• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 with NVIDIA DLSS 3 & Ray Tracing: Overdrive

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Experience Cyberpunk 2077 like never before with incredible visuals of Night City enhanced by the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode & up to 4X performance increase with NVIDIA DLSS 3. Coming Soon

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure RPG set in the dark future of Night City — a dangerous megalopolis obsessed with power, glamor, and ceaseless body modification.

Cryio

Better visuals for the game? Sure, why not.

DLLS3? A scam. RTX 4000 is barely faster than RTX 3000. It's also DLSS2 + interpolation. Who the fuck even uses the Performance Preset, lmao. It's ghosting city.

Mister Wolf

I probably wont use RT Overdrive mode but it will be nice being able to put the original lighting to Psycho. Hopefully I can snag a 4090.

I hope AMD develops a frame interpolation option if it works well. FSR works fine without dedicated hardware, I reckon interpolation would too.

UnNamed

Banned
Well, a full use of Raytracing in a game, replacing every fake shadow, light, reflection with a single raytrace algorithm is something very powerful. We only see that in demos, this is the first time we see this in a commercial game. Even that Lego game was a mix IIRC.

Shtef

I am really confused about DLSS. From what I have seen on screenshots looks even better than native resolution, but when I try it on my PC I can notice that somehow image looks worse than native (I tried balance and quality modes), not much but its still noticeable. Is there anything I am missing? Do I have to adjust sharpening or something?

Ironbunny

I am really confused about DLSS. From what I have seen on screenshots looks even better than native resolution, but when I try it on my PC I can notice that somehow image looks worse than native (I tried balance and quality modes), not much but its still noticeable. Is there anything I am missing? Do I have to adjust sharpening or something?

Why would it look better when its upscaled from lower resolution? In motion you can still spot the artifacts but its getting better. Its not what native is though.

Chukhopops

Looks incredible imo, especially coming from the console version in Performance Mode.

Not buying an expensive card for that but in 2-3 years it can be doable on a midrange PC.

Tangerine

AMD shill confirmed.

Thou shalt not discredit or disregard DLSS, you heathen!

Banned

DLSS is not better than native. DLSS is >often< better than Native + TAA, because many games have TAA that smears the image and has more artifacts than using DLSS.

also still images aren't good comparisons for DLSS, it's the temporal stability during motions that's the weakness of both DLSS and TAA

winjer

Gold Member

What games did you try it on? And what version of DLSS did you use.

DLSS 1 is really bad, such as used in Metro Exodus and Battlefield V.
DLSS 2.0 improves this a lot, but it still has problems with image quality.
But today, with DLSS 4.3.6, it's very good. And the best thing is that you can change the DLL for DLSS 2.x used in each game, to a better version.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm sure Alex will do his very best at showing us all the lighting accuracies under a microscope, but if this is what Nvidia is planning to show to convince people of their ridiculous RTX40 prices then they're in for a bad time.

What games did you try it on? And what version of DLSS did you use.

DLSS 1 is really bad, such as used in Metro Exodus and Battlefield V.
DLSS 2.0 improves this a lot, but it still has problems with image quality.
But today, with DLSS 4.3.6, it's very good. And the best thing is that you can change the DLL for DLSS 2.x used in each game, to a better version.

Hmmmmmm...

GymWolf

Why would it look better when its upscaled from lower resolution? In motion you can still spot the artifacts but its getting better. Its not what native is though.
Pretty much, never played anything were dlss was actually better than native, even on quality you have artifacts amd shit.

GymWolf

With the original dll, that game has a ton of ghosting.
Try it with 2.4.6

How does that link work? Is it easy to install?

And is it just for cyberpunk or it's gonna overwrite the old dlss in all the games?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Ray-tracing effects are pushed very, very high, with the upcoming patch.
It still stands though, it’s not impressive to simply turn everything on and hope that your hardware can Cope. Not saying its lazy by any stretch but the focus on these games and engines has to shift to optimisation, perhaps the engine is just too old and archaic to dev for at this point But considering this game is the only game to max out top end hardware and restrict even 4090 cards to 30fps i have to point the finger at the optimization.

Sooner CDPR are on UE5 the better.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah it's more advanced Metro EE approach, where I want to point out, that Metro could do it at 60FPS on consoles. Not that I cannot wait for my 4090, but its brute force vs advanced Ukrainian brain making it possible on consoles.

Banned
Yeah it's more advanced Metro EE approach, where I want to point out, that Metro could do it at 60FPS on consoles. Not that I cannot wait for my 4090, but its brute force vs advanced Ukrainian brain making it possible on consoles.

Metro's RT effects were not even remotely comparable to this, metro on console didn't even have RT reflections.

Cyberpunk in the current version has more impressive RT than Metro, and this overdrive mode is by far the most extreme RT implementation of any game yet

TrebleShot

RT overdrive = almost the entire game is raytraced my guy... with multiple reflection bounces etc.
maybe don't talk about shit you have no idea about
I think I will.
Couldnt give a rats ass what it cranks up, but donkeys gonna eat that carrot.

winjer

Gold Member
How does that link work? Is it easy to install?

And is it just for cyberpunk or it's gonna overwrite the old dlss in all the games?

Download the version 2.4.6, this is the best one so far for most games. 4.2.12 kinda sucks.
Extract the dll inside. Go to the game folder and replace the old nvngx_dlss.dll with the new one.

This will work with almost every game. But some games have DRM that prevents this, and change the dll back. Such as RDR2 and Diablo 2 Remastered.

winjer

Gold Member
It still stands though, it’s not impressive to simply turn everything on and hope that your hardware can Cope. Not saying its lazy by any stretch but the focus on these games and engines has to shift to optimisation, perhaps the engine is just too old and archaic to dev for at this point But considering this game is the only game to max out top end hardware and restrict even 4090 cards to 30fps i have to point the finger at the optimization.

Pushing settings to unreasonable limits is a tactic used by nvidia for many years now.
I don't know if you remember the celeuma about Cyrysis 3 tessellation. This is just a repeat.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Metro's RT effects were not even remotely comparable to this, metro on console didn't even have RT reflections.

Cyberpunk in the current version has more impressive RT than Metro, and this overdrive mode is by far the most extreme RT implementation of any game yet
I am saying that the principe is the same, that it's full-RT path. Just needing far more oomph. As far as I know, Metro was like that when it came out and it also needed the best PC HW. I mean specifically the version 1.x not EE.

The game wouldn't run better on UE5. The RT is super heavy, it would run at 2 fps on consoles so you can't expect 60 fps on PC.

Banned
I think I will.
Couldnt give a rats ass what it cranks up, but donkeys gonna eat that carrot.

what exactly is your argument here? what are you doing in this thread and what exactly is in your opinion the issue with this graphics mode?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Injecting Cyberpunk 2077 into UE5 as is, with the same level of Raytracing would still cripple every system available at 4K.

UE5 isnt some magic bullet that will increase frame rates or whatever.
Even with Lumen in 5.1 its still super heavy and not as good looking as the CP2077 implementation of Raytracing.

UE5s real advantage is actually Nanite, Lumen is costly for the GI and Virtual Shadows.
Lumen reflections still arent "great" compared to other implementations.
We are literally waiting for the likely Unreal Engine 5.2 to get lumen reflections to a level playing field with even earlier DXR implementation.
Their GI is good but as I said, its still super expensive.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So are gaming benchmarks going to start to come with a cost per watt now? Lol I would love to see that information now that we have these high watt cpu and gpus.

Quezacolt

Some people come to this thread, with no idea how much a fully raytraced game pushes top gpu's and they get mad that a 4090 can't go past 30fps without dlss.

People explain to them why it is, and they still ignore it.

This baffles me.

Anyway, im waiting to see videos comparing, i remember how much of a difference the Ehanched edition of metro exodus was with it's new raytraced lighting, compared to the old version, and cyberpunk it's supposed to go even beyond that.

On 1440p resolution.

I think at 1440p anything under DLSS Quality is rendering below 1080p, which is likely the issue. On the 4K display I use, Quality is always preferable (around 1440p base) but Balanced is the minimum I'll use as it has a 1080p base I think, and while it looks noticeably worse than native - it's good enough for the performance boost. Everything else is naff. I just don't think there's enough information below 1080p for the algorithm to generate a pleasing enough image

Some people come to this thread, with no idea how much a fully raytraced game pushes top gpu's and they get mad that a 4090 can't go past 30fps without dlss.

This baffles me.

Anyway, im waiting to see videos comparing, i remember how much of a difference the Ehanched edition of metro exodus was with it's new raytraced lighting, compared to the old version, and cyberpunk it's supposed to go even beyond that.

Haven't Nvidia been trying to push this RT BS for the past 2 Generations now about to be a 3rd. You'd expect them to have nailed it by now.

timothet

This baffles me.

A while ago I had similar discussion about raytracing. One guy was adamant about not seeing difference between SSR and Raytraced reflections. Also, one of his arguments about RT being useless gimmic was "We had mirrors in games before RT".

Some people just choose to stay ignorant and no amount of evidence will change their mind.

I think at 1440p anything under DLSS Quality is rendering below 1080p, which is likely the issue. On the 4K display I use, Quality is always preferable (around 1440p base) but Balanced is the minimum I'll use as it has a 1080p base I think, and while it looks noticeably worse than native - it's good enough for the performance boost. Everything else is naff. I just don't think there's enough information below 1080p for the algorithm to generate a pleasing enough image
DLSS perf @4K is 1080p. It looks way better than any other upscaling tech with least issues.

Top Bottom