• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13.7m units in 2020

Roni

Gold Member
I did my part with the GOG version, even with my old PC I can run the game 2K/30 with medium settings, and I love so much the atmosphere and art design. And of course the game has its share of bugs, some gameplay issues (minimap zoom and the vehicle handling) but I find the combat and exploration loop with the skills and RPG systems good...

Probably a lot of people will dismiss CP2077 as a bad GTA clone, but for me is a incredible inmersive sim with the great storytelling of CD Projekt.
I'm on the same boat, man... I stayed away from much of the press for the game and once I started playing and noticing the similarities to Deus Ex, Dishonored and Prey I immediately fell in love. The game has so much content for those that are willing (interested?) in playing around with the different builds and etc...

It really is a game for those that enjoy tabletop RPG's and the flexibility they offer.

Last edited:

Vasili2K38

I'm on the same boat, man... I stayed away from much of the press for the game and once I started playing and noticing the similarities to Deus Ex, Dishonored and Prey I immediately fell in love. The game has so much content for those that are willing (interested?) in playing around with the different builds and etc...

It really is a game for those that enjoy tabletop RPG's and the flexibility they offer.

All those games are my all time favorites, and I love so much the genre. And indeed when you try with different builds to tackle the encounters it is very rewarding, I think they nailed to translate the tabletop RPG feeling to a FPS.

Roni

Gold Member
All those games are my all time favorites, and I love so much the genre. And indeed when you try with different builds to tackle the encounters it is very rewarding, I think they nailed to translate the tabletop RPG feeling to a FPS.
I picked up the game again after playing for 70+ hours when the game came out back in December, before any patches. I was just screwing around, learning about the perks and the builds. Didn't get very far: never really did much outside Watson...

Workload really increased for the first few months of the year and I like to sink into games like these for hours on end, so I stuck with shorter session games like Hitman 3... Things cooled off at work just in time for patch 1.2 and I started my real run on PS4 Pro.

Ended up making a stealth Solo because I wanted to play on Hard from the get go and was afraid to get massacred in the gunfights during the early game... So much fun!

GeorgPrime

Banned
I will get it again after a few more updates :) maybe i can get it on my Gaming Laptop now then i can hopefully add some mod support to it.

Last edited:

Yoboman

A lot of that success can be thanked on the quality of Witcher 3

Sinilarly they will struggle to recapture that momentum with whatever their next game is after leaving so many disappointed

harmny

Banned
Nah they must have done their math wrong lol

30k refunds. that's what they said in their conference call. 30k of 13.7M copies hahahahaha. if you wonder why CoD sells 20M copies every year even though everyone on gaf and reddit hates the game there you have your answer. internet vocal haters are NOTHING. they don't move the needle. they just cry online while everyone else is actually playing the games.

base

Banned
30k refunds. that's what they said in their conference call. 30k of 13.7M copies hahahahaha. if you wonder why CoD sells 20M copies every year even though everyone on gaf and reddit hates the game there you have your answer. internet vocal haters are NOTHING. they don't move the needle. they just cry online while everyone else is actually playing the games.
Lies, lies.. 30k pff bullshit

Flabagast

200% of 13 million? Damn!
Witcher 3 has passed 30 million and its initial sales were significantly lower. In its case it is more 300 or 400% we are talking at all.

We do not know yet if CP2077 will have any legs going forwards, but if CDPR manages to turn the wheel around it is definitely achievable.

^This is very true

But the vocal gamers online are responsible for some of the big actions made by these companies like when Xbox reversed the decision to increase the price of Xbox live or when Sony was going to get rid of the ps3 and ps vita stores.

I think that what CDPR did with Cyberpunk was a straight scam. They made the game seems bigger than it really ended up being and then lied about the performance of the game on current gen and used reviewers to help push the lie. They are going to have to work overtime to regain the trust they loss.

They might have made profits from cyberpunk but it’s going to be a uphill battle for them going forward.

Last edited:

base

Banned
sue them. they are a publicly traded company they can't lie about their numbers.
This game is not playable on the last gen consoles. They sold millions of copies on the consoles. Were people that stupid to play it in 10 fps with so many glitches then?

harmny

Banned
^This is very true

But the vocal gamers online are responsible for some of the big actions made by these companies like when Xbox reversed the decision to increase the price of Xbox live or when Sony was going to get rid of the ps3 and ps vita stores.

I think that what CDPR did with Cyberpunk was a straight scam. They made the game seems bigger than it really ended up being and then lied about the performance of the game on current gen and used reviewers to help push the lie. They are going to have to work overtime to regain the trust they loss.

true. but you are missing an important part there.

people talk about how it was a scam, a lie but they forget to mention they offered refunds to every single human being that wasn't happy with the game (even people that already beat the game) and just 30k refunded it. that means that the other 13.670.000 players didn't think it was that big of a deal. either they were happy with the game or at least the issue was not serious enough to ask for their money back.

usually when you get scammed you don't have the possibility to get your money back... or the actual "scammer" offering you a no questions asked refund lol

Last edited:
Total budget 1.3bn PLN to make ($340m)
CJHQuyl.png
+10000 bugs and glitches.

Mozzarella

I just hope this can improve GOG store because its really good. Also looking forward for the DLCs, despites its many problems i had fun with my time. But as others said this early success is thanks to their reputation from Witcher 3.

Roni

Gold Member
So magnificent it's banned on PSN...

There's no way that 30k refund number is true either
Do you even care why it's not on PSN or would you rather just use the fact in isolation to help comfort yourself?

And, as stated: there's a lot of money to be made if you think they're lying about the 30k refunds. Fiduciary duty and all that... Put the money where your mouth is.

Last edited:
And yet I can‘t buy it on PSN. What a joke gamers are. As a company, as long as you push enough PR before any release, you‘ll make millions, because gamers are too stupid and fragile to boycott anything, no matter how bad the endproduct turns out to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

harmny

Banned
This game is not playable on the last gen consoles. They sold millions of copies on the consoles. Were people that stupid to play it in 10 fps with so many glitches then?

stupid? no. i'd say happy enough with the game to not ask for refund.

Are you one of their employees or what? They have lied about the game's performance. "it worked fine when we tested it". FUCK THEM

those are not numbers. see how i said they can't lie about numbers. however, they got sued for that statement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Whenever I get the urge to take a dump on the greedy corporations hell bent on destroying this industry, news like this come out and remind me why the consumers are just as guilty and the urge goes away.

JayK47

Impressive considering all of the hate the game was getting. I had issues with it, but most of it was due to high expectations going into it. I do wish it was better, but I also did get enjoyment from it until the lame ending. I rarely play games right when they come out, so it was fun to be able to enjoy the game alongside others and discuss it rather than posting about it years after everybody else is done playing it, which is how I usually roll.

Eric187

Banned
So magnificent it's banned on PSN...

There's no way that 30k refund number is true either
Nah man it’s definitely a good game. I was, and still am disappointed by the total package but that’s mainly to the hype that preceded it but was definitely IMO one of the best games last year. With that said I’m playing on a PS5 after initially playing on a PS4 pro. Had they waited a year and released it this November instead of last december would of been in a much better state though. Hopefully they’ve learned that lesson.

TheMan

No doubt the initial sales out of the gate were phenomenal. I'm more interested in what the tail looks like. Also will be interesting to see how they next game does. I personally had a good time with the PC version but all things considered i think CDPR massively fucked themselves going forward.

Last edited:

base

Banned
delusional haters thinking cdpr a publicly traded company is lying about refund numbers on a financial report :messenger_tears_of_joy:

facing reality is though
Why are you so happy about? They have literally lied about the game and have fucked their customers in the ass. Such behavior should be punishable. Now they don't give a fuck about fixing their own game cause 'hey, we sold alot of them to you, losers'.

harmny

Banned
Why are you so happy about? They have literally lied about the game and have fucked their customers in the ass. Such behavior should be punishable. Now they don't give a fuck about fixing their own game cause 'hey, we sold alot of them to you, losers'.

how is offering a refund no questions asked even to people that beat the game fucking their customers in the ass? and they do give a fuck about fixing their own game that's why they are well... fixing the game

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
delusional haters thinking cdpr a publicly traded company is lying about refund numbers on a financial report :messenger_tears_of_joy:

facing reality is though
such a cdpr fanboy/stooge. i hope they're paying you - what a sad existence you'd be living if you were doing this for free or, even worse, if you actually believed the bullshit you post. have a day off.

Last edited:
everytime i think about getting it, i read up on it...and get turned off by ppl complaining about braindead open world A.I, NPCs, Cops and just a boring open world in general. Which is one of the main reasons i wanted to get it.

Top Bottom