• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.61: FSR 2.1 Tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S - A Big Boost To Image Quality?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

The new 1.61 patch for Cyberpunk 2077 mostly fixes on improvements and bug fixes - but there is one big new improvement for graphics fans - the inclusion of FSR 2.1 upscaling. The game's ray tracing and performance modes do not render at native 4K, so the addition of FSR2.1 should boost image quality. But what's the difference and is there any improvement to performance? Tom has answers for you.

FSR.jpg

Last edited:

Arioco

B... Bu... but... This is not possible, PS5 doesn't support FSR 2.0 or 2.1. I read it on GAF.

EDIT---------

I have to say that it looks great, by the way. Even on Series S it makes a huge difference despite the lower native rez to reconstruct the image from. Much, much better than the TAA the game used until now. I hope we'll see it implemented in more games.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Although I'm a Nvidia diehard I appreciate AMD creating FSR for the console players. FSR seems to be better than the other temporal upscalers besides DLSS.
I hope Amd will make FSR3 possible on all cards. As Nvidia doesn't care to support rtx 3xxx cards.

I am not sure if this is an improvement though. He says the biggest problem (1.61 being worse than 1.6) is when panning the camera, but isn't what we do the most in a FPS?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
B... Bu... but... This is not possible, PS5 doesn't support FSR 2.0 or 2.1. I read it on GAF.
That was about FreeSync, I understand that it's too much names for a gaffer to know.

FSR is and possibly always will be no-ML solution, so no DLSS level "magic".

No matter version.

Nvidia always wins, etc.

GHG

Gold Member
who said that? never saw a single person claim this... FSR2 is a pure software based upsampler, noone with more than 2 braincells would claim that

Here you go:

I understand this, but maybe the full effects of the technology cannot be tapped unless you have RDNA2 GPU. The PC version of God of War uses FRS2 but not the console version, so that seems fishy.

If I recall correctly, Sony did not implement all features of RDNA2 in the PS5 console. Perhaps this limits how effective the FX Super Resolution technology can be on the platform?

Thief1987

So basically nothing. Improvements only visible on 4x images, noticeable disocclusion artifacts, and same to worse performance. Good job.

winjer

Gold Member

Overall FSR2 is a net win for all new consoles, intelligently picking out the details we want enhanced, while also addressing issues with the image, like ghosting on movement and the flickering on hair. There's more stability, fewer distractions, and a greater push for detail at range. The only downside is that algorithm is still work-in-progress, with AMD working to improve the technology even now. Image breakup is still a problem, and in fact, on Series S specifically there's moments where the image momentarily breaks up during basic forward movement. Cyberpunk has come a long way since its launch though. Every new patch - even incremental ones like 1.61 - seem to make an impact, showing that CD Projekt RED is far from done with the game

GHG

Gold Member
It's terrible when you actually read, what people think. I understand that not everyone should knows everything. But failed smug fucking pseudo-intellectual behavior in technical aspect of the console, has been great embarrassment of this site.

Not all, lot of cool people here.

But holy shit.

Honestly it's embarrassing, especially when you consider the fact that we do in fact have some knowledgeable people here on various topics but when presented with the facts some people don't want to take it on board and learn.

Unfortunately not everyone can be helped.

FireFly

Just curious, but who said that?

Look, FSR 2.0 isn't supported on the PS5. As it isn't supported, it can't be used by developers.
It's not supported yet because Sony has chosen not to support it.
If they decide to support it then the PS5 would be able to use it just as well as the Xbox.
I have heard a couple of times that Sony is working on their own reconstruction technology for the PS5. Wether that's the Insomniac one, I don't know.
So why hasn't Sony supported FSR 2.0?
Because if they have a solution that they think works better, then they will want developers to use it over just using FSR as a crutch because it's also on PC and Xbox. So if FSR isn't supported it means devs will have to adopt the Sony solution.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/amd-...pc-and-xbox-developers.1638278/post-266316805

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I hope Amd will make FSR3 possible on all cards. As Nvidia doesn't care to support rtx 3xxx cards.

We will see. AMD aren't even sure they can do it and have said as such. If the input lag it generates is too close to the lag of motion interpolation implementations already built into TVs then it's worthless.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
[AMD FSR3] is not a reaction or a quick thing [to DLSS3], it is absolutely something we have been working on for a while. Why is it taking a little bit longer for it come out, that you’d probably hoped for? The key thing to remember about FSR is the FSR philosophy and FSR until now did not just work on RDNA2 or RDNA1 they work on other generations of AMD graphics cards. They also work on competitors graphics cards. It is exponentioally harder than if we just made it work on RDNA3. […] We really do want to work on more than just RDNA3.

— Frank Azor, AMD

Belthazar

The game is at a good point technically already, they should focus on delivering on the promises they made of making the world feel alive and interactive IMO. The NPC behavior is still just as bad as it was at launch and it should be a higher priority than a new upscaling solution.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So basically nothing. Improvements only visible on 4x images, noticeable disocclusion artifacts, and same to worse performance. Good job.
"Overall FSR2 is a net win for all new consoles, intelligently picking out the details we want enhanced, while also addressing issues with the image, like ghosting on movement and the flickering on hair. There's more stability, fewer distractions, and a greater push for detail at range. "

the fuck are you talking about?

sncvsrtoip

Kudos for cdprojekt to impelement fsr2.1 also on os5 as if Im not wrong sony ddint release yet any libraries helping with that

intbal

CDPR should add FSR 2.0 to the PS4Pro and Xbox One X versions of this game.
Both are GCN4, which supports FSR 2.0. Both have more raw compute power than Series S (50% more in the case of One X).
If CDPR is comfortable with the image quality of Series S when bottoming out at 1344x756, then they should have no problem allowing the same resolution on Pro/X in a new performance mode. Even if it's just an uncapped framerate, it would be better than playing at 30fps. The RX 570 saw a 27% increase in average framerate with the use of FSR 2.0 (reference). That card is the same hardware as One X but with 25% lower performance and 46% lower bandwidth. The One X should easily surpass 40fps in a performance mode, which, given the options of 120hz output or VRR, would make that a consistent and playable experience. Not so sure about PS4Pro, but they should at least take a shot on it.

Arioco

What ?

Fsr =/= RDNA.

Just curious, but who said that?

That was about FreeSync, I understand that it's too much names for a gaffer to know.

FSR is and possibly always will be no-ML solution, so no DLSS level "magic".

No matter version.

Nvidia always wins, etc.

Show us who said that?

Seriously? Are you all going to pretend you never saw messages like this on GAF? You've been provided with several examples by other users, I want to add one more:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/tech...review-the-dlss-killer.1636503/post-266166457

Lol.
AMD has released all the systems and GPUs that support FSR 2.0. They listed Xbox Series Console and not PS5. So as of now it won't work on PS5.
Nowhere did I say I heard Sony won't accept it, infact I said who knows what Sony will do.
I gather from your post that English is your second language? If so you might have misunderstood what I said.

With regards to Arrogant Sony, yeah they have gone back to the Sony of old.
Compare how Sony has talked about the PS5 console and its tech compared to MS with the XSX.
MS released die shots, went into massive detail in Hot Chips and other presentations. Jason Ronald and other MS guys have made themselves available to go on podcasts and be interviewed to talk about the Xbox Series consoles and the tech in them.
On the other hand Sony did one Wired article, a half baked presentation from Cerny and then fucking radio silence. They didn't even reply to Digital Foundry to say if the PS5 had VRS or not.
The image it gives me as a person who likes to look at the various tech companies have is that Sony is silent because they don't have alot of the features that the XSX does.

Now the Sony fanboys will come on and say that Sony doesn't owe anyone anything to talk about their console. That it's great that Sony don't tell the people who bought a PS5 how their console works or what's in it, or that the PS5 is loaded with Zen 3 and RDNA 3 parts that Sony don't want MS to know.
Sure.

winjer

Gold Member
I was wondering why CP2022 isn't using FSR 2.2
According to Rys Sommefeldt, they are still working on the public release of FSR 2.2
They probably had a special project to implement it first in FH5.
Let's just hope CDPR updates it to FSR 2.2 when the new version releases.

We're working on finishing off the public release and it'll be out ASAP. Keep an eye on GPUOpen for the news as soon as we're done 🤓

Imtjnotu

CDPR should add FSR 2.0 to the PS4Pro and Xbox One X versions of this game.
Both are GCN4, which supports FSR 2.0. Both have more raw compute power than Series S (50% more in the case of One X).
If CDPR is comfortable with the image quality of Series S when bottoming out at 1344x756, then they should have no problem allowing the same resolution on Pro/X in a new performance mode. Even if it's just an uncapped framerate, it would be better than playing at 30fps. The RX 570 saw a 27% increase in average framerate with the use of FSR 2.0 (reference). That card is the same hardware as One X but with 25% lower performance and 46% lower bandwidth. The One X should easily surpass 40fps in a performance mode, which, given the options of 120hz output or VRR, would make that a consistent and playable experience. Not so sure about PS4Pro, but they should at least take a shot on it.
CPU on both of those will not help with Frs.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Although I'm a Nvidia diehard I appreciate AMD creating FSR for the console players. FSR seems to be better than the other temporal upscalers besides DLSS.

I'd love to see how it compares to the reconstruction techniques used for HFW latest performance patch and GoW Ragnarok TAAU but I guess we won't know until the PC ports arrive.

DaGwaphics

When was anyone actually saying that though. FSR works on Polaris. LOL

I'm assuming you are going back the the RDNA2 bit, but FSR has never been an RDNA2 feature in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom