• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Gets Mind-Blowing Unreal Engine 5 Treatment by a Fan

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Enfant Terrible, a YouTuber and an Unreal Engine 5 indie developer, recently shared an amazing video from their most recent project in Epic Games’ powerful engine, showing off its capabilities in handling a cyberpunk world.

According to the creator, they have used the MetaHumans Creator for crafting the human face in this demo as well as some Environment megapacks picked up from Epic’s own marketplace.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
looks good. never really been one for caring about these unreal engine updates but that looks brilliant. i enjoyed cyberpunk and think it can look great at times but it's sad that CDPR held it back by putting it on last gen. i know it would be stupid for them to ignore PS4/XB1 but i wish it was for PS5/XSX/PC only.

maybe this is what the Cyberpunk sequel will look like. We know CDPR are moving to UE5 for The Witcher 4 and it only makes sense that the Cyberpunk sequel will use UE5 or even UE6 (any cyberpunk game is likely at least 10 years away).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Watching that video, the feeling im getting is how impressive the actual game actually is graphically. Im not impressed by this ue5 demo, im impressed how amazing the real game is on a years old tech

cyberpunk on pc with full on RTX is a great looking game. but one thing that annoyed me was that during day time the game looks so "flat" and washed out. i don't know what it is...maybe shit AO but then you'd think RTX would sort that out.

VFXVeteran

Banned
cyberpunk on pc with full on RTX is a great looking game. but one thing that annoyed me was that during day time the game looks so "flat" and washed out. i don't know what it is...maybe shit AO but then you'd think RTX would sort that out.
It's the lack of AO on characters' clothes and other objects. They should have used AO on non-static objects but they didn't. It looks very flawed.

This demo is better looking to me than any other UE5 demo out. It's really really good.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

CP is already a looker

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah. . .the goal of better rendering technology isn't to get us closer to the Uncanny Valley, because god damn if that "trailer" isn't full on camping in it.

. . .more, it somehow manages to look less vibrant and distinctive than the source material.

Holy shit. How can random people do this is one month while real studios with hundreds of devs haven’t been able to get a game looking like that after two years.

What’s happened to this industry?
This is just assets, not an actual game. It also doesn't have to run on a ten year old tablet CPU. And at times it still looks worse than the original game on PC.

Madflavor

Is cyberpunk worth it now? Considered getting it on series x
I played through the whole game on release (PC), and am currently playing it for a 2nd time with the 1.5 patch.

The game is in a much better state than it originally was. There are still bugs in the game, but it's not even close to as bad as it was on release. There have been some quality of life improvements, such as the ability to change your looks and being able to buy different apartments. The Perk system has been restructured and is much more interesting and balanced now. Police AI is still a joke, but Civilian AI is definitely better than it used to be. Overall the game has been improved in a lot of ways, but there's still plenty of room for growth. They still plan on supporting the game and there's an expansion in development.

Aside from that the world building and atmosphere is top tier, the characters are amazing, the story is pretty good but the side stories are even better. Combat will always be one of the most subjective aspects of a game, but I think it's good enough, and there are a variety of builds. There are legit great things about the game that were there from the beginning, and now with the game being in a much better state than it was before, plus the fact that you can get it on sale right now, there's no reason not to try it out imo. My only recommendation if you do try it out, is to treat the Open World as a backdrop, rather than something you can interact with. I would say the lack of things to do in the Open World is the game's biggest weakness. But if you can get over that, the game is a wonderful and immersive romp in a Cyberpunk setting.

Jose92

[Membe
The beginning 20 seconds is how i imagined cyberpunk would look like, the lighting and animations is really good.

Madflavor

For under $10 sure but anything more hell no

That seems pretty harsh. I think it depends on the person. If someone is a fan of story heavy games or the Cyberpunk genre, I would easily recommend it now at a much higher price than that. Less than $10 though? Come on man, as someone who's sunk over 100 hours into the game there's plenty of things in it that are legitimately good to even great.

That seems pretty harsh. I think it depends on the person. If someone is a fan of story heavy games or the Cyberpunk genre, I would easily recommend it now at a much higher price than that. Less than $10 though? Come on man, as someone who's sunk over 100 hours into the game there's plenty of things in it that are legitimately good to even great.
The steelbook version was on sale a wile back for $10
The game is a major letdown RPG wise going from Witcher 3 with it great story & great RPG elements to Cyberpunk was bad for me & many others

saintjules

Out of curiosity, what would be needed on a Console spec perspective to achieve something like that in terms of gameplay. Certain hardware that doesn't exist yet I guess?

I still think about the Division 1 E3 trailer from 2013, and some of what that did still hasn't been achieved gameplay wise.

Burger

I keep trying to get into Cyberpunk, but in the outdoor sections there is like 25 people. I keep thinking about Megacity One or LA from Bladerunner. Should be fucking heaving with people but it's like everyone has gone on holiday somewhere else. When you drive down the roads that are like 6 lanes, you think why did they build the roads so big when only 10 people in this city have vehicles. Absolutely ruins it.

Fredrik

I keep trying to get into Cyberpunk, but in the outdoor sections there is like 25 people. I keep thinking about Megacity One or LA from Bladerunner. Should be fucking heaving with people but it's like everyone has gone on holiday somewhere else. When you drive down the roads that are like 6 lanes, you think why did they build the roads so big when only 10 people in this city have vehicles. Absolutely ruins it.
Hasn’t this been ages ago?
I only play on PC, the city has been crowded since day 1. Biggest issue with the population is the repeated faces, bodies, walk paths and clothes.

KXVXII9X

Yep! Game developers have a habit of trying to make things "look" realistic but ignore important attention to detail that takes away from the realism.

KXVXII9X

No matter how many videos i watch and how "much better" everything is supposed to be, it still looks empty, boring and the world is dead as hell.
It depresses me that all it takes for a game to be realistic is the surface level looks. Not the way the game behaves. Level design, A.I., animations, physics, interactivity, and attention to details be damned.

yamaci17

its the resolution for me

1080p+dlss quality on night time = looks brilliant
1080p+dlss quality on day time = looks ugly, hideous. complete opposite

4k+dlss balanced on night time = looks brilliant. even more so.
4k+dlss balanced on day time = definitely looks brilliant.

alex also knows this, hence why he choose day time comparisons in deathloop for his FSR video. night time makes the low resolution appear sharper/cleaner. day time brings more artifacts and pixels oddities to surface

that's my experience though. cant be sure. maybe you too played at 4k dlss balanced. no idea

Last edited:

Reallink

Watching that video, the feeling im getting is how impressive the actual game actually is graphically. Im not impressed by this ue5 demo, im impressed how amazing the real game is on a years old tech

Because games stopped being engine and technology limited last generation, it has been primarily budget and artist driven for nearly a decade now. UE5's claim to fame is automation, necessitating fewer artists and smaller budgets for similar results, but it doesn't really do anything that couldn't be achieved with the couple hundred million dollars AAAA games command these days.

Last edited:
Because games stopped being engine and technology limited last generation, it has been primarily budget and artist driven for nearly a decade now. UE5's claim to fame is automation, necessitating fewer artists and smaller budgets for similar results, but it doesn't really do anything that couldn't be achieved with the couple hundred million dollars AAAA games command these days.
Well kinda…engines weren’t spitting out infinite geometry before…there were LODs and you need infinite geometry and real time lighting to achieve CGI like visuals…

ahtlas7

I just can’t get into this game but I love, LOVE, the city density and complexity. I drive around just for fun and it’s beautifully rendered on my 3080 machine. Damn, I wish I could understand wth I should be doing gameplay wise.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

I still havent played this game. Sitting in my backlog though. Didnt it jut receive an update not long ago?

WitchHunter

Enfant Terrible, a YouTuber and an Unreal Engine 5 indie developer, recently shared an amazing video from their most recent project in Epic Games’ powerful engine, showing off its capabilities in handling a cyberpunk world.

According to the creator, they have used the MetaHumans Creator for crafting the human face in this demo as well as some Environment megapacks picked up from Epic’s own marketplace.

Very nice, but CP77 still looks 653 times better. Nothing can touch that visual level. I can hear the painful screams of 3D engines when they face the Redengine 9 with its gargantuan, photorealistic pixeldick wrapping around their necks and squeezing every bit of raytrance from them.

WitchHunter

Holy shit. How can random people do this is one month while real studios with hundreds of devs haven’t been able to get a game looking like that after two years.

Nothin... to breathe life into it you need a shitton of sweaty manhours.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I still havent played this game. Sitting in my backlog though. Didnt it jut receive an update not long ago?
Yeah, update is a big deal if you're on a next gen console, it's a way better experience now. On PC it's less of a big deal as the game was already in good shape before the update. And on last gen, it's hopeless regardless.

DaGwaphics

IKR. Some talented people out there. A lot of the demos on YT are something else.

Top Bottom