• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dario Argento's Tenebrae finally comes to Blu-Ray by Synapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was reported by Fangoria.

You can preorder it through Synapse or DiabolikDVD.

The wait is over, Dario Argento fans: Synapse Films has unveiled the full details and art for the three-disc Blu-ray release of the giallo masterpiece TENEBRAE, and we have it all, plus exclusive words from Synapse president Don May Jr.

Coming February 23, the Blu-ray/DVD/CD set will be a limited-edition (only 3,000 units) Steelbook edition. The centerpiece will be an all-new restoration of a 1080p scan from the original uncut negative, presented in 1.85:1 widescreen. “This film has been a long time coming for us, and we appreciate the patience everyone’s had in waiting for this release,” May tells Fango. “We wanted to make sure it looks the best it possibly can. Anyone who has previously bought TENEBRAE knows the various transfers were not the greatest, and the newest transfer, by Wild Side France, is what we were offered when we licensed the film. We had to do a lot of additional work on it, with both picture and color, to make it acceptable for Synapse. The end result? I feel we have created the best-looking TENEBRAE ever on the market.”

TENEBRAE stars Anthony Franciosa as Peter Neal, an American author who travels to Italy to promote his latest crime novel, and becomes embroiled in a series of murders modeled on his fiction. John Saxon, Daria Nicolodi, John Steiner and Lara Wendel co-star, and the film features a great score by Goblin bandmates Claudio Simonetti, Fabio Pignatelli and Massimo Morante. The movie will be presented on the discs in both Italian and English, with newly translated English subtitles—and, on the Blu-ray, an extra bonus. “We were able to acquire rare English-text insert shots that have never been seen on optical disc, or really on home video at all, outside of an Israeli VHS in the ’80s,” May reveals. “Many scenes in TENEBRAE have Italian-language words in them, and there were alternate shots created with those words in English, most notably when Lara Wendel’s character goes down into the lair and looks through the files and pictures. We were able to acquire the various shots and transferred them in high definition, and for the first time, people will be able to watch TENEBRAE with the original Italian text visible or, through seamless branching, with those English-language inserts in it.”

Both the Blu-ray and DVD will include audio commentary by Argento scholar and BROKEN MIRRORS/BROKEN MINDS author Maitland McDonagh and the original theatrical trailer. Special features exclusive to the Blu-ray are:

• Feature-length in-depth documentary YELLOW FEVER: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE GIALLO by High Rising Productions, chronicling the giallo film genre from its beginnings as early-20th-century crime fiction to its later influences on the modern slasher genre. Featuring interviews with Argento, Umberto Lenzi, Luigi Cozzi, Lamberto Bava, Richard Stanley and more!
• Original UNSANE (U.S. version of TENEBRAE) end-credits sequence
• Alternate opening-credits sequence
• Japanese SHADOW theatrical trailer

The third disc will be an audio CD of Simonetti-Pignatelli-Morante’s score: “Through an exclusive arrangement with the fine folks at Cinevox and IDM Music,” May says, “we were able to get the remastered soundtrack, and we’re presenting it here on the CD for the first time in America. There have been import CDs available in the past, but we’ve finally been given permission to offer an authorized release in the U.S. and include it in our set. We’ve been able to remaster the tracks as well.” Also part of the package is an illustrated booklet featuring liner notes by THE ARGENTO SYNDROME author Derek Botelho and additional technical notes by May and Vincent Pereira. This edition will be available exclusively from Synapse’s website, where it’s currently available for pre-order for $39.95 plus $6 shipping; customers outside the U.S. and Canada can contact Diabolik DVD for ordering information.

“I’m very proud of the way TENEBRAE looks and sounds,” May says. “After all the hi-def versions of the film I’ve seen, ours is a big step up in quality over the previous ones. When Vincent, a co-producer on the project, saw the work for the first time, he said, ‘Don, this isn’t just a new mastering, this is a substantial presentation upgrade.’” Meanwhile, Synapse is still busy preparing Argento’s PHENOMENA for its own special-edition release later this year. “Our goal for PHENOMENA is to present all three versions—the 116-minute extended cut, the 110-minute edition and the CREEPERS U.S. release—and we’re very close. We had to deal with Warner Brothers and New Line to secure some materials for CREEPERS; it took over a year of jumping through legal hoops, but now that’s pretty much done. We’re getting there. Also, we’re planning another compact disc release for PHENOMENA, too!”

Looks like the US will finally get a Phenomena release soon as well. Pretty excited about this, and I am super happy that it comes with the soundtrack.

Fucking FINALLY!

Feature-length in-depth documentary YELLOW FEVER: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE GIALLO by High Rising Productions, chronicling the giallo film genre from its beginnings as early-20th-century crime fiction to its later influences on the modern slasher genre. Featuring interviews with Argento, Umberto Lenzi, Luigi Cozzi, Lamberto Bava, Richard Stanley and more!

starshipdesiretoknowmore.gif

I prefer his giallos to his straight up horror offerings, and I think this is his best one (squeaking out over Deep Red).

Its a shame that Dario himself isn't alive to see this great release, having been replaced by a pod person version of himself sometime in the mid to late 90's or so.

It is kinda crazy that a lot of Argento's movies haven't been released in the states. Theres an okay offering of Deep Red and Inferno by Blue Underground, and decently easy to find transfers of his first 3 movies, but no Suspiria, no Phenomena, no Opera. These exist internationally but the transfers aren't that great. I am in great anticipation for Suspiria, and I hope it is released with its soundtrack as well.

What is even weirder is that most to all of Fulci's movies have been given pretty great blu-ray treatments including Zombie, The Beyond, New York Ripper, House By The Cemetary, Lizard In Woman's Skin and The City Of The Living Dead. The only big omissions that haven't been released in the states yet (but exist internationally) are Don't Torture A Duckling and The Psychic (Though the German transfer of Don't Torture A Duckling is really superb while The Psychic is a bit lacking).

I prefer his giallos to his straight up horror offerings, and I think this is his best one (squeaking out over Deep Red).

Its a shame that Dario himself isn't alive to see this great release, having been replaced by a pod person version of himself sometime in the mid to late 90's or so.

Bwhahaha

Purchased.

Can't wait for Phenomena, which will likely be the definitive edition. It will have the uncut version, plus the Creepers version. I'm sure Don will pack it with extras as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Synapse put that out in a month or two -- it wasn't far behind Tenebrae in terms of production. I hope they get Suspiria out this year, but given the work Don is putting into that one, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out next year.

Opera is due sometime this year from Code Red. It's getting a new 2K transfer, so it should look good. I'm sure Code Red will probably include some decent extras. It's their biggest title and they do tend to at least get interviews with talent when possible.

It should be a great year for Argento on Blu-Ray.

Scavenger

Diabolik is asking $70 with shipping included for international customers. No thanks, I'll wait for standard release without bonus features and shove it inside my Arrow Video steelbook.

It is kinda crazy that a lot of Argento's movies haven't been released in the states. Theres an okay offering of Deep Red and Inferno by Blue Underground, and decently easy to find transfers of his first 3 movies, but no Suspiria, no Phenomena, no Opera. These exist internationally but the transfers aren't that great. I am in great anticipation for Suspiria, and I hope it is released with its soundtrack as well.
Phenomena is also coming soon through Synapse. Opera is with Code Red.

Both Tenebrae and Suspiria have been out on BR for a long time and the French editions are region free and pretty solid releases (especially Suspiria).

Forced subtitles though.

There's a lovely steelbook version out in the UK from Arrow Video. Actually watched it over the weekend and its worth picking up.

They have just released Deep Red which sadly was OOP before the release date. Luckily I managed to snag one, the transfer is gorgeous.

There's a lovely steelbook version out in the UK from Arrow Video. Actually watched it over the weekend and its worth picking up.

They have just released Deep Red which sadly was OOP before the release date. Luckily I managed to snag one, the transfer is gorgeous.

I really wanted that deep red release, but I couldn't find it :(

I usually get my imports from DiabolikDVD but I don't think they offered it. (I'm in the states)

Obscura

A Dario Argento thread on neogaf? Very cool.

Super excited for this but mainly for the soundtrack. Not a huge fan of the film though I love the crazy long shot around the house.

Be warned: the commentary on this edition is done by Vincent Pereira. Don't listen unless you want to be bored as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom