• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe discusses No Camera Cuts and Jumping in the latest God of War

The one take idea didn't make or break the game at all. I didn't even realize they were trying something like that until I read about it.

Also who gives a crap about "oners" in videogames, it's not an impressive thing like a film one take.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ragnaroks biggest offense for me is how Ragnarok was shit, you build up to this event for 4+ years and then its a piece of shit level with some fighting in the background. There was so much more that couldve been done with such an awesome setting and build up.

When the first 20 minutes is more epic than the rest of the 40 hours of your game, you royally fucked things up.

gothmog

Gold Member
I like them both. The new style doesn't take anything away from the old games. I really enjoyed the new games but have nothing but fond memories of the originals.

TwiztidElf

Both Dad of Boy games had camera cuts for me. When I went into menus, maps, saving and finishing up each session.
Didn't it cut going into and out of the tree teleporter aswell?

Last edited:
I largely agree, felt like the GoW reboot wasn't made for GoW fans. It became uncharted or TLoU with Kratos. The combat lost its fluidity and dimensionality and it just felt like a generic hack and slash. I suppose for people who liked collecting flowers or carrying around injured pigs it had something to offer.

Thats because some people are "smart dumb", they actually believe the new god of war is this more mature game. Because their told this by others. Lacking an eye for nuance.

In reality the originals had more depth on its mechanics, understood encounter design better, understood variety and pacing and knew how to integrate puzzles into combat instead of always treating it like a seperate section.

If they were more creative, and didnt just copy tlou and souls. You could totally have a jump button and improve the game and keep the same aesthetic.

But they arent THAT creative, they still have the outdated idea that jumping would be too cartoonish or something. Despite the fact that they leap in cut scenes to great heights. (Baldur, Thor etc). They think that making kratos the way he is now...agreeable. Is going to make him more likeable to everyone.

Because a bunch of blue haired betas get all flustered when you have a dude thats swole and shirtless wanting to purely fuck up who fucked him over. Fuckin chicks in the meantime lol

His homeless callers are the worst.

Also as a fan of both the first 3 games and the last 2, the last 2 games sold more than the first 3 games combined by like 2.5x

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ragnaroks biggest offense for me is how Ragnarok was shit, you build up to this event for 4+ years and then its a piece of shit level with some fighting in the background. There was so much more that couldve been done with such an awesome setting and build up.
Yup, it was super unsatisfying after all that build up and having Ragnarok on your fucking title.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I thought this was a fairly interesting discussion he had with his patreons. He says it probably wasnt worth the effort. Especially when they sacrificed the scale and cuts to big epic bosses in favor of intimacy.

Someone called it Pretentious hogwash (not Jaffe) and I agree. GOW is basically TLOU with Kratos, and Neil was able to create that intimacy without resorting to this nonsense no camera cut trend.

God of War is just a different franchise with a far larger scale and boss fights, and if this pointless exercise in achieve cinematic perfection is impacting the scale and the actual gameplay experience then it needed to be removed IMO. My heart sank when I saw Thor and Jogmunder fight in the distance from 3 miles away for a total of two seconds before thor sent him back in time. It was extremely underwhelming just like the entire finale when they had ragnorak come in and you dont even fight him. Was it because they ran out of time after creating a 50 hour campaign or because their ridiculous insistence of keeping the no camera cut rule kept them from doing anything too epic?

Jaffe didnt have an issue with the lack of a jump button and I didnt either, but it definitely limited some mobility in combat encounters.

Thoughts?

When he describes his experience about being blown away initially and then bored 6 hours later... that exactly aligned with my feelings on the game. I'm also always disappointed when you're in a game as linear as GOW is.... and then see one of these "you don't have that ability yet" obstacles in your way. When you've seen your 10th one of those it is just obnoxious.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Also as a fan of both the first 3 games and the last 2, the last 2 games sold more than the first 3 games combined by like 2.5x

Shit, it is almost like gaming is more accepted in the modern day than it was in the 2000s! Who would have thought.

Three

GoW Ascension tried pulling the camera back further and further in the GoW franchise to incorporate bigger fights with more enemies and failed miserably. GoW 2018 and Ragnarok made the right call. The camera matches and goes with the aiming mechanic in gameplay perfectly.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned
I absolutely dreaded every time the gameplay was about to shift to Atreus. Character swapping in games is a big no for me. It ruins continuity. Let's say you just bought some new moves weapons or just anything and now you're locked out of using it. Also why would you wanna play as someone other than Kratos in God of War.

Mr.Phoenix

I do not agree at all. The older formula of GOW was lost on me after GOW3. I probably would not have got GOW2018 if they hadn't made the changes they made.

And I don't even know why people listen to this guy... I find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks that any GOW before GOW2018 was a better game. GOW2018 improved the formula in every single way. And they sure as hell did something right, cause not only did it sell to over 20M people, they rode that fine line between enthusiast and mainstream.

And idk if this is just a nostalgia thing, but I think people should go back and pay GOW1,2 and 3... I made the mistake of trying to repay 2... whats that thing they say about meeting your idols?

Hot5pur

God of war 2018 may as well have been called something else and you could easily replace the main character and you wouldn't even know it's a GoW game.

No platforming puzzles
No environmental combat puzzles
Puzzles that are there are braindead throw the axe at some letters, or move this cart
Gone are the huge scale epic fights
Gone is the aerial combat
Gone is the multi-directional freeform combat
Gone is the cool execution mini game
Gone is the feeling that you are a complete badass who wrecks fools

Instead we got God of parenting and walking simulators.

Oh and let's not forget the pointless RPG system they tacked on top that adds nothing to the game.

Just hurt too much to see one of my favorite franchises destroyed.

I really need to play God of War 3 again, does the remastered version hold up on PS5? Any news on a potential remake or remaster for PS5? As people mentioned, my favorite element of God of War games was the scale. I'll never forget the epic Poseidon, Cronos, Hades fights. Truly mindblowing, especially at the time.

I played like an hour of God of War 2018 but as others have mentioned, it didn't really feel like classic over the top god of war I was craving and why does it seem like all these Sony games are having some Father/son, Father/daughter relationships? My best guess is that Sony thinks that all the people that grew up with PS1/PS2/PS3 (core fans) probably have kids now so they made it relatable?

Sounds like the new ones don't have puzzles though which I appreciate, always thought they sucked in the classic games

Neolombax

It's just different styles for the game, I like them both. I would rather experience something new to be honest.

RCU005

No camera cut worked wonderfully for the first game because it was 100% Kratos and Atreus. It was garbage in the second game and made things a lot worse.

I have to agree! I kept wondering how better would many scenes be if they weren’t made with no cuts. Also, it affected the interactions with characters.

I still feel the game was great, but they could’ve done more. I guess the rush to release a sequel and also making it for PS4, played a part too.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So all franchises have seen a bump from 5 million a copy to 20 million?

Franchises across the board have seen remarkable increases in sales compared to the early 2000s. This isn't new or surprising. Not sure who you are fooling trying to compare the sales of games prior to the normalization of gaming to today's titles.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No camera cuts it’s stupid. Only serves to measure the game worse and you never think about it. It’s not impressive since you don’t think about it.

Franchises across the board have seen remarkable increases in sales compared to the early 2000s. This isn't new or surprising. Not sure who you are fooling trying to compare the sales of games prior to the normalization of gaming to today's titles.

You're off your rocker here if you think a game selling 20 million copies is par for the course.

mrmustard

Banned

Not a surprise. Sony spent easily >100 miliion each for marketing 2018 and 2022 GOW plus they sold millions via bundles (escpecially 2002 because of console shortages). I don't remember much marketing for the old God of Wars and marketing sells games.

Not a surprise. Sony spent easily >100 miliion each for marketing 2018 and 2022 GOW plus they sold millions via bundles (escpecially 2002 because of console shortages). I don't remember much marketing for the old God of Wars and marketing sells games.

Maybe too young to remember, but yes, these games were HEAVILY marketed. God of War was the biggest non-Gran Turismo game Sony made up to that point. Each sequel was an event.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're off your rocker here if you think a game selling 20 million copies is par for the course.

A sequel in modern day to a well known franchise will sell far more than the games in the early 2000s. Not sure how many times I need to spell it out for you without you trying to twist it into some strawman argument.

Do better and drop the retarded warring.

Aaron Olive

I largely agree, felt like the GoW reboot wasn't made for GoW fans. It became uncharted or TLoU with Kratos. The combat lost its fluidity and dimensionality and it just felt like a generic hack and slash. I suppose for people who liked collecting flowers or carrying around injured pigs it had something to offer.
A generic hack and slash is exactly what it’s predecessor’s was before 2018 and what made it a popular hit.

Banned
It's too perfect that they had to make up shit as negatives.

yeah, it's too perfect at being a mediocre themepark ride for casual gamer dads.

Harold Pain GIF by Kiszkiloszki

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I thought this was a fairly interesting discussion he had with his patreons. He says it probably wasnt worth the effort. Especially when they sacrificed the scale and cuts to big epic bosses in favor of intimacy.

Someone called it Pretentious hogwash (not Jaffe) and I agree. GOW is basically TLOU with Kratos, and Neil was able to create that intimacy without resorting to this nonsense no camera cut trend.

God of War is just a different franchise with a far larger scale and boss fights, and if this pointless exercise in achieve cinematic perfection is impacting the scale and the actual gameplay experience then it needed to be removed IMO. My heart sank when I saw Thor and Jogmunder fight in the distance from 3 miles away for a total of two seconds before thor sent him back in time. It was extremely underwhelming just like the entire finale when they had ragnorak come in and you dont even fight him. Was it because they ran out of time after creating a 50 hour campaign or because their ridiculous insistence of keeping the no camera cut rule kept them from doing anything too epic?

Jaffe didnt have an issue with the lack of a jump button and I didnt either, but it definitely limited some mobility in combat encounters.

Thoughts?

I think the decision to tell GoW 2018 without cuts was brilliant and it made sense in terms of what that game wanted to accomplish, to personalize the story, and give a sense of place and continuity and intimacy.

But in Ragnarok it felt shoe-horned in because the last game did it. Especially because it actually did cut, and jump places and perspectives many times, but they just made it visually continuous. It was utterly silly. If you're not going to commit to that style of storytelling then don't do it.

My thoughts are simple, GOW 18 and Ragnarok make the previous God of Wars look and feel like cartoons made for 16 year olds.

Dems the breaks

That's what most games are, so I actually appreciate the honesty of the old games' edginess. I like the gameplay of the new ones, but it's cringeworthy whenever they try to go moral, when ultimately, they're still focus-tested hack'n'slays with cliche writing.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah try it in the hardest mode and wear a diaper just in case.

I played it in the hardest mode. that's what I usually do with modern games.

all that does is make the combat even worse tbh. but I mean... if you take away the challenge it wouldn't have anything left so...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I played it in the hardest mode. that's what I usually do with modern games.

all that does is make the combat even worse tbh. but I mean... if you take away the challenge it wouldn't have anything left so...

Can't take you seriously, really. If the peak of the gaming industry is considered "nothing left" then you may as well quit gaming as a hobby and enjoy something else as there is nothing else that provides more.

A sequel in modern day to a well known franchise will sell far more than the games in the early 2000s. Not sure how many times I need to spell it out for you without you trying to twist it into some strawman argument.

Do better and drop the retarded warring.

Name me 10 games from the early 2000s that currently sell 20 million copies in sequel iterations.

Metal Gear Solid isn't.
Tekken isn't
Kingdom Hearts isn't
Jak and Daxter isn't
Ratchet and Clank isn't
Gran Turismo isn't
Halo isn't

Honestly, what the hell are you even talking about?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Name me 10 games from the early 2000s that currently sell 20 million copies in sequel iterations.

Metal Gear Solid isn't.
Tekken isn't
Kingdom Hearts isn't
Jak and Daxter isn't
Ratchet and Clank isn't
Gran Turismo isn't
Halo isn't

Honestly, what the hell are you even talking about?

And you continue to double down on the strawman argument. Have fun talking to yourself, warrior.

sncvsrtoip

I personaly enjoyed this no camera cuts and thought it was quite cleverly done, funny, dont apriciate it in movies. About sacrificing big battles, there were few really big enemies but indeed they could go more epic without it.

Top Bottom