• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damon Lindelof’s Star Wars movie fast-tracked, stand-alone set after the ST (but ST characters may appear)

luxsol

The ST characters weren't the problem... The writing was.
That's what makes the characters ridiculous and uninteresting though.

Three whole movies where Rey Skywalker is Luke+HAn Solo+Chewbacca+Leia and two side characters that have no affect on the movie unless they're with Rey.

If they insert Rey Skywalker, what the fuck is she even going to do? They have to Captain Marvel her like in Avengers Endgame, where she's needed on another galaxy to keep her busy. Or will they severly cut down on Skywalker's powers?
Finn's dead, unless they win Boyega over with a ton of money. But all potential he had was undone with the STs by being nothing but a generic sidekick.
Poe? He's Wedge or Red Leader but with more lines. He basically would just exist in future movies as "HEy, that's an actor and name i recognize"
Who else is there? Rose? Universally reviled and one of the worst selling toys of all time, and a non-character in part 3.
Everyone else arent even characters, but talking arrow signs, guideposts, maps, and set pieces. Bunch of non-characters with no fans.

I should at least mention Darth Emo. To me, he'd be the least offensive character from the ST to appear in the next movie, since he got killed and can only be a cameo appearanc.... FUCK i just remembered how Disney ruined Force Ghosts too with Yoda affecting shit physically and ALL THE JEDIS EVER lending Rey their powers or whatever bullshit was going on at the end of part 3.

And all these characters are from movies kids do not give a shit about. All that leaves are fans who overwhelmingly dislike the sequel trilogy. So why insert ST characters if it will literally turn off potential viewers?

We have literally seen how no one really wants Sequel Trilogy characters, because their toys did not sell. The sequel trilogy was one of the worst things to ever happen to the Star Wars franchise, because the franchise was an Ever Green property that took up a large section of the toy shelves in stores for over 20 years. Every single year since 1995 or there about, the Star Wars toylines took up 20-50% of a toy aisle, even in years where there was no cartoon, video game, or movie to boost sales. Force Awakens was one of the biggest points since The Phantom Menance in terms of merchendise, but it took over 2 years for that toyline to sell out. Meaning, by the time Part 2 came out (i can't remember its title and too lazy to open anotehr tab to find out), there were still The Force Awakens toys still on the shelves, sharing space with Part 2 toys. And when Part 2 sales also proved to be awful, by the time Skywalker Rises came out toy stores cut their orders and only 10% of the toy aisle had Part 3 toys.
Star Wars toy sales have not reccovered since then and today there's only 8 or 10 pegs that hold Star WArs toys. The ST was a huge fucking failure and licensors are trying their hardest to wring out revenue from this failing property by only making proven sellers: Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy toys.

Why can't Disney wise up?

also, i just remembered i can upload images now. fucking ST was barren of anything cool that can sell toys, unlike the OT and PT.
V9Oef9A.png

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Thank God, this Solo Star Wars crash put the brakes on, what was seeming to be a very quick train to my origin story movie about the opera singer in Canto Bight and how on That Day, the day of the Trico liberation, she was mildly inconvenienced.

YES, THE WHEELS BEGIN TO TURN ONCE MORE

Madflavor

A bad writer and an inexperienced writer are going to make a sequel to the ST, and bring back some of those characters. A story and set of characters that received mixed to negative reception from the fans and audiences.

Are they THAT tone deaf?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That's what makes the characters ridiculous and uninteresting though.

Three whole movies where Rey Skywalker is Luke+HAn Solo+Chewbacca+Leia and two side characters that have no affect on the movie unless they're with Rey.

If they insert Rey Skywalker, what the fuck is she even going to do? They have to Captain Marvel her like in Avengers Endgame, where she's needed on another galaxy to keep her busy. Or will they severly cut down on Skywalker's powers?
Finn's dead, unless they win Boyega over with a ton of money. But all potential he had was undone with the STs by being nothing but a generic sidekick.
Poe? He's Wedge or Red Leader but with more lines. He basically would just exist in future movies as "HEy, that's an actor and name i recognize"
Who else is there? Rose? Universally reviled and one of the worst selling toys of all time, and a non-character in part 3.
Everyone else arent even characters, but talking arrow signs, guideposts, maps, and set pieces. Bunch of non-characters with no fans.

I should at least mention Darth Emo. To me, he'd be the least offensive character from the ST to appear in the next movie, since he got killed and can only be a cameo appearanc.... FUCK i just remembered how Disney ruined Force Ghosts too with Yoda affecting shit physically and ALL THE JEDIS EVER lending Rey their powers or whatever bullshit was going on at the end of part 3.

And all these characters are from movies kids do not give a shit about. All that leaves are fans who overwhelmingly dislike the sequel trilogy. So why insert ST characters if it will literally turn off potential viewers?

We have literally seen how no one really wants Sequel Trilogy characters, because their toys did not sell. The sequel trilogy was one of the worst things to ever happen to the Star Wars franchise, because the franchise was an Ever Green property that took up a large section of the toy shelves in stores for over 20 years. Every single year since 1995 or there about, the Star Wars toylines took up 20-50% of a toy aisle, even in years where there was no cartoon, video game, or movie to boost sales. Force Awakens was one of the biggest points since The Phantom Menance in terms of merchendise, but it took over 2 years for that toyline to sell out. Meaning, by the time Part 2 came out (i can't remember its title and too lazy to open anotehr tab to find out), there were still The Force Awakens toys still on the shelves, sharing space with Part 2 toys. And when Part 2 sales also proved to be awful, by the time Skywalker Rises came out toy stores cut their orders and only 10% of the toy aisle had Part 3 toys.
Star Wars toy sales have not reccovered since then and today there's only 8 or 10 pegs that hold Star WArs toys. The ST was a huge fucking failure and licensors are trying their hardest to wring out revenue from this failing property by only making proven sellers: Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy toys.

Why can't Disney wise up?

also, i just remembered i can upload images now. fucking ST was barren of anything cool that can sell toys, unlike the OT and PT.
V9Oef9A.png

You and everyone else are proving my point. Write the characters better and they will be better liked... The writing has to come from someone COMPETENT and a FAN of the material... Otherwise, it's empty crap.

And part 2, aka The Last Jedi, was the worst SW movie of all time. NOTHING changed by the end of the story.

MrMephistoX

I wish Disney would just wake up and go “hey the sequels sucked ass. So they’re no longer part of the Star Wars timeline. Let’s try that again but good.”

I don't see how they can do that without deep faking Leia and paying an insane amount of money to Harrison Ford to get on board again after he finally got what he wanted since ESB death of Han Solo. The best thing they can do is use Mando and other D+ series to make the sequels less shitty: although its hard with Rise of Skywalker considering they copped out on things that would have at least made it more emotional like Chewie actually dying instead of him showing up alive and well 5 minutes later, C3PO getting his mind wiped then magically discovering R2 had a backup, and Rey dying then coming back to life. Like fix those three things and do a sequel with Kylo redeeming himself and THAT would be way more interesting than starting completely over.

The best thing they could do is set it 1000 years in the future and have Rey show up in a hologram or something after forming a new type of Jedi order that isn't just a rehash of the same mistakes of making it literal organized religion.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
You and everyone else are proving my point. Write the characters better and they will be better liked... The writing has to come from someone COMPETENT and a FAN of the material... Otherwise, it's empty crap.

And part 2, aka The Last Jedi, was the worst SW movie of all time. NOTHING changed by the end of the story.

I agree that with a proper creative team and direction, characters like Rey could have been stellar. I mean we had some great actors such as Adam Driver, Oscar Isaacs (how do you fuck up a movie with both these two guys), Hamill, Ford, Boyega, Benicio Del Toro, Domhnall Gleeson, etc. just being wasted in this fanfictiony, lazy, ill-conceived slop. So much wasted potential.

Anyway I thought I had moved on, but it still hurts goddamnit.

I agree that with a proper creative team and direction, characters like Rey could have been stellar. I mean we had some great actors such as Adam Driver, Oscar Isaacs (how do you fuck up a movie with both these two guys), Hamill, Ford, Boyega, Benicio Del Toro, Domhnall Gleeson, etc. just being wasted in this fanfictiony, lazy, ill-conceived slop. So much wasted potential.

Anyway I thought I had moved on, but it still hurts goddamnit.
The movie would have been better with the new characters in the background. Maverick showed us the way.

luxsol

Write the characters better and they will be better liked
Too late for that though.
You generally can only build on a character if they were already liked, or most importantly, when they were first established.
Like i said, Rey Skywalker is already a broken. Finn's premise (ex-stormtrooper that could have been used to humanized their military) was already shat on and became a nondescript side kick. Poe is undeveloped (after 3 fucking movies), so he could get something. Emo Vader is dead. Rose is psychotic. How do you build on this?

There's a point where you can't just keep adding shit on and expecting them to be liked. All these characters had 3 fucking movies to be developed and NOW you think they can be turned into something GOOD? It's like making the US government stay another decade in Afghanistan to turn things around.
They need to cut their losses, instead of digging deeper.

Star Wars used to be a gigantic franchise worth billions of dollars AS JUST MERCH. Today, they're barely able to have shelf presense in stores, thanks to the sequel's uninteresting and ridiculous characters no one likes and boringass rehashed designs.
Using anything from the sequel trilogy is a mistake, not just because it's hated, but because there's nothing worthwhile to use.

wUlNas2.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
About the only thing I would be wiling to watch from the ST would be a wounded Knight of Ren that escaped the RoS massacre, heads out to parts unknown, and then rebuilds a life on the fringe.

Kinda take the western vibe of Mando, mix in the ronin themes, and a lot of swashbuckling adventure with a redemptive arc in there.

Gifmaker

Forward is the only direction that makes sense. You cannot really move into Old Republic era in a useful way because the prequels established that there was no real war since the start of the Republic, so that's not a good setting for a Star Wars movie.

Doczu

Sorry, promised myself after The Last Jedi i wouldn't watch any SW movie again, and i still stand my ground (even owning D+ i left RoS unwatched). The series is where.the good stuff is, both animated and live action.

luxsol

Sorry, promised myself after The Last Jedi i wouldn't watch any SW movie again, and i still stand my ground (even owning D+ i left RoS unwatched). The series is where.the good stuff is, both animated and live action
Before TLJ, i watched Star Wars stuff automatically. I didn't watch the trailers to keep everything fresh and a surprise. Avoided all movie threads and any discussion, until after i watched the movie or show myself.
TLJ was one of three movies I ever wanted to walk out of (actually did for Mortal Kombat Annihlation and some Roman movie about the last legion), but stayed cause i was with friends. That boring tripe made me start paying attention to trailers and what people are saying, just like any ol movie
i'll still watch Star Wars stuff. If it sounds good. So i didn't watch Solo. I didn't watch Rise of Skywalker. I didn't watch Boba Fett. I have not seen Obi Wan Kenobi.

Well, i did watch RoS. On a bored day, i thought about watching the ending climax of Rise of Skywalker, because i wanted to see a good spaceship battle. How can they fuck up action scenes. I mean, they did fuck up Last Jedi with that 5mph spaceship chase, but Rise of Skywalker has millions of ships they can destroy and do manuevers around, right?
I expected something out Rogue Squadron, Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith, Babylon 5, or Deep Space 9, but got nothing but a goalless lights and sounds clusterfuck.

I usually take angry nerd rants with a grain of salt, but i should be more trusting if there's a wide consensus like with the ST.

Star Wars is just like any shitty franchise now.

I like Lindelof which is good, but this sounds more like "A Star Wars Story" with an appearence from Gulp Shitto of TROS kind of thing and not Episode X.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Sorry, promised myself after The Last Jedi i wouldn't watch any SW movie again, and i still stand my ground (even owning D+ i left RoS unwatched). The series is where.the good stuff is, both animated and live action.
After watching the force awakens and it being a total rehash I didn't even bother watching the other two. Doubt I ever will.

Alcibiades

The only way I'll care about this movie is if they retcon the sequels out through the time crystal theory or whatever. I'd like to see a new Episode 7 with Han, Leia and Luke together again. Will need new actress for Leia, or maybe all three with new actors, something along those lines that honors the original trilogy.

gothmog

Gold Member
All the fun got sucked out of the universe by a combination of the PT's need to over explain/connect the past and the ST's aimless ripoff of the OT. At this point a reboot would be nice but I'm not even sure how you go about that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All the fun got sucked out of the universe by a combination of the PT's need to over explain/connect the past and the ST's aimless ripoff of the OT. At this point a reboot would be nice but I'm not even sure how you go about that.

You should check out Andor. There's still a faint pulse of quality & originality in Star Wars.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Regardless I am excited to see SW back in theaters. The TV shows just havent been doing it for me. I feel like something is lost on the small screen.

Interfectum

I'm all for new Star Wars content post-ST. Lets move forward.

Not sure about the talent attached to this project though.

Disney really wants to connect new movie to failed trilogy? It's not that it was hated by a lot of fans but it's also forgotten by normies. Disney should move away from that failure. Making that shit noncanon would be perfect but moving new movies 1000 years in the future is better than nothing.

It should be the far future or far past. Separate itself entirely from the three trilogies and start over.

Star Wars doesn't need to be Marvel Comics.

Bragr

Banned
Hes hit and miss but at least seems like a creative guy thats actually trying. I'll keep an eye on it
Jesus what a fucking sell. This is all we get from Star Wars, "maybe it might work".

Fucking shit up the creek, thank the lord we have Andor.

The movies are gonna suck giant horse cocks all the way to Jerusalem and we all know it, don't pretend you don't. This is gonna hit lack a sack of potatoes on the concrete floor and it's gonna leave us with a bitter taste.

Fucking Disney only knows how to hit sideways with mediocre shit.

luxsol

Boba Fett: "Am I a joke to you?"

IcanIQV.gif
man, that "force kick" and comical boba fett at least fits in with RotJ's tone. ANH had moments of levity with its main characters too, and not just the droids. Albiet the force kick being unintended comedy...

Even then, after watching videos of serious fighting going on in Ukraine, what Boba Fett is doing in the background is on par with how soldiers actually get killed IRL. Weird shit happens and is actually pretty frequent.

i haven't seen Rise of Skywalker, so i have no idea how that They Fly scene works in context with the rest of the movie. If it's anything like TFA, i assume it's just dumb comedy that falls flat like a Brian Michael Bendis joke.
I think that's part of why i dislike the ST so much, because are there even good jokes in any of the movies? The prequels had some overdone as fuck comedic stuff, which killed all the humor (Jar Jar). The droid army had some non-annoying comedic shtick going, which i found amusing but not LOL funny. Even R2D2 and C3P0 weren't all that funny, apart from that flaming moment in Revenge of the Sith. OT had a lot of great comedy, especially in ANH.

AJUMP23

I guess I'm the minority but I found it to be the worst Star Wars movie. The Obu Kenobi show was worse but that's a television series otherwise Solo was just pretty bad enough to be the worst film in the series for me, even worse than Last Jedi.

And man what is Disney's obsession with that ginger girl?
What thread do you think you are posting in?

What thread do you think you are posting in?
I hate when that happens. I was in the threat about Solo and I must have somehow ended up in this thread from the similar threads at the bottom.

My bad and I'll repost it in the proper thread.

For some reason, Google Chrome is really slow on my phone loading things up and sometimes it'll jump up or down and the link I click ends up being a different link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom