• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Thinking up how to make the patch notes sounds like something in universe probably took more time than actually making the patch.

Well its certainly novel. Can't recall a game doing that.

Prefer just boring shit like - "Fixed an issue where Cassandra was incorrectly referencing the player's romantic interest in the Winter Palace". But maybe I'm boring.

Hugare

My solution is even better. Remove the police altogether. So people actually play the game. The witcher 3 didn't have a police system.
When you announce that you are making "the most alive, next gen open world experience" in a futuristic city, then you can bet your ass that people will expect a fully working police system comparable to other AAA open world games

The Witcher 3 was a medieval game. No one expected a police system. But it was a different project with different goals.

They knew that Cyberpunk required a police system. That's why they implemented one.

Their mistake was doing a poor job with it.

If they felt like they werent up to the task, then well, should have made Witcher 4 I guess

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

News about Patch 1.2👆🏻

Good to finally get some news, although I feel like they aren't reading the room very well with these cutesy patch notes. People are fucking pissed and the game has been in a poor state since launch for a lot of players. Going with an in-universe explanation like this only works when your game has a lot of positive momentum going for it.

Oh well, I absolutely loved my time with the game and am excited to go back to it in the future when some substantial changes and additions arrive.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ok, finally got the chance to start this game on a PS5 yesterday. Is there something wrong with the HDR settings? I'm on a LG C9 and I appreciate if anyone has some guidelines to share on how to set this game's HDR settings for best results 🙏 thx

When you announce that you are making "the most alive, next gen open world experience" in a futuristic city, then you can bet your ass that people will expect a fully working police system comparable to other AAA open world games

The Witcher 3 was a medieval game. No one expected a police system. But it was a different project with different goals.

They knew that Cyberpunk required a police system. That's why they implemented one.

If they felt like they werent up to the task, then well, should have made Witcher 4 I guess

The city looks good but yeah it feels dead.
Reminds me of Bioshock Infinite.

- police AI fix
- steering sensitivity slider and a fix for steering speed being affected by fps (especially low fps)
- auto unstuck for cars
- dodge on double tap can be turned off

Too little, too late. I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited for minor changes like these. They really need to up their game if they want to win back the player base.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No cause for concern of course, but the lead gameplay designer left CDPR:

I mean... probably not? His work was done long ago on CDPR and they are probably in the planning stages for future projects. After 8 years and experience as a Lead, he probably just wanted to advance his career and seek other opportunities.

I mean... probably not? His work was done long ago on CDPR and they are probably in the planning stages for future projects. After 8 years and experience as a Lead, he probably just wanted to advance his career and seek other opportunities.
My guess is he will probably start his own studio with some more CDPR folks. I wouldn't be surprised if we see quite a few other high level people leave as well. Seems to be the most logical move at this point.

SJRB

Gold Member

I wasn't trolling or anything, I'm never one of those "omg [insert name here] left the studio, so the studio is DOOMED" kind of guys.

It's just always kinda wild to see a lead developer who worked on a game for years leave.

Dries

Even wondering by now if they’ll dare to go for a full-fledged sequel or not. Franchise seems tainted already. Witcher 4 seems a way more safe bet business-wise.

Mozzarella

No cause for concern of course, but the lead gameplay designer left CDPR:

Woah! so the rumors of Developers planning to leave are actually true, so that means that same rumors that go along with it about the situation being very bad is also true. I guess CDPR is nearing its end. They will probably make some fixes to save their face and leave on a good note. Sad ending but everything has to end.

MadYarpen

Woah! so the rumors of Developers planning to leave are actually true, so that means that same rumors that go along with it about the situation being very bad is also true. I guess CDPR is nearing its end. They will probably make some fixes to save their face and leave on a good note. Sad ending but everything has to end.
This actually means one of the developers is leaving. Just saying.

Although I imagine there could be some truth to the rumours.

Woggleman

Is this game still worth playing? Anyone playing on Series S or Series X?

How does it run now with latest updates?
To me it is worth playing on Series X. This is not to say there are no flaws but I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. For me it ran at a solid framerate and had minimal bugs.

ultrazilla

If you think the company is going to fold, especially when they just re-negotiated the rights for The Witcher franchise, I'll have a hit of whatever you're smoking bro.

CDR had a really shit launch for Cyberpunk no doubt. They can bounce back though and it's not the end of the world for them.

Mozzarella

Tbh, to this day I have no clue who directed all the Witcher games yet I played through them at least 3 times each, all I know is which studio made them lol
Indeed, its weird because lets say a Metal Gear Solid is known as Kojima game, same with Dark Souls, its Miyazaki. Same with The Last of Us its Druckman, same with Valve, its Gabe, even Rockstar director are known. TES with Todd Howard, Planescape with Chris, Castlevania with Igarashi. However when it comes to Witcher 3 people never mention their developers. I think its because Polish names are hard to write and spell. xD

Hugare

Indeed, its weird because lets say a Metal Gear Solid is known as Kojima game, same with Dark Souls, its Miyazaki. Same with The Last of Us its Druckman, same with Valve, its Gabe, even Rockstar director are known. TES with Todd Howard, Planescape with Chris, Castlevania with Igarashi. However when it comes to Witcher 3 people never mention their developers. I think its because Polish names are hard to write and spell. xD
Kojima had been making MGS games for more than 2 decades, writting and directing.

Miyazaki completely changed From Software from a so-so company to one of the industry's best, directing Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne

Druckman has been directing amazing games at Naughty Dog since Uncharted 2, one of the best games of that generation.
Also directed Uncharted 3, that also got amazing scores before directing TLOU.

And so on ...

The Witcher 3 was the first really big hit from CDPR, and there were 3 directors helming the project. All of them havent directed past company projects like TW 1 and 2.

If it was the same director for all The Witcher games, then the comparison would be understandable.

But those games werent the product of a singular director

Last edited:
Kojima had been making MGS games for more than 2 decades, writting and directing.

Miyazaki completely changed From Software from a so-so company to one of the industry's best, directing Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne

Druckman has been directing amazing games at Naughty Dog since Uncharted 2, one of the best games of that generation.
Also directed Uncharted 3, that also got amazing scores before directing TLOU.

And so on ...

The Witcher 3 was the first really big hit from CDPR, and there were 3 directors helming the project. All of them havent directed past company projects like TW 1 and 2.

If it was the same director for all The Witcher games, then the comparison would be understandable.

But those games werent the product of a singular director
Which is what I was trying to point out, I didn't word it well, but yeah in case of CDPR a person leaving doesn't mean that much since they all change game directors with each game, so I'm not that bummed about it :D

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is this game still worth playing? Anyone playing on Series S or Series X?

How does it run now with latest updates?
It is absolutely worth playing, especially if you are not hyped, the game is really good. Well if you story is more important than doing some rendom shit in open world over and over again.

SJRB

Gold Member
tenor.gif

I wonder what their budget for this game would be compared to RockStar and RDR2.

Playing Cyberpunk it's just instantly obvious that the game is technically very messy and all over the place. NPCs, police system, driving etc etc.

Compared to RDR2 the difference is night and day. (Not saying that RDR2 is perfect).

The state that Cyberpunk released in is just ridiculous for a AAA title.

Flabagast

I wonder what their budget for this game would be compared to RockStar and RDR2.

Playing Cyberpunk it's just instantly obvious that the game is technically very messy and all over the place. NPCs, police system, driving etc etc.

Compared to RDR2 the difference is night and day. (Not saying that RDR2 is perfect).

The state that Cyberpunk released in is just ridiculous for a AAA title.
Difficult to get the exact numbers but Cyberbunk has more or less cost a third of RDR 2 when you include marketing (~300$M vs ~1$Bn). You've got to factor in the fact that salaries in Poland are lesser than those of Rockstar devs, but still there is a significant gap.

Denton

Cyberpunk was developed by 250 (at the start) to 500 (at the end) people, over 4 year period. And it is an RPG with nonlinear story and missions that offer quite a lot of freedom.

RDR2 was developed by 1600 people across all of Rockstar's studios during 7 year period, and the game is almost completely linear, with every mission being completely scripted with a single movie-like outcome.

Both games are immense achievements. But it is true CDP bit off more than they could chew - in particular, lastgen versions should have been canceled and the game postponed as a result, for more polish and more nextgen hardware being available - but everyone is a general after the battle.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Cyberpunk was developed by 250 (at the start) to 500 (at the end) people, over 4 year period. And it is an RPG with nonlinear story and missions that offer quite a lot of freedom.

RDR2 was developed by 1600 people across all of Rockstar's studios during 7 year period, and the game is almost completely linear, with every mission being completely scripted with a single movie-like outcome.

Both games are immense achievements. But it is true CDP bit off more than they could chew - in particular, lastgen versions should have been canceled and the game postponed as a result, for more polish and more nextgen hardware being available - but everyone is a general after the battle.
Not even CDPR calls it an RPG any more. They changed it open world action adventure story somewhere along the way.

Raven117

Gold Member
Holy making huge assumption Batman!

kuncol02

Banned
Not even CDPR calls it an RPG any more. They changed it open world action adventure story somewhere along the way.
If you want to treat it as action adventure game then it's even worse for RDR2 and other similar games. In RPG genre it has heavy competition in how missions are designed (New Vegas, Alpha Protocol) but in action adventure genre it's mission structure is unparalleled.
RDR2 is terrible game. It's "go 20m off designed path to game over" terrible. It gives you less freedom in how you want to play missions than average linear shooter like Call of Duty.

Flabagast

RPG does not really mean anything anymore but if we go back to traditional conventions CP2077 fits the criteria more than Witcher 3 imho.

You've got more differences between playthroughs (character sex which influences available relationships, lifepaths that albeit disappointing are still there, quests chains that can be more easily missed, endings that are more numerous and fleshed out that the 3 of W3) and mainly WAY more diversity in gameplay choices, character builds / customisation and ways to tackle missions.

TBF I'd say that W3 falls into the "action adventure" genre while CP2077 is kind of in between, independantly of the perceived quality of both games.

TLDR you can't call W3 a RPG if you say that CP isn't one. While not as deep as expected, your V is still your own more than Geralt was.

harmny

Banned
RPG does not really mean anything anymore but if we go back to traditional conventions CP2077 fits the criteria more than Witcher 3 imho.

You've got more differences between playthroughs (character sex which influences available relationships, lifepaths that albeit disappointing are still there, quests chains that can be more easily missed, endings that are more numerous and fleshed out that the 3 of W3) and mainly WAY more diversity in gameplay choices, character builds / customisation and ways to tackle missions.

TBF I'd say that W3 falls into the "action adventure" genre while CP2077 is kind of in between, independantly of the perceived quality of both games.

TLDR you can't call W3 a RPG if you say that CP isn't one. While not as deep as expected, your V is still your own more than Geralt was.

Yeah. Cyberpunk is more of an rpg than tw3

Denton

Only because they wanted to attract the GTA crowd, so they de-emphatized the RPG term on their twitter and few other places, but it's still very much an RPG - more so than Witcher 3, which everyone considers an RPG.

kuncol02

Banned
Only because they wanted to attract the GTA crowd, so they de-emphatized the RPG term on their twitter and few other places
And that was their biggest mistake (except of course releasing unfinished and literally unplayable game on consoles).

sertopico

Knowing the way they work on patches, i.e. till the very last minute, I am expecting it to release on the 31st. Maybe today we will get the full changelog.

Top Bottom