• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D-day was 80 years ago

winjer

Gold Member

Veterans from the U.S., Britain and Canada, more than two dozen heads of state and countless others took to the beaches of Normandy and elsewhere this week to mark the 80th anniversary of the June 6, 1944, D-Day invasion of Nazi-occupied France.

In Sannerville, Normandy, spectators turned their eyes skyward as some 400 paratroopers from Britain, Belgium, the United States and Canada participated in a multinational parachute drop.

Casts of veterans sat side-by-side in Sainte-Mere-Eglise during an American Airlines veterans parade — some sharing stories or shaking hands with passersby, and some perched quietly behind sunglasses with afternoon sunlight beating down from overhead.

French and U.S. flags lined the blue-and-red walkway the led U.S. President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden to the stage for opening ceremonies Thursday alongside France’s President Emmanuel Macron and first lady Brigitte Macron.

A day to remember the efforts and sacrifices of many good man, that fought one of the greatest evils in human history.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
D-day was productive it’s a shame it came to that it will continue to be remembered.

Landing World War 2 GIF by US National Archives

A day to remember the efforts and sacrifices of many good man, that fought one of the greatest evils in human history.

It's so sad how quickly and decisively he answered the question "Has the world learned its lesson?" with that "No way." A man who experienced so much so young, and who has lived so long to see war play out again and again. As terrible as it was, I hope WWII continues to live on and stay mainstream. It's probably the best depiction of how horrifying, brutal, and senseless war is. It's going to be awful when we lose the last few WWII vets, but hopefully enough media will be around to keep telling their story.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The closest I've ever felt to understanding what those guys went through was watching one specific scene in the 2019 All Quiet on the Western Front. And that comes nowhere close to actually being an 18-year-old kid overseas for the first time getting shot at. They're 10x the man I'll ever be, they don't get the respect they deserve, and sometimes I wish the world would stop in its tracks, really take in what they did, and honor them. That's what Memorial Day is supposed to be, but who actually does that? Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's so sad how quickly and decisively he answered the question "Has the world learned its lesson?" with that "No way." A man who experienced so much so young, and who has lived so long to see war play out again and again. As terrible as it was, I hope WWII continues to live on and stay mainstream. It's probably the best depiction of how horrifying, brutal, and senseless war is. It's going to be awful when we lose the last few WWII vets, but hopefully enough media will be around to keep telling their story.
You know there are young people making selfies in Auschwitz?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

There are some of them left for the 80th now. I doubt any will make it to the 90th, which means the 85th will probably be the last remembrance with any vets there. I’m thinking of making the trip to Normandy in five years for it.

The reply just above your reply here has an interview with a vet who's 101 years old. He's one of the last surviving people.

Thaedolus

I never knew my grandfather that was in the third wave at Omaha, he died before I was born. But my grandmother said he’d wake up screaming and crying from what he saw for decades afterward. He only wrote down one accounting of it in a family bible and never spoke of it to anyone.

What happened to those young men, and all the civilians, was simply unspeakable

There are some of them left for the 80th now. I doubt any will make it to the 90th, which means the 85th will probably be the last remembrance with any vets there. I’m thinking of making the trip to Normandy in five years for it.

The opening of Saving Private Ryan is still an absolute peak cinema and nothing has surpassed it in cinematography, brutality, audio design, acting, etc.

Last edited:

Bry0

Was thinking of my grandfather yesterday. I always keep a picture of him and his group in boot camp up. They went through hell at such a young age, face to face with fascism. They helped shape a world we have benefited from for generations. Bless them. That generation went through something I really don’t think we understand today, we’ve been lucky.

Thaedolus

I’m an agnostic/atheist but I still find FDR’s prayer to be quite moving:

My fellow Americans: Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far.
And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer:
Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our Nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.
Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.
They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.
They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest-until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.
For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.
Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.
And for us at home - fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas - whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them - help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.
Many people have urged that I call the Nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.
Give us strength, too - strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.
And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.
And, O Lord, give us Faith. Give us Faith in Thee; Faith in our sons; Faith in each other; Faith in our united crusade. Let not the keenness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.
With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogancies. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister Nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.
Thy will be done, Almighty God.
Amen.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Was thinking of my grandfather yesterday. I always keep a picture of him and his group in boot camp up. They went through hell at such a young age, face to face with fascism. They helped shape a world we have benefited from for generations. Bless them. That generation went through something I really don’t think we understand today, we’ve been lucky.
Soon the sad thing is WW2 won’t have anyone with living memory of it. I remember my Nan telling me stories how one day on the way to school a German plane tried to shoot her. Then it bombed a school close by

I hope we never forget it. Any time hitler or nazi is censored we need to fight To uncensor it otherwise people are going to forget the horrible shit that happened. Soon I feel as if the younger generation will censor most of WW2 because it will be offensive to them somehow.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It is mind blowing that soon there will be no more living memories of the war. We will get another perspective of the children and family they came back to and had after the war. I hope we never forget how awful the war was, its horrors can never be repeated.

The closest I've ever felt to understanding what those guys went through was watching one specific scene in the 2019 All Quiet on the Western Front. And that comes nowhere close to actually being an 18-year-old kid overseas for the first time getting shot at. They're 10x the man I'll ever be, they don't get the respect they deserve, and sometimes I wish the world would stop in its tracks, really take in what they did, and honor them. That's what Memorial Day is supposed to be, but who actually does that? Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

They did a great job with that adaptation. Between that and some early episodes of Masters of the Air, it was a horror movie take on war rather than the action focus we often see portrayed, and it being a German's perspective really drives it home how horrific for everybody - especially the losing side.

Hudo

I can't decide whether Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or Call of Duty 2 had the better D-Day level

Top Bottom