• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners — NSFW Trailer | Netflix

Draugoth

Gold Member

kx5p5kk25wk91.jpg

Don’t watch this at work. Don’t go Cyberpsycho. See you September 13. ABOUT CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS The series tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in Night City — a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he stays alive by becoming an edgerunner — a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk. CD PROJEKT RED, the company behind the Cyberpunk 2077 video game, is producing the series with Rafał Jaki (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher: Ronin) as Showrunner and Executive Producer, with Satoru Homma, Bartosz Sztybor and Saya Elder serving as producers. The team at CD PROJEKT RED has been working on this new series since 2018. Acclaimed Japan-based animation company, Studio Trigger, will serve as the animation studio on the series and bring the world of Cyberpunk to life with their signature, vibrant style. Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare) will direct the series along with creative director Hiromi Wakabayashi (Kill la Kill), character designer and animation director Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia, BNA: Brand New Animal), and the adapted screenplay by Yoshiki Usa (GRIDMAN UNIVERSE series, Promare) and Masahiko Otsuka (Star Wars: Visions ‘The Elder’). The original score will be composed by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series).

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Kill La Kill was fantastic, i hope this one lives up to it.
Netflix (obviously the french studio deserves the credit) did well with Arcane, i wonder how will this one compare.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I hope it's better than that piece of shit Blade Runner anime... and 2049.
I already have Deus Ex and Shadowrun for my Cyberpunk RPG gaming goodness.

op22

Looks really good, but is it really only in jap?
It's in English. Dark and edgy too. D's age looks to be about half of what I thought V's was. Other than that pretty good so far.

XlqJRvF.png

3LxaHf0.png

37K4dKW.png

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Watched 3 episodes and really enjoying it. I started out subbed but there is too much slang early on and switched to dubbed.

I hope the people wanting an English dub don't get it lol. Learn to appreciate the original presentation. Anything dubbed never delivers the same emotional intention.
Not gonna say that I love english dubs but man, japanese anime voice acting is always extremely cringey to me. Makes me annoyed, I've tried to appreciate that stuff for 25 years but I just can't.

I hope the people wanting an English dub don't get it lol. Learn to appreciate the original presentation. Anything dubbed never delivers the same emotional intention.
I agree for everything except DBZ, I much prefer the English voice acting. Goku is wayyy too high pitched (every other character is good though). Too bad the English versions got butchered with censorship.

Justin9mm

Learn to mind your business and let people enjoy stuff how they like, some people work hard and wanna relax after a long day and watch something without reading a bunch of subtitles
It's my opinion and you have yours.

But judging from your comment and reaction, it just goes to show how narrow minded you are!

Last edited:

kondorBonk

First few episodes in, I'm super impressed. The animation quality was always going to be top notch with Studio Trigger but they have been picking some boring narratives lately. Luckily this was not the case.

Jokes about the jank of the game aside, they captured they world aesthetic perfectly. It doesn't feel like a fan service slideshow of locations that are in the game, everything is incredibly organic and feels very grounded. The lingo/culture having already played/experienced it felt like viewing a very familiar world where you know the rules and the different factions that exist in that world. The first episode also does a great job of highlighting key Cyberpunk themes really well with everything going to shit as soon as you lose income.

- Rent subscription Frozen, electronically locked.
- Washing machine subscription frozen, locked
- Ambulance arrives on seen. "Not a customer. Ignore"
- Surgery "Successful surgery but since your not on our medical plan we didn't keep up with post op medication"

The Story so far I have to say I'm also really enjoying. Anime trope of having a high-school aged protagonist might be a turn off to some but I like seeing that side of Night City as well. A person a little more sheltered who becomes increasingly ,more corrupt although that corruptness is really the everyday norm for that world. To be blunt, I think it's so far a much more engaging story that the main story of the game.

Animation, again top notch as one of the better japanese animation studios. There was one interesting segment where the subtitles began to be hard baked into the animation. A mix of visual effects like the holographic text to speech calls over someones head in game. Normally even if something is written out in animation, even in English, as long as it's being spoken there will still be subtitles for no reason. That wasn't the case and that segment flowed in a nice way and was something I don't really think I ever see.

Anyway, a few episodes in and I look forward to the rest. It does make me want to play Cyberpunk more and even more so makes me want to see that world expanded/more realized. Hopefully CD Project Red is honest in their commitment to it as a franchise. A rocky start but so much potential.

Mojo1990

From what has been shown of the series in the trailer thus far I'm put off from the excessive depictions of mutilation. To describe it as unsettling would be an understatement. The human form aught to be regarded with care. What is being depicted is vulgar and inhumane to the point where I suspect it might very well be deliberate. I find it difficult to emerse myself in such a dystopian vision of the world for had this been reality I question how such a society would even sustain itself passed a generation. I worry that people fantasize over this predicament.

I have little tolerance for mindless gore spectacle. I just hope it serves to warn people regarding the ever encroaching danger of body modification and the deceit behind the false promises that lie in wait by those proponents of trans-human ideology.

Last edited:

Three

You're right but does reading translated text deliver better emotional intention? I'm not so sure.

Irobot82

Cyberpsychosis seems to be a major thread in the anime, the more chrome you wear, the more likely you are to go all gonked out. I think I am pretty far into the game, but the game never really seems to mention it other than your side mission from that fixer. You yourself and be fully decked out and suffer no consequences. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Justin9mm

You're right but does reading translated text deliver better emotional intention? I'm not so sure.
The emotion and conversation language comes from the voice acting. I grew up watching foreign movies and tv shows from all around the world and I can read subtitles and watch what is going on at the same time. People that don't watch much foreign content won't be able to do that so easily or truly understand the difference. People can do what they want but with voice dubs, the conversation and language does not come across the same way and it's not conveyed the same.

I know what I'm talking about and all these comments from people commenting against me have no fucking clue.

Hugare

Cyberpsychosis seems to be a major thread in the anime, the more chrome you wear, the more likely you are to go all gonked out. I think I am pretty far into the game, but the game never really seems to mention it other than your side mission from that fixer. You yourself and be fully decked out and suffer no consequences. Seems like a missed opportunity.
The main character in the game, V, doesn't suffer from it for 2 reasons, i think:

* The chip in his head is able to regenerate his brain (the reason why he survives a shot in the head).
* V has a limited time to live, and cyberpsychosis takes some time for the symptons to show up.

But during the game you see many cases of cyberpsychosis despite the sidequest (in logs to read, television and etc., not actual gameplay)

Due to the limited runtime, the series had to pick one subject to focus on and that was cyberpsychosis, while the game tried to go big with a much more ambitious story

I preffer the anime approach. The better parts of Cyberpunk were the calm ones with Judy, Panam, River, Kerry and etc.

Last edited:

Three

The emotion and conversation language comes from the voice acting. I grew up watching foreign movies and tv shows from all around the world and I can read subtitles and watch what is going on at the same time. People that don't watch much foreign content won't be able to do that so easily or truly understand the difference. People can do what they want but with voice dubs, the conversation and language does not come across the same way and it's not conveyed the same.

I know what I'm talking about and all these comments from people commenting against me have no fucking clue.
Not doubting that but I think with a good dub a person can pick up on that emotion and convey it in another language. It's only poor quality dubs that fail to do this. The bigger issue for me is that the animations don't match the sound though and I hate that. It's especially bad for non-anime or non-CGI media because they almost mute the sound entirely to replace the voices so you almost get no ambient sound effects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom