• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn, JRPGs finally clicked for me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Oh I'm prepared lol. I've long heard it's quite the commitment. I think I'll be getting a bit faster in completing these, but Tales of Arise and XBC both took me 80 hours. So this might take me over 100.
Main story average is 101 Hours on HLTB. I just didn’t want to scare you lol.

Herr Edgy

Also I just noticed there is a limited edition soundtrack you can preorder right now. Comes with 1/3 scale replicas of Mio and Noah's flutes and a bunch of other cool stuff. Around 16.000 yen.
Preordered.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also I just noticed there is a limited edition soundtrack you can preorder right now. Comes with 1/3 scale replicas of Mio and Noah's flutes and a bunch of other cool stuff. Around 16.000 yen.
Preordered.
We are also getting Amiibo for Mio & Noah and for Pyra and Mythra.
xenoblade-chronicles-3.large.jpg
super-smash-bros-ultimate.large.jpg

Reactions: Isa

Shut0wen

I've dipped my toe in the genre many times, only to quickly retract it because of "boring gameplay". I needed that fast twitch, hard as nails shit and JRPGs aren't that.

I completed Chrono Trigger (I mean, you gotta), Star Ocean 4, Tales of Symphonia, more recently Tales of Arise, Final Fantasy XIII (I know). Maybe a few others that aren't top of mind. But started and stopped many others and instead played games like Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Metroidvanias, Street Fighter, Counter-Strike, etc. Stuff with a bit more immediate and consequential gameplay.

And yet, I've long felt that something was missing. The art, characters, definitely the enemy designs, mechanics, and grandiosity of JPRGs always called to me, but the idea of those games often clashed with reality in my head when I started playing one.

However, I recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition after 80 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it and now it's kind of all I want to play is JRPGs. I started Dragon Quest XI and haven't been able to stop playing when I have a free minute.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I finally get why the genre is beloved by so many and I can't wait to dive into titles I've always wanted to play (after DQXI of course).
Ive just completed xenoblade chronicles 2, starting the tora expansion now and if you like XCD then you have to play XC2 just purely because of how much better the combat is

I've dipped my toe in the genre many times, only to quickly retract it because of "boring gameplay". I needed that fast twitch, hard as nails shit and JRPGs aren't that.

I completed Chrono Trigger (I mean, you gotta), Star Ocean 4, Tales of Symphonia, more recently Tales of Arise, Final Fantasy XIII (I know). Maybe a few others that aren't top of mind. But started and stopped many others and instead played games like Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Metroidvanias, Street Fighter, Counter-Strike, etc. Stuff with a bit more immediate and consequential gameplay.

And yet, I've long felt that something was missing. The art, characters, definitely the enemy designs, mechanics, and grandiosity of JPRGs always called to me, but the idea of those games often clashed with reality in my head when I started playing one.

However, I recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition after 80 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it and now it's kind of all I want to play is JRPGs. I started Dragon Quest XI and haven't been able to stop playing when I have a free minute.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I finally get why the genre is beloved by so many and I can't wait to dive into titles I've always wanted to play (after DQXI of course).
that's my boy

BossLackey

Gold Member
OP to their family,

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And in an absolutely serious note, if you enjoyed Tales of Arise, I'd suggest Tales of Berseria and Tales of Vesperia (personally I loved both immensely, especially Vesperia).
I loved the first half of Arise. Then the last half was stretched into oblivion. Also, I've never, ever, seen or heard any example of any media be as narratively repetitive as Arise. I almost couldn't believe it.

"We're going to go to this place for this reason!"

"Are you saying we're going to this place for this reason?"

"Yes! We're going to this place for this reason! What do you think about us going to this place for this reason?"

"I think going to this place for this reason is good/bad for this reason"

DEAR LORD

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Trails-Series-Timeline-RPGFan-v2-512x720.jpg

Trails in the sky 1-3 are only on PC. I would recommend you start with Trails From Zero, next its direct sequel Trails to Azure, then play through Cold Steel 1 - 4. All English speaking Trails fans are waiting for Reverie to release this July.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It's honestly one of the best JRPG series out there. It's the MCU of JRPGs. Every game is inter-connected and takes place in the same world. The world building is unparalleled in this series.
Well that does sound pretty interesting...(goddamnit lol)

Kharedo

Banned
i only hate that most of JRPG games have anime style hero a 15 to 25 year old boy with no face hair and mostly blue or red or yellow hair
and the hero always try to save something or someone or the planet or retrive something

AmuroChan

It is. It's the only JRPG series where every game is inter-connected in the same universe. Cold Steel IV is essentially Endgame, especially the end
where every character from previous games appear from Dr. Strange portals to fight the main villain.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I was musing about RPGs and the very specific flavor of gaming they have last night. I was playing through RE4 Remake, and I remembered a few reviewers saying that it's now much more of an adventure or quest than the original, and it made me think: this is a good game, but they could expand on it and make a game twice as large and it would still feel different than an RPG quest, despite having more similarities now.

That got me wondering why, other than different devs or genres. The answer I came to was this: For as expansive and fleshed out as RE4R or basically any third person action game is or will be, it's still confined, hampered even, by the genre. Everything is set into chapters, and there are some variations, but by and large, there is one mode of gameplay: exploration into combat. You always have a pressing goal, enemies are strategically placed in specific spots, etc.

An RPG has the scope, the detail, the fleshed out world - but it also isn't constantly narratively funneling you into a high stress situation. There's documents and lore to find. There are games, and gambling. There are quests, secret dungeons and caverns. You can decide you're tired of fighting the evil empire and go fucking fish or gather supplies. In the sense of escapism, RPGs are just unparalleled because they're essentially Wardrobe entrances to another life, that you can choose to be a hero, or just a dude in, depending on your mood.

Oh believe me, it's mighty high on my list. I played XBC just so I could get to 2.

My body is ready.
By the by, games like XC2 and XC3 are greatly enriched by their DLC which adds playable characters, story quests and arenas and the like. It's not the type of thing where you would play the base game and then if you like it add the DLC, I would strongly recommend having the DLC from the get-go as it improves things alot and the new characters/features will show up early and enhance the experience. Games like XC2 have their haters but I think many of the criticisms people level against the game were addressed by patches and DLC so that when I got around to playing it the whole experience was great.

Also their battle systems get pretty crazy, I don't think it's bad to look up guides on youtube to help you understand all your powers and options during combat expecially with XC2 which has poor tutorials for a great battle system

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
It's honestly one of the best JRPG series out there. It's the MCU of JRPGs. Every game is inter-connected and takes place in the same world. The world building is unparalleled in this series.
Yeah, and that's its biggest problem.
Who the fuck has the mental strenght to play one after another? Or to be forced to play all of them if interested in a different one down the line?

Jsisto

Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Dragon Quest XI are two of the best JRPGs ever as far as I’m concerned. You definitely picked the right ones to get hooked with.

Sleepwalker

Who the fuck has the mental strenght to play one after another? Or to be forced to play all of them if interested in a different one down the line?
Just looking at that picture gives me fatigue lol

they have pretty much consumed me the last two years after getting back into after a long break.

I’m a world of trash games and the way the industry is nowadays, JRPG’s are peak gaming that is refreshing even after all this time.

AmuroChan

Honestly wasn't that difficult for me. I played the Cold Steel games first. Then played Sky and recently finished the Crossbell games. They're inter-connected, but each series has its own focused storyline.

Mister Wolf

Honestly wasn't that difficult for me. I played the Cold Steel games first. Then played Sky and recently finished the Crossbell games. They're inter-connected, but each series has its own focused storyline.

These people are missing out on a great franchise. I go back and forth between Xeno and Trails as to which one is my favorite.

Hugare

What really scares me from JRPGs nowadays are the long hours required to finish them

I used to love JRPGs, finished a bunch of them, but I dont have as much time as I used to in order to invest so many hours to one game. And when I'm into a game, I play it like a maniac until I finish it, so 10h games are my jam.

I took months to finish GoW: Ragnarok, for example

I've been trying to play DQ XI for some months now, slooowly making my way through the game. But playing a game like this only once in a while doesnt keep me engaged, so I always drop them.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Radical_3d

It is. It's the only JRPG series where every game is inter-connected in the same universe. Cold Steel IV is essentially Endgame, especially the end
where every character from previous games appear from Dr. Strange portals to fight the main villain.
Maybe the idea (taken from the novel sequence) is the same but I don’t think MCU is something you should say if you want to recommend something to other people.

Arsic

Gold Member
The genre is so vast that it can be hard to find one that initially reels you in. Growing up we just kept getting better and better titles for like 15+ years straight .

Nowadays they are shovelware D tier anime trope games with dated everything from 2-3 console generations ago.

You’ll likely like FF16 coming up.

I personally found the two best most recent examples in the genre to be octopath traveller 2, and triangle strategy.

When the Suikoden 1&2 HD versions come out this year definitely play #2 OP.

daveonezero

Banned
I'm 80 hours in and I don't know when this shit will end. Turned off expert mode now just blasting through. I think I have 2 or 3 chapters left. The story got real weird and so much mystery. Then of course I an't help myself and look at the new trailer thread and get so many spoilers.

I'm just playing with Shulk and don't really haven't gotten bored with the combat. Its almost just too much and I want to get into the 2nd one.
Love the fashion and gear for the other characters.

Top Bottom