• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT5| Halp me pls. In the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, hate that I took so long to start this stuff
Don't dwell on the past, the important thing is you are making the effort now. I wish you well! Don't sweat it too much. A good way I think of first dates is that the person opposite you usually has the same worries and self consciousness about themselves so just be natural and don't psych yourself out.

How do you 'break in' to other people's social circles? Started a new part time retail job, first permanent role after searching for months and most of the new employees at the induction are mostly 20 somethings, so I have a decent opportunity here to meet like minded people. I know this isn't FriendAge, but I know better than to date colleagues, and you guys seem to know your stuff.

gwailo

Banned
How do you 'break in' to other people's social circles? Started a new part time retail job, first permanent role after searching for months and most of the new employees at the induction are mostly 20 somethings, so I have a decent opportunity here to meet like minded people. I know this isn't FriendAge, but I know better than to date colleagues, and you guys seem to know your stuff.

Just start talking with your co-workers and if you like each other, you'll get invited to after work activities. People bemoan retail (I did as well) but there is usually a decent amount of downtime where you can shoot the shit with your co-workers. It's pretty easy to find ice breakers, like "that customer is a dick".

When I worked retail, it was common for groups to meet up after work for drinks at Bennigan's or TGI Fridays (or whatever generic chain place) after work because they were close to the store. Not really exciting places to hang out, but it is a good way to bond with your co-workers and maybe find some friends. It was also pretty common for people to hook up, but just tread lightly around that. Everyone is gonna know your business.

This is a stupid question but i set up a 2nd date for friday. When and or what should i be texting her throughout the week? Im pretty bad at texting communications so i really try to limit them.

I am trying not to come off as being too cold.

torontoml

Don't dwell on the past, the important thing is you are making the effort now. I wish you well! Don't sweat it too much. A good way I think of first dates is that the person opposite you usually has the same worries and self consciousness about themselves so just be natural and don't psych yourself out.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying.

Second fairly specific question about this datedate. From her pics it appears she has a lazy eye, now she looks good everywhere else, I'm just worried about if I'll get distracted by it, anyone with suggestions on how not to be. And obviously I probably shouldn't bring it up right lol.

JCX

What's the nicest way to say you're not interested with someone who you had a perfectly fine date with but aren't interested in?

Jokab

What's the nicest way to say you're not interested with someone who you had a perfectly fine date with but aren't interested in?

"I had a great time but unfortunately I didn't feel a spark between us, sorry. Wish you good luck in the future!"

No reason to sugarcoat it any way other than the truth.

Jhoan

This is a stupid question but i set up a 2nd date for friday. When and or what should i be texting her throughout the week? Im pretty bad at texting communications so i really try to limit them.

I am trying not to come off as being too cold.
That's not a stupid question at all. In fact, it's a pretty common question in this thread and in the Online Dating thread. If she's initiating fluff conversation, then go the flow. I have a date tentatively set up for Friday with a girl who messaged me first on OKC. While I wasn't planning on doing it, in between texting banter has been happening organically. As long as it's light and flirtatious, it's cool. If it's personal questions being asked, then yeah I can see why it be a cause for concern as you'll run out of things to talk about. You can send a YouTube video or Click Hole article you thought was hilarious.

So I have a question that I would pitch in this thread. A girl I was supposed to meet up with tonight had to cancel tonight because she's working late at school. I'm not mad or anything since I met with my boss and I get to watch the iZombie season finale but I had a gut feeling she was going to can it.

We've been going back and forth for close to a month without meeting up now because either my schedule or hers hasn't worked out at all. However, my interest in meeting up her has waned over the weeks as I've met up with other girls. My question then is do I let it go and try one more time or more time to meet up or finally throw in the towel, speak to her as friends and move on. She didn't offer alternate date this time around by the way.

Today's Tuesday. Your date is Friday. You could probably go radio silent until Thursday, when you ask them how their week is going and to confirm the date. Or on Wednesday you could go "omg had the worst day at work ever. Tell you about it on Friday lol" or something.

I think you should at least try to set something up, because you never know. But a month is already too long to go without meeting up.

torontoml

Ok looking for a quick reply. I set the date up on Sunday for tonight at 8. I didn't text her yesterday and I sent her a text today around 630 to confirm it was still on.

She hasn't responded yet and 8 is in half an hour. Am I going to get stood up?

Should I have sent the confirmation text?

Edit: I'm still going to go just FYI

Dryk

"I had a great time but unfortunately I didn't feel a spark between us, sorry. Wish you good luck in the future!"

No reason to sugarcoat it any way other than the truth.
If you don't they'll probably end up in this thread trying to decipher it so yeah

I thought this chick had potential, but she flaked twice so... next! And then my friend (who is a huge troll and ass) throws salt at me by showing her Instagram from a day ago saying she was lonely and just wanted a man to love her. XD

w/e fellas

Girl I've been talking to all of a sudden hasn't been responding much and when she does it's mostly not on topic of what I was talking/asking about and sometimes doesn't even make sense (like they're not actual sentences). Weirdest interaction I've probably ever had. Feels like she suddenly become one of those emails where a Nigerian prince offers you money.

What do you mean?

I just say something like, "If you want to meet up for a date when you're free, let me know." It isn't angry, it isn't spiteful. Just let's them know that the ball is in their court. If they take me up on it, great. Otherwise, I've already forgotten about them by the time I hit send. I wouldn't have been talking to them if I didn't think they were someone I'd want to at least meet once, so I don't want to burn that bridge.

His conversations come with after-credits teasers for the next one. So like you'll tell someone "Oh yeah that's a good story, I'll tell you next time."

I generally inquire about the Avengers Initiative.

torontoml

I just say something like, "If you want to meet up for a date when you're free, let me know." It isn't angry, it isn't spiteful. Just let's them know that the ball is in their court. If they take me up on it, great. Otherwise, I've already forgotten about them by the time I hit send. I wouldn't have been talking to them if I didn't think they were someone I'd want to at least meet once, so I don't want to burn that bridge.

I generally inquire about the Avengers Initiative.
Yeah that's pretty much how I think things went. She messaged me, I said we should get together soon and she agreed. So after a night of texting banter, the next day I said we should meet Tuesday for a drink and she said yes. Then got stood up.

I'm significantly late getting into this game but, I really can't see where I fucked up here. Obviously I'm over thinking it and I know I should just let it go (and will quickly) but how can I correct shit when it seems like I'm doing the right things.

bluethree

Yeah that's pretty much how I think things went. She messaged me, I said we should get together soon and she agreed. So after a night of texting banter, the next day I said we should meet Tuesday for a drink and she said yes. Then got stood up.

I'm significantly late getting into this game but, I really can't see where I fucked up here. Obviously I'm over thinking it and I know I should just let it go (and will quickly) but how can I correct shit when it seems like I'm doing the right things.

There is no magic cheat code that prevents this from happening. Even if you get better at dating, shit happens, maybe she changed her mind or found someone she liked better. Nothing you can do but keep working on yourself and your dating skills in a general sense; trying hard to get one girl interested in you is almost always a recipe for failure.

Salamando

You may not have fucked up. That's the thing with dating...hell, that's the thing with life. You can do everything right and still things don't end up the way you planned. All you can do is keep movin' on.

torontoml

I think it would be easier if matches and availability were more common where I lived. My tinder app can go a day or more saying there are no new people, and even when there are its usually only one or two.

bluethree

I think it would be easier if matches and availability were more common where I lived. My tinder app can go a day or more saying there are no new people, and even when there are its usually only one or two.

Yeah, I totally understand that feeling. Living in an area that's bad for dating sucks. I didnt really date much for 2 years cause the area I lived in was the same - I was lucky to even see one or two girls on tinder a day, let alone match with anyone.

Well, then move somewhere else, if that's a priority for you. Basically, imagine the life you want and take steps each day to get there. Whether it is dating, jobs, hobbies, or whatever - only you can take command and get it where you want it.

Basically shialebouf.gif

@Bluethree - have you tried Coffee Meets Bagel? I'm pregaming some matches there for my Tokyo trip - seems to be somewhat popular.

torontoml

Well a job is the priority, however much I would like further my relationship experience, I need a job. I continue to look elsewhere for work but haven't had much luck.

gwailo

Banned
There are a ton of flakes in online dating. A lot of people will never actually go out on a date (already in a relationship, just looking, social anxiety, they don't look like their profile pics, just using OLD/chatting as a self-esteem boost, etc) but will do everything leading up to it and then ghost. That is why you don't put a lot of time and effort into people until you actually meet them in person. You didn't do anything wrong, you just have to develop a thick skin and be able to brush things like this off, which it sounds like you are doing.

I think I've been 'liked' on OKCupid by one of those flaky types, myself. Messaged her an hour ago and she hasn't replied even though she was online when I did that. An attractive girl finding me attractive is an encouraging sign regardless, so it's not like I care too much. I would like to get some solid dates in before my next birthday, which is scarily creeping up closer and closer as the weeks go by so I don't feel socially stunted or something. Was it the stupid biology pick up line that I used as a joke because she studied the same degree subject that I did that fucked everything up?

JCX

I think I've been 'liked' on OKCupid by one of those flaky types, myself. Messaged her an hour ago and she hasn't replied even though she was online when I did that. An attractive girl finding me attractive is an encouraging sign regardless, so it's not like I care too much. I would like to get some solid dates in before my next birthday, which is scarily creeping up closer and closer as the weeks go by so I don't feel socially stunted or something. Was it the stupid biology pick up line that I used as a joke because she studied the same degree subject that I did that fucked everything up?

OKC has been mostly dead for me. I have my first OKC date tomorrow though, so that finally worked I guess.

I really do feel like a lot of online dating is just people with profiles up for confidence boosting.

gwailo

Banned

Don't be one of those people that freaks out if people don't get back to you right away, it makes you look clingy/needy/jealous/snoopy. An hour is nothing to worry about. Just move on in the meantime, don't sit and look at your phone every 2 minutes to see if she is online and/or has replied.

I asked someone if they wanted to go out Friday but haven't heard back about a time. Should I text them again or not bother? I think I've asked twice but maybe it was only once.

n64coder

I'm just struggling internally in that I feel like I'm disposable at any moment notice.

This is true for most every person. Forget that you looked at her account. Log out of it on her phone. Just be yourself and make sure you uphold your end of the relationship.

Hi guys think I might have fucked up here.

A couple of days ago my girlfriend run out of battery in her phone and asked to borrow my phone to browse her email and check her Facebook.

Fast forward today and I go to Facebook and surprised to see her still logged in on my phone. For some reason I decide to check her messages. (I know I know, don't need to tell me huge fucking assahole move). Anyway I notice that a lot of random guys keep messaging her constantly --- obviously trying to hit on her. For her part she talks a little but stops before it gets super flirty. However she still keeps these messages and doesn't delete them. Even old convos from old ex's. Maybe she uses it as a confidence booster maybe not.

My problem here lies not that she's cheating emotionally or anything like that but more about the reason of my self esteem. My gf is attractive and she could have any guy to choose from as witnessed by countless messages I saw on there. I knew girls get tons of messages from guys but had no idea it was this much and so aggressive. It makes me feel uneasy.

I'm just struggling internally in that I feel like I'm disposable at any moment notice. If if fuck up or have a argument there will be hundreds of dudes waiting to pounce. The Facebook messages confirmed what I've always known that I'm one step away from another guy taking my place. Clearly I've got some deep issues. I just don't want to be cheated on. If a girl ever tries to flirt with me or send a me messages I immediately shut them down. Why can't some girls do the same?
Ehhhhh, you're being weird about this. I've honestly never deleted messages from Facebook, I never knew you could and really don't care to spend the energy to figure it out. I don't reread them out anything else, they're just there so I think it's weird that she doesn't delete Facebook messages of all things as a red flag. Sometimes ignoring is easier than turning down. People don't always take being turned down well and you don't know if she works with him or something else where it's better to act cordial respond to a message once in a blue moon than telling someone off.

And of course you're replaceable, everyone is if one person so decides it. It's just the way it is.

A couple of days ago my girlfriend run out of battery in her phone and asked to borrow my phone to browse her email and check her Facebook.

Fast forward today and I go to Facebook and surprised to see her still logged in on my phone. For some reason I decide to check her messages. (I know I know, don't need to tell me huge fucking assahole move). Anyway I notice that a lot of random guys keep messaging her constantly --- obviously trying to hit on her. For her part she talks a little but stops before it gets super flirty. However she still keeps these messages and doesn't delete them. Even old convos from old ex's. Maybe she uses it as a confidence booster maybe not.

My problem here lies not that she's cheating emotionally or anything like that but more about the reason of my self esteem. My gf is attractive and she could have any guy to choose from as witnessed by countless messages I saw on there. I knew girls get tons of messages from guys but had no idea it was this much and so aggressive. It makes me feel uneasy.

I'm just struggling internally in that I feel like I'm disposable at any moment notice. If if fuck up or have a argument there will be hundreds of dudes waiting to pounce. The Facebook messages confirmed what I've always known that I'm one step away from another guy taking my place. Clearly I've got some deep issues. I just don't want to be cheated on. If a girl ever tries to flirt with me or send a me messages I immediately shut them down. Why can't some girls do the same?

Arnie, first off -- it's really fucking annoying to delete messages on Facebook unless you use a Chrome extension, so keep that in mind. Anyway, your problem speaks to me. You ultimately have two choices:

(1) Be happy that your incredibly desirable girlfriend chooses to be with you; or

(2) Internally whine about it constantly, continue to violate her trust, fall into a black hole of anxiety, and lose her.

The way you're dealing with this situation is unhealthy and wrong. I also completely empathize. My girlfriend is a 10 -- physically, mentally, and just personality-wise. I know she's dated high-caliber men: all of her previous boyfriends have been super attractive, and they were all incredibly successful. I went through the same mental gymnastics you're going through. Ultimately, I concluded that being jealous of literally nothing (because there wasn't even another guy in the picture) was stupid, and that I ought to just dedicate my efforts to self-improvement. She's the first girl I've ever been with that I initially felt a little unconfident around, so I had some work to do.

Your girlfriend hasn't cheated on you. You're right that this is all about your self-esteem. So start doing things to improve it. And remember that you don't get to decide if you're "worthy" of her. She does. But, buddy, you need to be worthy of yourself.

Llyranor

1) I've never deleted any message from FB, even dumb stuff I don't care about. It's a non-issue.

2) She could have 'any guy' and chose you. This should be a confidence booster. Don't let it drag you down and sabotage the relationship. You need to recognize that you are the incarnation of awesome and that all those other guys are scrubs.

Starviper

Had a pretty shit day; broke things off with this girl i'd been seeing for some time now. We've been in a pretty rough patch lately and today everything kinda hit a wall, so to speak.

She told me Monday she had the next three days pretty much free. So.. Yesterday I brought over some roses in a vase as like, sorry for the difficulty? Talked and cuddled for a bit but she had some meeting for the convention shes staff on and wanted to clean the apartment or something so I took off, said we could hang out later. Never did - she was feeling stressed and worked early today anyways. So okay. Picked her up at 2, was a perfect day out. Asked if she wanted to go to a nice park downtown, said we could bring her dog. She wanted to shave quick, so sat down on the couch and then she starts checking her Twitter and tumblr and after a bit I'm like.. Weren't you gonna shave?

Well, then she was tired from work so.. Laid around until like 3:30. She started moving, asked if she was awake. Said "No, if you wanna go you can go".. So I didn't say anything, looks at me and asks why I look upset. Tells me I can go again so I get up and leave. Got a call after I get home asking why I'm so mad. Turns into arguing. Told her I wanna break up. She says "over the phone?" So I end up going back over to do it in person.

Along with all that her meeting was actually today. She said that as we got to her place originally and I asked if I'f see her later. "depends how late it goes" is what she said. Later on when I came back to handle things in person she'd said the plan was to bring the equipment over. Also didn't know a co-worker died and that's why she was stressed. I didn't know because it wasn't mentioned until this point; apparently that was on her twitter. I'd been avoiding being on social media for the week as a sort of personal test.

Had a pretty shit day; broke things off with this girl i'd been seeing for some time now. We've been in a pretty rough patch lately and today everything kinda hit a wall, so to speak.

She told me Monday she had the next three days pretty much free. So.. Yesterday I brought over some roses in a vase as like, sorry for the difficulty? Talked and cuddled for a bit but she had some meeting for the convention shes staff on and wanted to clean the apartment or something so I took off, said we could hang out later. Never did - she was feeling stressed and worked early today anyways. So okay. Picked her up at 2, was a perfect day out. Asked if she wanted to go to a nice park downtown, said we could bring her dog. She wanted to shave quick, so sat down on the couch and then she starts checking her Twitter and tumblr and after a bit I'm like.. Weren't you gonna shave?

Well, then she was tired from work so.. Laid around until like 3:30. She started moving, asked if she was awake. Said "No, if you wanna go you can go".. So I didn't say anything, looks at me and asks why I look upset. Tells me I can go again so I get up and leave. Got a call after I get home asking why I'm so mad. Turns into arguing. Told her I wanna break up. She says "over the phone?" So I end up going back over to do it in person.

On top of all that she didn't have that meeting last night. Guess that was actually today. She said that was we got to her place originally and I asked if I'll see her later. Said "depends how late it goes" then later on when I came back to break up in person she's saying she was just gonna bring her laptop over.. Also a co-worker died and that's why she was stressed. I had no idea cause she never told me. Apparently that was on her twitter. :|

If a girl says "if you wanna go, you can go," leaving is never the right answer.

To be honest, throughout this post, you sound really emotionally insensitive. Obviously, she's not exactly a champ at disclosing what's on her mind either, but she was dropping signs left and right. I'm just gonna drop some questions and maybe it'll spur some thought.

If you knew things were spotty and she blocked three days to spend time with you, why would you leave instead of make more time for her and, maybe, help her clean her apartment?

When you returned the following day, after knowing that she was already stressed, why did you criticize her slowness in leaving her place?

Again, you were giving off signs of agitation or annoyance (our partners can read this in us pretty easily), which prompted her to ask why you were angry. What did you say in response? And then, why did you go?

How do you go from bringing over roses one day and wanting to break up the next?

Why do you think she didn't open up to you about a major stressor in her life like her co-worker dying?

I couldn't follow your last paragraph, because it doesn't really make much sense. You tell her over the phone that you want to break up, then you're unsure as to when her meeting is, but you ask if you'll see her later (after telling her that you want to end things), and then you visit her place and dump her in person?

This is only from one post, and I'm sure that there were other difficulties in your relationship, but it sounds like you ignored her feelings, were oblivious to signs she was dropping, didn't make her feel comfortable enough to open up to you, and were quick to retreat whenever something inconvenient happened. Basically, these are the hallmarks of not being ready for a real relationship. So maybe that's it.

Tsukumo

On top of all that she didn't have that meeting last night. Guess that was actually today. She said that was we got to her place originally and I asked if I'll see her later. Said "depends how late it goes" then later on when I came back to break up in person she's saying she was just gonna bring her laptop over.. Also a co-worker died and that's why she was stressed. I had no idea cause she never told me. Apparently that was on her twitter. :|

Good thing you broke it off. She was dismissive and probably trying to get you to break up with her. She would have done that herself soon if you hadn't.

Starviper

I 100% appreciate the feedback and questions. I'm still feeling frustrated, which might show in my message.

If you knew things were spotty and she blocked three days to spend time with you, why would you leave instead of make more time for her and, maybe, help her clean her apartment?

I made it pretty clear the prior night i'd be happy to see her and do something but she wanted that time to handle things at her place. She's still living with her ex, and was stressing about having too much stuff. I thought she'd cleaned it up and it only came back up after i'd come back over after we'd argued. We just hung out in the living room so I didn't know there was still something to do.

When you returned the following day, after knowing that she was already stressed, why did you criticize her slowness in leaving her place?

I didn't know she was stressed still. She called / texted me before she went to bed the prior night saying she was feeling better, and before we got to her place and napped things seemed okay. I had slept during the time that she was at work, so instead of napping I was more or less just waiting.

Again, you were giving off signs of agitation or annoyance (our partners can read this in us pretty easily), which prompted her to ask why you were angry. What did you say in response? And then, why did you go?

Yeah, I was agitated. She'd said her meeting was tonight instead of having been handled the prior night like I thought, and when I asked her if i'd see her later she said "It depends how late it goes" which I took as her not wanting to hang out. We napped for like an hour and a half and when I asked her if she was awake I got that "If you want to go you can go" as a response. I didn't say anything, but she could definitely tell I was bothered by it. She said it again so at that point I said alright and I got up and left.

How do you go from bringing over roses one day and wanting to break up the next?

Like I said, we'd been having issues where we're almost always arguing lately and it's been really stressful. I do recognize that some of the problem lies with me. I brought roses the prior day as an apology and it seemed to go well, but then we ended up not seeing each other. Combine that with how today went and things hit a point where I didn't feel things would get better.

Why do you think she didn't open up to you about a major stressor in her life like her co-worker dying?

You know, I was wondering that myself. To be honest I challenged myself this week to stop looking at social media to gauge how big of an influence it plays in my life. She'd posted that her coworker died on Twitter but never told me directly, so I didn't really know that was something on her mind at all. She opened up to me about it after everything went down, but at the same time I feel like I shouldn't have to go look at her social media pages to know what's going on in her life.

I couldn't follow your last paragraph, because it doesn't really make much sense. You tell her over the phone that you want to break up, then you're unsure as to when her meeting is, but you ask if you'll see her later (after telling her that you want to end things), and then you visit her place and dump her in person?

Totally understandable, I typed it up kinda quickly. She had thought her meeting was yesterday when it was actually today. She told me as we were getting to her place originally, and I asked if i'd see her later. That's when she said "It depends how late it goes". Later on after we argued and I came back over she said she said she was just going to bring her equipment to my place anyways.

This is only from one post, and I'm sure that there were other difficulties in your relationship, but it sounds like you ignored her feelings, were oblivious to signs she was dropping, didn't make her feel comfortable enough to open up to you, and were quick to retreat whenever something inconvenient happened. Basically, these are the hallmarks of not being ready for a real relationship. So maybe that's it.

There is some truth to this. All of what I said is just from my point of view, and i'm sure if someone asked her she'd say something along these lines. I do like her a lot, but the constant arguing really has gotten to me. Thinking back on it, I feel like I should have stayed and stated flat out why I was upset but I know doing so would have only upset her more and we'd be mad at each other rather than broken up.

I have that really uncertain feeling going on right now where I don't know if I made a huge mistake or if it was the best thing to do for both of us to be happy.

So the girl I've been "seeing" for about two months now had her first week at her internship for her degree. I went to a local florist near her house and ordered a nice flower arrangement to have delivered to her house on Friday as a congrats thing. I know first weeks in a new place can be stressful so I thought it would be cute and brighten her day a bit. I did this Tuesday so I'm anxious so see what she says tomorrow :p

Jokab

So the girl I've been "seeing" for about two months now had her first week at her internship for her degree. I went to a local florist near her house and ordered a nice flower arrangement to have delivered to her house on Friday as a congrats thing. I know first weeks in a new place can be stressful so I thought it would be cute and brighten her day a bit. I did this Tuesday so I'm anxious so see what she says tomorrow :p

Honestly, for me, this sounds a bit too much for two months. Of course it depends on your relationship, but going by what I've had with other girls I wouldn't do this after two months. Not that you fucked up, just a bit too much for me. Do tell us what her reaction was though, I'm curious.

Honestly, for me, this sounds a bit too much for two months. Of course it depends on your relationship, but going by what I've had with other girls I wouldn't do this after two months. Not that you fucked up, just a bit too much for me. Do tell us what her reaction was though, I'm curious.
Ya haha that's why I'm curious myself. I mean we talk every day, she spends the weekends, we are going to a wedding next week together. I felt comfortable enough on where we are to do it, especially since comitting to a wedding with me seemed way more risky than sending some flowers. We will see though haha! I will report back to let others know what to or to not do in the same situation :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom