• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daemon X Machina | Review Thread |

Ladioss

Yep, that's what I tried to articulate earlier : western game reviewers miss the point of the Armored Core games with a regularity which is almost funny. It's not something exclusive to mech games, franchises like Shin Megami Tensei or Monster Hunter had the same problem many years back - before they started to get really popular in the west, and then the game journos had to adapt. Arcane Japanese niche games are something you really need to be educated into to appreciate, and most of the time people just don't want to waste their time; it's fine when you are a regular player, but unprofessional coming from a reviewer.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
The only mech game I ever played a lot was Chromehounds and I loved that game. My impression of this is that it’s colorful and looks fun. Debating on picking it up as I’m still playing through Astral Chain, but will definitely cop this.

Knivess

Neo Member
Thats always case with most Japanese mecha games, for games like these I always trust my own judgement and thankfully we got two demos for it and I really enjoy them.

Yep, i've thoroughly enjoyed playing through every Armored Core game, i knew they'd review badly before they even came out but they know who their audience is.

Ma-Yuan

Started to play yesterday and I am quiet happy. As an AC fan you are right at home. I only played the 1st demo and I could directly tell it is much smoother and the speed of the Mechs was increased significantly. Can't wait to play more :) Also the graphics / art style is the way to go for switch based on the limited resources. Its looks quiet sharp. I would even asume it hits 1080p in docked mode.

Saruhashi

Banned
I got this and Astral Chain using the "vouchers" that I bought a while ago.

Have to say that I am quite enjoying it.

Controls handle well.
The style is very nice looking and enjoyable.
The world building is decent.
I like the ability to customize and pick up new gear.
Missions are fun to complete and replay.

The problem with reviewers, I would say, is that they give WAAAAY to much weight to story.

So they end up saying the game is great but the story is a mess so the score is heavily skewed towards story.

Does this even make sense for videogames?

If you look at a game like the Shadow of the Colossus remake on PS4. It has a 91 on Metacritic. If you look at the trophies for this game though you will see that while 99% of people who play the game will defeat the 1st colossus this drops to 70% when you get to the 5th colossus, 56% for the 10th and then 49% for complete the game on any difficulty.

A lot of players seem to not really be sticking around for the story in so many games.

Assassin's Creed Origins has 98% completing the prologue but only 68% completing the final story quest.
Red Dead Redemption 2 has 95% completing chapter 1 but that drops to 75% completing chapter 2 and only 55% completing chapter 5.

Yet reviews of these games seem to be far more focused on the story, that a lot of gamers seem to not finish, and less focused on the gameplay.

I'd question how much having a "bad" story should impact the reviews of any given game and if games like Daemon X Machina would be better off not pushing a story at all.

It just seems weird to me that the IGN review seems mostly positive but then they basically say "the story sucks, 6.5" and the game has the same score as Anthem.

I especially like this: Missions almost never deviate from “destroy X things” or “stop thing from being destroyed” structures.

So it's a videogame then? :)

I mean, what the fuck?

Sometimes it feels like they overthink things. Instead of looking at the game as a game first and foremost they are looking for a story and then trying to build a review around the "story". For example, giving Gone Home a 9.5 based solely on how it fares as a work of fiction. How is it as a videogame though?

Just seems so silly to take a medium such as videogames and then review it in the context of other mediums like movies and/or books.
The weight given to storytelling is too much, in my opinion.

Not that this is a 10 out of 10 game for me. It's more in that 7 or 8 region for sure but I just can't agree with a 6.5 based on the story not being that great.

Ma-Yuan

My review's finally up: Took some time because of TGS and how I only write reviews for games once I've actually cleared them.

Nice Review :)

I am currently near the end I guess. Rank A it is :) I think I will be able to finish it tonight. So far I had my fun. I also feel the Story is underdeveloped and it could be something else if they had some better Scenario writer. The world setting is great imo.

MagnesG

Banned
The ign review is really weird, so he was disappointed because the game seems to be hinting for something more. Did he really have to deduct the score for that though. Would the score become better if the premise is garbage from the start, if he was not feeling misled and disappointed?

I'm still on the early game btw, I enjoyed using melee attack more than I thought, with calculated boost back/forth and higher camera sensitivity. Mapping the femto cycle to X and Y button works wonders, now I'm fairly adept on changing the mode at will. Mirage is the only thing I can't seem to apply properly on my usual plan for now.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Finished it 2 days ago. And I would give it a Solid 7.5 / 10. I also admit that the story is a really missed oportunity. But for me as a Mech and AC Fan it was a really good game but still a bit flawed. Thats why I think a 7.5 is fair.

Missions were to short for my taste. The only longer mission was the last one which I finished with my first try. I nearly lost because the bettery of my pro controller died and the game didn't pause :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I also think it is to easy. I only had two times issues but only in the first attempt. I never changed parts of my arsenal after the first few hours. Only weapons were upgraded and replaced. The loot part isn't to hot I admit. Especially if you only have one of two arms and it just doesn't drop or not the right arm :D

But today I read that Marvelous will provide us with free updates so even if it is a niche game it gets some love and support :)

Top Bottom