• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a complete long term disaster, knocks down value of CD Projekt RED by a whopping 75%. No longer Poland's biggest game studio

GHG

Gold Member
Considering they still haven't delivered what was promised:

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

I hope the upper management got a wake up call in all of this.

They can bounce back if the next-gen version of The Witcher 3 is as polished as possible, and they go full throttle on The Witcher 4. They're on thin ice, but if they're handling these two projects with the utmost care and importance, then they'll bounce back no problem.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Playing through the game now. Quite enjoyable. Doesn't change the open world paradigm and not nearly as ahead of its time as Witcher 3, but still very good.

I think the game was likely too ambitious and perhaps the inhouse engine was a pain. Will be interesting to see what they do with Witcher 4.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
honestly think it's overblown. yeah they shouldn't have released it for last gen but can't blame them. i know they market themselves as "we leave greed to others" but at the end of the day they are business out to make money. it's all marketing bullshit. plus, the "fans" have themselves to blame too for getting way too hyped. the first gameplay reveal literally had a watermark saying it was work in progress and not final. yet we still had people crying that this and that wasn't in the final game when they saw it in the gameplay trailer.

i'm not saying Cyberpunk was amazing or perfect. i have some issues with it but the hate it got is ridiculous. i've played games in much worse state and somehow they seem to get a free pass.

i hope CDPR do better with Witcher 4 and eventually "Cyberpunk 2" (yes there will be a sequel) but Cyberpunk is still a fun game and i can't wait for the expansion to go back and replay it.

Dying Light is better than any cdpr game by a wide margin, and I loved Witcher 3
that's like your opinion. DL (1) was average at best. I don't know how you can say that DL is better than Witcher 3 by a wide margin. lmao but hey you're entitled to your opinion :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Do you have any other stocks that you are looking at where you see similar behavior of the 1% and the 99%?

In hindsight it seemingly always makes sense when big holder are selling or interpretations of events in general.

Been out of that game long time ago but MS hitting a peak of 330 and right now is only at 240, thats a steal IMO. A lot of their moves are long term money makers. As its declined for about a year you can also see it drops, rises, drops rises +/- 5 to 10 and in a 3 day stretch in June out of no where the stock lost -30 and continues to go up and down a few. Also their report for 4qt is incoming which no doubt will be positive, so you know what that means.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They've been making games a lot longer than CDPR.
Would it really be so hard to believe?
maybe they have but that doesn't mean anything. Cyberpunk is only CDPR's 4th major game or 8th if you include stuff like Witcher Adventure, Gwent, Thronebreaker, Battle Arena.

Techland has made ~40 games. less than 10 of them are "well known" or popular. Dyling Light is probably the most successful and still doesn't come near Witcher

Last edited:
I thought the game did very well?

The hate boner people get when a game doesn't live up to their expectations is baffling to me. I played it, thought it was pretty good, and moved on with my life.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The amount of "Cyberpunk failed" comments are mine numbing. I doubt the is anyone in finance who thinks the game failed.

As someone already mentioned, the company was almost surely overvalued based on the CP77 hype which cowinkydinkly coincides with their valuation increasing to absurd levels in a short time.

Also the idea that TECHLAND of all companies is worth more is absolutely silly.

I'll never understand how they thought it was a good idea to release this 2 years before it was completed

What would two years have done? The biggest install base for consoles at the time were the PS4 and XB1. No amount of time was going to make those machines able to handle the game. The game on hardware that could run it was good, despite the bugs, and you could see exactly what they were going for with it.

honestly think it's overblown. yeah they shouldn't have released it for last gen but can't blame them. i know they market themselves as "we leave greed to others" but at the end of the day they are business out to make money. it's all marketing bullshit. plus, the "fans" have themselves to blame too for getting way too hyped. the first gameplay reveal literally had a watermark saying it was work in progress and not final. yet we still had people crying that this and that wasn't in the final game when they saw it in the gameplay trailer.

i'm not saying Cyberpunk was amazing or perfect. i have some issues with it but the hate it got is ridiculous. i've played games in much worse state and somehow they seem to get a free pass.

i hope CDPR do better with Witcher 4 and eventually "Cyberpunk 2" (yes there will be a sequel) but Cyberpunk is still a fun game and i can't wait for the expansion to go back and replay it.

that's like your opinion. DL (1) was average at best. I don't know how you can say that DL is better than Witcher 3 by a wide margin. lmao but hey you're entitled to your opinion :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Because a game being better or worse is 100% subjective and is purely an opinion. The same way you say it's average at best. Better/worse aren't objective statements. Anybody saying otherwise is brainwashed by critics and journalists

Shifty1897

CDPR released Rouge Mage the other day, it's a whole lot of fun, was priced fairly, and hasn't crashed once on me, so maybe they're learning from their mistakes. Plus a free next gen upgrade for Witcher 3 is coming, hopefully that will be good.

Shifty

An event put into yet starker relief after someone necro'd that "we think CP2077 will be a long term success" thread from just under a year ago.

Straight hubris.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

AJUMP23

I am sure they will recover as they have GOG which makes a ton of money. Stock might be undervalued right now. Could be a good time to buy in and wait for those Witcher gains.

Bartski

Gold Member
The amount of "Cyberpunk failed" comments are mine numbing. I doubt the is anyone in finance who thinks the game failed.

lmao you mean the finance department of CDPR? And who do you think gives a fuck about what they think? We're talking about 8.5 BILLION DOLLARS LOST since 2020 for shareholders in stock value.
Those are the employers of "finance" just like everybody else there.

Good. Fuck this piece of shit overrated game that I knew was gonna fail years ahead of its releases when I've seen it at private showings. And fuck CDPR for their scam too. Overrated dev.

Oh and before you say Witcher 3 is good, that's called lightning in a bottle that gave them too much ego afterwards.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Stock prices are controlled so much by public opinion and not by the numbers on the page. There is no doubt that CP made them a lot of money, even from just PC pre-orders. It just net them a lot of ill will as well and that has investors worried about their ability to create hype for a future release, hence the lowered stock prices (along with the general market situation figuring in). Have no idea what the dev cost was, but I'd be surprised if they didn't turn a nice profit on CP, even with all the time they spent on it.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned

a0TwQAW.jpg
Perhaps more galling for CDP is the possibility that they are no longer Poland's biggest game studio. Business Insider Poland draws on some maths done by Puls Biznesu, a Polish business daily, to suggest that Techland might now be Poland's biggest game company by market cap. The numbers on this one are pretty fuzzy, though: Techland aren't listed on a stock exchange, so PulBiznesu had to guess at what their share price would be to arrive at its final estimate of a market cap of around zł10.6 billion.

WUT?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
lmao you mean the finance department of CDPR? And who do you think gives a fuck about what they think? We're talking about 8.5 BILLION DOLLARS LOST since 2020 for shareholders in stock value.
Those are the employers of "finance" just like everybody else there.

Market valuations for a company change all the time, especially corrections which it looks like CDPR went through. Their stock price was entirely driven by hype surrounding expected performance and longevity of CP77. Given that they've released no hard information about what their long-term plans are for CP77 as a content platform and haven't released any major development updates beyond confirming that yes, another Witcher is coming, their stock price settling back down to pre-CP77 levels shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

Note that NONE of the above counters the fact that CP77 was a financial success and I'm waiting for anything that says otherwise.

Jaybe

I don’t know what I hate more, buggy broken releases or logarithmic scale. Shame they pushed this out early. They probably should have launched PC first based on stability and reception, or PC & current gen only. I have no clue what the platform breakdown was for the launch month and currently, but the last gen releases damaged them. They had the most goodwill of any developer back in early to mid 2020 and put it all on fire for a cash-in to meet the quarter.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077 is good now

Just remake witcher 1 while theyre making the sequel

Shouldve help reduce the damage

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
"Disaster" lol.

Yeah, the whole situation was a disaster, and the game could have easily sold double the ammount. But it still did ~ 15 million, and once the dust settles(even further), CD Red is going to keep porting the game to a bazillion systems and keep making money out of it indefinitely, just as it does with the Witcher 3.
Which is CDPR refused to allow it to be put on Gamepass. They view it as their No Mans Sky.
In some ways, it's not completely out in left field, as I feel the game is fairly solid now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Spencer and Nadella looking at this:

Rubbing Hands Disagree GIF
Please fucking don't. The last thing we need is for CDPR to end up under the umbrella of a corporation that is incompetent when it comes to getting games released.
It'll end up being 15 years before we get another CDPR game after it's announced 5 minutes after the acquisition. A studios known for delaying games under a publisher than can't manage games leading to countless delays.

Yeah, no fucking thanks.

Unless of course, you put Rodd Fergusson in charge of the studio.

Last edited:

TonyK

I finished the game recently in Ps5 and I disliked it from beginning to end. It's not about bugs or graphics, that was fine, game was very boring to me, theme and plot simply didn't click on me. I hated all characters, specially the Keanu Reeves one. Game is like a visual novel with totally scripted and guided gameplay. Zero freedom, pointless crafting and leveling, only serviceable gunplay, etc. Game is a disaster from a game design standpoint.

Pagusas

Elden Member
i wonder if they regret launching the game in 2020 now, maybe they should have just delayed the game for 2 more years even it would have cost them a lot but man, what were they thinking?

Nope, the problem with Cyberpunk is at its core, the game needed a better direction and gameplay. More time in the oven wouldn't fix the ingredients being wrong. As it is now the game is "fine/ok", but thats the entire problem, it was suppose to be genre defining/amazing.

TastyPastry

Nope, the problem with Cyberpunk is at its core, the game needed a better direction and gameplay. More time in the oven wouldn't fix the ingredients being wrong. As it is now the game is "fine/ok", but thats the entire problem, it was suppose to be genre defining/amazing.

you're probably right. it kinda blows my mind how bad certain parts of cyberpunk are. like for example the fact that there is no working traffic AI, a feature that games like gta 3, mafia or the first saints row have. if you try to simulate a futuristic city with cars and everything, wouldn't traffic AI be one of the first things to prototype? things like that i just don't get. it's like cdpr is a small indie studio and not a AAA dev with hundreds of people working there.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
To be fair, CD Projekt was very overvalued before Cyberpunk 2077 launch. Their market cap was bigger than Ubisoft at this time if I'm not wrong.

I also think it's an issue of overvaluation over Cyberpunk's issues.
The game sold pretty well, even if it didn't really deliver on the initial promise. The DLCs may still bring new life to it, and the Witcher is still CDP's most valuable franchise.

Regardless, back in 2020 those shares were putting CDP with a total market valuation of about $8B. That's just ridiculous considering they had one successful franchise at the time, one franchise with no game releases and an e-store that doesn't bring any money due to its no-DRM core policies.
Valve is being evaluated in less than $8B, Ubisoft is worth around $5B and Square Enix is $5.5B.

Denton

They've been making games a lot longer than CDPR.
Would it really be so hard to believe?
Latest and largest game by Techland sold twice less than Cyberpunk, and has half the amount of players despite coming out much later and having multiplayer.

Techland is not public company so nobody knows their exact worth, but if anyone is calculating it as higher than CDP, they are extremely overvaluing them. Just like CDP was overvalued in 2020 and is now at a realistic level.

Nope, great game

I'm sure being right next to Ukraine has something to do with the share price.

Probably worth a consideration to buy at some point, will pay off if Witcher 3 is a return to success for the company.

Top Bottom