• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold over 18 millions copies as of today

We are getting endless amounts of western open-world games.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Western open world =/= WRPG.

So I'm not sure why you considered this relevant. Unless you somehow think all open-world games are the same?

Assassin's Creed and Horizon are basically the same type of game as Witcher 3. What makes Witcher 3 an RPG, but not all those other open-world games?
Horizon has always been an action RPG. And Assassin's Creed's last two entries are indeed more full-fledged RPGs.

But that's two games. Where are the other "endless amounts" of WRPGs you're talking about?

The fact that you had to back peddle and pick actual RPGs to defend the relevance of your point about there being "endless amounts of open-world games", only goes to highlight the irrelevance of your previous statement.

There are endless amounts of non-RPG open-world games. But I'm not asking about them. I want more WRPGs. And there aren't many.

ZehDon

how many of those 18m had a refund though?
All sales figures posted by CDPR have been inclusive of refunds.

18 million is a terrific number. It's a great game - easily one of the best of the past few years. Bummed we have another year to wait until the expansion pack, but can't wait to see what they've been brewing.

JayK47

Three years to make an expansion is pretty ridiculous. Whole games are made in that time-frame. Unless it is essentially a sequel, that is really sad. Seems like they are doing too much at the same time and are spread too thin.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is outrageous to me. But congratulations anyway..

Horizon has always been an action RPG. And Assassin's Creed's last two entries are indeed more full-fledged RPGs.

But that's two games. Where are the other "endless amounts" of WRPGs you're talking about?

The fact that you had to back peddle and pick actual RPGs to defend the relevance of your point about there being "endless amounts of open-world games", only goes to highlight the irrelevance of your previous statement.

There are endless amounts of non-RPG open-world games. But I'm not asking about them. I want more WRPGs. And there aren't many.
We get Assassin's Creed almost every year.

Ghost of Tsushima, Far Cry (also tons of them), Watch Dogs, Outer Worlds, Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, Dragon Age Inquisition, Immortals Fenyx Rising

All of those are as much/little RPGs as Witcher 3 and they're all very similar style of games. And I didn't even list the Japanese ones that are starting to do the same thing.

zaanan

Banned
I am astonished at the people saying “they should have just skipped PS4/XB1.” This game was announced at the start of the PS/XB generation, so they had the *entire gen* to make it work. If GTA, AC, HZD etc could do it, why not CDPR?

Also, this glosses over the fact that they only allowed reviews of the PC version. They knew they were releasing a pile of steaming shit on console, but went ahead and did it anyway.

And, this $18m sales number only subtracts refunds requested directly from CDPR via email, so I guarantee they are not counting all the PS/XB/Steam returns.

Just a bunch of shady ass motherfuckers all around. No, they do not deserve congratulations for this “success,” or the millions they got from Polish taxpayers either, for that matter. And I say this as someone who was really looking forward to the game, and now may never play it. I fucking hate being lied to.

All sales figures posted by CDPR have been inclusive of refunds.

18 million is a terrific number. It's a great game - easily one of the best of the past few years. Bummed we have another year to wait until the expansion pack, but can't wait to see what they've been brewing.

To say it's "one of the best of the past few years" is a major stretch. Sure, they may have fixed some of the problems, but the fact remains they overpromised and under-deliverd. They knew going in the game was not ready as they restricted reviews on the PC version only.

the 18m figure only speaks to how gullible the average consumer is.

Roni

Gold Member
Awesome! Been enjoying this on PC since launch, played far too many hours tbh. I’m out of it today but can’t wait to jump in again if they make a great expansion.
I jumped back in with 1.5, fell in love with the game again.

Cyberpunk was a game of such high quality, with so few bugs, that Sony removed it from their store because it was in such a poor state for the PS4 - one of the target platforms.

clarky

Gold Member
Played it on PC around launch, had a fairly decent experience, I'd have give it 8/10. The world they were going for has flashes of brilliance when it works correctly. I'd definitely check out an expansion.

Sucks for last gen players though that shit looked rough as.

Not anymore.

Ghost of Tsushima,

Not an RPG.

Far Cry (also tons of them),

Not an RPG.

Watch Dogs,

Not an RPG.

Outer Worlds,

Yay! Finally.

Red Dead Redemption 2,

Not an RPG.

Days Gone,

Not an RPG.

Dragon Age Inquisition,

An RPG, but from 2014, man... Really?!?!

Immortals Fenyx Rising

Not an RPG.

All of those are as much/little RPGs as Witcher 3 and they're all very similar style of games. And I didn't even list the Japanese ones that are starting to do the same thing.

You are either being disingenuous as hell or fucking dense if you think all these games are as much RPGs as TW3.

And the premise of this whole discussion is about WRPGs, i.e. Western RPGs (i.e. the genre not where the game was made). So again, quite why you think Japanese RPGs are relevant beggar's belief.

Not anymore.

Not an RPG.

Not an RPG.

Not an RPG.

Yay! Finally.

Not an RPG.

Not an RPG.

An RPG, but from 2014, man... Really?!?!

Not an RPG.

You are either being disingenuous as hell or fucking dense if you think all these games are as much RPGs as TW3.

And the premise of this whole discussion is about WRPGs, i.e. Western RPGs (i.e. the genre not where the game was made). So again, quite why you think Japanese RPGs are relevant beggar's belief.
If those aren't RPGs, neither is Witcher. Hell, not sure what makes Skyrim an RPG over those. They all have levels, skill trees, side quests, etc. They all follow nearly identical game structure. So do other games that you don't want to acknowledge because they were developed in a different part of the world. It just "beggars belief", lol (nerd).

You're just wrong, but I can tell you won't understand that, so I won't waste more breath.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The cyberpunk launch was a bummer, the reactions were a tad overreacty I think I’ll replay the game sooner rather than later.

If those aren't RPGs, neither is Witcher.

W.T.F....!!!

How is fucking Day's Gone a WRPG? You're on crack mate. Lay off the drugs.

The only person who is wrong here is you. Your criteria for defining a WRPG is way too loose. Levels skill trees and side quests alone don't make a game an RPG. There has to be some meaningful amount of role-playing, so choice and consequence within the game that meaningfully impacts the narrative. WRPGs have comprehensive loot systems. Branching dialogue trees. The list goes on and on.

so I won't waste more breath.

Yeah, you shouldn't. You're just embarrassing yourself with your sheer lack of knowledge about what constitutes an RPG together with your insistant reliance on contrived BS arguments.

Last edited:

ZehDon

... the 18m figure only speaks to how gullible the average consumer is.

To say it's "one of the best of the past few years" is a major stretch...
"You didn't like the game as much as you think it did. CDPR scammed you!" Do you often believe you know what people are thinking better than themselves?

Cyberpunk 2077 was my GOTY, and its easily one of the my favourite RPGs. Its the open world, cyberpunk FPRPG I've wanted for decades. It absolutely delivered everything I wanted. If you didn't like it, that's ok, sorry to hear it was a miss for you. But telling people they're wrong and have been scammed for enjoying a game that they enjoyed is just non-sense.

Last edited:

Brofist

Ghost of Tsushima, Far Cry (also tons of them), Watch Dogs, Outer Worlds, Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, Dragon Age Inquisition, Immortals Fenyx Rising

You have a very loose definition of RPG. Some of those games may have RPG elements, and developers have managed to shoehorn crafting and some kind of skill tree into every single game though.

Last edited:

Madonis

It's not a bad number in general but it's below what they expected, so the suits probably aren't happy.

Because people turned away from the game pretty quick after release. The bugs didn't help, but I think the glitches would be tolerated if the rest of the game had really turned out great.

Instead, I though it was somewhat flawed but mostly okay. Not enough for me to replay it or anything until the expansion either way.

Last edited:

Vaelka

The game is obviously very flawed, I especially disliked how it wasn't really a RPG you had even less choice to shape V than you did with Geralt lol.
V never felt like my character at all.

But it was still a great game ( I played it after 1.5, refunded at launch due to bugs ).
I like that it didn't give a shit too, it wasn't sanitized by some concerned dad at the office like it feels every game in NA is now.
It was full of sex and people actually acted the way you'd imagine people in the underworld would act like without it feeling cartoonish.

A game like that would NEVER happen under a big US publisher not a fucking chance it's just sad to think about that.
There were endless articles being mad about it both before and after the games release I just dunno why it became so mainstream amongst journalists and game devs to be so insanely uptight about it.
The world they created was very believable and felt real and it just wouldn't have otherwise.

The characters were also really good, I didn't like Judy at all at first but ended up liking her a lot at the end probably my favorite character.
I think they did a great job at writing them in a natural way that made sense they came across as very real.

Last edited:
Thats a damn good number in only 1.5 years after all the crap that was going on with it. Witcher 3 is more than double those numbers but its also a 7 year old game that got boosted sales after the Netflix show.

Strategize

Gamers™ fucking it up for everybody.
Actually I simply just did what most non-retarded people who were also interested in the game did. Instead of putting blind faith in a developer whose never released a big game without it being filled with bugs at launch, then paying full price only to be shocked pikachu at their most ambitiuos game also being their most buggy...

I...
1) Didn't suck CDPR's dick and treat them as if they have a Rockstar, Naughty Dog like record of releasing polished games day 1.
2) Waited for reviews and impressions.
3) Laughed at all the meltdowns.
4) Played other things until they patched most the issues.
5) Saw the 1.5 patch, looked up impressions for it.
6) Brought the game for 1/4 of it's orginal price.
7) Played and enjoyed a much better and cheaper version of a game that despite some faults, is still better than the vast majority of big budget games out there.

People blindly buying games in the modern era without checking first only have themselves to blame.

DukeNukem00

Banned
It had 8 million preorders, so they sold an additional 10 million copies after launch.

Calling it a record in bad sales is hilarious.

It was 13 million at launch. It only sold 5 more million, at discounted prices in the next year and a half. The game massively underperformed relative to expectations. The goal and projections was for this to be one of the biggest new ip's ever. But the game fell off a cliff instead. For some reason people dont understand how to interpret sale figures. It dfoesnt matter how 18 million reads, if the goal and possibility was for the game to hot three times that number.

If you study for an exam for weeks, you think you know everything and you're confident you're gonna get a 10/10 but instead you get an 8/10. That's still a good grade, but you failed in your goal to get 10/10. Same with Cyberpunk

Fredrik

it wasn't really a RPG you had even less choice to shape V than you did with Geralt lol.
You can shape Geralt? Admittedly I’ve only started over twice, and never finished it, but was stuck playing as the same ol cranky Geralt and feisty Ciri both times with no noticeable variety. There are plenty of things I love about TW3 but the role-playing isn’t it, to me it pretty much feels like playing a Final Fantasy game, with 100+ bonus hours of side content.

While Cyberpunk has the same issues with a predetermined main story as most games I at least have choice over V’s gender, looks and origin story. I like that. I know some like a predetermined character more but for me it makes it more interesting to start over if I have more choices.

That said, few RPGs do actual role-playing, and even less get it right. There is always going to be an overarching storyline and while big story consequences can be interesting devs can’t assume people will happily replay 100 hours to notice the variety they’ve put in there. It’s tricky.
How can they add variety and choices without adding late game frustration? I don’t know. Playing with a guide is kinda boring and finding out at the end of a 200+ hour game that I made one wrong choice months ago that caused me to not get the good ending is never a good feeling.

reksveks

From the graphs and IBF

Cyberpunk sold 13.7m units in 2020
Cyberpunk sold 4.3m units in 2021 (+1 quarter 2022)

2020 split
PC: 8.5m units
PS: 2.88m units
Xbox: 2.33m units

2021 split
PC: 2.92m units
PS: 0.43m units
Xbox: 0.95m units

total split
PC: 11.4m units
PS: 3.3m units
Xbox: 3.3m units

2021 splits makes sense given you couldnt buy it in PSN for a huge chunk of the year

Only NeoGAF members could make out that 18 million sales is a flop. Still this is a board that tried to make out that RE7 was a flop with just 4 million in sales early in *rolleyes*

JahRumble

Banned
It's well deserved.

A lot of people who experienced it on consoles probably didn't have a great experience but CDPR has always been a PC first developer.

Most people who played and enjoy CP2077 are PC gamers and most of us don't really have console games on our radar.

Also to the guy who thought Days Gone and RDR are WRPG, if your criteria is that wide, you should also add NBA2K series to your list because they have skill trees and sliders too.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

18 million mean they have to make a sequel eventually right? while i was disappointed in a lot of ways with this game i love the city and the world building so i'm happy if they make another one, just use unreal engine next time

Miles708

18 millions is crazy good regardless of expectations.

The question is: what lessons will CDPR and the industry as a whole learn from that?

Fredrik

18 million mean they have to make a sequel eventually right? while i was disappointed in a lot of ways with this game i love the city and the world building so i'm happy if they make another one, just use unreal engine next time
Eventually, I hope so, but that’s going to be like in a decade. Their focus now seems to be the next Witcher game and they’re also doing a Cyberpunk expansion, iirc there is a nextgen TW3 update too. I can see TW4 release at the very end of this console generation, I doubt they’ll rush it. Realistically a new Cyberpunk game would arrive far into next console generation. 😕

Javthusiast

Banned
Actually I simply just did what most non-retarded people who were also interested in the game did. Instead of putting blind faith in a developer whose never released a big game without it being filled with bugs at launch, then paying full price only to be shocked pikachu at their most ambitiuos game also being their most buggy...

I...
1) Didn't suck CDPR's dick and treat them as if they have a Rockstar, Naughty Dog like record of releasing polished games day 1.
2) Waited for reviews and impressions.
3) Laughed at all the meltdowns.
4) Played other things until they patched most the issues.
5) Saw the 1.5 patch, looked up impressions for it.
6) Brought the game for 1/4 of it's orginal price.
7) Played and enjoyed a much better and cheaper version of a game that despite some faults, is still better than the vast majority of big budget games out there.

People blindly buying games in the modern era without checking first only have themselves to blame.

This is how I do it too at this point. I don't buy games at launch anymore, because of this shit and because I have to much to play anyway all the time already between gamepass etc.

The only exceptions are studios which I 100% trust and that have great games released already that I love. And a certain director going by Kojumbo, because well he is my favourite director of all times in gaming. Even my biggest disappointment in gaming, TPP for which I have been the most hyped for ever for years, I have sunk almost 100 hours into, because of the gaming loop being so fun.

Top Bottom