• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II is so bad

Gaiff

Gold Member
Jesus Christ, it's even worse than I remembered. I just gave Dark Souls Remastered a spin thinking it would feel terribly outdated and slow compared to Elden Ring but it's still very good. The animations and artwork look great at high resolutions. The combat albeit slow is still fairly satisfying and I managed to make it all the way to the Moonlight Butterfly, still a very solid game even after more than 10 years.

Dark Souls II though, holy shit, this game is bad. First of all, the graphics are fucking atrocious. It seems everything looks worse than in the original game (not even the remastered) with worse texture work, worse lighting, and absolutely terrible artwork. If it was just that I wouldn't be bitching so much, but even the movement feels terribly awkward and there is no punch behind hits and weapon swings. Everything just feels terrible and I cannot stress just how bad it looks. Somehow, it manages to look and feel much more dated than its predecessor. You would swear that it's the older game. Hell, even Demon's Souls on PS3 (albeit running at 60fps on RPCS3) is much, much better.

I made it to Mujula and stopped. I have no idea how I even managed to beat this turd back in 2014. This game is vanilla Oblivion tier of janky except without an open mesmerizing world to get engrossed into.

/endrant

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Souls games:
Tired Reading GIF by Barbara Pozzi

I haven't been truly blown away by any of the Souls games since Demon's Souls.

They were all fine after that, but just felt like small, incremental changes with most of it just copied. They're really not that different.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Op has no idea what a good game is. He probably thinks gta5 is the goat, fact is, DS2 is the best dark souls game.
Dark Souls II is legit junk and it's hilarious you have the nerve to say I have no idea what a good game is when you say that janky pile of shit is the best in the series. Only thing it had going for it back then was the PvP. Otherwise, bad graphics, bad lore, bad level design, bad bosses, bad enemies, bad combat with awful hit detection/boxes, forgettable soundtrack.
Best of the series without any doubt.
It's a piece of shit game.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

There's too much wrong with it.
Bad level design, too many gank squad ambushes, gank squad bosses, soul memory (and the fix added later is ultra lame as it requires travelling 2 or 3 zones and takes a ring slot) , no infinite respawns makes farming harder, enemy attacks change direction mid animation, enemies with infinite poise, enemies with infinite stamina, messy story, and much more!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah I didn't like it either. One the things I liked the most about Dark Souls was how the world was interconnected, and that was gone in DSII. Also the bosses kinda suck, most of them being different types of dude with armor.

Don't think it's a bad game, in fact I want to give it another go on the Deck.

DS > DS3 > DS2

peronmls

It does a lot right and a lot wrong. It's definitely a love hate kind of Dark Souls game. You can tell what they were trying to do with the series with DS2. Give it to a B-team with less budget and throw in a lot of gameplay elements which were great but at the cost of graphical fidelity, level design and story. If there wasn't such an outcry about what happened I'd bet we'd see more Souls games like 2. Yui Tanimura has only worked on DS2 and only the DLCs for Dark Souls 3. I genuinely believed DS3 came out because of what DS2 did. Just speculation. I think they wanted a separate small team for Dark Souls sequels but it didn't work out. A lot of game series do this. Bandai were trying to save it and the main team FROM really didn't want to make anymore DS games.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
It has its problems but whenever I hear people complain about it, its always in regards to how its different than others in the series. That's specifically why Its one of my favourites. People talk about DS2 like its jankiness is unique to the series, yet people will defend parts of the jankiness in the rest of the series when comparing it to games in the broader medium. Self proclaimed Dark Souls purists will go to shit relentlessly on DS2 not realising that a lot of those talking points are the exact same as the ones given to the broader series as a whole by people who can't stand the games.

Dark Souls 2 definitely isn't perfect, but its really weird hearing Dark Souls fans complain sooo hard about it. Dark Souls fans for christ sake, the guys who overlook so much in order to praise other parts of the series' design that are beautifully made (rightfully so). When Dark Souls/Demon Souls was first blowing up the people who loved it were those that could see what it did badly but also praise some of its jankiness, realising this added to the overall experience. Because the result of that design gave birth to something incredibly unique in the industry. Now you have these hardcore Dark Souls fans that began with 3 telling everyone that these games are perfect in everyway and anything that diverges slightly is somehow terrible. Dark Souls fans are beginning to sound like Halo fans. Yes Dark Souls 1 is one of the greatest games every made, but I do not need to play another one. I want FROM to experiment and push the genre/series forward in weird ways. Dark Souls 2 is awesome because its one of the only ones that attempt with that experimentation. I know you also complained about the look of DS2 but its easily one of the most striking visually. It goes for different look and stands out amongst the gothic vibe that the rest of the series struggles to experiment with. The peak opinion here is that Dark Souls 2 is to the series what Dark Souls 1 was to the industry at large. Give me your hate

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pfft. It never ceases to amaze me how some people just handwave off all the rough spots in the other Souls' games and yet fixate obsessively about everything in DS2.

Made it to Majula? OP, wtf? The game hasn't even started yet.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I thought it was... fine? By the end of the game I felt like I was just rushing through it to be done with it. Whereas I didn't have that feeling with other Souls games.

Still need to go back to the DLC as I heard it's better than the main game. But I feel like I'm already so far removed from it.

Yeah, I thought it was... fine? By the end of the game I felt like I was just rushing through it to be done with it. Whereas I didn't have that feeling with other Souls games.

Still need to go back to the DLC as I heard it's better than the main game. But I feel like I'm already so far removed from it.
It has the best DLC of the trilogy, level design wise. 3's dlc has the best boss fights, though.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Jesus Christ, it's even worse than I remembered. I just gave Dark Souls Remastered a spin thinking it would feel terribly outdated and slow compared to Elden Ring but it's still very good. The animations and artwork look great at high resolutions. The combat albeit slow is still fairly satisfying and I managed to make it all the way to the Moonlight Butterfly, still a very solid game even after more than 10 years.

Dark Souls II though, holy shit, this game is bad. First of all, the graphics are fucking atrocious. It seems everything looks worse than in the original game (not even the remastered) with worse texture work, worse lighting, and absolutely terrible artwork. If it was just that I wouldn't be bitching so much, but even the movement feels terribly awkward and there is no punch behind hits and weapon swings. Everything just feels terrible and I cannot stress just how bad it looks. Somehow, it manages to look and feel much more dated than its predecessor. You would swear that it's the older game. Hell, even Demon's Souls on PS3 (albeit running at 60fps on RPCS3) is much, much better.

I made it to Mujula and stopped. I have no idea how I even managed to beat this turd back in 2014. This game is vanilla Oblivion tier of janky except without an open mesmerizing world to get engrossed into.

/endrant
I just stopped playing Dark Souls II after a small session. NG++, had accumulated 260.000 souls, needed 270K for a level up. I die from an enemy, I respawn, before I get the chance to go to my Souls, a player invades my game and kills me when I had 2K souls.

I lost 260K souls due to an asshole invading me.

Souls games, amirite? XD

Last edited:

Alebrije

The game is fine, has the best Hub of all Souls games : Majula. Just watching the waves and that horizont its a mesmerizing experience. Majula is the last refuge againts a world immersed in madness, on that small village you can get the feeling of hope, despair, loneliness, at the same time. Majula easily can be on an HP Lovercraft novel.

The rest of the game is fine but what shines are the 3 DLCs, best of the series.

Mokus

I enjoyed it a lot (PS4 version). Not as good as the other games, but that is because the bar was set really high.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
got to Majula and quit, proceeds to complain about the entire game being terrible.
Already beat the game around when it was released. I never touched it again until recently. Didn't even bother with NG+ which I did for all the other games. It's even worst than I remembered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom