• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe to Phil Spencer: 'You suck...... get some therapy.'

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Calls him out for his comments on the delay. Compares his own struggles producing a game and says Phil simply might not be good at producing games. That this isnt a one off. See more below:

Harsh words, but I get it. This isn't something new with Xbox studios. It's not just about the delays, it's about the constant BS PR that accompanies any bad news but things never really truly improve. He took over from Don Matrick as CEO in June of 2013. 9 years and $85 billion later, and it's the same song and dance when it comes to missed first party expectations. Not to mention, he had been head of Xbox game studios since 2008. Maybe he's good at acquisitions but not actually managing these studios? Despite a good year last year, Xbox is set to end the first two years of next gen without any next gen games so Jaffe calling him out on this 'We get it' PR is completely understandable. It's like 'Do you really?', 'Do you really get it?'

Link to full stream here:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tbf Microsoft said cross gen games for two years or up until the end of 2022. Maybe that was the plan. Lol just halo and forza. You can't have cross gen games if there's no games at all....

genius GIF

Robb

Gold Member
I agree that MS have pulled this line way to many times. At this point their slogan should be:

Xbox - Just wait until next year, every year

I will say that I hadn’t been interested in Xbox at all until Spencer took over though. I think he has done an amazing job at turning things around and showing that MS is all in on gaming.

Last edited:

Killer8

David Jaffe has been unhinged for a while. Failed has-been who should really know better about the realities of game development. Is he aware that Phil Spencer had nothing to do with the way the studio was run for most of Starfield's development?

Belthazar

I agree that MS have pulled this line way to many times. At this point their slogan should be:

Xbox - Just wait until next year, every year

I will say that I hadn’t been interested in Xbox at all until Spencer took over though. I think he has done an amazing job at turning things around and showing that MS is all in on gaming.

He's good at PR, I'll give him that... But what substantial change has he actually delivered in Xbox's output? I mean, Gamepass is great and all but it's just a business model. Where's the content?

SlimySnake

Tbf Microsoft said cross gen games for two years or up until the end of 2022. Maybe that was the plan. Lol just halo and forza. You can't have cross gen games if there's no games at all....
this is something i brought up last year or maybe it was at launch when they showed up without any games, not even cross gen. I think this was before they announced Forza Horizon 5 so Halo was literally the only AAA cross gen game they had at that point so I was like "hey its just one game, everything else is next gen, MS gets it!" But nope, they actually had nothing other than Halo which was originally a 2020 title for the first 2 years. Not even cross gen games. After FH5's announcement, he had 2 games for the first two years.

So what exactly was he trying to say when he defended his cross gen approach? This was before the Bethesda acquisition so Redfall and Starfield werent in the picture either. Did he just make those comments to hide the fact that none of his next gen games would be ready before 2023?

Don Mattrick did far more with far less back in 2013 for the Xbox one launch

Jaffe is right, what is going on at Microsoft? Games have nothing tangible to show for like 4 years? Really? Are they just wasting years in pre production and have no clue what they’re making?

Why is Matt Booty not fired? Or Bonnie?

Don’t spend $70B on Activision when you can spend far less fixing your massive internal management problems

Nickolaidas

Banned
A guy who looks like he's currently vlogging in the dark of his mother's basement criticizes a guy who pitches 60 billion dollar acquisitions and tries not to give his audience another cyberpunk 2077.

Jesus, the guy ripped off Devil may Cry and gave it an ancient Greece skin and now thinks he's fucking special.

David Jaffe has been unhinged for a while. Failed has-been who should really know better about the realities of game development. Is he aware that Phil Spencer had nothing to do with the way the studio was run for most of Starfield's development?
It's not just about Bethesda. It's about the fact that none of their studios seem to have anything lined up for this year and that falls on Phil managing them. It's your job to make sure you have games lined up every year for your customers. Phil has routinely been bad at this just as Jaffe said.

Last edited:
It's not just about Bethesda. It's about the fact that none of their studios seem to have anything lined up for this year and that falls on Phil managing them. It's your job to make sure you have games lined up every year for your customers. Phil has routinely been bad at this just as Jaffe said.

Exactly

Where is The Initiative?

Where is Rare?

Where is The Coalition?

Where is Ninja Theory?

These are studios that haven’t released games in 3-5 years!!

And worse, they’ve shown no tangible gameplay whatsoever. You’re telling me that not one of them can get a game out to fill a huge void in 2022?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Where's the content?
I’m fairly sure they push out more content now than before (although I never owned an Xbox prior to Series X). Just with the purchase of Obsidian, Inxile, Doubblefine, Ninja theory and Compulsion the first party studios have been pushing out a lot more than just ‘Gears and Forza’ which I recall some people used complained about. Probably myself included.

Even Bethesda have pushed out new games post acquisition with Deathloop and Ghostwire.

SlimySnake

Jaffe is right, what is going on at Microsoft? Games have nothing tangible to show for like 4 years? Really? Are they just wasting years in pre production and have no clue what they’re making?

Don’t spend $70B on Activision when you can spend far less fixing your massive internal management problems
Bonnie, Matt Booty, Spencer all have to go. Jaffe is right. They continue to talk the good talk time and time again. Like when do we say enough is enough? I mean how are you going to launch Halo as a 10 year service game and have nothing lined up for months? What was the plan here? Now we are delaying seasons? Seasons? Why does she still have a job?

Matt booty has been head of XGS since what 2013 when Phil took over Don's job? How do you get to keep your job after launching with zero games? cross gen or otherwise and then punting the first two years? He was saved by Phil when they bought Bethesda and got two free exclusives for 2022, but the man had nothing lined up from ANY of his 16 studios. 16. and no next gen games for two years. now 24 including bethesda and nothing for the first two years.

Phil has been fine with acquisitions. Minecraft, Zenimax, Activision, Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Obsidian, the man knows how to spend money, but he cant keep stringing us along year after year. At some point, someone has to go.

Get Shawn Layden. He was done dirty by Sony and Jim Ryan. The man knows how to run productive studios. He will go up against Jimbo with extra motivation and just kill it. I am sure of it. Stay away from talky used car salesmen types like Phil Harrison, Reggie, Jack Tretton and Herman Hurst. Go for guys who dont like to talk and just know how to get shit done. I am tired of excuses and being talked down to.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
this is something i brought up last year or maybe it was at launch when they showed up without any games, not even cross gen. I think this was before they announced Forza Horizon 5 so Halo was literally the only AAA cross gen game they had at that point so I was like "hey its just one game, everything else is next gen, MS gets it!" But nope, they actually had nothing other than Halo which was originally a 2020 title for the first 2 years. Not even cross gen games. After FH5's announcement, he had 2 games for the first two years.

So what exactly was he trying to say when he defended his cross gen approach? This was before the Bethesda acquisition so Redfall and Starfield werent in the picture either. Did he just make those comments to hide the fact that none of his next gen games would be ready before 2023?

I am understanding that covid fucked a lot of stuff, so I could see a 2022 release for starfield was on the cards at some point but it would have probably launched in true Bethesda fashion. MS and Phil took one look this month and probably thought "nope" it can't launch like this.

A lot of games have been delayed and Microsoft just don't have the quantity to fill the gaps. Tough times for them and their fans like myself.

I've never bought more lego in my life.....this gen is rough. I've never even bought lego lol now I gave a shelf full thanks to gamepass and slower releases.

At least im chipping through my back log.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Projection. Loved ones tell him this constantly and it resonates, so it's always gnawing at him.
I've been in therapy on and off since I was 20.

I see ZERO shame in therapy; saying someone needs therapy is NOT an insult; it's a suggestion that perhaps Phil would be happier (and certainly more successful) if he figured out why he can't seem to see what has been clear as day to so many others for years. And that is: he's not good at running product development. Guess what? Jim Ryan probably isn't either. Phil is AMAZING at a number of things and I want to see Gamepass succeed because I believe in his vision and what it can bring to the medium of games. But the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to recognize this very clear flaw suggests he's got a mental blind spot to the issue.

Again tho: never let ANYONE shame you into not going to therapy if you think you need it. Therapy is SO important, even if it's just a check in with an objective source 1-2 times every few years. Our world would be a MUCH happier and safer place if everyone got some therapy. I have no doubt about this.

Jaffe

SlimySnake

I am understanding that covid fucked a lot of stuff, so I could see a 2022 release for starfield was on the cards at some point but it would have probably launched in true Bethesda fashion. MS and Phil took one look this month and probably thought "nope" it can't launch like this.

A lot of games have been delayed and Microsoft just don't have the quantity to fill the gaps. Tough times for them and their fans like myself.

I've never bought more lego in my life.....this gen sucks. I've never even bought lego lol now I gave a shelf full thanks to gamepass and slower releases.

At least im chipping through my back log.
i have no doubt covid caused the starfield delays. My questions is the logic behind greenlighting cross gen games in october of 2018 after they shipped forza horizon 4. there was no covid back then. they chose to release a bunch of games in 2019 knowing full well these studios could not turn around and release games within the first 2 years of the console's life cycle. No one knew about covid in 2019. It was just poor planning before covid affected game development.

Bonnie, Matt Booty, Spencer all have to go. Jaffe is right. They continue to talk the good talk time and time again. Like when do we say enough is enough? I mean how are you going to launch Halo as a 10 year service game and have nothing lined up for months? What was the plan here? Now we are delaying seasons? Seasons? Why does she still have a job?

Matt booty has been head of XGS since what 2013 when Phil took over Don's job? How do you get to keep your job after launching with zero games? cross gen or otherwise and then punting the first two years? He was saved by Phil when they bought Bethesda and got two free exclusives for 2022, but the man had nothing lined up from ANY of his 16 studios. 16. and no next gen games for two years. now 24 including bethesda and nothing for the first two years.

Phil has been fine with acquisitions. Minecraft, Zenimax, Activision, Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Obsidian, the man knows how to spend money, but he cant keep stringing us along year after year. At some point, someone has to go.

Get Shawn Layden. He was done dirty by Sony and Jim Ryan. The man knows how to run productive studios. He will go up against Jimbo with extra motivation and just kill it. I am sure of it. Stay away from talky used car salesmen types like Phil Harrison, Reggie, Jack Tretton and Herman Hurst. Go for guys who dont like to talk and just know how to get shit done. I am tired of excuses and being talked down to.

Not sure about Shawn Layden, probably the weakest Sony exec ever

Shannon Studstill definitely

Killer8

He's good at PR, I'll give him that... But what substantial change has he actually delivered in Xbox's output? I mean, Gamepass is great and all but it's just a business model. Where's the content?
People forget that when Phil took over, Xbox had basically nothing. The meme that Xbox was just Halo, Gears and Forza was 100% true. Check out the wiki page for MS Studios. They only bought up studios starting in 2018, and obviously they'd need to wrap up production on current projects before they could start making Xbox exclusives. So call it a 2019 start really. Then we had a global pandemic delaying everything and the fact that games now often need 4+ year dev cycles. People have extremely unreasonable expectations about how quickly these studios can turnaround content (which some already have btw).

He's also lead two successful Xbox console launches (One X and Series S/X) after the relative failure of the Xbox One, plus oversaw Game Pass. Xbox revenue has tripled so his overlords are happy too. Phil is doing an incredible job resurrecting a dying brand that MS even considered ending.

Sometimes shit just works out that way due to key games needing more time (and because of a pandemic) - it did for PS5 last year and I didn't see any sperg fits from Jaffe demanding Jim Ryan seek therapy.

Jennings

I've been in therapy on and off since I was 20.

I see ZERO shame in therapy; saying someone needs therapy is NOT an insult; it's a suggestion that perhaps Phil would be happier (and certainly more successful) if he figured out why he can't seem to see what has been clear as day to so many others for years. And that is: he's not good at running product development. Guess what? Jim Ryan probably isn't either. Phil is AMAZING at a number of things and I want to see Gamepass succeed because I believe in his vision and what it can bring to the medium of games. But the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to recognize this very clear flaw suggests he's got a mental blind spot to the issue.

Again tho: never let ANYONE shame you into not going to therapy if you think you need it. Therapy is SO important, even if it's just a check in with an objective source 1-2 times every few years. Our world would be a MUCH happier and safer place if everyone got some therapy. I have no doubt about this.

Jaffe
Hey, David Jaffe is a real person. I didn't know this. Now I feel bad. I'm sorry for cracking wise at your expense, davidjaffe davidjaffe

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And that is: he's not good at running product development. Guess what? Jim Ryan probably isn't either. Phil is AMAZING at a number of things and I want to see Gamepass succeed because I believe in his vision and what it can bring to the medium of games. But the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to recognize this very clear flaw suggests he's got a mental blind spot to the issue.
Oh Jim Ryan is just as clueless, but who would you replace Phil with? What about your pal Shannon?

BTW, do you think it was a good idea to make GOW Ragnorak cross gen knowing it would take 4-5 years to make?

Not sure about Shawn Layden, probably the weakest Sony exec ever

Shannon Studstill definitely

Killer8

Mattrick was a disaster for Xbox who literally almost killed the brand. The hole his leadership left behind is what Spencer has had to spent the last 8 years trying to fix.

Phil needs to fire the people who have been failing to produce games
If this were 2016 maybe but not anymore Phil was just Head of Xbox then but he got promoted to CEO of Microsoft Gaming
after he got them to buy Bethesda and Activision there is no greather flex than that the man will never be fire his job security is set in stone now Phil is the one doing the firing lol

onesvenus

Never know Phil Spencer was producer on all those games 🤦‍♂️
It's true that saying that they heard the feedback about users wanting quality and consistency is crazy. What were they expecting if not that?

Warablo

I mean if the game isn't ready, the game isn't ready. No sense pushing it out. I think Phil has done a great job but it all hinges now on how these games come out because we haven't seen shit from all these studios.

Mattrick was a disaster for Xbox who literally almost killed the brand. The hole his leadership left behind is what Spencer has had to spent the last 8 years trying to fix.

I mean, kind of?

Yeah the unveiling of Xbox one was disastrous messaging, but he at least delivered on getting early next gen games signed and released

Phil just had to release good hardware and create GP, that doesn’t take 8 years of your time

The studios are mismanaged under his leadership, enough is enough

Top Bottom