• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe claims he rejected $100m Tencent deal ‘because I want nothing to do with them’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking on the Sacred Symbols+ podcast (paywalled, transcribed by VGC), the director of the original God of War discussed how he felt uncomfortable dealing with the company after receiving an offer from it.

“I had a $100 million deal,” he claimed. “I was courted by a Chinese company… and I said ‘no thank you’… because you’re Tencent and I want nothing to do with you.

“It was bad because it was the western Tencent, and it was a western guy that I respect that was calling me and I wasn’t trying to shame the guy. I hope he’s got thick enough skin, and he’s been an executive in the business way longer than I have, but I was just like ‘man, I don’t want to do business with a company like that, with a government like that.'”

Later in the podcast, as Moriarty and Jaffe discussed the increase in money being invested in studios across the industry, Jaffe elaborated on some of the reasons why he turned down the Tencent deal.

“Stop killing people,” he said. “Again, people will be like, ‘America’s hands aren’t clean’, no they are not clean at all but we’re also not, you know, we all have a system that if we actually gave a shit, we could change it.

“In China, you just get picked up off the street if you go online and say something bad about the police or the government or anything and who knows when they’ll see you again. That’s not even mentioning if you’re a fucking Uyghur.”

UPDATE: Following the publication of this story, Jaffe also shared what appears to be correspondence with the aforementioned Tencent executive in which he further explained his decision to turn down the offer.

In addition to his views on China, Jaffe said he wanted to continue dedicating his time to talking about and streaming games on his YouTube channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

UPDATE: Following the publication of this story, Jaffe also shared what appears to be correspondence with the aforementioned Tencent executive in which he further explained his decision to turn down the offer.

In addition to his views on China, Jaffe said he wanted to continue dedicating his time to talking about and streaming games on his YouTube channel.

hum...i mean...nothing here makes me think it's an email lmao. he could've written this today

EDMIX

lol this just sounds like he is trolling people.

doubtmeme

Semi OT, where the fuck is LA Noire 2? aka NY Noire? lol

Kdad

They're near unavoidable now...they've got money invested in/with everything/everyone. If I can avoid them I do.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Also, he mentioned this on a podcast that's locked behind a paywall. If his intention was to virtue signal and get maximum reach, he would do an interview with IGN instead. Not some independent podcast that maybe a few thousand people will listen to.

Because virtue signaling only happens on an IGN and up level.

AmuroChan

Because virtue signaling only happens on an IGN and up level.

That's not what I said. I said if he wanted "maximum reach". Also, have some context and know the audience. Who is he virtue signaling to exactly on Sacred Symbols? That community hates virtue signaling and all things woke.

Rykan

Nothing to discuss here with a no politics rule in place as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad he made a decision that he is comfortable with and he seems to be doing quite alright for himself.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

EMH0twc.jpg

Last edited:

gypsygib

I would expect nothing less from the person who made Kratos, probably the greatest fictional example of will (kinda hatred/vengence) prevailing against insurmountable power and adversity in a while. How many times did that dude literally fight and crawl his way out of death and hell.

If videogames and comics are the hot commodity for Hollywood ideas right now, GOW would be an amazing series. Greek and Norse mythology plus gratuitous violence and sex, and themes of defeat, loss, and triumph against all odds and gods. Consumate winner. Sony could have a Vikings on their hands but more popular. Greatest mass appeal anti-hero is 20 years.

Last edited:

TexMex

Yeah sorry. I like both of them. Big Colin fan.

But he rails against China and Tencent every single week. Every beat of his story just sounded like it was fabricated specifically to what Colin would want to hear. Little too perfect and that twitter screen shot isn’t proof of anything at all.

Top Bottom