• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Is Getting a Game of the Year Edition

Draugoth

Gold Member

cyberpunk-2077-game-of-the-year-edition-scaled-e1670012903149.jpg

CD Projekt Red has revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 will receive a Game of the Year edition once its Phantom Liberty expansion is released in 2023.

As reported by Polish website Stockwatch (and spotted by Insider Gaming), CD Projekt Red president and joint-CEO Adam Kiciński said during a recent investors conference that Cyberpunk 2077 will follow in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's footsteps and receive the new edition that includes all previously released DLC in one package.

"It's the natural order of things," he said. "It was the same with the Witcher, which, after both expansions, was finally released as a Game of the Year edition and has been on the market that way every since. The same can be expected in this case."

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I may care not much for CD Projekt's Witcher series but I enjoyed CP2077 and looking forward its expansion and might 2nd playthough before it drops in.

Madflavor

Did anyone award it game of the year? I mean I've loved it this year, sense patch 1.5 its been a GOOD game, and it keeps getting better. I legitally like it alot. But Game of the year? Nah.

Considering there are what, 500 or so GotY awards, it's not that surprising any company can just slap Game of the Year Edition on their title and get away with it. GotY is honestly a joke. There's only one film per year that can claim the title Best Picture. There's only one show that can claim Most Outstanding Drama Series. But with Video Games it's a free for all.

MadPanda

Banned
Did anyone award it game of the year? I mean I've loved it this year, sense patch 1.5 its been a GOOD game, and it keeps getting better. I legitally like it alot. But Game of the year? Nah.

If ubisoft could give that name to far cry 6 then cdpr can to cyberpunk 2077, not that it matters. I prefer complete edition name but who cares.

Considering there are what, 500 or so GotY awards, it's not that surprising any company can just slap Game of the Year Edition on their title and get away with it. GotY is honestly a joke. There's only one film per year that can claim the title Best Picture. There's only one show that can claim Most Outstanding Drama Series. But with Video Games it's a free for all.
Well, Geoff is trying to change that 😅

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I want a Surprisingly Well Edition that lets you play through the most interesting part in the story that they decided to skip through.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Re-releasing a game with its DLC and calling it "Game of the Year Edition" is the dumbest fucking trend. I hate that shit.

Just call it the "Complete Edition" or whatever.
Marketing department at work. Way back, the game would be called Deluxe or Collection. But GOTY sounds better.

And a clever way of trying to get sales and high prices again as they technically could just sell new gamers the current copies at bargain prices and tell them the DLC is free. But put it in a new box and people dont know better.

Bluecondor

I just got a PS5 about 3 weeks ago. I am so glad that I waited (nearly two years, as I pre-ordered the PS4 version) to play this game for the first time on the PS5. This is such a great game. I am taking in the entire world, doing all of the side missions and gigs, and am only 7% in on the main story missions. I am really looking forward to the DLC, as it sounds like it will be a substantial update.

Sleepwalker

There are PLENTY of games came out that were cross gen and yet none of them had the same issues as this game did, thats not a good excuse.
Nonsense. It would have won GOTY if they delayed it another 18-24 months. The game runs fine on last gen hardware now.

I am not defending them lol, but for many the PC/next gen version was their goty as launch. Sure they shouldve delayed old gen or straight up cancelled them was my point initially.

Del_X

Kinda applaud the balls on them. "hey, it's the game of the year (in our opinion!)."
It's my GOTY (2022) since I bought it and then just figured I'd come back in two years once it was mostly fixed. It's my favorite game since RDR2.

Last edited:
I am not defending them lol, but for many the PC/next gen version was their goty as launch. Sure they shouldve delayed old gen or straight up cancelled them was my point initially.
I didn't think you were defending them, and the game was still pretty broken on PC at launch, it just became the more favorable version in light of how poorly made the last-gen versions were initially. There are still systems in the game that have yet to be updated and have received band-aid fixes.

Filben

I've finished it yesterday and there are still sooo many glitches and bugs. Nothing game breaking for me, gladly, but so many annoying and immersive breaking things.

Like V getting inside a car by clipping through the hood, sitting center and after the animation's finished sits behind the wheel. Same when getting out of the car, just reverse. Was only fixed when I restarted the game.

Cigarettes from NPC or glasses staying in mid-air even when the NPC moved.

One item (a key) in a quest could be picked up infinitely, even after the quest ended there was a yellow magnifying glass/exclamation mark.

Lots of pop ins of textures and smaller geometry, occasional flicker in textures and effects.

No option to change button layout.

Weird car behaviour, like the car braking at low speeds to a point where tyres would lock up, even when I didn't touch the brakes.

The list goes on.

Mr Hyde

Been waiting for an edition like this. I hope it's includes a PS5 physical copy. Can't wait to dive into this game now that CDPR fixed it. Favors fortune those who wait.

NickFire

LOL ?

To their credit they have done quite a bit to fix some of the issues.
LOL sums up my thoughts on Game of Year Edition. I've got nothing negative to say about new gen version, and I loved every minute of it after paying 10-15 and getting the free upgrade two months later. It's just the game of the year edition label. It's just so absurd in the context of this one.

LOL sums up my thoughts on Game of Year Edition. I've got nothing negative to say about new gen version, and I loved every minute of it after paying 10-15 and getting the free upgrade two months later. It's just the game of the year edition label. It's just so absurd in the context of this one.
Yeah I share the same view. Just doesn't sit right with me.

Could have labelled it 'Complete Edition' or something along those lines. Whatever though its still a decent game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Again they were plenty of games came out that were cross gen and worked fine but with CP2077 it was down right broken and I played the game with 1.6 patch and enjoyed it but still was pretty buggy.

Mr Hyde

Oh sweet summer child.

There is still plenty of time to patch up the game before the expansion releases. I read they're going to revamp the cops making that system better. Plus they probably have more updates in store, bringing more fixes and QoL features into the game.

Top Bottom