• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones | Out Now on Netflix

ShadowNate

Watched it. Laughed loud at bits, it was great.

I thought he was making a pretty clear point that *people* can be unprovoked (or misguided) assholes, himself too at times, but that doesn't say anything about entire groups -- unless we're talking about mobs of course.

Movements can be misguided, even if well-meaning. Being polite means sometimes that you're not being honest. Or equivalently, don't throw what you perceive as "honesty" at people's faces (let alone strangers), when honesty is something you're scared shitless of. And so on.

He doesn't really say something the audience does not know (hopefully), but the trends and what passes for "correct" behaviour these days feel and arguably are backwards, so he builds clever / poignant comedy on that.

It's good that I can still depend on these specials for a laugh.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
critics thought they could tell audiences Dave Chappelle isn't funny and they should not enjoy the work of a world famous comedian.

the same critics would call this wave of negative reviews of a popular black figure a form of racism. the irony being it actually promoted and attracted more attention to the show.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I thought it was great. My eyes teared up as he started talking about Daphne Dorman...the transgender comedian who was one of Dave's biggest fans and a close friend before she ended her life...most likely because of abuse she faced from the trans 'community' attacking her for her love and support for Dave. :lollipop_pensive: 💔

TIOiqN6.png

Last edited:
I thought it was great. My eyes teared up as he started talking about Daphne Dorman...the transgender comedian who was one of Dave's biggest fans and a close friend before she ended her life...most likely because of abuse she faced from the trans 'community' attacking her for her love and support for Dave. :lollipop_pensive: 💔

TIOiqN6.png

Hypocrites who don't understand comedy, imo.

Raven117

Gold Member

TIOiqN6.png

Geesh. Just horrible. You would think that folks that are historically discriminated against would have some compassion for other people who just want to do what is right by them. Anecdotally, it seems this is often not the case.

Freeman76

The closer was amazing, and really drives home some massively important points. Funny also, a thread was made on era, and one user very rightly posted the overarching point of Daves show, that he can talk about white, jews, paedos, women etc etc, and yet the only snowflake movement that gets offended is these fucking inclusivity cunts. Suffice to say that user is now banned, and thus highilights the entire problem in the flesh. Dave is right, and he also clearly has no issue with the idea of Trans culture, clearly a lot of them are just too fucked up and precious to read between the lines, or realise empathy is a two way street. If anyone is punching down, it's them.

Last edited:

Puncheur

I thought it was a great special. And he pretty much laid it out that all the bullshit protection status in the oppression olympics the Alphabet mafia has attained over Black People.

We're gonna have to add more letters to the alphabet given the rate at which the alphabet people's acronym is expanding. It's a watered down meaningless joke now. Every grievance monger can claim victimhood status now. Old school LGBs must be pissed.
Looking forward to watching the special tonight.

critics thought they could tell audiences Dave Chappelle isn't funny and they should not enjoy the work of a world famous comedian.

the same critics would call this wave of negative reviews of a popular black figure a form of racism. the irony being it actually promoted and attracted more attention to the show.

They only count black people as black if they act how they're supposed to act (rhyme not intended but I like it).

Or to paraphrase a powerful world leader.... "You ain't black..." ...

TIOiqN6.png

Glad my office door is closed cause now I'm crying.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It was good. I've watched his other specials multiple times, because not only are they hilarious, but they give you something to chew on, agree or disagree.

My only issue is it sort of seems like he buys his own hype a bit much. He talks about Jenner like they could transition because of white privilege, but it seems more like celebrity privilege, to me. He also makes a big deal out of walking away from $50m, as if he wasn't already filthy rich and famous enough to make it back in no time, were he to choose.

Not trying to go too hard on Dave. I'm a big fan. He's just outspoken, so it gets discussion going.

Vaelka

The Closer made me smile a couple of times, nothing more.

I'm a huge Chappelle fan but he spent too much time justifying/explaining/trying to reach out to the LGBTQ community.

He's still a Legend.

I listened to it yesterday and that was my thought too, if anything it just felt awkward.
There was even a point towards the end with the big story he told where it was complete silence for a really long time it felt more like someone talking about their addiction at rehab or something not a comedy show.

Dave Chappelle is really funny but The Closer just felt weird, there were some okay jokes but most of it was just awkward and revolved too much around LGBTQ.

John Bilbo

I think it was pretty funny. Dave Chappelle makes fun of all identity groups and that way alleviates tension between individuals.

Vaelka

I think it was pretty funny. Dave Chappelle makes fun of all identity groups and that way alleviates tension between individuals.

It feels a bit weird tho when like 1+ hours is spent on one group.
If he did a comedy show where it was just him making '' white people jokes '' then I'd think it'd be pretty weird too.
And it kinda just gets old after a while, jokes revolving around the same thing for over an hour kinda stops being funny at some point.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
It's obviously not on the same level but I was reminded of Lenny Bruce just ranting onstage about his court battles near the end of his career.

John Bilbo

It feels a bit weird tho when like 1+ hours is spent on one group.
If he did a comedy show where it was just him making '' white people jokes '' then I'd think it'd be pretty weird too.
And it kinda just gets old after a while, jokes revolving around the same thing for over an hour kinda stops being funny at some point.
He made fun of all different kinds of identity groups though: whites, blacks, men, women, straights, gays, jews, trans, feminists... was there also a chinese joke there? Not sure, am bit drunk.

I think it is also important to note that LGBTQIA+ is a collection of different identity groups, not just one identity group. I know the "alphabet people" are often presented as if they are of one identity, but I think in presenting them this way can be a mistake: being a gay man is way different than being a lesbian woman. Also trans is not a sexual orientation but a whole different identity.

If LGBTQIA+ people are seen as one group I think the binding tissue between these different identity groups is worldview or ideology rather than actually the identities that the letters stand for.

Vaelka

Dave shits on white people probably more than any other group. We’re not complaining

I am not complaining nor am I offended, I am just saying that I personally thought the show was awkward and felt like it revolved too much around it.
I honestly can't even remember a joke that didn't have to do with it or wasn't connected to it in some way.
Even the jokes he made about black and white people were still connected to it.

I think the amount of awkward silences kinda speaks volumes too there really wasn't that much great laughter from the crowd and there was a ton of long periods of silence.
It's not about being offended it's just about it feeling like the show was more about him venting about people giving him shit because of some social issue and it felt really repetitive.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I am not complaining nor am I offended, I am just saying that I personally thought the show was awkward and felt like it revolved too much around it.
I honestly can't even remember a joke that didn't have to do with it or wasn't connected to it in some way.
Even the jokes he made about black and white people were still connected to it.

I think the amount of awkward silences kinda speaks volumes too there really wasn't that much great laughter from the crowd and there was a ton of long periods of silence.
It's not about being offended it's just about it feeling like the show was more about him venting about people giving him shit because of some social issue.
I tend to find the groans have more to do with the audience not being able to deal with something they know is true but don’t like it. People have brought up Bill Hicks in here, one of the GOATs, because he got the same reactions sometimes. But he was amazing.

Larlight

Saw it and it was fantastic. Title of the special makes sense since he won't be doing a special for a while and addressed all his critics perfectly. His critics have a hard time attacking him in a meaningful way because they literally praised him not too long ago and now see he doesn't just blindfully agree with everything the reeeeee crowd does.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Several jokes had me laughing out loud. It had a touching ending. It was also nice to see another celebrity defend J.K. Rowling, who's comments on trans people is really tame, rational, and understandable, even if one happens to disagree with her. And yet many people on the internet talk about her as if she had committed actual physical violence against every trans person on the planet.

Anyways, maybe Dave will finally return to television in some way now. Even if only as a producer making an occasional guest appearance.

NahaNago

This transgender talk in the show pretty much dominated the comedy routine and made the show somewhat boring. I still got about 20 minutes left of the show but this has been nowhere near as good as the other netflix stand ups.

That Daphne portion was the best part of the show.

Is the super serious almost angry talk now a regular portion of his show?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I think that's because he isn't meaning it in a hurtful way. Playful and everyone knows it is playful... Using stereotypes and turning them on their heads so everyone is in on the joke.
The question people need to ask is: do you think for one second Dave wouldn’t befriend someone for being white? LGBTQ? Any of the people he’s supposedly hating on? I think the answer is obviously no. He makes jokes and points out the absurdity of our condition, and that’s a good thing and brings people together (if they’re not idiots )

belmarduk

Several jokes had me laughing out loud. It had a touching ending. It was also nice to see another celebrity defend J.K. Rowling, who's comments on trans people is really tame, rational, and understandable, even if one happens to disagree with her. And yet many people on the internet talk about her as if she had committed actual physical violence against every trans person on the planet.

Anyways, maybe Dave will finally return to television in some way now. Even if only as a producer making an occasional guest appearance.

Dave isn't done. A few angry malcontents online can get someone banned from Resetera but it won't affect his career. This is his thing and he's a master of it. He had a deal for four shows with Netflix and this was his final one for them.. that's all.

Atrus

Gold Member
Watched this tonight and thought it was great entertainment, not quite as good as some of his other Netflix specials but still great.

Folks that get upset over the jokes he’s telling don’t seem to be really listening.

TIOiqN6.png

100% agreed. I can often be an emotional brick, but that part was sincere and heartfelt. I need to watch it again because I couldn't quite tell if Chappelle himself was holding back tears/getting choked up.

I didn't care for much of the rest of The Closer special (it's the weakest of all of his Netflix specials), but the Daphne segment is A+.

May she rest in peace.

belmarduk

I love how The Closer has actually moved up in the Netflix top 10 to #3. Maybe it won't overtake The Squid Game but clearly the campaign against Chapelle is not working.

TIOiqN6.png

My eyes were starting to tear up in that part too, until he changed gears and told a joke.
He really is a master story teller.

What I got out of this, is he is supposed to be transphobic but he actually is helping the daughter of a trans suicide victim.
And gave visibility to the suicide problem in the trans community, and made probably millions of people tear up thinking about Daphne Dorman.
Meanwhile all of those people who pretend to be trans rights sjws have probably never done shit for trans people, and just use them to bully others and feel morally superior. Heck, they even bullied Daphne to death.

So who is the actual transphobe here?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My eyes were starting to tear up in that part too, until he changed gears and told a joke.
He really is a master story teller.

What I got out of this, is he is supposed to be transphobic but he actually is helping the daughter of a trans suicide victim.
And gave visibility to the suicide problem in the trans community, and made probably millions of people tear up thinking about Daphne Dorman.
Meanwhile all of those people who pretend to be trans rights sjws have probably never done shit for trans people, and just use them to bully others and feel morally superior. Heck, they even bullied Daphne to death.

So who is the actual transphobe here?

It has always been the slacktivists. They don't care about helping people. They aren't activists. They are sad little people who rely on the internet and social media to make themselves feel better. They are egotistical narcissists who only want to present themselves as caring while actually being full of hate.

Its why anyone who calls themselves "SJW" or promotes the "Good" they do on any social media should be looked at with major skepticism as they are more than likely genuinely terrible human beings.

KAL2006

Banned
I remember watching a news anchors talk about his first or 2nd one he did for Netflix. And one person said they were a fan of his and now think he crossed the line. Then another black woman in the channel basically said so you were laughing when he was making fun of R Kelly and his black raoe victims, you were laughing when he joked about Jews, you were laughing when he joked about etc etc, but now you think he cross the line. Is there are heiriachy who should we laugh about and who is more important?

bender

What time is it?
Watched it yesterday. I'm a massive Chapelle fan but the through lines in his storytelling felt like the weakest of any of his sets I can remember. I was also a little put off by the inferred proclamation that he is the GOAT. While that is certainly an argument to be had, that argument shouldn't be from him. The last third of the set was great and while it made the set worth watching, it just shows how weak the first two-thirds were.

Bill Hicks is the GOAT.

p.s. His suit was terrible as were those kicks.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Watched it yesterday. I'm a massive Chapelle fan but the through lines in his storytelling felt like the weakest of any of his sets I can remember. I was also a little put off by the inferred proclamation that he is the GOAT. While that is certainly an argument to be had, that argument shouldn't be from him. The last third of the set was great and while it made the set worth watching, it just shows how weak the first two-thirds were.

Bill Hicks is the GOAT.

p.s. His suit was terrible as were those kicks.

His suit was pretty terrible. Kicks were fine.

and George Carlin would like a word

Jaysen

Banned
This transgender talk in the show pretty much dominated the comedy routine and made the show somewhat boring. I still got about 20 minutes left of the show but this has been nowhere near as good as the other netflix stand ups.

That Daphne portion was the best part of the show.

Is the super serious almost angry talk now a regular portion of his show?
Not usually. This was just a terrible set by a bitter old man who can’t stand being admonished for being hateful. There’s much more evidence though that he’s actually an incredibly talented comic, orator, and storyteller. This set was just a lone turd in a pool of Baby Ruth’s.

Enjay

Banned
lol calling it now, Dave Chappelle will either be caught having an affair with a transgendered or become one himself. This obsession of his goes back a long way (remember him walking away from his show over dressphobia).

Top Bottom