• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.61: FSR 2.1 Tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S - A Big Boost To Image Quality?

HAHAHA

I hadn't realized but fuck, you're right, it's him again! 😂
The Shining GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Arioco

You're bringing up something someone wrote half a year ago to flame a console war? Wow.

Yeah, dude, half a year, it's not like someone was saying CDPR must have mislabeled the patch LAST THURSDAY after the patch was released, you know...

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/cybe...-and-next-gen-consoles.1644963/post-266915761

Could it be that only Series X got fsr 2.1 yesterday and CD Project mislabelled it as "next gen console(S)"? Because on ps5 it looks th3 sam3 as pre patch to my eyes. Maybe i need to play more but that was my impression after fiddling with it for 15 min

CDProject has fucked up with mislabelling stuff before (next gen patch was initially labelled as having RT reflections and shadows in the options when it didn't)

But I'm the one fueling the console war.. Ok. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
who said that? never saw a single person claim this... FSR2 is a pure software based upsampler, noone with more than 2 braincells would claim that

Show us who said that?

f I recall correctly, Sony did not implement all features of RDNA2 in the PS5 console. Perhaps this limits how effective the FX Super Resolution technology can be on the platform?

I understand this, but maybe the full effects of the technology cannot be tapped unless you have RDNA2 GPU. The PC version of God of War uses FRS2 but not the console version, so that seems fishy.

The highlighted areas suggests that older GPU architecture or even some that don't have all RDNA2 features may not see as much of a boost as newer full RDNA 2 ones. Nothing controversial is being posited here.

Look, FSR 2.0 isn't supported on the PS5. As it isn't supported, it can't be used by developers.
It's not supported yet because Sony has chosen not to support it.
If they decide to support it then the PS5 would be able to use it just as well as the Xbox.
I have heard a couple of times that Sony is working on their own reconstruction technology for the PS5. Wether that's the Insomniac one, I don't know.
So why hasn't Sony supported FSR 2.0?
Because if they have a solution that they think works better, then they will want developers to use it over just using FSR as a crutch because it's also on PC and Xbox. So if FSR isn't supported it means devs will have to adopt the Sony solution.

People were saying the PS5 will not benefit fully from it because it needs an RDNA 2 GPU.

People were skeptical because it wasn't mentioned alongside PC and XBOX. The same people who are liking posts and saying, "Who said this?" are the same people who liked some of these comments in the thread.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, dude, half a year, it's not like someone was saying CDPR must have mislabeled the patch LAST THURSDAY after the patch was released, you know...

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/cybe...-and-next-gen-consoles.1644963/post-266915761

But I'm the one fueling the console war.. Ok. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You're bringing up a post from half a year ago to ego boost an FSR patch released recently.

Did that post from May 2022 hurt you that badly? What GAF member aside from you would even remember or care about that thread from 6 months ago?

You'd have more fun in gaming if your post history (which I just checked) wasn't almost all console warring Vs. threads.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You're bringing up a post from half a year ago to ego boost an FSR patch released recently.

Did that post from May 2022 hurt you that badly? What GAF member aside from you would even remember or care about that thread from 6 months ago?

You'd have more fun in gaming if your post history (which I just checked) wasn't almost all console warring Vs. threads.
If you guys have no problem calling out people about Xbox Series S sales, then don't complain when people call out Xbox fans for their FRS2 comments.

If anyone says anything dumb on this forum, people are going to call it out and bring it up in the future. It was very clear from the beginning that PS5 was going to use FRS2, but didn't want to believe it.

Arioco

Thank you for your interest in my post history. I'd like to have the same courtesy but actually I won't check yours because honestly I'm not interested at all. But I bet I would find some gems of those worthy of being brought up 6 months later. 🙄

👋

If you guys have no problem calling out people about Xbox Series S sales, then don't complain when people call out Xbox fans for their FRS2 comments.

If anyone says anything dumb on this forum, people are going to call it out and bring it up in the future. It was very clear from the beginning that PS5 was going to use FRS2, but didn't want to believe it.
oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Lots of dumb stuff was said in that monster thread. We will definitely see more stuff come back to bite people in the bum.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thank you for your interest in my post history. I'd like to have the same courtesy but actually I won't check yours because honestly I'm not interested at all. But I bet I would find some gems of those worthy of being brought up 6 months later. 🙄

👋

Bruh, come on.

You've posted numerous times in the other thread where the Cyberpunk FSR 2.1 patch was announced and people posting videos and pictures from it, you posted content yourself.

But you didn't feel the need to make this RDNA/FSR post.

You knew exactly what you wanted to do with this first post ..

Last edited:

light2x

Nice. Very promising for this gen especially as FSR improves.

I'm sure it freed up some performance headroom as well.

Bruh, come on.

You've posted numerous times in the other thread where the Cyberpunk FSR 2.1 patch was announced and people posting videos and pictures from it, you posted content yourself.

You shouldn't have ate that testical then.

Cat Thank You GIF by hoppip

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have to admit this shit is just funny.

Edit: To be fair I said some really stupid shit as well. Like believing the PS5 was going to release broken. That was hilarious.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

At least this is another example that shows that it can be a benefit to the finale image on console.

I remember there was some discussion about whether it would cost too much to be worth implementing on the consoles (especially for XSS).

Last edited:

YCoCg

Fantastic result, it'll be even better when they update to 2.2 which apparently has better handling at motion ghosting and uses less process time.

Arioco

Bruh, come on.

Yes, I posted videos of the patch running on PS5 as some people asked for, so what?

And you posted on the thread where that guy said PS5 didn't support FSR 2.0 (I didn't) and still asked me for proof that anyone ever said that because apparently you forgot it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Besides, you never feel the need to engage those people and tell them their words were bullshit, why should I?

If I chose this thread is just because everyone can see FSR 2.1 running on PS5 with their own eyes and no one can deny the evidence, unlike previous threads. Apparently CDPR official list of changes and the videos I posted wasn't enough proof that PS5 supports FSR 2.0, because the developer of the game might have "mislabeled stuff". Am I supposed to fight anyone who spreads FUD on the forum or what?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
who said that? never saw a single person claim this... FSR2 is a pure software based upsampler, noone with more than 2 braincells would claim that
You might want to check this thread.There are the traditionnal warriors (although some of the more ardent one are way more reasonable there) but some other are more direct stating that that the ps5 doesn't support it because sony doesn't want it for example.

Edit: Wow way too late for this discussion, i had this page opened since this morning , I didn't know it had already gone the way it has.Point is yeah some people said that, now let's move on.

Last edited:

adamsapple

If I chose this thread is just because everyone can see FSR 2.1 running on PS5 with their own eyes and no one can deny the evidence, unlike previous threads. Apparently CDPR official list of changes and the videos I posted wasn't enough proof that PS5 supports FSR 2.0, because the developer of the game might have "mislabeled stuff". Am I supposed to fight anyone who spreads FUD on the forum or what?

I can't understand why anyone would have the notion that PS5 can't do FSR 2 when they announced Forespoken will use it all the way back in May. FSR is an open source standard ..

I thought this was already well worn territory months ago ..

56DNm02.png

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
At least this is another example that shows that it can be a benefit to the finale image on console.

I remember there was some discussion about whether it would cost too much to be worth implementing on the consoles (especially for XSS).
That is stupid of course the less powerful console would benefit a lot from FSR or any dlss like technology to be fair.It is of course way less demanding using dlss/fsr than rendering native at lower res without those upscaling techniques.The benefit (if the tech stays that way which it won't but if it doesn't progress) will lessen as games will become more and more demanding though but that is true for the XSS, the XSX and the ps5 too.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I can't understand why anyone would have the notion that PS5 can't do FSR 2 when they announced Forespoken will use it all the way back in May. FSR is an open source standard ..

56DNm02.png
Some people can't understand that apparently but thank you for reminding that HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has a woodfire pizza oven.
Wound Licking GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

Edit: HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 stop laughing
robin wright film GIF

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That is stupid of course the less powerful console would benefit a lot from FSR or any dlss like technology to be fair.It is of course way less demanding using dlss/fsr than rendering native at lower res without those upscaling techniques.The benefit (if the tech stays that way which it won't but if it doesn't progress) will lessen as games will become more and more demanding though but that is true for the XSS, the XSX and the ps5 too.

FSR isn't free, it has its own cost in milliseconds per frame and this cost increases the weaker the gpu is. In some cases you might only be a few frames ahead of native, while the native would technically provide the best image. Newer architectures seem to handle it better though, so, it's good to see that it works well on the consoles.

This video goes over it some:

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
FSR isn't free, it has its own cost in milliseconds per frame and this cost increases the weaker the gpu is. In some cases you might only be a few frames ahead of native, while the native would technically provide the best image.

This video goes over it some.
Yeah native should be better or even supersampled but that dlss/fsr cost is still largely beneficial to whatever(whichever?) console.But is is always a ratio that you have to take into account because of course you would get the best perf if it were reconstructed from a 144p rez but the graphics would take too much of a hit, I think that devs will find the best ratio for their game/engine with a bit of time.It should prevent having a too big overhead.

DaGwaphics

Yeah native should be better or even supersampled but that dlss/fsr cost is still largely beneficial to whatever(whichever?) console.But is is always a ratio that you have to take into account because of course you would get the best perf if it were reconstructed from a 144p rez but the graphics would take too much of a hit, I think that devs will find the best ratio for their game/engine with a bit of time.It should prevent having a too big overhead.

That was the primary concern, that the consoles would use it to gain a few frames but that the final image would be worse. This is one of those rare instances where we get to compare the feature before and after on console and at least it proved that the final image, even in the lower rez XSS mode, was still a net gain (though it appears they lost a frame or two here and there).

Last edited:
Having played a bit after the patch my biggest gripe with FSR on Series X is at night it causes each street light to pulse bright for a brief moment as you’re driving by, and it’s actually kinda distracting. There’s other points where I can see breakdowns here and there, like bright pixels flashing in a dark corner etc but it otherwise seems an improvement over TAA.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Tbh I'd rather have basic anti aliasing techniques than a fake higher res image but with excessive ghosting, artifacts etc. Those to me are more irritating than the jaggies.

I just think these upscaling techniques always look a lot better in still screenshots but don't hold up as well in motion.

DLSS is a different story, where the improvements justify the artifacting, but this example of FSR looks poor and really only justifies itself because the TAA version of Cyberpunk already looked so terrible image quality wise.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally dont care much about FRS or whatever, what bothered me the most on my playthrough was its bugs, doest this patch fix most of the bugs?

adamsapple

I personally dont care much about FRS or whatever, what bothered me the most on my playthrough was its bugs, doest this patch fix most of the bugs?

The game has been patched a ton since launch, so it's a much more stable experience compared to launch, if not a 100% solid one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The game has been patched a ton since launch, so it's a much more stable experience compared to launch, if not a 100% solid one.
I played this on PS5 with 1.6 patch it was still very buggy experience, for example: you know how sometimes you get those effects every time Johnny appears, but for some reason those effect wouldn't go away until I reload my save and sometimes V couldn't run or jump until I reload my save, but the biggest one that bother me the most was during the cutscene when V and Takemura trying to talk to Hanako but these people come in and the floor collapses and while the floor was collapsing Takemura was stuck in walking animation and it kind of killed entire mood for me.

I can tolerate some bugs here and there but not during the important scenes like this.

Last edited:

Arioco

56DNm02.png

I think it all stems from the fact that AMD mentioned FSR 2.0 for Series consoles but they didn't say anything about PS5, which led some people to believe PS5 just doesn't supported. And maybe others didn't believe that, but they wanted to spread FUD, saw an opportunity and seized it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But leaving that aside (I just wanted to make a joke, not derail the whole thread) I will say I'm very happy to finally see FSR 2.1 on consoles, and I like the results a lot. Not that it surprised me too much because I had already seen FSR 2.0 in action in Scorn on Series X and honestly it looked fantastic, I would've believed it's native 4K if I hadn't known it uses a reconstruction technique, so FSR 2.1 could only be even better. It's very impressive what AMD has achieved without using any specific hardware or deep learning, even more so when FSR 1.0 was... a bit dissappointing to say the least. I hope The Witcher 3 will use FSR too.

sachos

The improvements are great, so easy to see even without zoom. Weird Tom called it an "AI upsclaing technique".

darrylgorn

The new 1.61 patch for Cyberpunk 2077 mostly fixes on improvements and bug fixes - but there is one big new improvement for graphics fans - the inclusion of FSR 2.1 upscaling. The game's ray tracing and performance modes do not render at native 4K, so the addition of FSR2.1 should boost image quality. But what's the difference and is there any improvement to performance? Tom has answers for you.

FSR.jpg

frustrated adam devine GIF

It's weird that people argue about this stuff. You are going off at best second hand info and everyone is talking as if they have the conviction of looking at the white papers themselves. GAF is wild.

CP2077 looks great.

Tripolygon

Banned

Maybe because this is you doing it when I pointed out that the devs said FSR 2 was coming to Forespoken for PC and PS5 you were quick to say maybe it's only for the PC version. Lol

Could very well just be for the PC version for all we know.

Ya'll need to quit with the selective memory.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Maybe because this is you doing it when I pointed out that the devs said FSR 2 was coming to Forespoken for PC and PS5 you were quick to say maybe it's only for the PC version. Lol

Ya'll need to quit with the selective memory.

Hey look another old post, one where no one confirms using FSR 2.0, just an "in development" tag.

They officially name dropped using FSR 2.0 on the game for the first time in May.

adamsapple

Yet you claim it’s only for the PC version?

I didn't "claim" anything, that post was from before anyone working on the game acknowledged it's using FSR 2.0, the March video just had "FSR 1.0" in bold letters with a small tag of "2.0 is in development" at the bottom. In May they officially cited FSR 2.0 being used in the game.

What in the ACTUAL fuck are you guys and Digital Foundry smoking?

The games looks SO MUCH WORSE after they added FSR on console! I swear to god I can't stand CD Project and Digital Foundry anymore.

I noticed the worse image quality immediately on Ps5. Have people not played this for more than 5 minutes? Anytime you're driving the road has awful artifacting. Edges shimmer when they didn't before. When it rains the IQ is at its worst.

All the classic hallmarks of bad FSR are here and somehow the consensus is that the image quality is improved?

Craziest this is it didn't even run any better after this patch, at least not on ps5.

I hadn't played this in months so I fired it up to see if CD Project cleaned up the iq months after the patch. They didn't.

Top Bottom