• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls (Remastered, on Switch)

iconmaster

Banned
The first time I tried Dark Souls was through Games with Gold on the well-loved Xbox 360, and I dropped it without beating the Asylum Demon. The game was hard, yes, but also it was just unfamiliar compared to other games. (I don't think the Asylum makes a great first impression for the game, but of course Dark Souls is not interested in your first impressions.) My achievements drop off in June 2014, and don't pick up again until almost a year later. In April 2015, I made it to Firelink Shrine. Thanks to my very desultory approach to gaming, it would take me over two years from there to complete the game -- over three if you count the initial brief experience.

I'd cancelled Xbox Live Gold by the time I really started playing, so it was necessarily a solo run.

Of course, I came to love Dark Souls, and went on to play through Dark Souls III. When my son got me Dark Souls for Switch, I knew I'd be returning to Lordran sooner or later.

How is it on Switch? It's sharp! It looks much better than it did on the 360. It's good to settle back into the sword-and-board rhythm. Dark Souls feels cozy now. I'm naturally moving through the game a bit faster on this playthrough, though I still dread those Anor Londor archers.

Can't wait to "enjoy" Blighttown at a true 30 frames per second.

xrzyyOt.jpg

Fbh

This reminded me I still have to pick up the remaster.
Initially wanted the Ps4 version for the 60fps experience (played the original release on Ps3) but there's something appealing about Dark Souls on the go

iconmaster

Banned
there's something appealing about Dark Souls on the go

Yeah. I love being able to just pick it up anytime and play it. Don't have to sit down at the TV and make a whole session of the thing. When you have a family you have to grab those quick bits of gaming where you can.

Reactions: Fbh

Yumi

The switch version has the old lighting system apparently whoch I personally prefer. The new one, while sharper, i find more bland and less atmospheric.

I bought the big collection they released on PS4 but haven't got around to it yet. I wanna wait until I feel like going through all the games at once.

TexMex

Dark Souls is one of the last games I'd want to play portable, especially with those joy cons. Sharper, better controls and 60FPS by far for me. Also no clue how people could do just a quick session of one of these games. I only bother then I have a couple hours to invest.

Yumi

Dark Souls is one of the last games I'd want to play portable, especially with those joy cons. Sharper, better controls and 60FPS by far for me. Also no clue how people could do just a quick session of one of these games. I only bother then I have a couple hours to invest.
My brother recently startes playing Dark Souls 3 and he loves grinding. He grinds for armor sets, so, and has gotten way better at it than me cause hes memorized the enemies move sets. Not the way I like to play but hes proof that those types of people are out there.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Switch is a pretty perfect console to play this on. im so glad i got the remaster. portable Souls rules. i've got a 45 minute commute to/from work and this game was just perfect for that. original lighting and all that too, might be the most accurate of the remasters.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The first time I tried Dark Souls was through Games with Gold on the well-loved Xbox 360, and I dropped it without beating the Asylum Demon. The game was hard, yes, but also it was just unfamiliar compared to other games. (I don't think the Asylum makes a great first impression for the game, but of course Dark Souls is not interested in your first impressions.)

It is funny you say that. The tutorial level for Demon's Souls would have you to believe different. I think its large size and heavy attacks teaches players how to dodge attacks at a decent time. You're taught to search for an alternate path and explore anything that feels out of the ordinary.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Asylum Demon is the perfect intro. it's just that some people aren't ready for these games. if you don't make it past him, you will be bashing your head when you get to the gargoyles.

first time i ever played i gave up at the Asylum Demon. came back months later and made myself do it and i fell in love.

Last edited:

Yumi

Asylum Demon is the perfect intro. it's just that some people aren't ready for these games. if you don't make it past him, you will be bashing your head when you get to the gargoyles.

first time i ever played i gave up at the Asylum Demon. came back months later and made myself do it and i fell in love.
I think the asylum as a while is one of the best playable intros in video games. Up there with mega man x. It teaches you basically everything you need to know the beat the game. The parry could be explained better though.

iconmaster

Banned

I don't mean in terms of tutorial, I just mean it's not the most enticing area the game has to offer. There are some beautiful locales in the game, like Anor Londo, but you'd never know it from the game's first half hour.

Zephir

I played the first game on PC with DSfix for so long that I totally forget how it was before...bought the remastered on Switch because having Dark Souls everywhere is the best.

My switch is 90% handleheld because i like to play it in bed or on my desk (even if the dock is right there), so i can't talk about docked performance, but in portable mode is perfect...I had no lag, no slowdowns, no problems, it plays nice...it's not the best looking version, obviously, but it's still better than the original release on the other platforms, plus it has all the gameplay improvements, like being able to consume multiple souls at the time...and, again, it's portable dark souls...for a game sold at budget price, I would go for it and i'll probably buy the second one if they release it

Moonjt9

This reminded me I still have to pick up the remaster.
Initially wanted the Ps4 version for the 60fps experience (played the original release on Ps3) but there's something appealing about Dark Souls on the go
I played the PS4 one and got the plat while waiting for the switch version. Then I played through the switch version when that came out.

All I can say is nothing beats playing souls on the go. On my lunch break? Souls. Boring work seminar? Souls. Wife hogging the tv? Sooooooooouls.

H4ze

Dude, not only I was warmly welcomed to neogaf but now even someone is agreeing with me liking DS2 the most?! This is insane. I was told You are all hitlers here!

DS2 is truly great, it might not be the best DS for me (that's still DS1), but I sunk around 200 hours in DS2 too tho.
Fuck those DS2 bashers.

Daymos

It seems like a soild port to me, I watched my wife play through the whole thing and encounter no technical issues.

I would LOVE a dark souls 2 on switch.

Caffeine

i'm waiting for a Halloween sale or something to get it on xbox also
2 might not look good at first but once you sink time into it so good.gif

Last edited:

odhin

Finally played it (to completion) this year on PS4... and I really enjoyed it more than I think I would tbh. Haven't done the DLC yet tho, but I am considering double dip for the switch for portable goodness.

Got a pair of these bad boys to make using the Switch comfortable!

u6eiWHcDXk_2Bcjo26uY4DmmjmPGS1J_Jsx9wkWF0B0.jpg

So I'll be picking up this version of the game eventually, purely for handheld play though. Don't want to hear that horrible downgraded audio on a TV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom