• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold over 18 millions copies as of today

I think this is a game that's going to go on to quietly sell a lot of copies as the game continues to get content and people keep getting the newer consoles.

Nautilus

Banned
I have learned from enlightened users here on this forum that we should be grateful for CD Project Red, and for anyone else that does this, for fixing this wonderful game, and for having the audacity to care about us lowly gamers, even after the game launched and they took our money!

ALL HAIL PROJECT RED!

"A broken game is never a scam if it is fixed later"

- Miyamoto

MScarpa

I have yet to buy this trainwreck, but I feel terrible for all the people who got scammed. Really fucked up.

Played the game at launch on PC. I liked the story and characters. Hated the world. The world is worse than Watch Dogs 2, in my opinion.

Fredrik

I think this is a game that's going to go on to quietly sell a lot of copies as the game continues to get content and people keep getting the newer consoles.
Yup I think so too.
A friend is thinking about trying it on XB1 but I try to get her to wait until she have a XSX to get a good first impression, the game deserves better than what the old consoles can offer. I did my first playthrough on PC, couldn’t play with Ray-Tracing at the time (had a 1080ti) but at Ultra it was still an amazing experience I’ll never forget. The story telling and immersion is top tier 👌

18 million and for a new IP to boot, could’ve sold more (and it will do that) but no spins can change that it’s still a success, which is why CDPR is talking about it.
I mean, this game sold only 4 mln more after release with 14 mln preorders. It has to be some world record in bad sales in comparisent to preorders

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
awesome. well done!

i know it'll probably be like 10 years away but i can't wait for a sequel. i love witcher but cyberpunk genre is my shit. there aren't enough cyberpunk games out there.

I have yet to buy this trainwreck, but I feel terrible for all the people who got scammed. Really fucked up.
i bought it and enjoyed it. definitely not scammed.

how can you call it a trainwreck if you haven't bothered to play it? or do you just believe everything people tell you to believe?

Last edited:

Belthazar

I honestly think they would've sold more if they scrapped the PS4/X1 versions. The (well deserved) backlash soured all discourse around the game.

The game was under $10 a month after launch, so even with the release of current gen versions I don't think much of those copies were even sold at, or even close to, full price.

18 million is not bad, but definitely way below expectations and what was possible for this game. Wonder if they even managed to break even with this one.

Mr Moose

does the "sales" number represent TOTAL sales without including refunds, or is it net any and all refunds?
The Management Board of CD PROJEKT S.A. with a registered office in Warsaw (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”) hereby announces that, based on reports obtained from digital distribution platforms and data collected from physical distributors, it estimates that by 20 December inclusive gamers have purchased over 13 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077. This figure represents the estimated volume of retail sales across all hardware platforms (factoring in returns submitted by retail clients in brick-and-mortar as well as digital storefronts), i.e. the “sell-through” figure, less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the “Help Me Refund” campaign.

This is their previous sales announcement.

Last edited:

Belthazar

So 18 million sold is now a disappointment and failure? What an idiot.

We don't know the budget for the production or the massive marketing for this game... 18 million could be a failure. And even if it managed to break even, it's still way below the potential for a game that came after The Witcher 3's massive success. The Sales dropped off a cliff, even with it costing like $5~10 basically since launch.

Money. Witcher 3 released 7 years ago. Even if we assume that the average sale of the game was $40, that means it brought in $1.6 billion over that time. You could probably bump that number to $2 billion or a little over for various additional transactions prior to the game of the year bundles and such.

Fortnite released 5 years ago. It made $3.7 billion in 2019 alone. That means it made twice as much money in one year as Witcher 3 has in 7 years. If you add in the 2018 revenue, it made over $9 billion. In two years.

I can pretty much guarantee you the initial investment in Fortnite was nowhere near the cost of something like Witcher 3. That's why companies are chasing these live service games instead of putting their eggs into Witcher 3 shaped baskets. Because if you land a hit with these kind of games, you can bring in tons of money with typically nowhere near the upfront cost of a big, sprawling WRPG.

Yeah, I don't buy it. It's a poor comparison.

There is only one Fortnite or COD: Warzone or Minecraft. And for every one of those mega GaaS titles, there are 10 others who struggled to even make back their initial investment.

Pubs aren't dumb enough to think that they can release 15x GaaS games a year and see sustained player engagement metrics for all 15. This is why pubs are still greenlighting and developing SP games like Saint's Row, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Vampire the Masquerade, FF, Resident Evil etc etc, to fill in the release library.

So your premise is incorrect. Pubs aren't not making WRPGs like TW3 because they are making Fortnite. They aren't making Fortnite clones at all. They are making other SP games like Ghostwire Tokyo, DeathLoop etc that are more risky ventures than WRPGs that have a fucking huge market.

And I don't see how TW3 releasing 7 years ago is relevant unless you think the game sold 40+million copies 7 years ago. The game has been selling consistently over the past 7 years. That's the point. Games like this and GTAV are evergreen. The market for them is fucking huge. Different players buy-in at different prices all the way along the game's pricing curve. So it's very unlike other AAA titles that are front-heavy saleswise and die off after their first 3-4 years after release.

MScarpa

awesome. well done!

i know it'll probably be like 10 years away but i can't wait for a sequel. i love witcher but cyberpunk genre is my shit. there aren't enough cyberpunk games out there.

i bought it and enjoyed it. definitely not scammed.

how can you call it a trainwreck if you haven't bothered to play it? or do you just believe everything people tell you to believe?
I've played it, I just haven't purchased it. I wouldn't give them my money after that mess. I'll buy it second hand when a proper next gen version comes out and all the issues are fixed. I'm glad you enjoyed it. To each his own.

luffie

Money. Witcher 3 released 7 years ago. Even if we assume that the average sale of the game was $40, that means it brought in $1.6 billion over that time. You could probably bump that number to $2 billion or a little over for various additional transactions prior to the game of the year bundles and such.

Fortnite released 5 years ago. It made $3.7 billion in 2019 alone. That means it made twice as much money in one year as Witcher 3 has in 7 years. If you add in the 2018 revenue, it made over $9 billion. In two years.

I can pretty much guarantee you the initial investment in Fortnite was nowhere near the cost of something like Witcher 3. That's why companies are chasing these live service games instead of putting their eggs into Witcher 3 shaped baskets. Because if you land a hit with these kind of games, you can bring in tons of money with typically nowhere near the upfront cost of a big, sprawling WRPG.
And you haven't even touch the king that is Genshin, 2b in 1 year 🤭 from pc alone

anothertech

Didn't play or watch playthroughs at all till next gen patch. For me it released in Feb 2022. So fucking glad I did that.

I'm on my 4th playthrough and it's one of my goat. Super sad not everyone got to experience it like that.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I've played it, I just haven't purchased it. I wouldn't give them my money after that mess. I'll buy it second hand when a proper next gen version comes out and all the issues are fixed. I'm glad you enjoyed it. To each his own.
Played the console version...
e3f4751a093df23c71a9e345da2ae70a.jpg

Last edited:

deeptech

This proves that marketing and fake hype is better at selling your game game than actual quality of game itself, and this is without even talking about absurd technical mess that it was. I wonder why should they bother with making actual good games from now on.

It's no Hello Games redemption arc, but cyberpunk is a good game. I'm glad I got to play it after they fixed most of the issues so I don't regret my purchase. Just wish they would have added a new game plus, so I can experience the other starts without completely restarting.
Will maybe be the update at the end of the year to keep the game relevent and in conversation before the expansion.

Mozzarella

I was sure of a 2022 expansion release, i got played by Projekt Red :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Anyway, i hope it will be worth playing, they do make excellent expansions, in fact they made my favorite expansion of all time so i have faith it can be a very good one.

We don't know the budget for the production or the massive marketing for this game... 18 million could be a failure. And even if it managed to break even, it's still way below the potential for a game that came after The Witcher 3's massive success. The Sales dropped off a cliff, even with it costing like $5~10 basically since launch.
I think they announced a couple of months after launch and after all refunds were taken into account that they recouped cost of production...I might be remembering wrong.

MScarpa

Sure. People with 100~200 hours of playtime all just messing around...
Oh come on, you can't seriously say the game wasn't a complete mess upon release. All of the videos, all of the bugs, crashes, etc were made up? I get it, you like the game, and I'm glad you do, but to think the game wasn't the most bug ridden, broken game to come out in recent memory, well you're in denial.

Draugoth

Gold Member
So 18 million sold is now a disappointment and failure? What an idiot.

Then delay the game to fix it. They could have sold 50m by this point, but their studio head was too greedy.

The problem is that Fortnite is Fortnite. It completely dominates the market and it's extremely unlikely another studio would be able to make a battle royale with any revenue remotely as close to Fortnite.

Last edited:
Then delay the game to fix it. They could have sold 50m by this point, but their studio head was too greedy.

The problem is that Fortnite is Fortnite. It completely dominates the market and it's extremely unlikely another studio would be able to make a battle royale with any revenue remotely as close to Fortnite.

justin timberlake GIF

No. The game would have sold precisely what it sold, maybe an extra 1-3 million by this point. The game will continue selling over the years. This is a massive success for an amazing game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Oh come on, you can't seriously say the game wasn't a complete mess upon release. All of the videos, all of the bugs, crashes, etc were made up? I get it, you like the game, and I'm glad you do, but to think the game wasn't the most bug ridden, broken game to come out in recent memory, well you're in denial.
I had only 1 game breaking bug that need to reload a quick save. One. I don't need any video.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

League of Legends: $1.75 billion in 2020. No console version. Released in 2009
Apex Legends: $1.6 billion over its first two years. Released in 2019
Call of Duty: Warzone: $1.91 billion in a single year. Released in 2020
DOTA 2: $406 million in 2017. Released in 2013
PUBG: $333 million in 2021. Released in 2017

It's not just Fortnite. A well made live service game that snags an audience can make you boat loads of money. While I can't be sure about Call of Duty because lord knows how much Activision spends on having all those studios work on it, the others on that list likely made their games for a fraction of the Witcher. That is why companies are chasing this shit. Because the potential payout versus the investment is astronomical. It is exactly why Sony is aiming to get 10 live service games out by 2026. It is without a doubt one of the motivators of Microsoft buying Activision. Even card games like Hearthstone have brought in as much as $40 million per month. Its revenue on mobile alone was $660 million over 3 years or so. They made that game for pennies by comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom