• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II is so bad

Sorcerer

I remember starting this one up 6 months after beating the original Dark Souls. It seems halfway through the game it turns into the original game. Some of the same bosses and same enviroments. I was like an homage to the original game so soon? In the direct sequel?

SCB3

Possibly the best one after the first tbh, 3 was far too easy and took too much from Bloodborne, for me Fromsoft's Souls games are

Elden Ring > Dark Souls > DS2 > Bloodborne > Demons > DS3 > Sekiro

You know what may blow peoples minds, Elden Ring IS Dark Souls 2 and inspired by in so many ways, it feels like a True DS2

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You know what may blow peoples minds, Elden Ring IS Dark Souls 2 and inspired by in so many ways, it feels like a True DS2
I've seen many people state this here and elsewhere, but I still don't get this reasoning.

But then why does an even older game still feels great?
nostalgia-nostalgic.gif

You don't have any for DS 2 so it feels 'worse'. However the honest truth is that both feel very stiff to play by today's standards. It's not my fault you're more forgiving towards one than the other 🤷‍♂️

No worries on questioning if anyone has read your OP or not, it's barely longer than a paragraph. You'll be okay.

Kokoloko85

Agreed. I don’t even count it as the same as the other Miyazaki games

All of Miyazaki’s game have a certain feel and control. I played it after playing Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, DS3 etc. And it took about 7 seconds to realise this isn’t a Miyazaki game. The roll feels completely different and the art style etc. Even Sekiro had the same feeling and controls in some ways, animations etc.

Good game still but not in the same league as Miyazaki directing it. You can tell the differences

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Dark Souls II is legit junk and it's hilarious you have the nerve to say I have no idea what a good game is when you say that janky pile of shit is the best in the series. Only thing it had going for it back then was the PvP. Otherwise, bad graphics, bad lore, bad level design, bad bosses, bad enemies, bad combat with awful hit detection/boxes, forgettable soundtrack.

Yep. I liked a couple tracks though.
The game just didnt feel like the other games, anyone who says its in the same league just isnt the same kind of fan

It's a piece of shit game.

Compared to the others yes

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yep. I liked a couple tracks though. It just didnt feel like the other games
This is puzzling because Motoi Sakuraba and Yuka Kitamura worked on the OST but for some reason, it's overall a lot weaker than I or III. I did like a few tracks like Old Dragonslayer and Mjulula but but I and III are full of bangers.

Last edited:
This game unlike others in the series requires considerable time investment to play like them as there is an upgradeable attribute that controls item use speed and invincibility frames in the roll. However, it had brilliant ideas for streamlining weapon augmentations and resetting bosses/areas at higher difficulties without beating the game all the way through. It was also more RPG oriented as the player had more choices in how to tackle the content instead of following a predetermined path. A lot of things were improved in Scholar of the First Sin with the game finally running at a smooth 60 fps instead of an uneven 30fps and changes to item placement.

It is worth noting that Dark Souls II added the best rings (one made unarmed runs viable and the other dissipated damage to back to make low health runs reasonable), coolest weapons (including kung fu fist, twinblades, and dual wielding combinations with unique attacks), and arguably best covenant (Pilgrims of the Dark) to the series. It even had notable changes to NG+ experience and managed to make the different weapon classes and different schools of spells equally useful. With mods it actually holds up a lot better than Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This is puzzling because Motoi Sakuraba and Yuka Kitamura worked on the OST but for some reason, it's overall a lot weaker than II.

I think that decision making by Miyazaki and attention to detail really shows, even if the games have similar staff.

I did like a few tracks like Old Dragonslayer and Mjulula but but I and III are full of bangers.

Same. Mjulula theme is the most Souls thing about the game lol

SkylineRKR

I beat DS2 Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 and I don't get the hate. There are too many areas yes, some very insignificant, and the atmosphere is lacking to DS1, but the game felt rather consistent to me. And great DLC. Its also my favourite PvP Souls.

Actually, Elden Ring is VERY reminiscent of DS2 in terms of overall feel and looks. I'd say DS2 is closest to it.

I actually liked Dark Souls 2 especially the enhanced PS4/XBOX One versions despite its shortcomings. Yes, it had issues like the weird hit boxes, but I thought it had some improvements as well like the magic system. I also think the DLC was really good and it had some of my favorite armor sets and builds. Even if it is considered the worst Dark Souls to many, it’s still better than most of the so called “good” games of today imo.

Last edited:
I've seen many people state this here and elsewhere, but I still don't get this reasoning.
Remember how Elden has this agility stat where there's input lag to delay rolling when you press the roll button, on purpose by design, but you can decrease the input lag if you keep putting points into agility, but the points also make rolling have more i-frames so the point of pressing the roll button with good timing is lost completely?

Wait, From didn't copy that from namco bandai? What are they, good developers or something

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Dark Souls II is a fantastic game, and it's DLCs might be the best in the genre. I kinda like how the PS4/SOTS version kinda forces you to play them to get them trophies. Worst Souls game? Yes. Incredible game that is better than 99% of other games out there? Oh yeah.

Rush2112

Banned
Bad graphics? Looks better than dark souls remastered downgrade.
Also has way more content than any souls game besides ER.
Only downside is combat not feeling as visceral and snappy as other souls titles. Otherwise, a very underrated game.

Last edited:

Stamps1646

Best NG+ I've ever experience in any game.
ADP was a dunderhead feature
I loved the armor sets and weapons
Some of the best DLC content in any souls game, IMO.

I might be in the small minority of players who thought the game was fun despite all of its flaws.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Remember how Elden has this agility stat where there's input lag to delay rolling when you press the roll button, on purpose by design, but you can decrease the input lag if you keep putting points into agility, but the points also make rolling have more i-frames so the point of pressing the roll button with good timing is lost completely?

Wait, From didn't copy that from namco bandai? What are they, good developers or something
What game are you referring to?

If I'm following right, when you upgrade agility you not only decrease lag but it becomes a wider i-frame window? What am I missing? Other than starting off probably feeling underpowered, seems like it'd be a lot of fun to become a dodge-God in two different ways at once (decreased lag & wider window)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Mind explaining why?

Elden Ring is not directed solely by Hidetaka Miyazaki. His co-director was Yui Tanimura, the director of Dark Souls 2. Tanimura began pre-production of Elden Ring after The Ringed City DLC in 2017 wrapped up while Miyazaki went on to direct Sekiro (when he was finished there, he joined team Elden Ring).

Many themes and mechanics from DS2 is reintroduced in ER. For example, power stancing and twinblade weapons being two of them. The amount of weapons and build variety is another thing DS2 had, and what ER evolved into. The semi open world of DS2 is what inspired ER to go fully open world. Then you have similarities in the story, such as Godfrey waging war against giants and then being exiled, leading the Queen to rule (King Vendrick suffered the same fate) and so on.

There is the gist of it, but there are a lot more references in the game. Here is a video from Zullie the Witch, explaining more in detail.

Last edited:
Animations = Shit.
Hitboxes = Shit.
Balance = Shit.

Animations + Hitboxes + Balance = Combat.

Therfore, Combat equals Shit.

Shit Dark Souls attempt.
I will admit the animations are rough but hiboxes are par for the course in this franchise and the balance in this one is better than any other Souls game.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

i thought it was pretty good. DS1 was 30fps on PC and you needed a mod to get to higher fps and it would screw up the physics or made you fall through world when you got off a ladder occasionally.

so when i played DS2 right after that experience the game ran extremely well and looked pretty good out of the box and while DS2 didn't have this fully connected world it did go fully in vain as they massively expand the kind of locations they created for the game.

tumblr_nxh1n4yj0n1s21q4zo3_500.gifv

tumblr_nxh1n4yj0n1s21q4zo4_500.gifv

All of the FromSoftware games have bad hitboxes. Bosses just walking through things, attacks going through objects, jump attacks getting stuck in object collision but still doing damage, bodies going through walls of metal or magic, grounded enemies not getting hit, etc.

While the game is utter trash, tbf the sword did graze the player in the gif. Only later did he realise he was hit so he tp'd back. Tensions were high so you miss stuff.
The game was programmed to complete the single roll animation, but at low Adaptability the invincibility frames are too low for the character to avoid the homing attack during the last frames of the animation. Once Adaptability catches up it works as intended.

Last edited:

simpatico

Mind explaining why?
Less focus on inter connectivity and more pure dungeons. Build variety, Viable dual wielding / power stancing. OP casting. The pacing. The jank. Mini boss -> boss patterns. Duo bosses. Stonesword keys are back.

But most of all the damn vibe. Dark Souls 2 is so damn comfy and Elden Ring comes close to matching that. This one is harder to objectively quantify, so I saved it for last. Surely it won't apply to all players. I kept expecting to find Majula at the top of an elevator.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Jesus Christ, it's even worse than I remembered. I just gave Dark Souls Remastered a spin thinking it would feel terribly outdated and slow compared to Elden Ring but it's still very good. The animations and artwork look great at high resolutions. The combat albeit slow is still fairly satisfying and I managed to make it all the way to the Moonlight Butterfly, still a very solid game even after more than 10 years.

Dark Souls II though, holy shit, this game is bad. First of all, the graphics are fucking atrocious. It seems everything looks worse than in the original game (not even the remastered) with worse texture work, worse lighting, and absolutely terrible artwork. If it was just that I wouldn't be bitching so much, but even the movement feels terribly awkward and there is no punch behind hits and weapon swings. Everything just feels terrible and I cannot stress just how bad it looks. Somehow, it manages to look and feel much more dated than its predecessor. You would swear that it's the older game. Hell, even Demon's Souls on PS3 (albeit running at 60fps on RPCS3) is much, much better.

I made it to Mujula and stopped. I have no idea how I even managed to beat this turd back in 2014. This game is vanilla Oblivion tier of janky except without an open mesmerizing world to get engrossed into.

/endrant
I remember lining up at midnight at gamestop for this trash. Thing is. I didn't realize how bad it was until I played through it and found out you could just teleport to any bonfire whenever you wanted. I'm not really a graphics whore (I am a framerate whore though) so that didn't really bother me. My gripe was with how teleporting made the world feel more instanced as opposed to seemless and connected like the first Dark Souls did. It became normal practice in Dark Souls 3 so I kinda just swallowed that gripe because 3 was so good otherwise.

Not being able to teleport at the start of Dark Souls is painful given how even Demon Souls allowed it. I would not be willing to do another run with that feature locked to late mid-game, but fortunately there is a mod that fixes that and another that fixes access to DLC.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
i thought it was pretty good. DS1 was 30fps on PC and you needed a mod to get to higher fps and it would screw up the physics or made you fall through world when you got off a ladder occasionally.

so when i played DS2 right after that experience the game ran extremely well and looked pretty good out of the box and while DS2 didn't have this fully connected world it did go fully in vain as they massively expand the kind of locations they created for the game.

tumblr_nxh1n4yj0n1s21q4zo3_500.gifv

tumblr_nxh1n4yj0n1s21q4zo4_500.gifv
Cute waifu

i2567214797.jpg

Yea DS2 is pretty rough. I've only played the SoTFS version but man does it feel cheap. Too many enemy ambushes, completely forgettable bosses (and too many). It's just meh compared to FROMs other work.

Never understood how ER ad DS2 are the highest souls games, at least per metacritic, when they are by far the worst games in the series.

Mr Hyde

Mind explaining why?

Some more similarities between DS2 and Elden Ring that I forgot in my previous post.

Pharros Lockstone - Stonesword key

Magical artifacts used to open secret areas and rooms for loot

Iron Keep - Volcano Manor

Giant palaces sunken in molten lava

Ancient Dragon Cult - Dragon Shrine

A cult dedicated to worshipping dragons. Ancient Dragon can be fought in the Shrine in DS2 and Placidusax is an ancient Dragon you fight under the Erdtree. Both are worshipped by this cult. There are similarities between the Drake knight set in ER and those annoying assholes on the stairs up to Ancient Dragon in DS2.

Also talking about armor sets. Astrologer set (and class) in ER is a direct reference to Astrologist set in DS2. The traveling merchant is also a reference to the nomadic merchants in ER.

And so on and so on.

Last edited:

Greirat

I really enjoyed DS2, the depth and variety is excellent. I think it's their most replayable game, just because of the sheer quantity of different weapons/covenants/spells/mechanics/etc. Plus the whole alternate enemy layout with Scholar. There's a lot of King's Field references in the game, so if you're a fan of FromSoft's earlier work, it's a great experience.

Puscifer

I enjoyed it. Never understood the hate it got.
Per the usual, weird art changes and people complaining about the lighting and them not going back to make it look like the E3 build. It's a good version, though I do agree ripping away the original for sale on digital platforms was an ass move.

Buggy Loop

Some more similarities between DS2 and Elden Ring that I forgot in my previous post.

Pharros Lockstone - Stonesword key

Magical artifacts used to open secret areas and rooms for loot

Iron Keep - Volcano Manor

Giant palaces sunken in molten lava

Ancient Dragon Cult - Dragon Shrine

A cult dedicated to worshipping dragons. Ancient Dragon can be fought in the Shrine in DS2 and Placidusax is an ancient Dragon you fight under the Erdtree. Both are worshipped by this cult. There are similarities between the Drake knight set in ER and those annoying assholes on the stairs up to Ancient Dragon in DS2.

Also talking about armor sets. Astrologer set (and class) in ER is a direct reference to Astrologist set in DS2. The traveling merchant is also a reference to the nomadic merchants in ER.

And so on and so on.

Yes

Elden ring is Dark souls II 2.

• Powerstance for the dual wields was unique to DS2 and Elden ring ring brought it back.
  • Twinblades were a weapon class unique to DS2, Elden ring brought them back.
  • Both use mid bosses as check points for skill/power level
  • Also the catalogue of spells being so large it makes better viability of magic builds, much like Dark souls 2 being way more impressive for spellcasting than DS1 & DS3.
  • Multiplayer, both ER and DS2 have MP without humanity/ember requirements
  • Multiple bosses at once
  • Even motherfucking enemy tracking! Elden ring is not without fault there
  • Siofra River IS Shrine of Amana, even the well-hidden antler mobs sniping you from hard-to-reach places and covering each other.
  • Repeating bosses
And all that you've said too.

It has its problems but whenever I hear people complain about it, its always in regards to how its different than others in the series. That's specifically why Its one of my favourites. People talk about DS2 like its jankiness is unique to the series, yet people will defend parts of the jankiness in the rest of the series when comparing it to games in the broader medium. Self proclaimed Dark Souls purists will go to shit relentlessly on DS2 not realising that a lot of those talking points are the exact same as the ones given to the broader series as a whole by people who can't stand the games.

Dark Souls 2 definitely isn't perfect, but its really weird hearing Dark Souls fans complain sooo hard about it. Dark Souls fans for christ sake, the guys who overlook so much in order to praise other parts of the series' design that are beautifully made (rightfully so). When Dark Souls/Demon Souls was first blowing up the people who loved it were those that could see what it did badly but also praise some of its jankiness, realising this added to the overall experience. Because the result of that design gave birth to something incredibly unique in the industry. Now you have these hardcore Dark Souls fans that began with 3 telling everyone that these games are perfect in everyway and anything that diverges slightly is somehow terrible. Dark Souls fans are beginning to sound like Halo fans. Yes Dark Souls 1 is one of the greatest games every made, but I do not need to play another one. I want FROM to experiment and push the genre/series forward in weird ways. Dark Souls 2 is awesome because its one of the only ones that attempt with that experimentation. I know you also complained about the look of DS2 but its easily one of the most striking visually. It goes for different look and stands out amongst the gothic vibe that the rest of the series struggles to experiment with. The peak opinion here is that Dark Souls 2 is to the series what Dark Souls 1 was to the industry at large. Give me your hate
Exactly dude ...to see a Souls fan so vehemently hating this game is strange. Almost as strange as the people who consider it the best in the series lol. It's got so much of the same DNA as the other games though so how can you hate it so much? I can definitely understand being disappointed by the controls and hit boxes tho. To me those are fundamental flaws but then again you can adapt. Speaking of adapt, Adp is really dumb.

I like it for its atmosphere mostly which is magical in its own way. Back in 2014 it was an awesome experience but after Sotfs and then ds3>bb>sekiro>elden ring it is hard not to see it as a tier below them.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I beat it once, I can say contently that when I die I'll never have regrets of never playing this game again before that happens. Once in a lifetime is enough.

Per the usual, weird art changes and people complaining about the lighting and them not going back to make it look like the E3 build. It's a good version, though I do agree ripping away the original for sale on digital platforms was an ass move.
You can still buy the original Dark Souls II on Steam unlike the Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls.

bitbydeath

Nobody mentioned hollowing yet?
It’s an objectively broken mechanic in the game, losing max hp without finding and wearing a specific ring is bs.

I’m glad that never continued, otherwise I would have dropped the series.

In that case, I am surprised you did not drop the series at Demon Souls as its spirit form worked similarly to hollowing. It can actually be used to gain significant damage buffs with several weapons at the cost of lower base health in Dark Souls II.

Last edited:
Top Bottom