• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Ryckert |OT|

Senua

I miss the GB thread

tenor.gif

Here

Neo Member
They said somewhere that it could come back. We just have to behave <3.

Last edited:

Small Change

Neo Member
All those posts, lost like tears in rain. Dan has been doing good streams lately and has definitely toned down some of the crazier/annoying things he did early on. He's doing a new series called Smashy Bet that does look as if it has a ton of gimmicks which is very Dan. It could be great like Steal My Sunshine or overloaded with crazy crap like the DK64 series was.

Philfrag

Banned
Today I finally threw away my Giantbomb hate collage. It was the size of a bed duvet and hardened by a collection of dried stains. Mostly candle wax and pigs blood. My therapist says this is a big step on the road to finding new content on video games. I think he’s right.

I see a path to recovery in Dan. Time to start a new collage. Maybe this version won’t need pentagrams and scribbles of black ink through the eyes.

looking forward to checking out that Hitman 3 vid with him and that other guy that’s suddenly been popping up in my YouTube feed.

Xdrive05

Can someone ELI5 what happened with Dan leaving Giant Bomb? Was he let go for some reason?

I was souring on GB for years until Dan came around and made it fun again. The Metal Gear Scanlan series was especially fond to me. I'm glad Dan is still out there doing things, even if it's his own thing, but I just wonder what happened that he's no longer with them.

Small Change

Neo Member
Can someone ELI5 what happened with Dan leaving Giant Bomb? Was he let go for some reason?

I was souring on GB for years until Dan came around and made it fun again. The Metal Gear Scanlan series was especially fond to me. I'm glad Dan is still out there doing things, even if it's his own thing, but I just wonder what happened that he's no longer with them.
He got a job with WWE at the start of last year. Said it was an opportunity to work his other "dream job" so took it. Doesn't seem like any bad blood as he did a top ten list for them and wrote an email to this week's Beastcast.

TheMooMan

Banned
It’s not. I’m not quite sure why people want to try and create bad blood between Dan and GB. He’s on good terms with everyone there. She’s just complimenting him. I’ve watched Dan’s streams since day 1 and his production values have come incredibly far
Not sure how my comment is "trying to create bad blood", it's just a very specific thing she's comparing it to, which just so happens to perfectly describe GB. I don't think I have the power to start some sort of feud sorry!

I know Dan's streams have good production value, that's why I enjoy watching them.

Harts316

It’s not. I’m not quite sure why people want to try and create bad blood between Dan and GB. He’s on good terms with everyone there. She’s just complimenting him. I’ve watched Dan’s streams since day 1 and his production values have come incredibly far

How do you know there’s no bad blood? Nobody is trying to create something, the comment just seems a bit too on the nose.

TheMooMan

Banned
Haha well maybe I’m wrong then 😂apologies.
No problem.

Dan has proven that despite being a gigantic idiot, he's also incredibly smart. He's not gonna burn any bridges, but Bianca won't necessarily hide things as much.

He said when he quit that he always had lots of ideas that they wouldn't let him do, so it must be liberating for him to now be doing those ideas, making a lot of $$$ in the process, and highlighting how embarrassing Giant Bomb's production issues are all at the same time.

Here

Neo Member
They put him in the control booth during one GBE thing. He did his usual Dan shtick where he made it seem like the whole thing was kinda daunting. Don't remember exactly how it went. The video turned out fine production wise, but I remember thinking of GI era Dan, where he'd really emphasize that he's lazy, and that the whole thing was "too complicated".

Truth be told, Dan is a smart guy who can be very diligent. He just doesn't see the value of putting work in things that don't benefit him immediately. Production might have been "a chore" for him while at GB and GI, but when it's for his show, he can take all the time in the world to learn it and even excel at it.

Last edited:

TheMooMan

Banned
They put him in the control booth during one GBE thing. He did his usual Dan shtick where he made it seem like the whole thing was kinda daunting. Don't remember exactly how it went. The video turned out fine production wise, but I remember thinking of GI era Dan, where he'd really emphasize that he's lazy, and that the whole thing was "too complicated".

Truth be told, Dan is a smart guy who can be very diligent. He just doesn't see the value of putting work in things that don't benefit him immediately. Production might have been "a chore" for him while at GB and GI, but when it's for his show, he can take all the time in the world to learn it and even excel at it.
You just have to look at Burgle My Bananas. Dan's taken his ideas from that feature (even though it was bad, due to the game choice) and ramped it up to 11 on his Twitch channel.

Meanwhile, despite spending the last year at home, it's taken Ben and Abby leaving to spur Giant Bomb on to even bothering trying to produce more cross-coast content.

Nobody can dispute Bianca's statement. He's smashing it, and as a one man band, that should make many, including GB, feel rather embarrassed.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Oh but he can and has:

He needed notes and he totally made it WAAAAY more difficult than it should be. It's simple. Butter each side of the bread, put in pan, crisp up, put cheese on and make it into a sandwich and flip a couple times. Golden brown. Dan puts half a stick of butter in the pan AND butters the bread. I know he has a shtick but here I think he is just a moron. Some people are amazing at some things but Dan is clueless on many simple things.

Last edited:

TheMooMan

Banned
He needed notes and he totally made it WAAAAY more difficult than it should be. It's simple. Butter each side of the bread, put in pan, crisp up, put cheese on and make it into a sandwich and flip a couple times. Golden brown. Dan puts half a stick of butter in the pan AND butters the bread. I know he has a shtick but here I think he is just a moron. Some people are amazing at some things but Dan is clueless on many simple things.
You don't get to where Dan is by being a moron.

He lacks common sense (even if we accept he plays up to that fact, it's more genuine than not) but that doesn't make him a moron. He's business savvy, financially successful (often talks about his trading etc), and a fantastic promoter.

Some of the most successful people I know (millionaires and multi-millionaires, directors of big companies, etc) can't spell for shit, or change a fuse in a plug, etc etc.

Different people have different skills, and if you asked me would I switch my skill set with Dan, I'd say hell yes in an instant. He leads an amazing life.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You don't get to where Dan is by being a moron.

He lacks common sense (even if we accept he plays up to that fact, it's more genuine than not) but that doesn't make him a moron. He's business savvy, financially successful (often talks about his trading etc), and a fantastic promoter.

Some of the most successful people I know (millionaires and multi-millionaires, directors of big companies, etc) can't spell for shit, or change a fuse in a plug, etc etc.

Different people have different skills, and if you asked me would I switch my skill set with Dan, I'd say hell yes in an instant. He leads an amazing life.
'Lacks common sense' is appropriate. I do think you are right that he has the genius in some things but is a moron in common sense..

TheMooMan

Banned
Yeah, this thread is dead. Now that Abby and Ben are gone there is less to complain about. Actually the two podcasts have been much better.
It's amazing that the week after Ben left they got Danny on as a guest for the first time in ages. Was a good listen

3 man Beastcast is working well too.

Top Bottom