• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a complete long term disaster, knocks down value of CD Projekt RED by a whopping 75%. No longer Poland's biggest game studio

Eh, this article is all about the share price, which isn't the same as the position the company is in. The stock price got inflated during the pre-release Cyberpunk hype and then took a beating amid all the controversy. And of course there are plenty of things going on in the world at the moment contributing to why the price is staying low. Still, they're at the same levels they were back in 2018 after the success of Witcher 3, so not exactly in a terrible position. And they have Witcher 4 in their back pocket.

And Cyberpunk sold well so it was not a financial failure for the company and it still has legs. Just a few days ago the game had over 18 000 concurrent players on Steam. That's very good for a single-player game so long after release. Also, are there really still people who think it's a bad game? I guess maybe still people stuck with a PS4.
Lots of people who played the game think it's bad because it wasn't a very good experience, aside from performance issues. It was a open world checklist game, with extremely weak RPG elements, a silly main story, and poorly implemented systems. I don't care how it runs now, I'll still never think it's a great game.

Denton

Sorry, didn't last more than 5 minutes in Horizon. Tried it, was moving around as a little girl for some dumb reason, got loaded up with cut scenes, then alt f4'd. I only play real games (which CD Projekt doesn't make either).
I hope you realize you are a dumb ass clown and everyone can see that

I hope Derrick Chase isn't your real name

CD Project Red = "premier PC developer"? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

They might be premier story tellers, but they utterly suck at development. Always did. From piss poor ports like Saints Row 2 to Witcher and ending with Cyberpunk.

Yes, PC is the lead platform of CDP and always has been. And their PC versions have actually been outstanding, Cyberpunk included. Of course, that also led to lastgen console versions being as bad as they were. Should have canceled them.

Saints Row 2 was afaik made by some subsidiary unrelated to CDPR, not to mention it is ancient history.

Last edited:
I hope you realize you are a dumb ass clown and everyone can see that

I hope Derrick Chase isn't your real name

Yes, PC is the lead platform of CDP and always has been. And their PC versions have actually been outstanding, Cyberpunk included. Of course, that also led to lastgen console versions being as bad as they were. Should have canceled them.

Saints Row 2 was afaik made by some subsidiary unrelated to CDPR, not to mention it is ancient history.

It is my real name, and my opinion is apparently better than yours. Imagine actually liking the Horizon games...

beavis-and-butthead-laughing.gif

Cherrypepsi

Lots of mistakes have been made with this game but to me it's a great game and it was very deep and immersive experience.

I hope cdpr have learned from this. Right now, there are clear signs that they have. We will probably not see another Cyberpunk though, which is a shame because this setting had so much potential. Hopefully if the next Witcher in Unreal Engine 5 is successful they will reconsider going back to 2077 once more 🙂

Dodo123

What a BS thread XD
They went through a PR crisis, yes. But EVEN THOUGH the game sold over 18 million copies already. I will repeat, OVER 18 MILLION COPIES.
And they are still at the beginning of the milking process of this cow. Ports are coming, DLCs are coming, then the TV show etc. This is the business model today - you have to make the whole franchise ecosystem, in order to have continuous revenue and to grow brand's prestige.
Their stock price was waaay overvalued and every sane person with basic knowledge of economics knew this - but AGAIN that's the business.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Witcher 3 on pc is a gen ahead than what is on ps4 basic. Hence, premiere pc dev.

Ah sorry, I thought that by premier you mean "best". In that case, yes they obviously target PC first and then have to scale down to fit their game to consoles (and PC version is cut in the process as well).

Gankthenew

i wonder if they regret launching the game in 2020 now, maybe they should have just delayed the game for 2 more years even it would have cost them a lot but man, what were they thinking? they should have gone with a third person rpg from the beginning like it was planned at the start instead of trying to chase every trend at the same time: a borderlands shooter rpg with loot, a deep rpg and on top of that a fully simulated city with traffic and everything. they should have known this project was going to fail, they never had the technology nor the talent to simulate a futuristic city. they can't even make decent enemy AI.

i wonder what's going to happen with the expansion. they seem to already have cancelled the second one so are they going to half ass the first one and once the anime and the new game by the molasses flood (which will probably be a cyberpunk game) are out, drop the IP completly or will there eventually be a cyberpunk sequel?

edit: also as a huge fan and nerd of the cyberpunk genre it just makes me sad that seemingly every cyberpunk project fails. deus ex doesn't sell well and who knows if and when we're going to see a new one. cyberpunk failed. blade runner 2049 bombed. it's like the genre is cursed.
how about Lacuna?

Guilty_AI

if you think the bethesda games like skirim or fallout 4 have deep rpg mechanics i cant take you seriously
I was thinking more on the line of daggerfall, new vegas and morrowind.
And skyrim does have fairly deep mechanics and branching plots, they're just not very good.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Well, I don't know shit about stocks but you'd have to imagine it will accelerate once Witcher 4 comes out.

Cyberpunk was ok in the end, wish they'd give us a 3rd person mode. The project was clearly poorly managed from the start and should have shifted to next-gen.

I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 on PC will be fixed by the community if needed and years from now looked more fondly.

ProjektRED dropped the ball here, they really had a chance of fixing it in the first few months, adding more and more content and fixing some stuff along the way. But they were focusing on the last gen console versions whose main issue (against the other versions) was actually mechanical HDD's. Cyberpunk 2077 actually runs mostly fine (for what it is) since the first patches on both PS4 and Xbox One if there is a SSD installed.

Slowdown not withstanding, but it basically behaves like GTA5 did on Xbox 360/PS3. Instead of going that way, they proceeded to cut more and more stuff on last gen consoles, so the HDD can keep up, which actually made the newer patches worse for people with SSD's (less npc's and the like).

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

If you told me that in July of 2022 I still haven't played cyberpunk, I would have laughed in your face. I was so hyped. Consuming every piece of media.

Yet here I am. Day 1 copy on PS4, still sealed lol.

I keep waiting for this games "no man sky" moment, but I am unsure at this point it will ever happen.

I'm still ok with waiting though. My desire to play this game has evaporated. One day I'll probably just open the case on a whim and play it in whatever state it's in on my ps5. Not this year though.

I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 on PC will be fixed by the community if needed and years from now looked more fondly.

ProjektRED dropped the ball here, they really had a chance of fixing it in the first few months, adding more and more content and fixing some stuff along the way. But they were focusing on the last gen console versions whose main issue (against the other versions) was actually mechanical HDD's. Cyberpunk 2077 actually runs mostly fine (for what it is) since the first patches on both PS4 and Xbox One if there is a SSD installed.

Slowdown not withstanding, but it basically behaves like GTA5 did on Xbox 360/PS3. Instead of going that way, they proceeded to cut more and more stuff on last gen consoles, so the HDD can keep up, which actually made the newer patches worse for people with SSD's (less npc's and the like).
It's not fixable. The knife in the heart of that game is the fact that even the basic plot is such a fucking downer. There's no joy in it. No idea why anyone would want to play it. It blows.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's not fixable. The knife in the heart of that game is the fact that even the basic plot is such a fucking downer. There's no joy in it. No idea why anyone would want to play it. It blows.

Isn't that like the entire point of Cyberpunk? Plus there are plenty of joyful and silly moments along the way, especially if you do companion missions.

Isn't that like the entire point of Cyberpunk? Plus there are plenty of joyful and silly moments along the way, especially if you do companion missions.
I just don't think it works, and I would even argue that Mass Effect 3 would have been FAR better received if it hadn't had a downer default ending, too. There's a reason Disney is so big.

This isn't some indie art house crap. These big AAA games are the equivalent of popcorn chewing comic book movie swill.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just don't think it works, and I would even argue that Mass Effect 3 would have been FAR better received if it hadn't had a downer default ending, too. There's a reason Disney is so big.

This isn't some indie art house crap. These big AAA games are the equivalent of popcorn chewing comic book movie swill.

If you don't have appreciation for Cyberpunk genre you will not like it. Simple as that. It was a good Cyberpunk story.

TastyPastry

the characters suck too honestly. i hate how everyone including V is a prick. i understand that it's cyberpunk and supposed to be edgy but if everyone is like that it just starts getting annoying. panam also sucks honestly, i think people just like her for having a thick ass but personality wise she's lame and annoying as hell, made worse by her being the only option for straight male V.

the characters suck too honestly. i hate how everyone including V is a prick. i understand that it's cyberpunk and supposed to be edgy but if everyone is like that it just starts getting annoying. panam also sucks honestly, i think people just like her for having a thick ass but personality wise she's lame and annoying as hell, made worse by her being the only option for straight male V.
Totally agree. I made a video about Cyberpunk a year before it was released basically saying this and talking about why I was so surprised that the game was being hyped up. Their writing really is unintentional parody.

Your game shouldn't read like something on https://www.reddit.com/r/im14andthisisdeep/ . Asinine, ignorant, emo crapola, and honestly, it's written with such little skill you can actually tell that the people who wrote it aren't native English speakers, which is never a good sign.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Totally agree. I made a video about Cyberpunk a year before it was released basically saying this and talking about why I was so surprised that the game was being hyped up. Their writing really is unintentional parody.

Your game shouldn't read like something on https://www.reddit.com/r/im14andthisisdeep/ . Asinine, ignorant, emo crapola, and honestly, it's written with such little skill you can actually tell that the people who wrote it aren't native English speakers, which is never a good sign.
All these posts and it really sounds you just don't like cyberpunk as a genre. I mean, you yourself is saying you were critiquing the story even before it came out, you'll never like anything when you're determined to dislike it.
I actually didn't have much hopes for it either considering i thought The Witcher 3 was just so-so in the story department, but i was very glad to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
I've seen other WRPG's where that rang true as well, but the quest system, sandbox and content made it so that it didn't matter as much.

At least at launch time, a few years later it becomes more evident people were actually duped. Cyberpunk had some really good ideas, most of them ultimately cut or implemented halfway, but it's still an interesting game. I really think commitment made a difference here.

I won't defend the end result, mind you. I'm thinking about it like Witcher. Witcher 1 is nothing to write home about, but it did some things right or served as a test tube enough that gave them the ground to do Witcher 2 and 3. Cyberpunk could be a stepping stone like that, but they burnt too much costumer good will launching it like they did and then not giving back.

All these posts and it really sounds you just don't like cyberpunk as a genre. I mean, you yourself is saying you were critiquing the story even before it came out, you'll never like anything when you're determined to dislike it.
I actually didn't have much hopes for it either considering i thought The Witcher 3 was just so-so in the story department, but i was very glad to be proven wrong.
No, I was critiquing the writing in Witcher 3.

Guilty_AI

No, I was critiquing the writing in Witcher 3.
And cyberpunk is definitely many steps up that. Its not like TW3 was horrible either so i can at least call CP2077 story good, they also did a great job with the cyberpunk themes which is the thing i initially had doubts about.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They made one masterpiece in the past (witcher 3) and ended up soaring to the reputation of a god tier publisher when it really wasn't deserved. Just cuz you made one good game doesn't mean every one will be a hit.
That being said, one of my friends thinks CP2077 is a masterpiece so yeah and most reception ive heard about the game after the bug fix patch says that it's pretty good, so alls well that ends well i suppose. I just hope they don't shut down after this, it sucks but its not worth an entire fucking company

They made one masterpiece in the past (witcher 3) and ended up soaring to the reputation of a god tier publisher when it really wasn't deserved. Just cuz you made one good game doesn't mean every one will be a hit.
That being said, one of my friends thinks CP2077 is a masterpiece so yeah and most reception ive heard about the game after the bug fix patch says that it's pretty good, so alls well that ends well i suppose. I just hope they don't shut down after this, it sucks but its not worth an entire fucking company
They will sell if things are dire. Cdpr owns the witcher game licence in perpetuity after all.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Just to follow up, and I will let you go read their earnings(its down 7%) and yet the stock increased as i predicted after I said 240 was a steal. All a scam.

Been out of that game long time ago but MS hitting a peak of 330 and right now is only at 240, thats a steal IMO. A lot of their moves are long term money makers. As its declined for about a year you can also see it drops, rises, drops rises +/- 5 to 10 and in a 3 day stretch in June out of no where the stock lost -30 and continues to go up and down a few. Also their report for 4qt is incoming which no doubt will be positive, so you know what that means.

u7ndy5c.jpg

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sooooo is this game dead now? Is the expansion gonna be released or not? Are they gonna keep fixing the AI? What about the multiplayer?
It's been 18 months and I feel like it is completely abandoned. What happened to you CDPR...

Top Bottom