• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe wasn't sold on a PS5 until he saw the extended gameplay demo of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. PS5 system seller confirmed?

Did Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart became system seller for you after watching the extended gameplay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

One of GOW's Founding fathers, known developer Mr. David Jaffe made an incredible revelation today in a reaction video to the recent extended gameplay demo of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Mr. Jaffe has come out so impressed with the demo that he is now fully onboard the PS5 train - whereas before he was lukewarm about the console. For Mr. Jaffe it's literally a system seller. Watch the video for yourself. Like and subscribe and all that good stuff - support the dev... I'm shameless I know...

Also the poll :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

The Shepard

Spiderman is the system seller for me even though its staring the b team spiderman and its a budget release, The first game is probably my fave superhero game ever. It's about time we seen some more games.

Last edited:

llien

This does not even remotely look next gen to me.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was PS4 footage.

WTF BBQ.

GoW is the system seller in my case.

Orta

Banned
No interest. Ratchet and Clank has always been a cheap B-list mascot for me. File alongside Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Banjo Kazooie, etc. Certainly not a system seller in my opinion.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Not sold here. It takes more than one game to sell me on a console, and I'm not interested in mascot games anyway.

But I'll probably be playing the hell out of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Crusader Kings 3 way into the next-gen release window, anyway.

Last edited:

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
It depends of the price. If the PS5 cost 600$ and Rachet 70$. Forget it...

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
The real question is, why wasn't he sold on PS5 before? does he know something about the power difference that we don't?

I was already sold day 1. These games are great but I think that one in a generation is enough since they all are a bit same-y. As far as the graphics go, it looks great but so did the last game. I think we are just getting to the point of diminishing returns on pure technical horsepower. I'm sure there are highly impressive details that you can find in still shots but are completely overlooked when actually playing the game. Overall the game looks fantastic but I really dont know how much more they can do with an art-style like this.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It could look as good as real life... and even then I wouldn't consider this game a system seller, because graphics aside it's a platformer with some shooting like it was in the PS2, nothing too impressive.

I kinda wish they stopped adding things like raytraced fur and dedicated those resources to more impresive things, like a better IA or some new crazy gameplay mechanics. (No, I don't consider scripted rifts a mechanic)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Do you guys think this will be another $40 game like the last two? Or $50? Or $70?

Would that make a difference for anyone?

CAB_Life

R&C has never been top tier AAA system seller material (and that’s okay); it’s an upper mid-tier franchise that nicely fills in the platforming gaps in Sony’s portfolio.

I don’t see how a next gen iteration will suddenly change consumer apathy and tastes.

yurinka

Ratchet has his fans, but I think the first system sellers will be Spiderman: Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Cyberpunk 2077, COD, AC Valhalla and Watchdogs Legion, even if most of them are also available in PS4 or Xbox.

PlayStation has a very rich library, huge and diverse of a lot of great games that appeal a ton of player groups and niches. Some of these key games are multi, some are exclusive. Some are big, some are small. Ratchet is a piece of that big puzzle: it may be a system seller for some. Other ones won't care about it and will get the new PS to play the latest COD with better visuals in the newest PlayStation. Other ones will buy it to play fighting games because traditionally PlayStation is the fighting games machine and now it will be the best device for fighting games in terms of input lag and online multiplayer because it will be the only console with wifi 6, bluetooth 5.1 and USB-C, and will be BC with the insane PS4 fighting game library.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I'm 100% with Jaffe in that Ratchet looks very well produced, solid, but I have the same gripe with the game as I did Halo (visuals aside): the AI looks brain-dead. The common rebuttal is that they were probably running through an easy difficulty setting for demo purposes, but these demos are where you're supposed to show off strengths like challenging and/or dynamic encounters.

I need to see gameplay improvements compared to the current generation and that's a very low bar none of the major players have really crossed yet.

Every Ratchet and Clank game I've ever played was less fun than those Lego games they pumped out for every licensed property.

It says a lot. It's just feels like mush to play these games, even for the mush category in which they reside.

I have no interest in Ratchet, and for the general public Spider-Man will be the system seller along with current gen upgrades like Cyberpunk.

T-Cake

I was excited for PS5 with the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo but that Ratchet and Clank game doesn't look vastly different to the PS4 Pro R&C game. *shrugs*

Karak

I don't have near the money to get a system based on one game. I am getting them both due to reviewing on them and having to sink the cost but not in a fucking million years would I spend 400 or 500 and sixty bucks just to play a single game.

Carna

Banned
Comes down to price, after hearing those rumors, i'm skeptical towards buying anything related to next gen, this includes franchises i like (i happen to like Ratchet, a lot.)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Right now i would get the ps5 only to play the better versions of horizon and last of us and god of war.

Fbh

It looks good but isn't a system seller for me. Looks like a game I'd definitely play if I had the hardware but not like a game that would make me pick up new hardware just to be able to play it.

Top Bottom