• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating App GAF: Anything that makes you quickly "swipe left" on somebody?

I've done pretty well in my dating life. Attractive, smart women, blah blah blah. But ultimately they all had some sort fatal flaw that was a major deal breaker, which is why I'm still not married.

Anyway when browsing through dating apps and going through the dozens of lame profiles, there are some criteria I use to personally filter some women out very quickly:

- Obviously if they aren't attractive to me. They don't have to be runway models but there are some basics -- no whales, no busted ass faces, etc. All that bullshit about "oh it's only the beauty on the inside that counts"... Anyone deluding themselves with that is in for a rough awakening
- If I see pictures of them doing performative protest stuff (which apparently is popular in my city)
- If I see certain words or phrases:
"Social justice" (this is an immediate, "don't even bother looking at the rest of the profile" disqualifier)
"Patriarchy"
"Feminist"
... and any words or phrases of that ilk
- If every picture is a giant group picture where I can't even tell who the hell the one chick is, because they all look like generic pharmacy blondes 😂
- Obviously fake profiles -- usually plastic/almost anime looking Asian chicks. Have no idea why that's even a thing, but it's prominent in a couple of apps

There are some other minor annoying things (like the prominent use of the word "adulting") but they're not deal breakers.

For those of you who use dating apps - what things make you immediately disqualify a candidate?

EDIT: to state the obvious -- mods, if this topic is inappropriate for discussion, feel free to shut the thread down.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I reject automatically -
Terms in profile: marxist, activist (any communist types)
Hair : hair colour
Height : I prefer taller guys so no under 6' (I'm that height)
Penis : uncut

What gets my attention -
Hair : love bald guys
Weight : I prefer stocky guys
Height : 6'4"+
Penis : 8"+

Last edited:
I reject automatically -

What gets my attention -
So with those criteria, do you have to eliminate a lot of guys from your potential pool? Or it's not that bad?

Some of my criteria eliminate a good 70% of chicks in my city 😂

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I reject automatically -

What gets my attention -
Wonder what is amount of your right swipes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- Under 35 or over 48
- Too tall
- Too fat
- Too ugly
- Materialistic vibe
- Dumb ass surgery (giant lips, ass, cheek bones etc....)
- Anything to do with face piercings, tattoos, nose rings, pink/green hair
- Anyone with blatant filters/photoshop
- Weed/drug users
- Smokers unless she is ultra hot

- Under 35 or over 48
- Too tall
- Too fat
- Too ugly
- Materialistic vibe
- Dumb ass surgery (giant lips, ass, cheek bones etc....)
- Anything to do with face piercings, tattoos, nose rings, pink/green hair
- Anyone with blatant filters/photoshop
- Weed/drug users
- Smokers unless she is ultra hot
Oh yeah I forgot about the pink/green hair thing. I used to be more OK with that kind of thing, but these days it's not just a hair color, it comes across with a certain mentality that I don't align with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh yeah I forgot about the pink/green hair thing. I used to be more OK with that kind of thing, but these days it's not just a hair color, it comes across with a certain mentality that I don't align with.
Anything to do with the hard liberal look I avoid. Also that relates to another hair issue I avoid. Women with really short hair/shaved heads. I like my women with shoulder length hair at minimum.

Not saying someone with short hair cant be good looking, but for me she's got to be very hot to pull off short hair and be in the same league as an attractive woman who has long hair.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
About 2-3 a day. I don't like compromises thus I'd never be able to be enamoured with someone if there's an aspect I don't like. People judge me as harshly so I don't take it personal.
Nah just question about statistic, not shaming preferences : )

Materialistic
full of surgeries
Got way too many followers on social media
Only date a certain height
Being in that woke bullshit (i don't have time for that crap but i don't have nothing against it)
Too many kids
Wait... "Too many kids?" What's the cutoff?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
So with those criteria, do you have to eliminate a lot of guys from your potential pool? Or it's not that bad?

Some of my criteria eliminate a good 70% of chicks in my city 😂
Not that bad. Living in a rural area, I found more guys I like in a small town. In a big city you have the LGBTBBQ types which I can't stand. I'd rather have the redneck closet cases. I do have sex with guys that aren't my type, but I don't see dating potential in those.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Probably because i don't have kids on my own yet and i would prefer to be with someone who doesn't have kids too
if she got one kid , i don't mind. But 2 and 3 kids ehhhh...
I dated someone for 5 years with a kid and it was just horrible. At my age, even if they have kids, they're mostly adults.

chromhound

Not that bad. Living in a rural area, I found more guys I like in a small town. In a big city you have the LGBTBBQ types which I can't stand. I'd rather have the redneck closet cases. I do have sex with guys that aren't my type, but I don't see dating potential in those.
i prefer dating people from other cities and kinda far. i know that people from my circle didn't sleep with that person lol

Zeroing

Banned
i prefer dating people from other cities and kinda far. i know that people from my circle didn't sleep with that person lol
Oh I also do that! Everyone slept with each other and talk crap about each other and I’m always on the middle. Now imagine the nightmare when I moved to a small island! Ahah it’s impossible to not get caught in people feuds etc.

nush

Gold Member
- If every picture is a giant group picture where I can't even tell who the hell the one chick is,

It's always the least attractive one.

I remember some things from when I used the apps that made me nope out. If she has a set of pictures and she looks good in some and terrible in others, I'm not taking the risk the uggo version girl will be the one that arrives at the date.

If they ask how much you earn, no matter how subtle they think they are being asking I'm out.

If they want you to talk on another platform because "I'm not on here much", they are just looking to boost social media followers.

If they ask too many questions about my divorce, it's like I feel they are trying to work out how the divorce must have been your fault or that you're lying. That level of mistrust isn't going to get any better if you end up in a relationship with them, so blocked.

If she's unemployed.

If she's only responsive to messaging 9-5 Mon-Fri, means you're just there to entertain her when she's bored at work.

MDSLKTR

OdNKAP4.jpg

Last edited:
It's always the least attractive one.
LMAO... So true.
I remember some things from when I used the apps that made me nope out. If she has a set of pictures and she looks good in some and terrible in others, I'm not taking the risk the uggo version girl will be the one that arrives at the date.
YES. Unless for some reason the chick isn't photogenic, her BEST picture online is the best she's ever gonna look 😂

If they ask how much you earn, no matter how subtle they think they are being asking I'm out.

If they want you to talk on another platform because "I'm not on here much", they are just looking to boost social media followers.

If they ask too many questions about my divorce, it's like I feel they are trying to work out how the divorce must have been your fault or that you're lying. That level of mistrust isn't going to get any better if you end up in a relationship with them, so blocked.

If she's unemployed.

If she's only responsive to messaging 9-5 Mon-Fri, means you're just there to entertain her when she's bored at work.
All good reasons...

Mistake

Single moms, too political, potheads, bbw/curvy/plus sized (fat). That’s about it. Doesn’t help they let a bunch of freaks call themselves women which you also need to swipe through. Not worth the trouble, so I quit

FCKAFD

Basically everything that is a hint for borderline or narcisstic women. I learned my lesson the hard way try avoid these disordered people yes you can have the moments that you wont forget and learn a lot about yourself but in the end its not worth the drama and and losing faith in humanity which will happen eventually be it after a month or after a year

here is what you have to look for: Different appearence on every picture (different or unnatural hair colors, gotten fatter over time which is a hint of psycho medication or eating disorder), drugs, very active on social media, photo filters, getting sexual very quickly / kissing on the first date, unsure in sexual identity, tattoos / piercings, oversharing private information on the first chat, talking bad about previous partners like its all their fault (guess whos next), hints at love at the first sight or soul partnership, overly sexual clothing / pictures, feminist, weird fetishes, probably pseudo left wing / slut culture / social justice ideology, self harm / cutting, meeting on the first day (hint for impulsivity), constantly using words like always or never, everything, nothing, talking about symbiosis, weird stare / black eyes, crying, making a mountain out of a molehill drama because of nothing etc. When it comes to the first date when you have the feeling of knowing this person for weeks dont tell them where you live dont meet with them ever gain its too good to be true. Dont fall for the love bombing and acting innocent and helpless. With this knowledge you can dodge a bullet.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Why would you rather have closet cases? I'd rather go out and do things in public with my partner.

JCK75

I remember using Match like 20 years ago and it was awesome, rich with interesting people..
now that I'm 47 it's a depressing hellscape.

What I hate is "Spiritual but not religious"
Like be Athiest, be Agnostic, be Religious.. but fuck that spirtual shit.

Top Bottom