• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Has a New Game Director

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Cyberpunk 2077 now has a new game director to oversee the future of the game’s content releases including the future updates and expansions planned. Gabriel Amatangelo, the former creative director on Cyberpunk 2077, will now take over as the new game director with Adam Badowski no longer in the position he’s been in since the game’s launch. Badowski will still be with CD Projekt, however, and will take on “other leadership duties.”

News of the transitions within the Cyberpunk 2077 development team came from GamesIndustry.biz which reported on the news this week. The new game director Amatangelo joined CD Projekt back in January 2020 and worked as a creative director for Cyberpunk 2077 before moving into his current position. In the past, he worked on DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition and also worked on new content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The appointing of a new game director wasn’t the only change that’s happened within the Cyberpunk 2077 team lately either. Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, the now former quest director for Cyberpunk 2077, announced this week that he was leaving not only his position but CD Projekt Red as a whole. He didn’t give an indication for why he wanted to leave other than saying he felt like “it’s time for a change” and that he wasn’t sure where he’d end up next.

As for Amatangelo’s new responsibilities, he’ll be the one spearheading the content coming in future expansions.

Eh idk, who was the director of the witcher 3?

I want that guy directing lol anybody else is likely to be....worse.

I swear if cdpr loses its touch bc of it being trendy to hate on cyberpunk to an exaggerated degree, and switches its staff up to the point where they arent the same dev that can give me creative handwritten passion projects imma be annoyed lol

It'll be bethesda/bioware/irrational all over again

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Eh idk, who was the director of the witcher 3?

I want that guy directing lol anybody else is likely to be....worse.

I swear if cdpr loses its touch bc of it being trendy to hate on cyberpunk to an exaggerated degree, and switches its staff up to the point where they arent the same dev that can give me creative handwritten passion projects imma be annoyed lol

It'll be bethesda/bioware/irrational all over again
He was Witcher 3 director.

junguler

Banned
even if they somehow manage to do the impossible and deliver on everything they promised i think it's too late and not many people might be giving them a second chance with this game, it's very hard to build that kind of a goodwill people had for this company and they fucked it up so easily ...

SnapShot

You know, gamers are angry, often rightly so. The problem is that the spiral of hate has turned to such an extent that any talking well about cyberpunk 2077 is already taboo

Btw. I bought a bike yesterday

You people do realize that the same management/directors that were in charge of Witcher 3 were also in charge of CP2077 right? The same people that also left? The devs were not to blame. The directors and managers that left and allowed what happened are to blame. Changing directors/management is a good idea because they wont allow themselves to fail as previous ones.

Flabagast

You people do realize that the same management/directors that were in charge of Witcher 3 were also in charge of CP2077 right? The same people that also left? The devs were not to blame. The directors and managers that left and allowed what happened are to blame. Changing directors/management is a good idea because they wont allow themselves to fail as previous ones.
Most notably story and quest teams (reasons why Witcher 3 was so beloved) are the same between the two projects.

I never understood the fake news saying that the team was massively replaced. In fact, most of the leads are strictly the same as well. There have been some changes on the engine side, as well as animation and cinematic design, but all the creative crew is identical.

For Witcher 3:
Game Director : Konrad Tomaszkiewicz
Lead Writer : Marcin Blacha
Lead Quest Designer : Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz
Lead Environment Artist : Lucjan Więcek
Technical Art Director : Krzysztof Krzyścin
Gameplay Lead : Grzegorz Mocarski
Music Director : Marcin Przybyłowicz

For CP2077:
Second Director : Konrad Tomaszkiewicz
Story Director : Marcin Blacha
Lead Quest Designer : Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz
Environment Art Director : Lucjan Więcek
Technical Art Director : Krzysztof Krzyścin
Gameplay Design Director : Grzegorz Mocarski
Music Director : Marcin Przybyłowicz

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’ve held out on this one.. any chance they end up restoring all of the cut content and promised features, at least on the Series X and PS5? With No Man’s Sky - and AC Unity, a little, there’s precedent for games recovering..

I’ve held out on this one.. any chance they end up restoring all of the cut content and promised features, at least on the Series X and PS5? With No Man’s Sky - and AC Unity, a little, there’s precedent for games recovering..
They need to get the game that's out to run better and fix current bugs before they start rolling out new content. It sounds like it's been getting better, but slowly with a long ways to go, especially on the consoles it is actually made for - PS4 and XBO.

abcdrstuv

Banned
They need to get the game that's out to run better and fix current bugs before they start rolling out new content. It sounds like it's been getting better, but slowly with a long ways to go, especially on the consoles it is actually made for - PS4 and XBO.
I'm not really worried about how long it takes.. just that they stay committed to the original vision.. DLCs/expansions are great, but it sounds like there's a lot that got cut or wasn't implemented in time. Would buy once it's all there.

I'm not really worried about how long it takes.. just that they stay committed to the original vision.. DLCs/expansions are great, but it sounds like there's a lot that got cut or wasn't implemented in time. Would buy once it's all there.
A lot gets cut in every AAA game though.

Top Bottom