• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk quest director Pawel Sasko explains why there are no police chases

tusharngf

The ship has sailed for this game. Better start working on witcher 4. That might bring back some goodwill to the company and shareholders.

supernova8

Banned
I was watching it thinking the first guy was just a Youtuber but ... oh right that's actually the CDPR guy.. what a mess no wonder it ended up like it is.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
he should've just ignored that question lmao. You know you don't have an excuse and yet you still try to justify it...the game needs anything but bad press now.

Dorohedoro

For real, I love the story of the Witcher 3 but the gameplay was mediocre and even the last 3 assassin's Creed games have better open worlds.
I mean they should considering those games came out years later and had way bigger dev teams.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

SJFLG78.gif

Kupfer

Sasko says it was a combination of the technical limitations of the engine, and not enough time to make it work before release, so it was something that they eventually just gave up on

You can see how it would have turned out if they had implemented it in the racing side quests. One look in the rearview mirror or the minimap: You can see opponents crashing, getting stuck, and teleporting right behind you onto the track every 5 seconds. Chasing only worked in the scripted missions.

Flabagast

Yes and no the reality is that many of the witcher 3 veterans left the project when it was rebooted mid development.

You can thank Adam Badowski the CEO for that one so the team that ended up finishing cyberpunk was not the same team that completed the witcher 3.
This is simply not true.

Most of the leads on CP77 were the same leads on Wicher 3. Just watch the credits.

DarkestHour

Banned
I can see how it would be hard. You have all these random cars on the streets with lots of random people on the sides to deal with. It’s hard enough for the player to drive down the road let alone having an ai do it without stoping every 10 ft.

Yet Grand Theft Auto games have been doing it for how long now? It's OK though, I think police chases are dumb and the cops shouldn't just magically show up to get you.

Iamborghini

He could have just said 'It's a futuristic game with a lot surveillance with cameras and satellites all other the place and you cannot realistically escape, so we simply decided to let you play and escape instead.'

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The second part of the clip that got caught off does get into an actual explanation of why they didn’t have a police chase system. Sasko says it was a combination of the technical limitations of the engine, and not enough time to make it work before release, so it was something that they eventually just gave up on, which is how we got the current system which teleports police to you, and never has gangs chase you down outside of the little clusters you can provoke on the map.
Unbelievable. A gaming employee admitting sketchy workmanship in their game after only 1 year.

Typically, they all shut their mouths and dont say anything bad about their games until a game site does a retrospective on a game from 10 years ago.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I mean they should considering those games came out years later and had way bigger dev teams.
Breath of the wild also has a better open world and was developed for the Wii u at the time the Witcher 3 was being developed. Fallout 4 also has a better open world and was released the same year.

Cdpr is amazing at some things and mediocre at others like every developer out there, not shaming then, just don't understand why they were so overrated. Maybe because they had a fantastic pr department.

TheStam

I think the game is pretty good, I'm waiting to do a new play through once some major DLCs arrive.... but what is going on there? Felt like CDPR churned out free and massive paid DLCs quite quickly. for The Witcher 3, I get the covid difficulties and all, but still.. I wonder how much content and improvements we can actually expect with this game or if they've moved on to the next game.

sertopico

Sasko was clearly pissed cause of that user on twitch spamming the question about the chases over and over, but he simply shouldn't have answered him and most importantly he should have avoided those silly comparisons that made the whole thing look even more grotesque. It's obvious some of the game's dynamics weren't ready when it came out. Pointing that out after one year and this coming from a team member is quite the false move. But I bellieve the game will redeem itself next year.

They really need to overhaul the game badly.

It's such a wonderfully well realized city that is very unique and fun to explore, but the systems at play altogether just don't help sell the city like it should. It'd be a waste to let such a well designed city go to waste.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo police not giving a fuck and only shooting at you when they happen to be near the player would fit the dystopian style of the game.
Gangs however should hunt you down in their hood quite fiercely. And remember you doing shit, so you will have to avoid certain blocks. ahh so many possibilities with this game.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I know they had to release it because they were bleeding money, GOG storefront in shambles, etc etc but it’s so unfortunate they couldn’t have delayed it another few years. This game had so much potential, and the dev team got overwhelmed with it by deadlines set by the suits.

GloveSlap

The warping police is probably the number one issue making me continue to wait for more patches before i play. Not sure how much they are even planning to fix, or how much stuff they can fix without breaking saves/etc. though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What? LOL, sonic. I can just picture the random animal with lights and sirens chasing sonic, maybe a cheetah?

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
To be fair, whether or not it lives up to the genre, Cyberpunk is supposed to be an open-world RPG.

The examples he used were stupid -- because those aren't even in the same genre.

The counter-examples mentioned in the video / this thread (Watch Dogs, Saints Row, etc.) are also stupid. Those are all open-world action games built atop the GTA formula, which has the wanted system is one of its core gameplay mechanics.

But if we start looking at games in the same supposed genre, you realize that, actually, none of them have anything resembling a wanted system or a police-chase mechanic.
  • Guards don't chase you on horseback through the Skyrim wilderness
  • The brotherhood, NCR, etc. don't chase you through the wasteland in Fallout games
  • None of the private military / private police in The Outer Worlds chase you
  • No wanted system or chases in Deus Ex (the closest game in setting / ambition to CP)
  • Etc. etc.
I literally can't think of a single open-world RPG that has a proper wanted system / police chase mechanic that doesn't just magically end and reset when you move like 30 feet away.

The closest any of these games have to something like a wanted system is faction / affinity systems where you can piss groups off and make them auto-aggro you. But that's not at all the same thing as actual "police chases" where the AI will work together and track you to the ends of the fucking map.

Ovek

7Member7
To be fair, whether or not it lives up to the genre, Cyberpunk is supposed to be an open-world RPG.

The examples he used were stupid -- because those aren't even in the same genre.

The counter-examples mentioned in the video / this thread (Watch Dogs, Saints Row, etc.) are also stupid. Those are all open-world action games built atop the GTA formula, which has the wanted system is one of its core gameplay mechanics.

But if we start looking at games in the same supposed genre, you realize that, actually, none of them have anything resembling a wanted system or a police-chase mechanic.
  • Guards don't chase you on horseback through the Skyrim wilderness
  • The brotherhood, NCR, etc. don't chase you through the wasteland in Fallout games
  • None of the private military / private police in The Outer Worlds chase you
  • No wanted system or chases in Deus Ex (the closest game in setting / ambition to CP)
  • Etc. etc.
I literally can't think of a single open-world RPG that has a proper wanted system / police chase mechanic that doesn't just magically end and reset when you move like 30 feet away.

The closest any of these games have to something like a wanted system is faction / affinity systems where you can piss groups off and make them auto-aggro you. But that's not at all the same thing as actual "police chases" where the AI will work together and track you to the ends of the fucking map.

That's all well and good but Cyberpunk isn't a RPG... even CDPR admits that.

Rh0drnz.png

Well that's the problem IMO. Instead of making a single player RPG like Deus Ex (or Witcher if you will) they went for the GTA audience- including GTA Online.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Its at least much of an RPG as Deus Ex is, regardless of what the intern wrote on the twitter page. Its right there on its GOG page if you really want an "official" statement.
The GOG description says

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. You play as V, a mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant that is the key to immortality. You can customize your character's cyberware, skillset and playstyle, and explore a vast city where the choices you make shape the story and the world around you.

Then it says

• Dive into an open-world RPG and explore a futuristic city where anything goes.

CDPR doesn't even know what it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom