• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders Genesis Is Surprisingly Good

I'm playing Darksiders Genesis right now on Switch. Because of the small screen I'm having a hard time seeing the characters and enemies and I can tell this was made for the big screen.

Barring that, this game is pretty good. I have Diablo 3 and I finished that on Switch as well and when it comes to gameplay, they're actually seems to be more variety and detail in Darksiders Genesis than in Diablo 3. In fact I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much different things there are here to do.

One thing I wish Diablo always had was the ability to platform and jump so I always have a lot of fun with Diablo like ripoffs including that feature like Victor Vran.

One problem I do have with this game is it is a bit buggy. Sometimes you'll get stuck in a place or you can't move. Maybe it's a Switch thing. It hasn't bothered me that much though.

I was playing with War the most because I'm familiar with him from the first game and I just really like swords but then I realized how kick ass Strife really is. His beam shot is something else and reminds me of the wizard in Diablo 3.

This feels like a really well done AA game. Apparently it doesn't have a big budget and it's not a big budget game but it feels just right for a game that's 20 or 30 bucks and I know quite often on GOG you can get it for 10 bucks when there's a sale. I'd say it's well worth that price.

Between Darksiders Genesis and the mainline games, I cannot do much other than beg for more. I definitely want more games in a series whether they are mainline or spin-off at this point because they've proven to me that they can pull it off.

Like I said in the other thread I made about Darksiders, this game reminds me a lot of one of my favorite series of all time, the Legacy of Kain. That's a very big deal to me as a very big fan. That's another series I hope that ends up getting more sequels now that there's some kind of renewed interest.

I'd say if you're skeptical, give Darksiders Genesis a chance especially if you're a fan of the mainline games. Also if you're a fan of Diablo or games like Diablo.

By the way, isn't there a comic book or a collection a comic books that you can get that expand on the universe? I know I've seen Darksiders comic books but wondering if I can get a full collection that's physical for cheap? I love to catch up on the stories and comic book format which is something I normally don't do but I actually really like the whole setting and everything else.

Trash franchise. Trash Thread.

Just kidding - Darksiders is one of my favorite franchises - Genesis is the only one I haven't played but DS 1 and 2 were fantastic. Played a bit of DS3 but only the start and never went back. For some reason it didn't grab me. I hope they make more mainlines ones or remake the first.

Been meaning to get to it. The only game in the franchise I played was the OG on PC years ago, and maybe an hour of DS2. Bit hokey, but a fun romp, despite trying to blend GOW and Zelda.

AndrewRyan

I love Darksiders Genesis mainly for Strife's twin-stick shooting ability. Give's the game an entirely different feel and It works really well. The Switch version has significant delays in just aiming and moving so try another version if you get the chance.

Korso

I really enjoyed my time with it. Platinumed it on PS4 a while back. It's not one that I go back to tho. I would definitely welcome a sequel, however.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's not a Diablo clone. It's just Darksiders with an isometric view and co-op.

Anyway, I loved Darksiders 1 and 2 and finished both multiple times, but I had a hard time getting into those more recent entries, especially Genesis. I just got really bored of playing it only after about 2-3 levels. Not even sure what it is about it that doesn't work since it does have all the right ingredients for the kind of game that I should enjoy, but I remember that it was just so dull that I couldn't be bothered to keep playing.

Neolombax

While I had fun with Genesis, I hope they dont go back to the isometric gameplay for the sequel (hopefully there is one). It was an interesting experiment. Being an isometric game really dampened the action I felt. Strife would have been so much better controlled in a 3rd person action game.

Top Bottom