• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn, JRPGs finally clicked for me.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've dipped my toe in the genre many times, only to quickly retract it because of "boring gameplay". I needed that fast twitch, hard as nails shit and JRPGs aren't that.

I completed Chrono Trigger (I mean, you gotta), Star Ocean 4, Tales of Symphonia, more recently Tales of Arise, Final Fantasy XIII (I know). Maybe a few others that aren't top of mind. But started and stopped many others and instead played games like Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Metroidvanias, Street Fighter, Counter-Strike, etc. Stuff with a bit more immediate and consequential gameplay.

And yet, I've long felt that something was missing. The art, characters, definitely the enemy designs, mechanics, and grandiosity of JPRGs always called to me, but the idea of those games often clashed with reality in my head when I started playing one.

However, I recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition after 80 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it and now it's kind of all I want to play is JRPGs. I started Dragon Quest XI and haven't been able to stop playing when I have a free minute.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I finally get why the genre is beloved by so many and I can't wait to dive into titles I've always wanted to play (after DQXI of course).

killatopak

We Got Him GIF

BossLackey

Gold Member
Say goodbye to the rest of your life.
I'm already feeling it. Though I will say, these games have dramatically improved my day-to-day stress. I've been completely engrossed in DQ exploring every inch, talking to every NPC, taking advantage of every system (something I learned the HARD way that I need to be doing thanks to XBC), and doing every side quest and it's a much better escape than games I'm usually caught playing that are much more "intense".

It's legit making me a happier, chiller person when work, life, and my own brain have been causing me so much stress lately.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've dipped my toe in the genre many times, only to quickly retract it because of "boring gameplay". I needed that fast twitch, hard as nails shit and JRPGs aren't that.

I completed Chrono Trigger (I mean, you gotta), Star Ocean 4, Tales of Symphonia, more recently Tales of Arise, Final Fantasy XIII (I know). Maybe a few others that aren't top of mind. But started and stopped many others and instead played games like Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Metroidvanias, Street Fighter, Counter-Strike, etc. Stuff with a bit more immediate and consequential gameplay.

And yet, I've long felt that something was missing. The art, characters, definitely the enemy designs, mechanics, and grandiosity of JPRGs always called to me, but the idea of those games often clashed with reality in my head when I started playing one.

However, I recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition after 80 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it and now it's kind of all I want to play is JRPGs. I started Dragon Quest XI and haven't been able to stop playing when I have a free minute.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I finally get why the genre is beloved by so many and I can't wait to dive into titles I've always wanted to play (after DQXI of course).

Pick up xenoblade 2 and torna dlc then straight onto xenoblade 3....they are incredible and the combat is sublime imo.

I'm currently on xeno 3 and it's amazing.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Pick up xenoblade 2 and torna dlc then straight onto xenoblade 3....they are incredible and the combat is sublime imo.

I'm currently on xeno 3 and it's amazing.

I'm 100% going to play 2 and 3 (I actually already have 2). It's why I played 1 to begin with. When it came out on Wii initially, the scale amazed me (and it still does), so I was keen on it but it was out of my wheel house at the time. My best friend is a massive XB fan and I really want to catch up if I can. Hopefully, between DQ and the INSANITY that is the middle of this year's release schedule, I can get finished with 3 (after I play 2) by....end of year? I dunno lol

I looooooooove the way they look and the combat looks even better than XBC1. Really want to play them!

BossLackey

Gold Member
Best Japanese RPGs : Phantasy Star 2 and 4; Persona 4 Golden; Resonance of Fate ; Skies of Arcadia; Super Mario RPG and Pokemon Blue. Everyone should play them.
Okay, definitely noted! Wouldn't have even though of Resonance of Fate! Completely forgot about that game. Only familiar with the box art, but I'm def going to look into it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, it's a "game by game" basis thing as everything, I'm yet to find "attractive" whatever people do to games like GTA or RDR... I tried Death Stranding and while it was clicking, I just needed to fall into one PT liquid thing to think it was too much of a hassle just to get out of it and put it out.

Funnily enough, when OP mentioned what games he/she liked instead, I was thinking "damn, Xenoblade would be a perfect choice for this person", that was before finishing reading lol

SeraphJan

JRPGs have slow start but extreme climax and ending

Most of them by mid to end game you felt they are a completely different game than you initially expected

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
JRPG have slow start but extreme climax and ending

Yeah, I have definitely noticed this and the slow build, getting stronger, bigger and bigger party, characters fleshing out over time, more abilities, deeper mechanics etc as the game progresses (at least for XBC and now DQXI) have been really great.

It's true what they say. You start as a kid waking up in bed and you end up a god killer lmao. I'm here for it.

I couldn’t get into Xeno 1, not sure if it was because of the war. Everything seemed so serious. I love Xeno 2 so far (about 20 hours in). Just got KOS MOS. I’m finally starting to grasp the battle system and have a group of blades that I like. Not sure about 3 yet. I’ve been bored with jrpgs for a while so I’m happy that I’m finally enjoying one again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I couldn’t get into Xeno 1, not sure if it was because of the war. Everything seemed so serious. I love Xeno 2 so far (about 20 hours in). Just got KOS MOS. I’m finally starting to grasp the battle system and have a group of blades that I like. Not sure about 3 yet. I’ve been bored with jrpgs for a while so I’m happy that I’m finally enjoying one again.

Confused Christian Bale GIF

There is only one "Xeno 1"

812fbe6c5760bf95aa90b6caa5103143.jpg

cireza

JRPGs that are well made have a very subtle and satisfying feeling of having your team getting stronger. As if with each level taken, you can sense this slight difference, like doing 1% more damage. This can actually be a pretty strong driving force. I think in particular of the Shining Force games. Incredibly satisfying.

I would recommend Phantasy Star IV, Lunar 2 (SEGA-CD), Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

killatopak

JRPG is such a large genre though.

Maybe you’ll like tactics. Try Valkyrie Chronicles, FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre.
Monster collection? SMT, Persona, Pokemon, Digimon
Boss rush? Monster Hunter, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden
Action? Souls, NieR/Automata, Ni-Oh
MMO-like? FF12, Xenoblade, White Knight Chronicles

Shit, there’s so much really.

SeraphJan

I vouch for most of the game on this list, I also like to mention Suikoden franchise, one of the best

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
When I was a kid the language barrier was hard that I couldn’t complete any JRPG as I will be screwed not knowing how the leveling system work or where to go next. So I also consider myself joining very late.

Persona 5R is a must for anyone who likes the genre.

FFX/FFX-2 HD Remaster is also a good recommendation despite FFX final boss huge difficulty spike but Riku would screw him easily.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Are you playing the original version of DQ11 or the definitive edition? The QOL improvements in the DE are worth starting over for.

I've spent the last 25+ years playing them. There is a giant list to play and unfortunately it would take quite awhile to catch up.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Even if they do port it, I recommend emulators. It's a superior experience. Unless maybe Switch Pro?

Also, I don't know where your line is for graphics, but Rogue Galaxy and Shadow Hearts: Covenant are both excellent games from yesteryear and in my personal top 10 JRPGs.

I'm no graphics whore at all. I play quite a few oooooold games. Gameplay Mechanics > Art Style > Enemy/Character Design >>>>>>>>> Graphics.

I'll definitely add these to the list!

Bragr

Banned
It's all good until you notice they haven't figured out how to progress turn-based gameplay for the last 30 years.

Still worth it, there is too many great jrpg's out there to ignore it.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Most of what you listed aren't even JRPGs.

Killer8

It's all good until you notice they haven't figured out how to progress turn-based gameplay for the last 30 years.

Still worth it, there is too many great jrpg's out there to ignore it.

How do you really progress what was perfected in Final Fantasy XII?

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Persona 5 Royal

Top Bottom