• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13.7m units in 2020

Eric187

Banned
such a cdpr fanboy/stooge. i hope they're paying you - what a sad existence you'd be living if you were doing this for free or, even worse, if you actually believed the bullshit you post. have a day off.
Did you even play the game?

Metnut

Will be at least 13,700,001 sold once the PS5 version comes out. I’d like to give a shout out to all the beta testers making sure I get a clean experience when I dive in.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Total budget 1.3bn PLN to make ($340m)
CJHQuyl.png
100 billion glitches is missing.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Great game! There's some sketchy people running CDPR though.

I played it on a high-end PC and the gameplay experience was pretty top-notch... with the gigantic caveat of performance issues galore and frequent bugs. That being said, I really enjoyed my time with it. I'm itching to replay it, but I'm holding off till DLCs and some more bugfixes come through. My first playthrough lasted 120hrs.

It's a shame what happened with the last-gen consoles. People really got screwed on that end. They really didn't have any business trying to get this running on last-gen hardware tbh. I guess the greedy executives + stakeholders just couldn't pass up that large of a user base. They did the right thing offering full refunds, but it never should have got to that point.

I hope they take this massive profit and use it to make good on the all promises they made. The funds should go straight to development, upper management and executives be damned. It would be amazing if they could pull off a comeback like No Man's Sky.

Last edited:

lucius

It’s not that impressive considering if they were on point the sky was limit for how much almost everyone wanted this to be the next big thing, maybe not GTA5 level but Witcher 3 level for sure. The shitshow they created won’t help it as a franchise, but there are some really good things about it at least.

I grabbed a PS4 copy last month. I won't have time to play it until the summer but I saw it priced at 40$ new and was more than happy to support CDPR at that price. I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

So The Witcher 3 sold over 30 million on all consoles and PC over 5-6 years with massive DLC's, tons of marketing, and tons of discounts (it's been like 10--20 bucks for the last few years).

Animal Crossing sold 31 million in 9 months at full price on one console.

Fucking nuts.
One is Nintendo, one of the oldest, prestigious and known developer in the world, the other is CDP Red which bacame one of the most important RPG studios with just an handful of games developed in total.

Dabaus

Banned
17 percent from Xbox for a game that was heavily associated with them from marketing and Sony pulling from their store is pretty abysmal in my opinion. Maybe there’s a big crossover between Xbox and pc owners and they opted to go with pc over Xbox? I wonder what the PS4 sales would look like if Sony didn’t pull the game, which in my opinion was a rash and impulsive move.

Last edited:

Hestar69

THAT many developers and the game came out that buggy and shit??!?!. I bought day 1 on ps4 to play on my pro and it ran god awful. I s aw someone play it today and it's still a mess. Maybe in a year or so it'll be playable and ill pick it up for 20.

Last edited:
not hater, realist. Hell I'm sketchy as fuck for their next game because they shipped a broken mess, remember when people were comparing CD to rockstar, ND etc.....I love Cd and witcher 3, cyberpunk was a slap in the face to gamers in general and stuff like this shouldnt be celebrated. I only hope their next game on launch in phenomenal
Their single mistake was to release a last gen version. The game clearly wasn't built for Jaguar CPUs, yet they had to make it happen because of profits. If they learn from their mistake they're gonna be fine.

SnapShot

And just like that gamers will forgive them and act like nothing happened lol, they're the reason the game industry is the way it is now. Eh nothing worth losing sleep over, game was alright.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Their single mistake was to release a last gen version. The game clearly wasn't built for Jaguar CPUs, yet they had to make it happen because of profits. If they learn from their mistake they're
Cyberpunk project started with PS4/X1 in mind and they had experienced making games for those systems before. Are you telling me half way through the development they suddenly realized those system were too weak for their game!?

From my perspective and seeing how broken the final game was, this much more to do with bad management rather than console's power getting in the way.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Pre-ordered, played with RT on, had a blast.

I would love to say the game was a success based on my experience but, there is no denying, CDPR lost a lot of credit with the community by misleading fans and launching the game in such a horrible state on consoles, especially the last gen. I wish they had the balls to cancel the last gen version, since the game obviously wouldn't run well on those machines. This is clearly a next gen title being force to run on obsolete hardware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cyberpunk project started with PS4/X1 in mind and they had experienced making games for those systems before. Are you telling me half way through the development they suddenly realized those system were too weak for their game!?

From my perspective and seeing how broken the final game was, this much more to do with bad management rather than console's power getting in the way.
If rumours are true, supposedly CDPR scrapped early dev and started over in 2016 with next gen in mind. No idea if thats actually true.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
since the game obviously wouldn't run well on those machines.
I'm sorry but that's complete BS, if game like RDR 2 possible on PS4/X1 then so is Cyberpunk. You guys can't keep blaming console's power for CDPR's own screw up.

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn, imagine how well the game would do if it wasn't for all the surrounding shitshow... But I recon they'll hit 20-25M by the end of the year once they fully patch the game, release the next-gen update, and start dropping those free DLCs.

reksveks

Yeah, 30k games being refunded if it includes all the refunds, shows how out of touch gaming twitter/NeoGAF is in comparison to the wider market.

Seen someone else say it looks to be closer to 500k. If so, I wonder what the company and consumers thinks of that?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Still unplayable.

Fun thing is that I played this game day one for like ~2h and didn't encounter any major bug (aside few visual glitches).

But I agree about base consoles, it's dogshit on X1 and bad on PS4, much better on X1X (GTA5 PS3 perf level) and close to ok on Pro.

assurdum

Banned
17 percent from Xbox for a game that was heavily associated with them from marketing and Sony pulling from their store is pretty abysmal in my opinion. Maybe there’s a big crossover between Xbox and pc owners and they opted to go with pc over Xbox? I wonder what the PS4 sales would look like if Sony didn’t pull the game, which in my opinion was a rash and impulsive move.
Just to say, all Xbox consoles have higher graphic setting in this game (yes Xbox one base too) and people has the courage to say it's the evil Sony who can ask for inferior port when there are exclusive deals.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
In the end they proved their move was right: release the game no matter what to make profit and then fix the bugs is a smarter idea than fix all the bugs and spend another year with no profits and tons of dollars wasted in further development.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
not hater, realist. Hell I'm sketchy as fuck for their next game because they shipped a broken mess, remember when people were comparing CD to rockstar, ND etc.....I love Cd and witcher 3, cyberpunk was a slap in the face to gamers in general and stuff like this shouldnt be celebrated. I only hope their next game on launch in phenomenal
It likely was only a broken mess because they had to waste resources porting it to inferior hardware. The PC version was / is as glitchy as a Fallout /TES / Assassins Creed game but overall it is playable. Porting that to something that was underpowered in 2013 was something they never should have shot for. That was a mistake. It would have been a bigger mistake if they targeted that old HW and didn't serve their biggest market with something that looks great.

PC gamers will get the next CDPR game without question. Maybe the PS4/Xbone gamers will realize that when people keep touting how well the PC version looked and ran and eventually how well the next gen one does that specs actually matter.

Raphael

I'm sorry but that's complete BS, if game like RDR 2 possible on PS4/X1 then so is Cyberpunk. You guys can't keep blaming console's power for CDPR's own screw up.
Thing is rdr2 can be this beautiful because there is just not that much on screen. Performance was still not great on ps4! In cyberpunk you are around huge vertical and multi layered structures, you can not expect a similar effect between the two as there is so much more polygons on screen at once.
Rockstar did an amazing job and rdr2 is among my goats but they are a much bigger studio than cdpr was during cyberpunk production and you shouldnt expect Rockstar levels from them (just yet).
But Yes, ofcouse they could have done a much better job on last gen, even with difficulties that they face. Its a shame but im sure they will manage to get it to a decent level. I heard froma friend its already there but dont know whats the current consensus.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
If rumours are true, supposedly CDPR scrapped early dev and started over in 2016 with next gen in mind. No idea if thats actually true.

kind of. i wouldn't say it's a rumour because cdpr actually said what happened. the thing is they didn't scrap early dev in 2016 to make a next gen game. what happened was that the game was never in development in the first place. cdpr is not rockstar or ubisoft they had just one development team and when cp was announced in 2012 they were a really small company. people forget that they had just released tw2 and they were around 100 people. nobody knew who cdpr was.

so all that period between 2012 and 2016 had the entire team working on tw3 with a small team prototyping and researching what cp could be. so in 2016 when they finished the last witcher 3 expansion the entire team moved on to cyberpunk and that's when the real development of the game started. not only that but tw3 was a huge success so that really impacted cyberpunk's development. if you had a couple of design ideas or prototypes but in the meantime you release one of the best games of the generation of course you are going to scrap a lot of things and say hey let's do this and that just like the witcher 3 because people absolutely love that game.

that's why when you hear people saying cp had 8 years of development they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

and about the next gen thing. they are pc developers first so they develop the game for pc and then scale it down for consoles and well they were clearly too optimistic there. think about other studios that develop their games for consoles first and then make a pc port that sucks. cdpr did the opposite :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
If I have the time line right, remember when looking at the numbers that they basically sold 13m in the first month and then the rest since so this game was largely bought before release or in the first two weeks.

Yes but these are financial results for 2020. So this is not taking into account sales from 2021.

So the first two weeks as you say are basically from release to the end of 2020 because the game was released on December 10

I thought the game was very fun. I put about 65 hours into it on PC. I thought Night City itself was probably the best designed city in a videogame full stop.

It wasn't the game I thought it was gonna be and on starting a second playthrough I realized that it doesn't exactly have the branching narrative that was implied so I put it down.

When/If I can get my hands on a 3080ti I'll replay it again. I had a pretty bug free and good experience on my 1080ti. Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game of all time(been a fan since the first game) so I expected more from CDPR, but it wasn't the shit show on PC that it was on consoles.

Top Bottom