stuff, crashes, etc).
The difference in reception is due to the game no't having nearly the same amount of hype CP2077 had, and there were no butchered last-gen releases. Thats it. Sony only pulled the game due to CDPR instructing people to ask for refunds, which sony didn't want to deal with. They've left games in far worse state up on their store before.

Cyberpunk 2077 is in the same class of The Witcher 3, shares a lot of its design philosophies and even improves on them. There are only three reasons why someone who praises The Witcher 3 would shit on Cyberpunk 2077:
A. Prefers the style/setting of The Witcher over the one of Cyberpunk but doesn't realize it.
B. Gets easily swept over by internet outrage.
C. Played TW 3 much after release and played CP day one, probably on a last gen console.

Last edited:

bbeach123

They dont know how to make a RPG I feel like , its a good action adventure game (more adventure than action...) . But its a terrible RPG .

There was a time I spend hours doing hunt/dungeon , get a new shinny beautiful relic sword , spend hours on upgrade it . And then I do the main quest for an hour , included running around talking to people, watching cutscene . And tada, I was reward enough exp to level up 2 time , and loot a green sword that better than my legendary sword .

CamHostage

This is just assets, not an actual game. It also doesn't have to run on a ten year old tablet CPU. And at times it still looks worse than the original game on PC.

Plus, I know that rips of game assets are out there, and even on Marketplace there are probably assets from big products modified enough to have the "serial numbers filed off" to pass for original creations.

I'm not saying that that's where these Cyberpunk assets came from, I don't know if they mentioned the packages used (there are a ton of "cyberpunk" materials on the official store but there's nothing trademarkable about that name... but between just Cyberpunk 2077 and Blade Runner, there's some clear IP munching going on there,) but there's the hard-work version of this done from scratch by a studio with a couple dozen artists over years, and then there's the communal way this is done where a whole mass of people are sampling the originals and churning out the metawork to make it all available in the big pot of kit for bashing.

april6e

Is cyberpunk worth it now? Considered getting it on series x

On console, unless you are a giant CD Prokect fanboy...no. The game is extremely demanding (the game will cripple a 3090 and console is way worse) and we'll probably need to wait until the mid life console upgrades to actually get decent performance in the game. The game also, outside the good story, is pretty bare in terms of being able to play around in the world. I would wait until DLC comes out and fleshes out the game.

On a high end PC though, the game is great assuming you are only playing for the story. Game is gorgeous and the story is pretty enjoyable. Again though, there is nothing to do outside the story besides generic radiant "kill this" missions. It's not like GTA where its fun to play around in the world when you aren't doing the campaign.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is cyberpunk worth it now? Considered getting it on series x
Only if you're into what the game has to offer (cyberpunk settings, deus ex style immersive sims, story-driven action adventure, lite-rpgs like the witcher)

The game is extremely demanding (the game will cripple a 3090 and console is way worse) and we'll probably need to wait until the mid life console upgrades to actually get decent performance in the game.
False. Game runs even on middle low-range pcs with good graphics and performance. I played this on a gtx 1660S with high-ultra settings at 1080p/40fps. The only way this'll cripple a 3090 is if you crank up every ray tracing setting to the absolute maximum and try to run it at 4k without DLSS.
Game runs fine on current consoles after 1.5 patch. Just go on youtube and check for yourself.

The game also, outside the good story, is pretty bare in terms of being able to play around in the world. I would wait until DLC comes out and fleshes out the game.
Depends on what you consider 'play around the world'. There are no "COUSIN LETS GO BOWLING" types of activities indeed (thank god), but the game is flourishing with side-quests, gigs or just random conflicts scattered throughout the world.
In fact, much like The Wicther 3, those are the best part of the game.

Last edited:
rQoHyff.gif

Oswald of Carim approves that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom